Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

veni veni veni posted:

I'm less worried about not being able to do something I'd never want to do, but mildly concerned that the area that the game lets you explore seems to have absolutely nothing to do or look at. I'm guessing you can laser some rocks and leave.

I suppose that's a pretty accurate simulation of actual space. Much beauty, nothing worth a drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Follow-up report on my AC6 experience: after I've unlocked more parts, changing up builds got me to really start enjoying the combat. Before sleep yesterday I've rewatched all the trailers and they're still one of the best gaming trailers I've seen, especially the reveal trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKO1s-CUZvY

The song in the trailer rocks!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARPq6EkEyJM

As does the main menu theme!! (It's been said before but there's some strong Terminator vibes here)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSuBzsRSzVc

The whole soundtrack actually reminds me of Hyper Light Drifter, which has one of the best gaming soundtracks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4TX93uQSFo

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I really hope they put the AC6 soundtrack on streaming services or even to buy on itunes or something soon. At least it's up on Youtube now.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Starfield so bad

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Is it this week or next week that Starfield reviews come out?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

lordfrikk posted:

Follow-up report on my AC6 experience: after I've unlocked more parts, changing up builds got me to really start enjoying the combat. Before sleep yesterday I've rewatched all the trailers and they're still one of the best gaming trailers I've seen, especially the reveal trailer.

It's crazy to think it's only been 3 months since the gameplay reveal, the flow of trailers since then has been extremely strong, and yeah the original teaser kicks so much rear end.

The soundtrack is also wildly good, which is a relief because I thought the soundtracks to BB, DS3, and Sekiro were all legendary...but the music for Elden Ring was sort of just passable to me, def not a thing that stood out in that game.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Aug 28, 2023

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
got this idiot!!!!!!

https://youtu.be/BbVJeB-M17o

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
So out of nowhere my disc drive made a terrible noise on bootup and now it won't read anything--it's clearly trying but it does that first few noise of attempting to and then gives up about 5 times before spitting out a disc read error-- can anybody vouch for popping it open and cleaning the disc drive actually helping to fix that or am I just completely screwed and need to spend what looks like 100~ bucks to get replacement parts for the reader itself.

Already tried just airdusting it, the safe mode database thing and a soft reset by unplugging it for the record.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Climbed the wall.

This is the coolest loving game.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
My AC is just two bazookas on the fastest frame possible.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

bowmore posted:

like a Bethesda game?

In fairness, in any of their other games there would be three or four things on your compass so just a minute's walk could take you to a tomb, a mine, an encampment, a fortress, or maybe a town. Okay, the next step is generally "kill everyone and steal anything" but there is a little more than nothing to explore.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

JBP posted:

My AC is just two bazookas on the fastest frame possible.

:hai:

and yet...the idea of four bazookas beckons

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

TheDarkFlame posted:

In fairness, in any of their other games there would be three or four things on your compass so just a minute's walk could take you to a tomb, a mine, an encampment, a fortress, or maybe a town. Okay, the next step is generally "kill everyone and steal anything" but there is a little more than nothing to explore.

True.
These planet regions look like they are equivalent of Dungeons within earlier Bethesda game.
You step inside vault door or Oblivion gate and explore another map.
When you finish or get bored you step out and go to another region/planet/system.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

oblivion in space alright.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

FireWorksWell posted:

Yup, we're going to be missing out on all that amazing procgen Bethesda exploration

https://twitter.com/SynthPotato/status/1695893575429435892

drat, could be daggerfall in space (but they stop you from wandering too far now, bastards) , but with oblivion/fallout 3 writing and animations and bugs. in space.

Johnny Postnemonic fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Aug 28, 2023

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Kilometers Davis posted:

I want to play Starfield so bad on the PS5 :unsmith:

:same: was gonna play it on the cloud but they canned the $1 free trial right before release so :shrug:

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Why did you steal that red apple? It was clearly marked. :mad:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

On planet earth the cops will similarly kill you if you steal an apple and run away.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Overlord K posted:

So out of nowhere my disc drive made a terrible noise on bootup and now it won't read anything--it's clearly trying but it does that first few noise of attempting to and then gives up about 5 times before spitting out a disc read error-- can anybody vouch for popping it open and cleaning the disc drive actually helping to fix that or am I just completely screwed and need to spend what looks like 100~ bucks to get replacement parts for the reader itself.

Already tried just airdusting it, the safe mode database thing and a soft reset by unplugging it for the record.

I had some trouble with my disc drive being really noisy - it worked, but it was making a terrible rattling/frequency resonance-type noise. Found a tip that said to try popping the console's side panel off, and then loosening and re-tightening the screws on top of the disc drive, the ones with little soft shock absorber-type plastic around them. Fixed it for me.

If your issue is related, maybe it'll work for you too??

These are the ones, btw:

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Instant Grat posted:

I had some trouble with my disc drive being really noisy - it worked, but it was making a terrible rattling/frequency resonance-type noise. Found a tip that said to try popping the console's side panel off, and then loosening and re-tightening the screws on top of the disc drive, the ones with little soft shock absorber-type plastic around them. Fixed it for me.

If your issue is related, maybe it'll work for you too??

These are the ones, btw:

I pried the whole thing open to get to the guts to look for any obvious scuffed pieces but couldn't tell what was the issue so I just ended up putting it all back together but unfortunately no dice.

Pretty sure it must just be the laser not reading the discs cause it takes them fine and ejects normally, just makes multiple attempts then gives up and says it can't read the discs. Sadly my current few games I have lined up I was working on are physical so I'm really boned in regards to playing stuff on it. :smith:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Fix posted:

Is it this week or next week that Starfield reviews come out?

Thursday noon EST is the embargo according to Nextlander, they said they’re delaying their podcast this week so they can talk about it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well finished Blasphemous 2 by abusing the insanely broken time stop magic.

Looks like my game is bugged so I can't get the item needed for the 'real' ending anymore, at least every guide I can find says that you can still get it after you finish the game...

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Gave Balteus a few tries. I think I have a strat. Now, to sleep on it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I reached a point in Trek To Yomi where there's huge amounts of webs everywhere, pods hanging from the trees and the next area is going into a cave. The Rule Of Spiders tells me this is where the game is about to get painfully unfun so I think I'm done.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Lol, AC6 NG++ is so mean. I love it. Just wrapped chapter 1 and it was good times.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I can tell Balteus is the giant road block in AC6 because every time I see someone finally get past it they've finished the game 2 days later.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Gave Balteus a few tries. I think I have a strat. Now, to sleep on it.

Is that strat 'scream endlessly while assault boosting and spamming pulse blade'? Cos that worked for me, after about 200 tries.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I got back into The Last Spell after I quit it forever after a patch ate my save file after 120+ hours.

(It's a, uh... roguelite tactics townbuilding-ish game, and it takes a while to play)

It seems like the PS5 version has an unavoidable softlock in the last phase of the last boss of the last campaign so I think I might quit it forever again? It's hit me twice in a row. This sucks because the game is unbelievably good and I love it and the soundtrack bangs harder than any other soundtrack. But I can't take this anymore.

Funny story about the developer: their support team is responsive and fairly on the ball. A while back I was complaining about the console UI on Twitter (it's very very obviously a PC game ported sloppily to consoles, and it runs fine but the UI is right down to its bones designed around a mouse) and its lack of UI scaling (to fix one of its many problems. The game actually shipped with UI scaling enabled, but due to the console UI being sloppily ported the UI scaling slider was inaccessible in the menu that should have contained it. lol). Months later, the official support account responded to say there'd been a patch that addressed some of the things I'd complained about (e: I did not originally tag the developer or the support account, I was just posting to followers as usual, and I guess they were actively namesearching the game). And they did fix those things! But the patch also made my 120+ hour save file unplayable, so regrettably I did not have the emotional response the official support account was hoping for. (Mercifully, I made my decision to quit before wiping my save, so months later when they fixed that issue my save worked again)

I heartily recommend The Last Spell to any lover of tactics and synth metal. Just... don't get it on PS. Sorry.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Aug 28, 2023

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Is that strat 'scream endlessly while assault boosting and spamming pulse blade'? Cos that worked for me, after about 200 tries.

I don't even have a blade equipped at this point, I replaced it with a kick :slick:

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

https://twitter.com/VGC_News/status/1696111388576330077?s=20

lol

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

quote:

VGC’s Saints Row review labelled the game a “buggy, dull mess”

Sure hope those other 2 are decent.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
The bugs have been long fixed

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Has the dull been fixed?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The bugs were unique at least

If you turned on haptics you didn’t get haptics but it did invert your left thumbstick

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
I legit enjoyed it more than 4, the cast is actually likable. I also realize that this will all be personal taste

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

They can't possibly be this incapable of making anything that isn't just the same game with a different face, can they?

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Morpheus posted:

They can't possibly be this incapable of making anything that isn't just the same game with a different face, can they?

i remember how back in the run ups to oblivion, todd would say its bethesda's policy to start completely from scratch and i get reminded of it every time their new game comes out and its like just oblivion in a different skin somehow. and i always lol. gotta think if they took a RGG approach properly, we'd be on elder scrolls xvi by now.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Spending money on tens of thousands of man hours to build a new engine from scratch for every game doesn't make you a good dev it makes you a crap dev

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Spending money on tens of thousands of man hours to build a new engine from scratch for every game doesn't make you a good dev it makes you a crap dev

So does spending thousands of man hours to remake Oblivion:

I guess that's more a crap designer though, can't fault the devs for that.

Edit: Why is this guy's mouth moving like he has a mouthguard in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The guard said "you've violated the law" when I violated the law, can't believe they just copy and pasted Oblivion.