Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

LiefKatano posted:

Also, as a note: Alephan's Wisdom doesn't last for three turns. It affects the next 3-4 spells you cast (that are boosted by it, natch), even if you cast them four turns later, so you'll always get the full bang for your buck whenever you cast it (unless the battle ends before you can, of course :v:).

Thanks for the correction! I'll fix it in the update in a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Video: No Answers Today

Heart's Lament

And the sun hangs low.

I should be getting back.

Rita! Elena!

Long have I toiled in your shadow. But now I've taken all that once was yours.

This, Osvald, is my answer.

You've gotta stay alert... I'm counting on you.

The Winterlands (Night)

We're not home free yet. We escaped the prison, but we still have to escape this island. And that's gonna be the hard part...

Completely surrounded by ocean, days away from the nearest continent...

But, one step at a time.

Don't celebrate yet. They know we've escaped.
Then what do you propose we do next, Professor? And I'd like an answer before we f-freeze to death...

(The inspectors' vessel should be docked at the pier, and yet... The warden likely told them about our escape.)

We don't have many options, so all we can do is push forward and hope an answer presents itself.

After a bit more of a trek...

drat, you were right... Even the inspectors have heard about us. What do we do now?

We can't stow away on their ship now. We'll make other arrangements.

That was inevitable. We have to prevent this from causing further commotion.

Easier done than said.

At least this should buy some time. But we're still kinda stuck right now.

SILENCE

(We can't use the inspectors' ship as we planned. We'll need something else...)

If you have any bright ideas, do share them quickly!

You're a fantastic assistant, Emerald.

-----

If we have no ship, then we will make our own.
Surely you're joking...

Nay. We are human, and have the intellect to prove it.

I give you our ice boat.

The Winterlands (Night)

You made a boat... I can hardly believe my eyes...

I once heard of a town blanketed in snow and divided by a river.

Entire horse-drawn carriages crossed over the ice bridges without incident. And I wouldn't have recalled it if not for you.

And there's no chance of the boat melting in this cold.

Well, that's one way to escape. Probably not the most luxurious of methods to sail the seas, but it's functional enough.

Just gonna have to maybe lay off the Fireballs for a bit.

I have to say, the boat's surprisingly sturdy.
Of course it is. Do not doubt my ice magic.

(They'll continue their pursuit, even if we manage to reach the mainland.)

(I hoped to sink the inspectors' vessel before we reached shore. It was to look like an accident...and ensure we were presumed dead.)

I've been meaning to ask you something, Professor.
Go on.

...Did you do it?

I've been on Frigit Isle a long time. I've met more prisoners than I care to remember.

No...there's something different about you.

Huh?

Scheming

It's four days' journey to the mainland if we're lucky! We'll likely freeze to death by then!

That won't be easy, with everyone out there looking for you. They'll deploy fleets from Frigit and the mainland, trapping you at sea.

Heh. Well I won't know that until I try, will I?

SILENCE

It's look like it's just Osvald now. But there's something odd about Emerald deciding to ditch us at the last minute...

Who is Emerald?

Nothing left to do but finally leave this island.

Video: An Unsolved Mystery

drat.

I... Agh...!

-----

I'll never make it out on this ship. They'll just arrest me again. Only one thing left to do...

Heart's Lament

So I might as well put it to good use!

His actions drew the attention of the guards.

Allowing my small boat to escape unnoticed.

And not only that...

I doubt anyone is chasing me now.

They have no way of knowing

that Emerald and I split up.

They're likely to assume that I was also

aboard the inspectors' sinking ship.

Emerald seemingly sacrificed himself solely so Osvald could do what he set out to do. A true and loyal confidant to the end...

-----

Video: The Vengeful Scholar Osvald

SILENCE

Rita...
You must be exhausted.

Oh, Osvald...

To get you looking presentable again. To make you some goulash, with Elena.
Rita, I...
Alas, my dear, I cannot.

So you cannot stay here. For it is not yet time.

-----

Welcome to the small fishing village of Cape Cold.

Found you collapsed on the beach, nearly frozen to death. Only the faintest hint of breath in you.

But you're the first to do so alive.

Forgive me, but I could not resist a look through your personal effects. I, too, am a scholar! Though not one of any renown, mind.

-----

Come now, this is the least I could do.

Osvald, the Scholar

(Harvey... You took everything from me...)

And so ends Osvald's tale for today.

We've recruited half our allies now. We still have four more allies to recruit, so vote for them here.

Next time, we'll take a break from all these dour stories and do some lighthearted side stories and urban exploration. Fortunately the rest of the stories won't be quite as dour!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Wow, after that unexpected split up, I was sure Emerald would turn up at a future point in the game, but just a few sentences down, I was disabused of that notion!

I think this was a good chapter, quite heavy but very engaging.

GrimSqueaker
Sep 26, 2011
I like the implication that Osvald walked a few steps outside the village and immediately face planted in the snow again.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

GrimSqueaker posted:

I like the implication that Osvald walked a few steps outside the village and immediately face planted in the snow again.

swearing terrible vengeance, stubbing his toe on a rock, collapsing into the snow, would have frozen to death inside of a few minutes were it not for Our Heroes coming by

Oswald's story is about as serious as a heart attack, but they do sneak in a few bits of situational humor that way.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Kinda think the police would want to look into the guy cackling and gloating outside a burning building tbh

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
We saw the trial where Osvald was found guilty on the rock solid evidence of "being the only wizard in the vicinity;" I think we can infer what kind of cops discovered the scene.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

We saw the trial where Osvald was found guilty on the rock solid evidence of "being the only wizard in the vicinity;" I think we can infer what kind of cops discovered the scene.

All cops are bastards, but some cops are worse than others.

Torrannor posted:

Wow, after that unexpected split up, I was sure Emerald would turn up at a future point in the game, but just a few sentences down, I was disabused of that notion!

I think this was a good chapter, quite heavy but very engaging.

Didn't see a corpse, so as far as I'm concerned there's a nonzero chance he suddenly shows up again when we least expect it.

WizardOfWhispers
Jul 21, 2022
Osvald has a remarkable track record of convincing people that he's trustworthy. Especially given his most common sentence is still "..."

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Never underestimate the power of knowing when to shut up.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

WizardOfWhispers posted:

Osvald has a remarkable track record of convincing people that he's trustworthy. Especially given his most common sentence is still "..."

This cleverly makes him a blank slate that others can read what they want into.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

WizardOfWhispers posted:

The man is jacked, can set you on fire with a few words, and has literally nothing to lose. Are YOU gonna call him a liar?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

The man is jacked, can set you on fire with a few words, and has literally nothing to lose. Are YOU gonna call him a liar?

Liar? No. Moron? Yes.

Osvald, you LITERALLY PROCURED COLD WEATHER CLOTHING? WHY DIDN'T YOU WEAR IT?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I assume it wasn't waterproof. Ice boats are all well and good but they don't protect you from condensation or sea-spray. Or rain/snow.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Black Robe posted:

I assume it wasn't waterproof. Ice boats are all well and good but they don't protect you from condensation or sea-spray. Or rain/snow.

Sure. Except he never puts it on. He's shown in his prisoner rags the entire time. He's a dingus. Just like Cyrus. It seems Scholars have to have some kind of flaw like that.

(I'm guessing the real answer is because they didn't want/couldn't afford to make a special sprite with the clothing, so they had to just let it ride as shown..)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I think there's something that says the "clothing" is just more prisoner rags, so it's basically more layers of what Osvald's already wearing.

Kheldarn posted:

(I'm guessing the real answer is because they didn't want/couldn't afford to make a special sprite with the clothing, so they had to just let it ride as shown..)

Sometimes the game will have one-off sprites, like Throné's disguise to enter that mansion that lasted one whole cutscene. It is a bit weird they made a big deal about the clothes and then they just never come up. I don't think he even got extras for whatever companion he'd have. It all worked out in the end, though.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Time to get a new side story done, but since it's a short and easy one, let's check out Cape Cold first.

Snowswept Town

Cape Cold is a small fishing village on the northern end of the eastern continent. There's not much to do here, but we can still check things out and maybe find some neat stuff along the way.

Also, I have to say I love having Scrutinize now.

The item itself is nothing special, just a concoction ingredient, but he's part of a neat family dynamic.

Same deal with this girl, as we'll find out when we meet her "grandparents".

Sometimes people are just nice. This isn't much of a dark past, but at least this fellow has a place where he feels he belongs.

This is the mother of that boy outside, and there's an interesting dynamic between the father's simple life and the mother wishing to return to the city, but the age aspect is distracting me a bit.

A decent helm upgrade, but we can't buy it and the steal chance is low.

Oh dear, so sorry. I was lost in thought.

The grandmother of the adopted girl.

I buy a cheap grape mainly for the dialogue.

And the husband of the city woman. Overall an interesting family dynamic with no easy answers which we'll never see the resolution of.

And this guy's deal is--

Oh yeah, certain path actions will anger citizens if they fail. This applies to Throné's Steal, Osvald's Scrutinize, Ochette's Provoke, and Agnea's Allure, all day actions carried over from OT1. Weirdly, none of the night path actions have such a penalty, so we can and will Coerce and Mug people with no consequence.

We've seen both local families now, and in fact are almost done with our daytime excursions.

All we have to do is Scrutinize the man who saved Osvald and we'll be done with day actions.

Turns out I missed four 50% coin flips in a row and now I'm locked from path actions. This happens when you fail five path actions in a city. Luckily, there's a fix.

The price depends on the town. 1500 is cheap, but not insignificant money for this stage of the game.

Of course, you can just save scum to avoid all this, and I'll just be doing that in the future.

We heard Roque mention steam engines before, so we may have run-ins with some in the future.

Snowswept Town (Night)

Now the fun can truly begin.

I mean, if you have nothing better to do, it can't hurt I guess.

I've never missed having a mama or papa once!

A nice family evening. They may not be blood-related, but they still love each other as deeply as any family could, and they're all happy together in this small village.

So naturally I beat them up and take their meager possessions.

This guy has a Buckler, which is a step up from the starting shields. Hell, turns out Osvald doesn't even have a shield equipped, so this suits him great.

This guy only shows up at night, so Temenos can't take it easy just because Osvald can do most of the info-gathering now.

This is probably the father of the dancer, since he too hates the cold. But that family seems to live at the inn, so who knows. He could just as easily be the father of the girl. Or maybe he just really admires the retired scholar.

Regardless, I'm not going to argue, as he leads to a really nice polearm upgrade. This is overkill for this stage of the game.

That's not all, as he's easy to mug and thus we can get over 10k worth of leaves just from this one guy. You do not want to neglect night path actions in this game!

This soldier is tier-4 strength, so it takes a couple of tries to even Coerce him. Luckily he's vulnerable to light magic.

I'm guessing he's the attendant of that other rich guy, since he's right in front of the inn where the city woman is at.

On the bright side, Osvald now gets a free turn at the start of battle when using Mug. Of course, I've nearly looted everything of value here already, but still.

The family struggles with their own issues, but they're still a loyal and loving family, willing to stick together through the good and the bad.

And trust me, right now they're dealing with the bad.

Also, major missed opportunity here for the city woman to be weak to fire instead of ice. Her biggest thing is she hates the cold, so she should be weak to ice magic!

It doesn't matter though, we've got her prized heirloom and Temenos looks rather fetching with it. This will be nice until we get an upgrade in a few hours and then leave it in the gear bag to gather dust for the rest of the game.

Also, all that terrorizing the locals has helped Osvald gain his second skill. I'm probably not going to use Elemental Barrage in battles for awhile because I'm worried it'd break things too easily, but I'm definitely going to abuse it with Mug to make breaking foes and uncovering weaknesses much easier.

More importantly, this unlocks Evasive Maneuvers, so less encounters to deal with!

Oh, right, this is a Side Story update. Let's do that before the village decides to throw us out.

Snowswept Town

We were told it wasn't due yet! We let our guard down! We need our midwife!

I have to go find her! No, no... I can't leave my wife's side! Ahhh! Somebody help!

This is as simple as it sounds. We simply need to bring this guy a midwife. He says she's at Flamechurch, and indeed we have met a midwife there.

I don't know how long in-game a trek from Cape Cold to Flamechurch and back would take, probably several days, so I hope the wife doesn't mind waiting that long! I'm sure she'll be fine.

Fortunately fast travel exists.

You are responsible for the lives of both mother and child.

Nothing new here, but here she is as a refresher.

Though we can rob her blind now.

I generally forget to use these companions anyway, so I'm fine ditching the historian for the midwife.

Right, let's finish this up.

Well, it looks like I'm just in time. How fares your wife?
I-it's you! Please, you have to help my wife and child!

-----

She's the sweetest little girl you'll ever lay eyes on, and she's resting comfortably with my wife. All thanks to the midwife, of course.

She's the one upon whom you should be heaping your praise.

Of course, we never see this wife and child, and the new father seems content to prefer standing at the front of the town to spending time with them. But hey, we got paid, so a job well done.

Well, the least we could do is help this man relax.

We did good today!

Next time, we'll head to New Delsta and do "good" things there too!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Something I really appreciated was that the amount of money to restore your reputation is much more manageable this time around. I think in the original it capped at 100,000 leaves. Money is also a lot easier to come by here

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Osvald’s story is my favorite so far. Emerald’s suicide/sacrifice was a really cool bit of characterization for someone who first looks to just be a background NPC, and Osvald’s personality and drive is compelling to watch. It also seems good to have recruited a party member whose role appears to be just inflicting catastrophic damage, no notes.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Well, at least we didn't challenge this pregnant woman to a duel like last game...

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Are we the baddies?

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

Slaan posted:

Are we the baddies?

Well, let's see, we have a thief whose job involves stealing (naturally) and assassination (albeit reluctantly on that last bit), an escaped convict who mugs people for their belongings at night, and a priest who beats people up at night for their secrets, and may or may not be enabling the last two's habits.

Meanwhile, the poor merchant who joined to spread the wealth has to watch aghast as he witnesses these crimes.

...Naaaah.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Ochette - True Good
Castti - Lawful Good
Tenemos - Chaotic Good
Osvald - Chaotic Neutral
Partitio - True Good
Agnea - True Good
Throné - Chaotic Good
Hikari - Complicated

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 30, 2023

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

Each character will have a thought if they attempt to use a path action when their reputation has suffered greatly from failing too many path actions. If anyone is curious, here's the list. I have spoiled it just in case if anyone wanted to see for themselves in the game.

Ochette: My reputation stinks worse than rotten meat...
Partitio: Hoo-ey. I won't be doin' any business with this repute...
Throne: Hmph. My notorious reputation precedes me...
Agnea: I won't be a shining star with this repute...
Temenos: Goodness, my repute has seen better days...
Castti: My reputation could use a helping hand...
Hikari: My repute has suffered greatly...
Osvald: It wouldn't be the first time my repute has been sullied...

They say the same thing regardless if you try using their path action during the day or night.

Sketchie fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Aug 30, 2023

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Ochette - True Good
Castti - Lawful Good
Tenemos - Chaotic Good
Osvald - Chaotic Neutral
Partitio - True Good
Agnea - True Good
Throné - Chaotic Good
Hikari - Complicated

Temenos is true neutral. 'Good' is something you need to have faith in. And, well. You know the rest.

Also, Throne joins Osvald in Chaotic Neutral club. When all you have is a set of knives, the problems of the world are clearly to be solved with a judicious round of shankings.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Aug 30, 2023

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
I dunno, I know doubt is what he does, but when he says "Aelfric, I need you!" and a literal miracle happens, it's really hard to doubt the faith that at least *a* god exists. It's fine for him to have a little faith in the goodness of those truly close to him, like the dead Archbishop, I think.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Is he actually requesting a miracle or is he just casting a spell and then giving credit to a god? Like when people thank god that the medicine worked. The damage is based on Temenos’s stats after all.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Temenos believes in the gods, but he doubts they are as great and all powerful as they tend to be claimed.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Put a god in front of Temenos and he'll beat information out of it, just like he does everyone else

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 30, 2023

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
Temenos is the best sort of clergyman, the sort who actually expects his deities to uphold their own morals and uses the gifts they gave him - most importantly, reason - rather than relying on blind faith.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Jetrauben posted:

Temenos is the best sort of clergyman, the sort who actually expects his deities to uphold their own morals and uses the gifts they gave him - most importantly, reason - rather than relying on blind faith.

admittedly the part where he has no idea what his own religious doctrine says is probably an issue long term, but hey, man has a job

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

admittedly the part where he has no idea what his own religious doctrine says is probably an issue long term, but hey, man has a job

Ehh, what’s the worst that could happen?

…Temenoseph Smith.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

I get the impression that, while religion definitely exists and the 8 gods are (or were) definitely real in the worlds of both games, most people just don't really care and the religious leaders are kinda flying blind

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Aug 31, 2023

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Yeah it's kind of goofy how little any sort of formal knowledge of the theology or philosophy actually plays a role in his religion given he's a vaguely Abrahamic-coded cleric, but I suppose orthopraxy gets more pervasive when the right rituals let you summon holy lasers.

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Aug 31, 2023

Mega64
May 23, 2008

A bit surprising, but I like Castti and her story so I'm certainly not complaining!

Next update should be up sometime this weekend.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

A Sensational City

It's finally time we explore New Delsta. It's a pretty large city with quite a lot of NPCs, so might as well give it its own update as we learn more about its citizens, and more importantly, their belongings.

The pains of accurate time-keeping.

The hidden item is just "Spear", which is a small upgrade over the starting stuff but no match for the War Glaive we picked up earlier. Good secondary spear I guess.

There's a trio of aspiring theater youths that have a different passion each.

...as well as a different person they're passionate about.

And of course, they all want to work with the person who wants nothing to do with them, ignoring the person who does want to work with them.

My grandfather caught one and let me have a bite. I'll never forget the taste. It took me to heaven and back!

Sometimes it's the simplest of things we most cherish.

There's a lot of cheap stuff around, but nothing really of note.

She's going to be a joy when she's older...

Meanwhile, I get the feeling we won't want to tussle with this tutor, though I have no one that can fight her during the day so it's kinda irrelevant for now.

Alas, sometimes your true passion doesn't pay the bills.

There's always that one extra detail that makes an NPC stand out. She's a passionate book reader, but she's also stuck in an arranged marriage that may disrupt her desires. Who knows how this one will turn out.

Uh

Uhhhhhhh

It's always good to be passionate about eggs.

Sometimes the people who open doors are the most closed of all.

What a wonderful person.

Remind me to stab him later.

I can't believe I passed up the chance to get my hands on something so rare... There's a special stone you can buy in the Wildlands, you see. Just holding it is supposedly enough to fill you with energy!

That's certainly a unique collection...

Of course, his only possession is an Olive of Life.

CAT

Imagine being a merchant with that little self-confidence. That can't be good for business!

This is a nice clothing upgrade though!

We'll have to get by him later, I guess.

That's the main part of the city, now let's explore the backstreets, which are significantly less glamorous.

Like this guy, who you can pay to beat up. No thanks, we prefer to beat up people for free.

I will buy a sympathy rock from him though.

And some of these situations are just dire.

You can never have too many revenge stories in this game.

He has a Soulstone and could use some food money, so I figured I'd throw some money his way.

Also he probably shouldn't be hiding this in a graveyard.

Someone has to remember the forgotten.

It can be difficult to find any sort of peace in the world, so when do you find it, you'll want to hold on to it as long as you can.

We've got a run-down bar over here, though it's not as active during the day.

It's probably not very profitable to get paid in beer for your labor, but it must feel nice.

In such a seedy element, being a guard that can keep their mouth shut must be a great asset. Plus, you know, it means not being killed for sharing things that aren't supposed to be shared.

It's a nice gesture for sure, but feels rather shortsighted a solution.

Yeah, I'm not touching that one.

A Sensational City (Night)

There's more to explore, like the Blacksnakes Game Corner, but we can visit that another time. For now, let's enjoy the New Delsta night life.

Seems as apt a way as any to investigate odd going-ons.

That Charm Rod is weak, but that Antique Coin is probably worth a few leaves.

Naturally, I once again do a lot of Mugging and Coercing. Elemental Barrage is great since it does a lot of damage and can shred shields with some luck.

...What am I doing? Vocal training, of course. Dolcinaea isn't here yet.

Dolcinaea is one of the most famous stars of New Delsta, and we'll learn more about her a good bit later.

Also why did learning about this woman being obnoxious lead us to this bottle of poison?

And what's with all the cakes?

Some people aren't made out for the mercantile life.

Just like this fellow wasn't meant for the combat life.

I could not crack this woman due to her obscene number of shields and lack of weaknesses. Nothing worth mugging either.

I do collect some curios of my own, courtesy of a rather generous donation by another esteemed collector.

It must feel awkward to save someone's life because you were scoping out their place for valuables to steal. But at least he did save her life, so that's something.

Lots of vendor fodder around here. If leaves were an issue before, they certainly aren't now!

There's a lot of brothel workers around the area, and they're all rather good at their jobs in one way or another.

Can't do any path actions with her for whatever reason.

Meanwhile, these two are too tough for me to coerce and mug. And the guy guarding the stairs is too high-level to Ambush.

...I can see why.

Nothing like a restaurant built with blood. Possibly literally if he's that bad a cook.

Somebody has to create scents. It's a shame there's no Scentmaker job, or Lamp Inspector, or whatever other job we can change to.

We have another trio trying to change the world, though they're pretty tough and difficult to coerce.

This fellow can be beat up easily and has a rare Jam we can get. It may come in handy later!

Otherwise, nothing else we can do here.

Again, very strong and outclasses us.

You want to experience true tragedy?

Much better.

Back to the back streets.

In case you want to understand what fighting a seven-star character is like, well, there you go. Even if we somehow get lucky on a turn, large level differences affect accuracy so much that we won't land enough hits until we die. So basically, a lot of this background info will have to wait until later.

The bar isn't too bad at night.

Yeah, I certainly wonder what this is about.

We knocked this guy out before, but now we can get dirt on the people inside.

There are things leaves can't buy. For example, there's not enough leaves in the world you could pay me to not punch this guy in the face and take his valuables.

Uh, well, good luck with that.

She does have a really nice knife upgrade, if nothing else.

Of course, a lot of these brothel workers have much loftier ambitions, and are using their positions to achieve them.

And with that, I think we've gotten a good idea of the people of this city. A lot of glitz and glamour that mask a lot of terrible problems. So you know, like any other city.

Next time, we take a look into the wonderful world of gambling.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I've never been able to put my finger on why but New Delsta just feels unfinished to me. Like they had more plans for it than they ended up with

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I've never been able to put my finger on why but New Delsta just feels unfinished to me. Like they had more plans for it than they ended up with

it feels like an actual city in a way very few video game cities do: there is a bunch of poo poo going on and surprisingly little of it involves you

Mega64
May 23, 2008

A Sensational City

While we're here in New Delsta, let's help out some of the citizens, because some of them need all the help they can get.

I'm going to win for sure this time, so don't ruin this for me!
Why won't you listen to me!? Someone, please stop him...

So we need to help this man with his gambling problem. Simple enough.

I wonder why.

If we change to night, we can get some advice from the wife.

There's nothing I can do to stop him... I just wish there were some way to bring him back to his senses. I'm sure the people at that parlor are nothing more than swindlers.

So we just need proof that they're cheating. Yeah, I'm sure a gambling addict will believe that.

Miscreant's Melody

Let's scope out the Game Parlor and see what we can learn.

Doesn't look like this guy's of any help.

Naturally, this poor guy had a bunch of herbs to help with his predicament. Herbs of Valor heal terror, you see.

Yeah, getting by this guy won't be easy. Gonna have to hold off for now.

Well, that was easy.

That said, we might as well enjoy the game parlor at night, when people really start showing up.

The usuals have some different lines, of course.

A lot of these gamblers are pretty tough, so I wasn't able to extract info from some of them.

That battle hatchet has a large amount of attack, but we don't have anyone that can actually use it yet.

Ex-spouses and rival brothel owners who despise each other, and yet seem on good terms here? Now that's an entire story I wouldn't mind seeing, but in this game, just a footnote.

This isn't the same woman as the wife we got our quest from. This is a woman with a gambling problem trying to hide it from her husband, not the husband with a gambling problem continuing despite his wife's pleas. Simple mistake.

Poor sap.

I can see it in your eyes. They don't glitter like the others'.

Coercing this guy was a minor pain. I can use Temenos's latent to break him, but he loves using Evasive Stance to boost his evasion, and if you're unlucky he'll stack a bunch of them up. Since I don't want to risk missing an attack and wasting my latent, I had to try this a couple times until I had both 3BP and he didn't have that buff.

Anyway turns out this guy is as much of a jerk as fighting him was.

For good measure I stole his creepy candy and knocked him unconscious.

Yeah, some of these gamblers can wipe the floor with me.

Yeah, that's enough of this pleasant company. Let's ditch this place and resolve this quest already.

A Sensational City

You heard the truth, didn't you? There's no way to win at the game parlor.
That's a lie! I know it! I've won big there before!

To tell the truth, I already knew that place was just too good to be true. But there was no way I could face you after squandering all our money...

There's still time for you to change your ways. So please, enough gambling. Come home already.

Kinda surprised it was that easy to talk him out of it, but I guess it all worked out.

That Victory Ring is really nice, boosting P.Atk by 20 and also giving a P.Atk buff at the start of battle. I don't have many good physical attackers yet, but when I do this will be great for them.

At least that's two less lives ruined by the criminal underbelly of this city.

Next time, we'll head back to the western continent to recruit our next party member.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
With a few exceptions, I didn't find myself as invested in the side stories this time around. I mean, they're not supposed to be highlights anyways but a lot of them are immediately forgettable