Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

tehinternet posted:

That seems like a really good idea, honestly.

How big is your org and how did it get started if you don’t mind my asking?

500 people, 98% of which are remote. I couldn't tell you how it got started for I've been there less than a year. Probably HR, for there are other general Team rooms, for example a "watercooler" room where people BS and post cat pics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
E: see you answered above already

GreenNight posted:

We have what we call a Genius Bar in Teams that folks pose questions to and everyone in the company has it by default, so someone will pose an excel question and typically someone knows the answer, not IT. It works really well.

This sounds like a pretty good idea!

tehinternet posted:

That seems like a really good idea, honestly.

How big is your org and how did it get started if you don’t mind my asking?

Yeah, this.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

There's a rub on that return to office in San Antonio guy, he's offering me clearance and uhm what I would call an extreme amount of money and I don't get out of bed for less than 150k.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Soooo 151k?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

jaegerx posted:

There's a rub on that return to office in San Antonio guy, he's offering me clearance and uhm what I would call an extreme amount of money and I don't get out of bed for less than 150k.

I mean, if it’s enough to make sense, then do it for a couple years then gtfo.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

jaegerx posted:

You able to live that Security Clearance life?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
posting w/ me invalidates any security clearance so yw

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Hughmoris posted:

You able to live that Security Clearance life?

astral made me lose my long post, short version. I don't want a commitment and I can't live that not-weed life when I realize how much happier and more productive I am on it so yes, I ain't that security life.

also in the clam down stance. who the gently caress needs more than 150k a year?

e:not really astral falt, i just happened to hit that 1 outa 99% error

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 28, 2023

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah I got a lot of poo poo for having edibles at the last Cisco live from the feds when they were doing my clearance.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

jaegerx posted:

also in the clam down stance. who the gently caress needs more than 150k a year?

Coast FIRE life is real.

Maybe it's just me but post COVID everything and I mean everything is just so much expensive especially for anyone who lives in a big city.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
If anyone itt makes more than 150k pm me and I'll let you buy intergenerational indulgences

1k = 1 slang term you're excused from learning

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Coast FIRE life is real.

Maybe it's just me but post COVID everything and I mean everything is just so much expensive especially for anyone who lives in a big city.

I genuinely do not know how most people are doing it. We are very fortunate that we can just absorb the cost because we are both professionals -- that's a terrible term, but I don't know of a better one, white-collar is not the same thing -- but our grocery bills alone for a family of 3 went from maybe $100 or a bit more per week to $300+. Given that most people, if I remember the statistic right, don't have the cash on hand to cover a $600 emergency, I really don't understand how the average person can afford an extra $800 a month or so in food.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

All my close friends and even acquaintances that aren't lawyers, doctors or in tech or some adjacent tech field have multiple jobs and live with roommates.

The weirdest part about all of this is that I get way more flak than I expected for my success. To me, I'm just playing the game. :shrug:

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

This seemingly coordinated push for RTO in September is gonna be real cute as we roll into the yearly fall COVID wave.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

guppy posted:

I genuinely do not know how most people are doing it. We are very fortunate that we can just absorb the cost because we are both professionals -- that's a terrible term, but I don't know of a better one, white-collar is not the same thing -- but our grocery bills alone for a family of 3 went from maybe $100 or a bit more per week to $300+. Given that most people, if I remember the statistic right, don't have the cash on hand to cover a $600 emergency, I really don't understand how the average person can afford an extra $800 a month or so in food.

100%

My wife and I are so lucky to live in a low COL area. I mean, it’s Florida so maybe not that lucky. But as far as being able to afford to live beyond sustenance wages, yeah. I have no clue how my son is going to afford a place when he finishes school. I mean, it wasn’t roses when I started out, but it wasn’t *gestures to housing market, prices in general* this bad. Even the modest 3/2 ~1400sqft house I bought in 2010 in the semi-rural outskirts of our area (30-40 mins from city) for $72k (with a $600/mo. mortgage) are over $300k now.

loving why?

A: investors and speculators ruin everything

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

tehinternet posted:

100%

My wife and I are so lucky to live in a low COL area. I mean, it’s Florida so maybe not that lucky. But as far as being able to afford to live beyond sustenance wages, yeah. I have no clue how my son is going to afford a place when he finishes school. I mean, it wasn’t roses when I started out, but it wasn’t *gestures to housing market, prices in general* this bad. Even the modest 3/2 ~1400sqft house I bought in 2010 in the semi-rural outskirts of our area (30-40 mins from city) for $72k (with a $600/mo. mortgage) are over $300k now.

loving why?

AirBnB investors and the adoption of algorithmic property price setting systems hosed everything in the past 15 years.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

If we are going to get into a housing a chat, let me point at housing supply vs. shrewd Airbnb and real estate investors. One is much, much more impactful than the other especially when you have large groups like Blackrock opening voicing on quarterly calls that reason housing is so high is due to restriction on development hence their investments.

Or if we are going to make an IT analogy it's that single family housing doesn't scale.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

tehinternet posted:

100%

loving why?

I like to keep tabs on my childhood home to really drive home how bad it is.

2 br /1bath ~1000sqft home in a lovely part of volusia county. Sold during the housing market crash for 35k.

Sold in 2021 for 180k and Zillow estimated the current price at 247k. There’s no universe where that house is worth six figures, let alone a quarter million.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

I got an email from a trust that apparently some guy with my name owns and he lost money on his rental properties this year so I sent an email back saying good and to gently caress him.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Cyks posted:

I like to keep tabs on my childhood home to really drive home how bad it is.

2 br /1bath ~1000sqft home in a lovely part of volusia county. Sold during the housing market crash for 35k.

Sold in 2021 for 180k and Zillow estimated the current price at 247k. There’s no universe where that house is worth six figures, let alone a quarter million.

Unfortunately, that universe is the one we exist in, largely because we don’t build housing! Institutional investors certainly don’t help, but we also are faced with constant reminders that we make it far too expensive to build projects from solar to housing to infrastructure of all kinds.

What I’m saying is death to the environment protection agency :v:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I find it hard to believe that the reason why housing is so expensive is because the real estate and developer industries simply don't have enough power.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The Iron Rose posted:

Unfortunately, that universe is the one we exist in, largely because we don’t build housing! Institutional investors certainly don’t help, but we also are faced with constant reminders that we make it far too expensive to build projects from solar to housing to infrastructure of all kinds.

What I’m saying is death to the environment protection agency :v:

Which GOP super PAC are you funded by??? lmao

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

I find it hard to believe that the reason why housing is so expensive is because the real estate and developer industries simply don't have enough power.

Real estate =! developers.

Real estate agents are focused on flipping homes because they get a cut every time you move to another place. Developers are focused on building buildings and then building the next one. That's it.

I don't know where anyone lives but as someone from Southern California who's literally in Bangkok right now I want to scream at the top of my lungs so bad.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Internet Explorer posted:

Remember that the industries aren't monoliths, and they involve individual homebuilders, contractors, and other local workers as much as they involve big corporate entities. Seeing what's been happening in my own area over the past two decades or so, I absolutely believe that the big corporate powers-that-be are working to stack the regulatory environments to make it impossible for independent builders or homeowners to actually comply with those regulations in any reasonable or affordable way. This ends up pushing small operations in those areas into house-flipping even more, because there's too much risk in making too substantial a change to a house, and pushing it out of legacy compliance into a more restrictive regulatory regime.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Housing costs being what they are is due to a confluence of events that I doubt anyone in this thread fully has a handle on (myself included). I’ve given up on moving into something bigger for now despite our family outgrowing our house. Bought it in 2016 for $270k and today I’d put it on the market for $650k (we have been consistently renovating it, without it the house would be $500k-ish which is still nuts). The equity does 0 good when our target homes are now bumping up to or over a million dollars.

My only question is who is showing up with cash offers for $800k properties over and over again and how. The houses in my area aren’t being sold to investors or anything, I’ve heard people say COVID accelerated the timeline on people receiving inheritance’s. My buddy is an actuary and says the life insurance industry is totally hosed at this point. Not sure how :tinfoil: that is though

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Vargatron posted:

Which GOP super PAC are you funded by??? lmao

I’m being facetiously extreme (re: the epa, we genuinely don’t build enough and houses genuinely cost stupid money because we have precious little housing and far too much red tape), which clearly the :v: failed to sufficiently communicate!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I also hosed up by posting before being properly awake. My bad.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

i am a moron posted:

My only question is who is showing up with cash offers for $800k properties over and over again and how. The houses in my area aren’t being sold to investors or anything, I’ve heard people say COVID accelerated the timeline on people receiving inheritance’s. My buddy is an actuary and says the life insurance industry is totally hosed at this point. Not sure how :tinfoil: that is though

Post-COVID a lot of people who have had stock in tech companies or large companies for that matter have done very, very well. It's funny how there is this narrative that Americans aren't doing well financially, worst income disparity since the gilded age, etc. and while all of that is true there are still a lot of Americans that have done quite well even if they aren't millionaires.

And if you are just dropping $350k on a house you skip interest payments.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Vulture Culture posted:

Remember that the industries aren't monoliths, and they involve individual homebuilders, contractors, and other local workers as much as they involve big corporate entities. Seeing what's been happening in my own area over the past two decades or so, I absolutely believe that the big corporate powers-that-be are working to stack the regulatory environments to make it impossible for independent builders or homeowners to actually comply with those regulations in any reasonable or affordable way. This ends up pushing small operations in those areas into house-flipping even more, because there's too much risk in making too substantial a change to a house, and pushing it out of legacy compliance into a more restrictive regulatory regime.

This is really the correct take. Big developers will fight changes in regulation that make it easier to build housing, because they've mastered the complexity, and the complexity limits competition.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
:lol::lmao: at owning property in my hometown in the Bay Area - I've been hit by the dot-com crash, the 08 crash, and have been averaging 50% unemployed for the last four years.

Otoh, Starlink is loving banging, virtual backgrounds for video calls are both good & ubiquitous, and there are still 100% remote jobs out there. It may be homestead/#vanlife/liveaboard time

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The Iron Rose posted:

I’m being facetiously extreme (re: the epa, we genuinely don’t build enough and houses genuinely cost stupid money because we have precious little housing and far too much red tape), which clearly the :v: failed to sufficiently communicate!

That's not at all why houses cost too much money, although it's true we should build more affordable housing. It's like saying Tesla stock is too expensive because they produce too few cars. It has literally nothing to do with that.

I mean, do you think we experienced a 2x boom in population between 2018 and 2023 to explain the 2x price difference?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Not to mention that there is enough vacant housing in the US to home every homeless person there.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Is that even counting housing that's been purchased as an "investment" and left empty, or just empty homes for sale?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Cup Runneth Over posted:

That's not at all why houses cost too much money, although it's true we should build more affordable housing. It's like saying Tesla stock is too expensive because they produce too few cars. It has literally nothing to do with that.

I mean, do you think we experienced a 2x boom in population between 2018 and 2023 to explain the 2x price difference?

If Tesla produced ten times the number of cars, it would certainly reduce prices! To continue the Tesla analogy, look at the price war in the Chinese EV market for the first half of this year, which is a direct result of the glut of EV production for China’s internal market. You don’t see that sort of sustained reduction in prices unless you have manufacturers competing with one another aggressively for market share, which has the end result of producing market efficiencies and better value for the consumer. While some of it was certainly monopolistic - which is why Chinese regulators intervened at a certain point - you still have huge benefits for the consumer at a paltry cost to the taxpayer

This isn’t really the thread for it, so I’ll drop it after this (feel free to reply tho unless IE steps in). But you’re going to have a hard time convincing me that part of the solution to extreme demand for housing is not via radically increasing local supply.

Kibner posted:

Not to mention that there is enough vacant housing in the US to home every homeless person there.

Not homes where people want to live and not homes that are liquid in local markets at affordable prices!

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Aug 28, 2023

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I don't have a lot to add to housing chat except this anecdote:

On the street where I now live there are about 20 structures, every one of them is a duplex/townhouse for ~40 residences.

Of those 40 residences, not a single one of them is owner occupied.

I am told that until recently, at least 60% of them were "professional" airbnb properties.

My unit specifically was an airbnb property until I moved in.

My landlord owns 4 of these properties and has been in the process converting all of them into long term rentals since last year.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

In conclusion, airbnb is poison.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

thread inspire me to move my most popular tweet to bsky:

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Post-COVID a lot of people who have had stock in tech companies or large companies for that matter have done very, very well. It's funny how there is this narrative that Americans aren't doing well financially, worst income disparity since the gilded age, etc. and while all of that is true there are still a lot of Americans that have done quite well even if they aren't millionaires.

And if you are just dropping $350k on a house you skip interest payments.

I live in one of the hottest counties in the US, but it’s in Ohio and I know enough people are where I live that I would be shocked if this was the case. This isn’t a big tech hub where people are getting RSUs rained down on them, and I doubt many of them are sitting on enough of anything to cash out and buy a million dollar property in cash.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The Fool posted:

thread inspire me to move my most popular tweet to bsky:

ah but if we simply produced ten times the number of houses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I lucked out, and closed on my house in Feb 2020. Hell, the house I'm in now was just a "Interesting, the house down the street has been up for sale for 4 months and the price keeps getting lowered. Lets throw an offer in and see what happens."

I feel very bad for some of my friends, who realistically have no shot at home ownership if they want to continue to live in the area they grew up in with their current jobs/salaries. Feels bad man.