Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The final type of spell in Forspoken is light, which comes in as GREEN LASER BEAMS and it owns. Pew Pew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

love it when games get creative like that

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Riatsala posted:

In AC6 you get full refunds for all parts when you sell them. That was a good choice.

Though it has me wondering what the point of money is in the game. Because I can sell back everything I'm not using, I have never been unable to afford an item in the shop. Finite funds just means I can't have everything bought at once, and instead I have to swap back and forth between the shop and inventory UI lists to compare stuff.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Triarii posted:

Though it has me wondering what the point of money is in the game. Because I can sell back everything I'm not using, I have never been unable to afford an item in the shop. Finite funds just means I can't have everything bought at once, and instead I have to swap back and forth between the shop and inventory UI lists to compare stuff.

You can swap gear mid mission and having more bought gear allows more fkexibility

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Triarii posted:

I haven't played AC6, but typically in games that allow full refunds, money serves as "experience", or equivalently, a "point limit" on how fancy your build can get. Not being able to have everything at once is the point, in other words.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

it looks loving awful (eye searing bloom everywhere), it controls like you’re immersed in mud, the combat is flashy but weightless and there’s nothing to distract from it, the writing and dialogue is auto-complete levels of laziness whenever it’s not going full Whedon

this is not a culture war thing, it comprehensively sucks
Since when has any of that stopped people from praising a game though

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I haven't played AC6, but typically in games that allow full refunds, money serves as "experience", or equivalently, a "point limit" on how fancy your build can get. Not being able to have everything at once is the point, in other words.

It doesn't work like that because I can easily afford to buy the most expensive part for every slot, so I can equip any possible combination of parts I want as long as I have the patience to keep navigating back and forth through the menus and buying/selling things.

ImpAtom posted:

You can swap gear mid mission and having more bought gear allows more fkexibility

Huh, it never even occurred to me to want to swap gear around mid-mission.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Triarii posted:

It doesn't work like that because I can easily afford to buy the most expensive part for every slot, so I can equip any possible combination of parts I want as long as I have the patience to keep navigating back and forth through the menus and buying/selling things.

Huh, it never even occurred to me to want to swap gear around mid-mission.

It's mostly for if a loadout isn't working and you need to try something new

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my pokeymans.

I'm playing Pokemon Scarlet, and it's been a lot of fun. I've been playing Pokemon since the OG Red/Blue days, but this is my first one since the Sun/Moon generation. The QOL improvements are making it super easy to enjoy. I can access my Pokemon storage boxes anywhere and swap my party around whenever I'm not in battle. Experience sharing from battle is automatically unlocked from the start. So is fast travel between towns and rest stops. Grinding isn't required, because my lead 'mon can be turned loose to auto-battle the local wildlife and gain exp for everyone. TMs (single use items used to teach moves) no longer have to be hoarded, because every rest stop has a machine that sells copies of every TM you've received so far, and a bunch of others that get unlocked through quest progression. Egg breeding is available almost right from the start. While exploring, I accidentally slipped while trying to peek over a ledge. Before I even had time to curse my walk back, I got a pop up saying hit Y to go back from where I fell. If I ever get too baked to remember what I'm supposed to be doing, I can ask at any rest stop. The receptionist will open my map and drop a pin on the next gym or quest I should do. I'm sure a lot of this stuff is taken for granted by a lot of players, but I can still feel the sting of not being able to catch a wild 'mon because Bill's goddamn PC box was full.

Something else that I think is neat is the connectivity between the different games. A mon that I caught on a walk playing Pokemon GO is now part of my lineup in Scarlet. I know there are players who have been porting the same mon forward across handheld console generations. Really helps give a personal attachment to them.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
There are some very pretty and interesting optional locations in Forspoken that I'm only just discovering. The world is massive. Some difficult optional fights too.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Many Narrator lines in Baldur's Gate 3 have slighly different reads depending on your origin.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

In Super Mario World, Mario is able to jump far higher than the average Italian. This allows him to successfully complete levels

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

In Super Mario World, Mario is able to jump far higher than the average Italian. This allows him to successfully complete levels

I’ve never seen an Italian jump with a cape, so I thought they all could do that

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Agents are GO! posted:

I just saw ads on Facebook and YouTube for it that looked incredibly unappealing. Square-Enix managed the same thing with Stranger of Paradise, advertising the game in a way that made me completely disregard it, and I ended up loving SoP, so maybe Square-Enix should get a better marketing department? :shrug:

Edit: if it goes free somewhere or gets a deep discount, I'll give it a shot.

For me it was the one-two punch of being one of the very few PC games that released at 80$ and the supposedly pretty bad PC performance. It's been on my wishlist forever but I skipped it at release because of the performance issues, and even though it's supposed to be better now it's a hard purchase to justify because even on sale it comes down to barely below the price of a regular new PC game.

It stays on my wishlist; whenever it reaches 30$ I'll definitely nab it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Agents are GO! posted:

I just saw ads on Facebook and YouTube for it that looked incredibly unappealing. Square-Enix managed the same thing with Stranger of Paradise, advertising the game in a way that made me completely disregard it, and I ended up loving SoP, so maybe Square-Enix should get a better marketing department? :shrug:

Edit: if it goes free somewhere or gets a deep discount, I'll give it a shot.

I don't think SoP was advertised badly so much as deliberately incompletely. They focused hard on what would become the big memes, and reduced the fact it wasn't entirely that.

Given how I only hear about that game in the context of its big memes, even from people who liked it, that might've actually been the best their advertising team ever performed, they knew what they had and they played to it. They correctly diagnosed that they had Final Fantasy's version of Revengeance, and so used the advertising to shortcut straight to the 'Senator Armstrong memes' part of Revengeance's life.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't even have the game but I think this is rad. Baldur's Gate 3 has poutine! (And apparently some other favourite dishes as this commenter says.)

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I don't know about any Stranger of Paradise memes. Actually, I know very little about the game other than its a prequel(?) to FF1 and is a Soulslike(?)

I just share this anecdotally. Not sure what it says about advertising or its reach.

BlockChainNetflix
Sep 2, 2011

Lobok posted:

I don't even have the game but I think this is rad. Baldur's Gate 3 has poutine! (And apparently some other favourite dishes as this commenter says.)

I hope the Dublin dish is coddle.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

I don't think SoP was advertised badly so much as deliberately incompletely. They focused hard on what would become the big memes, and reduced the fact it wasn't entirely that.

Given how I only hear about that game in the context of its big memes, even from people who liked it, that might've actually been the best their advertising team ever performed, they knew what they had and they played to it. They correctly diagnosed that they had Final Fantasy's version of Revengeance, and so used the advertising to shortcut straight to the 'Senator Armstrong memes' part of Revengeance's life.

You do know people from the Final Fantasy thread read this one too Cleritic, you can't pretend like people haven't explained repeatedly why they like the non-meme parts of the game.

credburn posted:

I don't know about any Stranger of Paradise memes. Actually, I know very little about the game other than its a prequel(?) to FF1 and is a Soulslike(?)

I just share this anecdotally. Not sure what it says about advertising or its reach.

They gave a pretty big push towards the protagonist hating Chaos a whole lot.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

ImpAtom posted:

You do know people from the Final Fantasy thread read this one too Cleritic, you can't pretend like people haven't explained repeatedly why they like the non-meme parts of the game.

Yeah, they get to that point after they've expended the chaos-killing and Limp Bizkit-ing memes. ...and then sometimes loop back into them. Let's not pretend that Jack 'Bullshit' Garland wasn't an effective, defining marketing pitch for the people that're into that sort of thing.

Under all those it's just a Nioh game with less samurai and more angry white men the same amount of angry white man as the first Nioh but with more swearing, which I can certainly recognize the appeal of, there's just nothing for me in it and I wish it was instead what the initial leaks painted it as, which was basically 'Soulsborne in FF1's world' without the extra silliness.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 18:02 on Aug 28, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

BioEnchanted posted:

There are some very pretty and interesting optional locations in Forspoken that I'm only just discovering. The world is massive. Some difficult optional fights too.

Forspoken is loving colossal, if you only beeline the main quest nav points you’ll see maybe 40% of the world

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Lobok posted:

i am baffled that the quebec studio ok'd the description just saying "cheese" instead of "cheese curds"

if it doesn't use cheese curds it's not poutine, it's just delicious cheesy gravy fries, and i would to have some thanks

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Forspoken was fun you could do a flip and shoot a dog with a rock.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Lobok posted:

I found a pizza, just a regular rear end cheese pizza, in this medieval high fantasy game. Gave me a decent chuckle

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Push El Burrito posted:

Also my house is full of magic cats and I've only found a third of them.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

BioEnchanted posted:

Also my house is full of magic cats and I've only found a third of them.

Gotta sneak up on the magical floating cats and keep em in your huts.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

TontoCorazon posted:

I found a pizza, just a regular rear end cheese pizza, in this medieval high fantasy game. Gave me a decent chuckle

Elminster probably brought it back from Ed Greenwood's house.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

More of a Favourite little thing in consoles, but I appreciate that on the ps5 Home Screen, when you select a game it shows you any in-game challenges that you haven't completed yet, or that you can still do better in, like the first of the FLASHBACKS that I did in Forspoken I only got 3/5 mana points due to only getting 3 prizes, so since there are two more prizes and then there are a few I haven't even tried it shows me those options, and then after those it starts showing metachallenges like trophies.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Push El Burrito posted:

Also you can kick a deer in the rear end so hard it explodes

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

haveblue posted:

Move over, @canyoupetthedog, there's a new game in town

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-
PYF Little Things In Games: you can kick a deer in the rear end so hard it explodes

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

The HD remaster of the original Katamari Damacy (titled KD Reroll) is a delightful update. It preserves all of the goofy, nonsensical charm of the original and the simple graphics actually look great when upscaled. Turns out rolling mundane objects up into stars is just as fun as when it was released. Bonus: a friend of mine says his kiddo finds it positively entrancing.

It also helps that it's $7 for the next week or so on the Nintendo store.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Zero_Grade posted:

The HD remaster of the original Katamari Damacy (titled KD Reroll) is a delightful update. It preserves all of the goofy, nonsensical charm of the original and the simple graphics actually look great when upscaled. Turns out rolling mundane objects up into stars is just as fun as when it was released. Bonus: a friend of mine says his kiddo finds it positively entrancing.

A must buy for a Switch owner.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

haveblue posted:

Ah, the ol' Saboteur method of punching a cow until it falls to pieces, I take it?

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

It's a low stakes gambit

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Zero_Grade posted:

And they just recently released the sequel in HD too if you haven't seen.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Bogmonster posted:

It's a low stakes gambit

Whereas using TNT results in high steaks.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Bogmonster posted:

It's a low stakes gambit

Really don't mince your words, do you?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
I hope y’all are able to squash this beef

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Some neat little unstated things from Xenoblade Chronicles 2 that just hit me despite being right there the whole time:

Despite Keves' aesthetics being based on XC1 and Agnus' on XC2, the sides somehow traded home bases; Keves Castle is based on the capital city of Mor Ardain in XC2, while Agnus Castle is based on Alcamoth, the High Entia's capital from XC1. A fun little sign that while they're clearly at war now, they were comparing notes at some point.

And on a completely different tack: Lanz's Chain Art is a barely-veiled Guilty Gear reference. He poses like Sol Badguy for it, and it's called Tyrant Wave, just one letter off from Sol's Tyrant Rave. It's really obvious when you see it, but you don't see it because why would Xenoblade be referencing Guilty Gear?