Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

saccharus posted:

boy, don't have time to go through all my fan mail, the volume is just too high. I will have to choose one. but thanks to everyone who participated.

The NLRB ruling was a major news story last week and everybody on this site who reads actual news was very familiar with it, because it was a big deal and it just happened. I didn't have to google it. it's also not the only reason to care if *checks notes* Donald Trump is president or not. And yeah, you guys understand the ruling so well that you understand it better than everybody who works in labor law (the good and bad), who all say its a huge shift

Look I get it, you guys HAVE to pretend nothing dems do is ever good, that's the only way you can justify empowering republicans to yourselves, when you know it's hurting people

no clue what I did to indicate I was 'mad'

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Almost everyday I know is making much more money than they were before the pandemic, and nobody is having trouble finding a job, and people regularly get new jobs for big bumps.

quote:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4028078&userid=190726&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post531678374

Almost everyday I know is making much more money than they were before the pandemic, and nobody is having trouble finding a job, and people regularly get new jobs for big bumps.

And of course my social circle isn’t fully representative, but it’s not, like, elite. I don’t live in a wealthy area and I have a lot of friends without degrees. Everybody is doing well.

The American system of government is “representative democracy” and not “capitalism.”

quote:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4028078&userid=190726&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post531679304

Then it’s a good thing our system of government is “representative democracy” and not “capitalism.” Go forth and change some minds*; maybe in a decade or two we’ll be somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

gently caress, you just summoned the dual-monarchists

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
i'm a Trianon Truther

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

saccharus posted:

boy, don't have time to go through all my fan mail, the volume is just too high. I will have to choose one. but thanks to everyone who participated.

The NLRB ruling was a major news story last week and everybody on this site who reads actual news was very familiar with it, because it was a big deal and it just happened. I didn't have to google it. it's also not the only reason to care if *checks notes* Donald Trump is president or not. And yeah, you guys understand the ruling so well that you understand it better than everybody who works in labor law (the good and bad), who all say its a huge shift

Look I get it, you guys HAVE to pretend nothing dems do is ever good, that's the only way you can justify empowering republicans to yourselves, when you know it's hurting people

I have friends who work for defence contractors, and they are good people.

quote:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4028078&userid=190726&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post531697695

Let's first off have some perspective that this country is not loving Nazi Germany.

And there are a people who work for GD who are highly credentialed engineers and stuff, but they also have a shitton of unionized blue collar workers; welders, pipe fitters, carpenters, etc. And people without degrees can make good money and have job security and labor protections.

It's just one of those things, I guess, where sometimes the goon attitude feels like,

"Okay, those people are bigots, write them off."
"Okay, those people actively want others to suffer, write them off."
"Okay, these people exploit others to build extravagant wealth, write them off."

And I'm totally on board up until this point. But then we keep going, right?

"Okay, those people are ignorant about trans women in sports. Write them off."
"Okay, these people are cops, write them off."
"Okay, these people served in wars, write them off."
"Okay, these people voted for somebody who supported a war, write them off."
"Okay, these people rented out a property to somebody, write them off."

And then... you keep chipping and chipping away, taking aspects of people and declaring them total all-encompassing black marks on their character, dismissing them as agents of "outright evil" and putting them on your list of those to go up against the wall. And you chip, and you chip, and you chip, until the amount of people left who are deemed sufficiently moral could barely fill a college football stadium. And then you wonder why your populist movement isn't taking off.

You can think whatever you want about people who work in defense. But when you meet them - and it's millions of people, so you certainly meet a lot - tell them to their face that you consider them to be equivalent to Nazis "just following orders." Tell them they have blood on their hands. Hell, some of them might even feel guilty and you might push them into quitting!

But most of them will just loving hate you.

quote:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4028078&userid=190726&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post531697771

My friend Brendan is a really fun guy and you would be sad if he hated you, trust me.

quote:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4028078&userid=190726&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post531697875

I mean, everybody can have a shitlist, and cops are a good group to put on it. You just have to keep it to a certain length, you know?

90%+ of cops get caught in "bigots" or "pro-suffering" anyway.

quote:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4028078&userid=190726&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post531699937

"Just a piece of poo poo."

There are people who work at these companies as not-janitors who support trans rights, who support immigration reform, who support income redistribution, who support racial equality, and who are great fathers and mothers and friends. People who go out of their way to help others. People who volunteer and people who make great art.

You know, people.

Okay, you think anybody who works in defense is beneath contempt. Whoop-ty-do, good for you. Very few people are going to want to sign up for your "my mother/best man/uncle/neighbor is Just a Piece of poo poo" philosophy. It's almost hard to think of a less effective method to get people to reflect on their own complicity in the things our country has done and does. Or to make absolutely anybody want to listen to what you have to say.

quote:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4028078&userid=190726&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post531700115

The real tragedy of our defense industry is just how loving well it works from an economic point of view, and what a waste it is that we use that economic capacity for what we do.

Anybody who lives near large contractors, especially ones that doe a lot of manufacturing, knows what I'm talking about. These are good loving jobs. In my region I think there is a real sense of egalitarianism that comes from having so many skilled, unionized blue collar workers, who are respected by their employer and have rights, representation, and proper compensation. We had a huge amount of layoffs at GD/EB at the end of the Cold War and while it didn’t devastate the area like deindustrialization did in other places, it hurt a lot. Post-GWOT spending has really made things improve here economically; GD has been on a hiring frenzy for years, and almost all levels of education and skill can have a good shot at a job there that pays a living wage.

And that's what happens when the government shells out the big bucks and and attaches conditions to using them like "use unionized workers." But we could be using these smart, hardworking people to do literally anything else. Pharmaceutical development. Building housing. Building transit. Community service. Anything. Maybe that would be a good argument for cutting defense spending - "we could be putting this American excellence to work elsewhere, and making the world a better place" or whatever. Kind of "defund the police" for government job programs. And I bet a huge amount of people in the industry would welcome that shift.

Or we could just call 'em all pieces of poo poo I guess

fizzy has issued a correction as of 14:37 on Aug 28, 2023

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

fizzy posted:

Hey Saccharus as someone who's been out of work for exactly five months as of today, with a newborn, in the worst labor market I've ever had to navigate by far, just wanted to tell you to gently caress off for this one :)

MassTran
Feb 27, 2015

Even the Wall Street Journal released an article a while back admitting the job market is flooded with basically fake job offerings

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

loquacius posted:

Hey Saccharus as someone who's been out of work for exactly five months as of today, with a newborn, in the worst labor market I've ever had to navigate by far, just wanted to tell you to gently caress off for this one :)

"Well me and my friends are doing fine so if anyone is complaining, it must be 100% their fault" is purestrain 2023 Democrat, love to see it on these very forums

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The employment rate is as fake and cooked a statistic as the poverty rate. If you were a desk job worker but now you're slinging doordashes to make rent, you're not unemployed. If you're not looking for work because the job-search process has become too dehumanizing and you need a break, you're not unemployed. If you've been unemployed too long, you're not unemployed because an economist somewhere decided you just don't want it enough. And so on

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

saccharus posted:

Guess what the on-the-record opinion from numerous individuals in Dem leadership is on the desirability of a strong Republican Party.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I'm looking for my first house and man, it's really sinking in how hosed things are. Houses in my area that sold for ~$50000 in 2018 are going for around ~150000 now. I make way more now than pre-covid, but everything spiked in price, so I'm still in the same position, lol.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

loquacius posted:

Isn't it swell how they nod along to the Dems' pet economists saying we need to keep raising interest rates to drive unemployment up and wages down to cool inflation

and then roll in here to brag about what great opportunities there are for every job that ever jobbed

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

VBNMW is a hollow empty strategy which only serves to advance the careers of elected Dems and their staff and whenever someone argues it they invariably have opinions like this behind it

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

fizzy posted:

I have friends who work for defence contractors, and they are good people.

I don't really understand defending loving General Dynamics, which even among contractors is known for lobbying, planting stories in the media, inflating costs, delivering boondoggles and equipment that's stuck in perpetual R&D.

Start small with a company that produces viable equipment as well as civilian products, like Zeiss.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

loquacius posted:

VBNMW is a hollow empty strategy which only serves to advance the careers of elected Dems and their staff and whenever someone argues it they invariably have opinions like this behind it

Those elected dems NEED those careers, have you seen what the job market is like?!?

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Frosted Flake posted:

I don't really understand defending loving General Dynamics, which even among contractors is known for lobbying, planting stories in the media, inflating costs, delivering boondoggles and equipment that's stuck in perpetual R&D.

Start small with a company that produces viable equipment as well as civilian products, like Zeiss.

because when your brain is poisoned with meritocracy for politics and credentialed professionals, that also bleeds over into opinions on corporations so old and large they might as well be government institutions.

Plus liberals are proud of our military might and will remind you of that fact very loudly if you suggest that the government deserves to be overthrown

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

loquacius posted:

The employment rate is as fake and cooked a statistic as the poverty rate. If you were a desk job worker but now you're slinging doordashes to make rent, you're not unemployed. If you're not looking for work because the job-search process has become too dehumanizing and you need a break, you're not unemployed. If you've been unemployed too long, you're not unemployed because an economist somewhere decided you just don't want it enough. And so on

Every lib understood this when Trump bragged about solving unemployment, now they've conveniently forget it. Strange!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I'm sitting in a coffee shop (not a joke; I really am working on my laptop in a local coffee spot) and a couple of old guys a table over are talking about Bernie:
"He's going to new Hampshire; not getting enough attention."
"He's just an old trade union communist"

So Bernie got screwed by the establishment in 2016, folded like a table in 2020, and what did he get for his trouble? He never convinced the guys in this shop (in fairness, they'd probably hate him regardless). The establishment and Twitter libs will never stop blaming him because it was Her Turn. A lot of the left thinks he's a sell out.

Lesson learned: Electoral politics forces you to compromise so that no one likes you.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

loquacius posted:

I remember learning this while getting a degree in economics and thinking "wow so there's a lot of arbitrary bullshit when it comes to unemployment numbers huh"

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

(also economics in general)

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Bishyaler posted:

because when your brain is poisoned with meritocracy for politics and credentialed professionals, that also bleeds over into opinions on corporations so old and large they might as well be government institutions.

Plus liberals are proud of our military might and will remind you of that fact very loudly if you suggest that the government deserves to be overthrown

I have a stack of business cards from GD people and can tell you confidently it's not a meritocracy. They also value their sales guys way more than engineers, we've had to insist they bring the engineers to meetings.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

my bony fealty posted:

the people are crying out, many voices joined in a chorus of "chain probe, chain probe"

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

loquacius posted:

one weird trick to justify statements like "the economy is great!" Unhoused folks HATE it!

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

loquacius posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqRNnIMDkUY

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

saccharus posted:

mellow seas alt, putting my marker down now

edit: oh wait was this already known

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

loquacius posted:

Wait I changed my mind, I read this line and it owns

Lmao thread title pls

Subforum title really

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Bishyaler posted:

Yeah liberalism goes hand in hand with nationalism which is one of the reasons it hands the reins so freely to that other -ism

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

saccharus posted:

banger of a thread title imo

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

loquacius posted:

Wait I changed my mind, I read this line and it owns

Lmao thread title pls

Subforum title really

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

saccharus posted:

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

mellow seas alt, putting my marker down now

edit: oh wait was this already known

lol is it really confirmed? it makes total sense

many people are saying this

Cygnids
Dec 14, 2021

loquacius posted:

Lmao thread title pls

Subforum title really

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

loquacius posted:

know who the only people outside this thread still thinking about bernie sanders are

https://twitter.com/SBeaute_/status/1695823850284482965

lol

https://twitter.com/theduhalde/status/1696156425897029873

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

fizzy posted:

We need more Catholic concentration camp guards minorities cops.

quote:

We particularly hope that in these new conditions more Roman Catholics will wish to join the ranks of the Royal Ulster Constabulary and will offer themselves for service in the new part-time forces, the setting up of which we also envisage.

The practice of reserving a specific proportion of vacancies in the force for Roman Catholics should be discontinued.
Vigorous efforts should be made to increase the number of Roman Catholic entrants into the force

In the light of these changes we hope that there will be, in future, many more people in the community, whether they be Catholics, Protestants or of any other faith and denomination, as well as those who hold no religious beliefs, who will now be willing to join in active support of the police in their necessary and difficult job.

quote:

We feel bound to deplore the extent to which some press and television coverage of these events has resulted in magnifying, in the minds of readers and viewers, the actual extent of the disorders, in generalising the impression of misconduct by the police and of bad relations between police and public, while sometimes failing correspondingly to illustrate the calm which has prevailed in most parts of Ulster, or the degree of deliberate provocation, the danger and the strain under which the police, frequently and for long periods, tried to do their duty, as well as the fact that the great majority acted not only with courage but with restraint. Such impressions may, as in this instance, do harm to the future maintenance of law and order and the restoration of confidence upon which this so largely rests. We wish to take this opportunity to correct the perspective.
Some cops are good people!

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

And another thing, I'm not mad. Don't put in the probe text that I got mad.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Good news for democracy! The first state may be trying to ban political candidates from the ballot without due process, a win for the constitution!

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/14th-amendment-section-3-new-legal-battle-trump/story?id=102547316

quote:

"The disqualification clause operates independently of any such criminal proceedings and, indeed, also independently of impeachment proceedings and of congressional legislation," they wrote. "The clause was designed to operate directly and immediately upon those who betray their oaths to the Constitution, whether by taking up arms to overturn our government or by waging war on our government by attempting to overturn a presidential election through a bloodless coup."

On Tuesday, Bryant "Corky" Messner, a lawyer who lives in New Hampshire, became the first person to announce concrete plans to do just that.

Messner was endorsed by Donald Trump when he ran for a New Hampshire's U.S. Senate seat in 2020. Now, he says that as a veteran and a graduate of West Point, his civic duty compels him to try to keep Trump off the ballot.

"I really don't view myself as turning on Trump, as odd as that sounds," he told ABC News. "I love this country. I've served this country. I've taken an oath to this country. My sons are serving right now and I believe someone's got to step up to defend the Constitution."

Messner first announced his plans on a local radio show, NH Today, on Tuesday morning.

He says he is still doing initial legal due diligence on the topic and finding a lawyer to bring the case. He plans to finance the legal challenge himself and through his own personal network.

New Hampshire's Secretary of State Office confirmed to ABC News that Messner met with Secretary of State David Scanlan Friday to discuss Section 3 of the 14th Amendment.

"Secretary Scanlan will be conferring with the New Hampshire Attorney General and other legal counsel on this issue; however, he believes any action taken under this Constitutional provision will have to be based on Judicial guidance," Anna Sventek, communications director for Scanlan, told ABC News in a statement.

A federal judge in New Mexico barred Otero County commissioner and "Cowboys for Trump" founder Couy Griffin, citing a clause in the 14th Amendment that prohibits those who have engaged in insurrection from serving. Griffin was convicted of a misdemeanor trespass charge. The judge's ruling was the first time in 150 years that the provision has been used to disqualify an official and the first time that a court has ruled the events of Jan. 6 were an "insurrection."

Griffin was arrested on Jan. 8, 2021, on a federal misdemeanor trespassing charge related to the Jan. 6, 2021 insurrection. Griffin was convicted of the charge on March 22 and sentenced on June 17 to 14 days time served, ordered to pay $500 restitution, pay a $3,000 fine, complete community service and one year of supervised release.

1. Very funny how everyone has memoryholed Hillary’s attempt at a bloodless coup in 2016

2. Sure a good thing for democracy if a misdemeanor trespassing charge is all that’s required to ban you for life from our political process

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

loquacius posted:

Ah. I'm not sure what Rhode Island's districts look like but if it's the same one this might explain the fixation

https://twitter.com/ABC6/status/1695945538766541179?t=S731iHKkHgiPBRqGRKoGXg&s=19

Doesn't seem like she has a prayer if so though

Retard Island

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Oh hold on I gotta get my Rhody accent back

Retahdieland

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Homeless Friend posted:

lol of course hes an insane psycho

Hey TJX for linking that insane thread, great memories there.

Also lol this mellow seas post never got probed in SAD

Mellow Seas posted:

Well go ahead, somebody explain to me why Bryant wouldn’t be believed under the standard that says questioning any accusation of sexual assault is unacceptable. I agree that it’s a very heavy club to be swinging around and is going to provoke some very emotional reactions, but I’m not seeing flawed logic.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Shageletic posted:

Hey TJX for linking that insane thread, great memories there.

Also lol this mellow seas post never got probed in SAD

everyone in that thread called for that creep to be perma-banned even some dnd losers they didnt do anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

An eye-popping 77% of Americans feel that President Biden is too old to effectively govern if he wins a second term in office, according to a new survey.

Misgivings about the octogenarian’s age were shared across the board, with 89% of Republicans concerned about Biden’s age hindering a second term and 69% of Democrats feeling the same way, per an Associated Press-NORC poll released Monday.

When asked what words first came to mind when they thought of the president, 41% of respondents answered with some combination of “old,” “outdated,” “aging,” “elderly,” “slow,” “confused,” and “bumbling.”

When asked the same question about former President Donald Trump, 23% answered “corrupt,” “criminal,” “crooked,” “liar” “dishonest” and “untrustworthy.”

Only 51% of respondents felt that Trump’s age would prevent him serving a second term effectively, including 71% of Democrats and 28% of Republicans, the poll showed.