Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Bruceski posted:

Amdapoor being in a giant tree stump. It can be so easy to look at that without actually seeing.

The „trees are not real” conspiracy theory is alive and well in Eorzea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
finished out my 640 left side on the sge, bumped materia, bought a couple 610s for the right (im broke ok). mf slaps pretty hard now

also i've been enjoying blm way too much and ever since getting my anemos staff i'm really thinking about glamming it to hell and back. theyre so vibey

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I've been trying to get over my tankxiety this weekend. Got almost all tanks to level 70 (except paladin but also i don't like playing them much) and people are nice to me and a few times I even claimed main tank during trials and world of darkness.

Also, being level 70 with tomestone gear means I can finally solo ARR extremes so I can get on that horse grind and Khloe is free levels now

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Where'd you stop with PLD? They get a pretty big shift in their rotation at 64 with Divine Magic Mastery and 68 with Requiescat, adding Holy spells to it (though AoE versions don't come until 72).

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Onean posted:

Where'd you stop with PLD? They get a pretty big shift in their rotation at 64 with Divine Magic Mastery and 68 with Requiescat, adding Holy spells to it (though AoE versions don't come until 72).

Around 60 I think? I definitely got Clemency. I'll try and persevere.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Sentient Data posted:

You're not limited to just a controller. It's actually controller+kbm and you can still click and drag and type and everything else

Oh yeah it's just a faff to use my PS5 that way. You can't get a wireless MMO mouse basically!

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
I'm no tank expert, but PLD really felt like a late bloomer to me when I leveled it. It doesn't start feeling really good until you get the holy spirit, holy circle, and Requeiscat.

Mind you, PLD is my only tank that's at cap. Warrior is 62, GNB is 67, DRK is 78 or so and that DRK level is almost entirely off using it to grind FATEs in ShB to unlock stuff. Which I'm still not done doing, somehow.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

pld does start off (and stay) pretty drat slow. but while i'd hesitate to call any of the tanks "complex", except maaaaaaaybe gunbreaker, paladin does benefit greatly from the addition of its magic phase

oh, and gap closer. which it doesn't get until sixty two what the gently caress are you doing cbu3?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

also congratz on getting over/working on the tankxiety. there's really no substitute for just doing it to get more comfortable with a higher profile role. also if someone gives you poo poo for wiping or whatever just ignore them. some of the most fun you can have as a tank is pushing your limits and getting to use less appreciated bits of kit, imo

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

goblin week posted:

Around 60 I think? I definitely got Clemency. I'll try and persevere.

Probably around there then, yeah. Clemency's at 58, and when you first get it it's real bad. The MP cost is ridiculous and you don't have all of your MP regen abilities yet so it's functionally useless. The trait at 64 that adds spells to your rotation also cuts every spell's cost in half, not just the damaging ones, so Clemency becomes a semi-useful emergency tool then. Just don't waste a GCD on it if your healer's alive, it's better used on DPS on those rare occasions the healer goes down.

Oneiros posted:

pld does start off (and stay) pretty drat slow. but while i'd hesitate to call any of the tanks "complex", except maaaaaaaybe gunbreaker, paladin does benefit greatly from the addition of its magic phase

oh, and gap closer. which it doesn't get until sixty two what the gently caress are you doing cbu3?

Oh, it's worse than that. PLD's gap closer is at 74. Because we didn't get it until ShB and rather than giving us one charge early and a second at later levels, they just gave us both real late.

Onean posted:

You should check out the Sylphlands. I forget exactly where, but there's a view of a bunch of their houses hanging over a lake I particularly enjoy there. I thought I had it on imgur, but I couldn't find it so I'll see if I can get a screenshot tonight at work.

Here we go. (These were taken with the Bright 1 setting in /gpose, so the colors are a bit more saturated than normally shown.) This is the lake, though it's hanging lights instead of the houses I remembered.

The houses are a bit away from the shore. (You can see the hanging lights in the middle-left background.)

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Oh those are cute. I want one of these instead of regular housing

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Onean posted:

Oh, it's worse than that. PLD's gap closer is at 74. Because we didn't get it until ShB and rather than giving us one charge early and a second at later levels, they just gave us both real late.

oh god, i brought up the job guide because i couldn't remember the level and confused intervention for intervene

how is it even worse than i remember?!

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

lines posted:

Oh yeah it's just a faff to use my PS5 that way. You can't get a wireless MMO mouse basically!

I was more talking about the complaint about rearranging the hud, just plug in usb or connect a basic mouse via bluetooth and bingo. I also suggest getting a cheap bluetooth keyboard like a k380 for the ps5 just for chat purposes anyway

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I recently played through Eureka primarily with PLD and yeah, I spent a good amount of time huffing and puffing trying to catch up with the pack

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Consummate Professional posted:

My brain worms love the extra benefit of getting moogle tomes and grinding for TT cards at the same time.

this but minions

edit: great,I just got the urge to make a Duke Nukem cosplay alt. is there a flattop hairstyle?

hazardousmouse fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Aug 28, 2023

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Oneiros posted:

oh god, i brought up the job guide because i couldn't remember the level and confused intervention for intervene

how is it even worse than i remember?!
there are two distinct things named Intervention and Intervene? lmao

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
there's also meditation and meditate, but those are at least on different jobs, and serve similar purposes

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
also Spirits Within's icon is loving awful and I keep thinking it's either Interject or Arm's Length

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i actually don't know any of the names of the buttons i regularly press for the jobs i savage raid on

except kaiten, that they stole from me

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Aug 28, 2023

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

goblin week posted:

also Spirits Within's icon is loving awful and I keep thinking it's either Interject or Arm's Length

Wait did they name a skill after the movie?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The sole interesting thing about Paladin job quests is you run into people using Spirits Without.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Saint Freak posted:

The sole interesting thing about Paladin job quests is you run into people using Spirits Without.

lmao

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Saint Freak posted:

The best spin on this joke is when the 75 dungeon boss uses Hound Out Of Heaven

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

goblin week posted:

That's cause interject used to be a part of Spirits Within. PLD in ARR had a GCD stun, an oGCD stun, and an oGCD silence. The silence also did damage, so if you had to save it you lost DPS. Spirits within was changed to just a standard damage dealing oGCD and interject was added for all tanks in StB, iirc.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Mr. Nice! posted:

That's cause interject used to be a part of Spirits Within. PLD in ARR had a GCD stun, an oGCD stun, and an oGCD silence. The silence also did damage, so if you had to save it you lost DPS. Spirits within was changed to just a standard damage dealing oGCD and interject was added for all tanks in StB, iirc.

Wait did most tanks not have an interrupt before then or was that not an issue?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That was when the Interrupt Update happened. Before that interrupts weren't really part of the meta, they existed but the game wasn't really set up to use them.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Fun Shoe
iirc interrupts weren't a thing in ARR, everything in ARR that's interruptable now was a spell that could be counteracted by applying silence to the target

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

there were a few encounters where silences did matter but they were rare. off the top of my head the only one I can think of is a6s, where blaster used an ability called mind blast that did huge damage and confused everybody, and it had to be silenced or you'd die

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Oh I also forgot to mention before the update what could be interrupted via stun or silence (sometimes one, sometimes the other, rarely both) was not marked in any way, so it was down to experiments on the players part.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

silence the ADS nodes in T1 and T2 or suffer the worst paralyze of your life

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
also during the silence era, silencing was primarily the ranged dps job and secondarily the job of a ninja if you had one. i don't think warrior had a silence even though it was consistently the one tank you always wanted. Everything related to party support in the first three patch cycles was extremely unevenly distributed, and the gap between a highly synergistic team and a team without all the tools available to it was very visible. Anyone who started playing shadowbringers or after never got a whiff of this, which I think that's now at least 50% of the active playerbase right

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 28, 2023

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Secondarily the job of the ninja because they might not have the right poison equipped and wiped the team again. Not that this ever happened to me.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Fun Shoe
don't forget monk also had a silence
it was the form bonus on their first aoe gcd

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Red Metal posted:

don't forget monk also had a silence
it was the form bonus on their first aoe gcd

playing with a monk means your melee slots aren't ninja and dragoon, so you're handicapping yourself by losing either piercing down or shade/trick. shadowbringers babies will never know

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Mister Olympus posted:

also during the silence era, silencing was primarily the ranged dps job and secondarily the job of a ninja if you had one. i don't think warrior had a silence even though it was consistently the one tank you always wanted. Everything related to party support in the first three patch cycles was extremely unevenly distributed, and the gap between a highly synergistic team and a team without all the tools available to it was very visible. Anyone who started playing shadowbringers or after never got a whiff of this, which I think that's now at least 50% of the active playerbase right

Correct on WAR having no silence. They just had the oGCD stun and that was it. I also forgot to mention that PLD had a pacification debuff they could apply as well with shield swipe that procced on every block.

Reminder that WAR at ARR launch had no real mitigation except for their enrage stacks. They got 20% life from defiance and a boost of defense per stack. All stacks were used when you used inner beast, which was also your highest DPS button, but you couldn't hit it if you were tanking something serious because you'd lose your only mitigation.

Before Ninja was added in the patch cycle, Bard, Monk, and Paladin were the only silences available, and you had to have one (or two) for a few bits of raiding content. Monk silence was a dps loss because it was on an aoe. Some content you needed a PLD for their GCD stun.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Mister Olympus posted:

playing with a monk means your melee slots aren't ninja and dragoon, so you're handicapping yourself by losing either piercing down or shade/trick. shadowbringers babies will never know

Hey now, monk had utility back then! They could, uh, punch a random buff off the target once every three hits. At a DPS loss. If they remembered they could do that. And most buffs were immune to being removed that way. But oh boy, if the boss was thinking he'd get the full duration out of that Stoneskin, the monk would show him what for!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Oneiros posted:

i actually don't know any of the names of the buttons i regularly press for the jobs i savage raid on

my rotation gcds are always just "1 2 3 4" in my head so i never know their names. couldnt tell you those if you paid me. i usually know my cd names though since im always having to say ill shake this or nascent here or "gently caress i died because my vengeance was late"

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Holy poo poo.
https://twitter.com/protractions/status/1696012455275647195?s=20

Also, there's some replies to that tweet that mention the Chocobro's kwehs will plays the notes for the Chocobo theme when changing stances.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Oneiros posted:

"Okay your rotation is greensong, purplesong, and yellowsong, with purplesong cut a little short, hit yellow whenever greensong has 45 seconds left on cooldown. Hit yellow arrow whenever it comes up, spam blue on GCD otherwise. Purple and red arrows any time they come up unless greensong is 30 seconds away in which case hold red for burst but keep using purple. Make sure both red and blue dots are running, after that you can just hit clamps to refresh them. Your 2min is GCD/greensong/yellowbow-->GCD/normal oGCDs to line timers up-->GCD/clouds/firebreath-->Clamps, then doubleshot when yellow arrow isn't already procced and then squeeze Blue Bow and Purple Chaser in there before timers end."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Awesome! posted:

i usually know my cd names though since im always having to say ill shake this or nascent here or "gently caress i died because my vengeance was late"