Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Is there a way like in Skyrim to eat an alchemy ingredient to learn the first effect? I'm struggling to get through alchemy writs because it seems that the only way to learn even one effect is to make a potion, so my writs always say that I'm missing something and I have to go online and scroll through lists to see if I happen to have the right ingredient but just don't know it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Dick Trauma posted:

Is there a way like in Skyrim to eat an alchemy ingredient to learn the first effect? I'm struggling to get through alchemy writs because it seems that the only way to learn even one effect is to make a potion, so my writs always say that I'm missing something and I have to go online and scroll through lists to see if I happen to have the right ingredient but just don't know it.

At the alchemy station you can set a potion/poison base ingredient and then add two ingredients, if it says "inert potion" it wont do anything but if it says "unknown potion" and you craft it you will learn the reacting effects of those two ingredients.

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

Dick Trauma posted:

Wait there are people not using addons to do their writs in 3 minutes with no thinking?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Simone Poodoin posted:

At the alchemy station you can set a potion/poison base ingredient and then add two ingredients, if it says "inert potion" it wont do anything but if it says "unknown potion" and you craft it you will learn the reacting effects of those two ingredients.

I'm a console pleb and thats how I do it.

If you wanna get 0pTiMuL and learn all the traits in as little time as possible, this guide gives you a shopping list and an order to make a bunch of poo poo so you can learn them all:

https://benevolentbowd.ca/games/esotu/eso-alchemy-trait-research-curriculum/

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Yeah I’m on console too so no addons for me.

forgot to mention that discovering the traits gives you lots of inspiration so you will level alchemy up a lot doing it

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

Dont worry, theyll introduce paid addons for console soon.

Also, do experience scrolls and double xp weekends affect things like scrying, crafting, and fighters guild levelling? Im pretty new and not sure.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Using the Potion Maker search function to see all the effects that are available in my inventory to unlock has been helpful, but wow... so many combinations! For now I'll see if I can use to to make it easier to craft a specific potion to match the write since the lock list shows what each combo will create.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

floppyspud posted:

Also, do experience scrolls and double xp weekends affect things like scrying, crafting, and fighters guild levelling? Im pretty new and not sure.
No, XP boosts don't affect any of those things.

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

No, XP boosts don't affect any of those things.

So its just character levels and champion points?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

floppyspud posted:

yes, and things that follow XP (companion levels and weapon/class skill lines)

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

floppyspud posted:

And skills on your bars.

Like fighters guild the skill line only raises from killing poo poo.

But each skill in the line can be put on your bar and levelled like any other skill once you unlock them by raising the skill line.

Mages guild, undaunted, psijic order, assault, and support all work the same way, different requirements for each skill line ofc.

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

Ok so its the things that you level by having equipped and doing stuff? So skills, armour, race, weapon, companion, etc? Thanks, that makes sense.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Dick Trauma posted:

Yes. Just ‘use’ it from within your crafting bag. Note you DON’T have to transfer it to inventory first. I didn’t realize that for like a year. :sigh:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I've been running aroung wrothgar desperately trying to get the loving boots, do you think I can get them? No, they keep dropping everything else and other sets on me grr. I'm going to get that pale order ring anyway. I am not the best at combat. I've got a dps sorcerer who's been as killable as a wet sock, its taken me 750cp to get enough magicka to start wearing some stamina gear to not die too fast. Finally I can start clearing public dungeons. If i can get some help for onyx stones I should be ok for the rest of the stuff for the ring. I've got 4 pieces of briarheart, just want the boots and that'll be enough, don't want to overdo it. I've thrown skill points into weapons and I'm actually doing well on my back bar. My aim is to eventually solo undaunted for a while but for now I'm just doing random dungeons to build up CP and questing.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Sets that come from overland are tradeable thus sellable, and body pieces don't tend to be too expensive. Have you looked in guild traders?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Error 404 posted:

Sets that come from overland are tradeable thus sellable, and body pieces don't tend to be too expensive. Have you looked in guild traders?

I've never found one that has anything to sell, tbh i dont know how that works. How would you buy from a guild trader if you're not a member of their guild?

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Aug 28, 2023

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

ewe2 posted:

I've never found one that has anything to sell, tbh i dont know how that works. How would you buy from a guild trader if you're not a member of their guild?

You can search here. It's not comprehensive since it relies on a third-party app uploading data, but it works well enough. It lists the location of the trader, price, time passed, etc.

EU: https://eu.tamrieltradecentre.com/pc/Trade
US: https://us.tamrieltradecentre.com/pc/Trade

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

ewe2 posted:

the default guild trader screen is always blank because ZOS has no idea how to make a functional UI. You have to search to find a something. A blank search will display the entire inventory (over multiple pages) which can be sorted.

ewe2 posted:

I've been running aroung wrothgar desperately trying to get the loving boots, do you think I can get them? No, they keep dropping everything else and other sets on me grr. I'm going to get that pale order ring anyway. I am not the best at combat. I've got a dps sorcerer who's been as killable as a wet sock, its taken me 750cp to get enough magicka to start wearing some stamina gear to not die too fast. Finally I can start clearing public dungeons. If i can get some help for onyx stones I should be ok for the rest of the stuff for the ring. I've got 4 pieces of briarheart, just want the boots and that'll be enough, don't want to overdo it. I've thrown skill points into weapons and I'm actually doing well on my back bar. My aim is to eventually solo undaunted for a while but for now I'm just doing random dungeons to build up CP and questing.
boots drop from delves as do belts. If you're just killing world bosses and public dungeon bosses you'll never get boots or belts.

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Aug 28, 2023

PatentPending
Nov 27, 2007

[1950s eel-based dad joke]
I’m on the US West Coast but play on the EU server, and one of these days I’m going to spend a few weeks logging on in the evening and running around Wrothgar opening chests and smacking bosses until I have a billion briarheart pieces. It seems the most commonly useful armor of all.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

ewe2 posted:

You can buy from any guild trader, you only need to be part of the guild (and have permissions) in order to sell. And yeah you need to search first otherwise they will all look "empty"

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

PatentPending posted:

I’m on the US West Coast but play on the EU server, and one of these days I’m going to spend a few weeks logging on in the evening and running around Wrothgar opening chests and smacking bosses until I have a billion briarheart pieces. It seems the most commonly useful armor of all.

Add in some pvp grinding to buy random loot coffers and you can sell deadly strikes pieces too. Its bis on 2/7 classes and just generally really useful.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Ah poo poo the last lead I need for the pale order ring drops from wrothgar world bosses, gonna have to find a group for that cause I can't solo those.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Simone Poodoin posted:

Ah poo poo the last lead I need for the pale order ring drops from wrothgar world bosses, gonna have to find a group for that cause I can't solo those.

King-Chief Edu is probably the easiest wb and a lot of people usually wander in during the busy hours just because it drops the Pale Order lead. Although I've always had very good success in just asking in chat for help. Even at 2am in a dlc zone usually someone will come help.]

That ring is a game changer.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

the default guild trader screen is always blank because ZOS has no idea how to make a functional UI. You have to search to find a something. A blank search will display the entire inventory (over multiple pages) which can be sorted.

doh! thanks

quote:

boots drop from delves as do belts. If you're just killing world bosses and public dungeon bosses you'll never get boots or belts.

I've been rotating through the delves but not getting the boots.. There was one i was reliably getting briarheart, it might have been the one with that brother-sister elf combo you do the quest for, I'll try that one again.

SplitSoul posted:

You can search here. It's not comprehensive since it relies on a third-party app uploading data, but it works well enough. It lists the location of the trader, price, time passed, etc.

EU: https://eu.tamrieltradecentre.com/pc/Trade
US: https://us.tamrieltradecentre.com/pc/Trade

Thanks I'll check it out.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

1glitch0 posted:

King-Chief Edu is probably the easiest wb and a lot of people usually wander in during the busy hours just because it drops the Pale Order lead. Although I've always had very good success in just asking in chat for help. Even at 2am in a dlc zone usually someone will come help.]

That ring is a game changer.

Ended up taking me a couple hours, killed the two wb I hadnt killed when I did the zone quests and got a bunch of briarheart stuff to sell, not too bad.

Now I need to track down the witch knight pieces and start to practice a two bar setup.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Someone help I can’t stop trying to think of “clever” and lore accurate Argonian names. Currently playing my Nightblade, Drunk-In-Public.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
I'm fond of my girl, Fails-Upward.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Flexes-like-sithis is just a good upright citizen, yessir, not a shadowscale even a little bit!

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Talks-To-Chickens doesn’t think it’s a problem.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Smokes-Hist-Everyday lives a good life.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

OK that gave me the idea to start a new character, an Argonian Templar tank Stumbles-Into-Traps. Should be good for a laugh. Maybe he could be a battlemage, Argonians are fairly balanced...

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

If I don't have a quest for a specific delve should I go in anyway, or wait to see if a quest takes me there?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Delves sometimes have a quest inside. There’s always a skyshard and a delve boss so it’s always worth it to check it out imo.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Delve quest givers are typically standing right outside or somewhere nearby. Look around to see if you see a quest marker and check that.

E: or just inside, yeah

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Pisses-Into-Wind has led a troubled life...

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

My crafting writs are beginning to stack up due to missing components. Should I abandon partially completed writs to try to get a writ I might be able to complete?

I have two characters and collect literally everything I see but I'm still falling short.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
try asking for missing recipes in chat, about a quarter of the time someone just sends me what I need (works better in guild chat)

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Reading further it looks like the nodes you find are somehow connected to your overall crafting skill in the discipline that uses that material as well as how far you've advanced in the sub-skill that unlocks higher level crafting materials. So I might not be seeing beech anywhere on my main because I jumped past that level, and not seeing it on my secondary character because their woodworking is too low.

I didn't realize that my alts would need to manage their crafting skills in order to find nodes to help support the main crafter. I thought I could just use them as all-around collectors and not need to put any points into their crafting. Not sure if there's a way to make this approach work which is a bummer because my alt-itis has always at least helped my primary crafter stay well supplied.

PatentPending
Nov 27, 2007

[1950s eel-based dad joke]
It’s half and half. A high-level character with a low skill will see half ‘high level’ stuff, half ‘low skill’ stuff.

E: It might not be actually 50/50, it could be 70/30 or whatever I don’t know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

you can also buy lower level mats for cheap from guild traders