Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
I think that tomb where you get Brothers is where I originally caved and checked a guide. On the other hand, I was also like, 12, and still too stupid to solve a maze without a map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

My first playthrough of FF8 was recent and I played the Steam version, did fine til I got to the Propagators which were suddenly almost impossible to kill and would like two-shot me, and then just said "gently caress it" and used the built in cheats lmao

I still think the MMORPG genre is pretty dead, nothing good will come out in the near or distant future

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

massively multiplayer online final fantasy 8

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

we all grew up in the same mmo

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
apropos of nothing, people have been trying to make WoW killers for nearly 20 years now.

life is wild.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Hello MMO Chat!
Now that the queues have settled, Wayfinder is pretty good. Its unique and the combat is really good. The kind of a game I didn't know I wanted. Its need polishing but will be worth a play when it releases.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

temple posted:

Hello MMO Chat!
Now that the queues have settled, Wayfinder is pretty good. Its unique and the combat is really good. The kind of a game I didn't know I wanted. Its need polishing but will be worth a play when it releases.

how is the lack of lock on? i feel like with a melee game like that, you'd really want to be able to lock on to something botw / dark souls style...

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Last King posted:

how is the lack of lock on? i feel like with a melee game like that, you'd really want to be able to lock on to something botw / dark souls style...

you can lock on but you don't have to. I wouldn't recommend it because the camera is weird

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Gymp posted:

I rawdogged ff8 as a kid, good times.

FF8 aint exactly a game you rawdog without a guide and finish. You can do it but you will not complete all 6 CDs

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Knowing how to abuse the junction system makes FF8 probably the easiest mainline FF game.

Not knowing how to even use the junction system instead makes FF8 almost definitely the hardest mainline FF game.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I’ve put almost 20 hours into Wayfinder so far, but yeah they have some work ahead of them. The biggest issue I see is just the repetitiveness of the content. Reused dungeons that you repeat on multiple difficulties and use mutators to add flavor. I’m also not a huge fan of the gearing system which just amounts to a weapon you level and add perks to, and 3 trinkets with gem slots basically.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

LuckyCat posted:

I’ve put almost 20 hours into Wayfinder so far, but yeah they have some work ahead of them. The biggest issue I see is just the repetitiveness of the content. Reused dungeons that you repeat on multiple difficulties and use mutators to add flavor. I’m also not a huge fan of the gearing system which just amounts to a weapon you level and add perks to, and 3 trinkets with gem slots basically.

The "level your weapon and add perks to it" is pure Warframe, but Warframe also has hundreds of weapons and you're expected to constantly change to new ones after you finish leveling the old ones. This game certainly doesn't have that yet (and also does not remotely match the pace of Warframe weapon leveling by any means).

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

the trick in ff8 is that you mostly want to be doing conversions instead of draws, you can use your liquid items to refill and actively use your spells, which becomes worth it against bosses when you're buffed with double/triple. stat losses from casting can add up eventually but losing a few here and there is trivial

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mr. Pickles posted:

FF8 aint exactly a game you rawdog without a guide and finish. You can do it but you will not complete all 6 CDs

You likely need a guide of you want to 100% the cards and/or abuse the system, but it's not a particularly hard FF otherwise, did it blind back then.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

if you don't know what you're doing in ff8 you can just let yourself be carried by GFs with their heavy damage and their substantial health shielding you while they charge up. thats how i beat it when i was a tiny squirt

love to be carried by my GF

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Pryce posted:

The "level your weapon and add perks to it" is pure Warframe, but Warframe also has hundreds of weapons and you're expected to constantly change to new ones after you finish leveling the old ones. This game certainly doesn't have that yet (and also does not remotely match the pace of Warframe weapon leveling by any means).
As a warframe lifer, wayfinder doesn't compare. There's some related features like random maps and echos/mods.

temple fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 28, 2023

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
Why is wayfinder even being talked about in this thread, it looks like a wholly unremarkable wish.com version of warframe. Is every game with a multiplayer lobby now a mmo?

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

an iksar marauder posted:

Why is wayfinder even being talked about in this thread, it looks like a wholly unremarkable wish.com version of warframe. Is every game with a multiplayer lobby now a mmo?

I mean I get what you’re saying because it doesn’t have a lot of zones, but they are shared zones at least I guess? It kinda reminds me of Destiny in terms of shared experience. Idk, the Wayfinder people label it as an MMORPG and most of the (albeit lovely) MMO news sites are covering it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I think a game with big rear end open world zones where you can see dozens of players counts. It is not strictly lobby.

Game isn't that great though lol

temple
Jul 29, 2006

its an mmo

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

temple posted:

its an mmo

The defination of an MMO is wierd.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

am i an mmo?

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Kevin Bacon posted:

am i an mmo?

You are yummy, Yumm Bacon!

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.

PyRosflam posted:

The defination of an MMO is wierd.

Ffxiv isn’t a mmo

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Ffxiv isn’t a mmo

I see you've chosen violence

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Your mom is an MMO ha ha owned

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

A hotdog is an MMO.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Mine sure is

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Cool Dad posted:

Mine sure is

Well, they call it that but it's mostly a solo game.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Bruceski posted:

A hotdog is an MMO.

A hotdog is an MMO but a sandwich is not an MMO

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ffxiv isn’t a mmo

This is true and why I quit after 30 levels of mashing through cutscenes because my pals were telling me to join them. Doesn't make it a bad game but it felt more like a single player game with lots of people in it.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
i've enjoyed my fair share of MMOs but there are a few where i've thought "dang i wish this was just a single player game"

ff14 and sw:tor are the two i remember most clearly

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
ff14 has some great dungeons/raids you can play with friends and it'd be a strictly worse game if it was single player

that goes for pretty much any game, but ff14 especially, can you imagine playing a game with fuckin everquest combat, but you can't even play it with friends? absolute nightmare

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

jokes posted:

getting 24 of my closest friends together to raid the costco hotdogs

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

I just waited until they got their server issues resolved and am now enjoying Wayfinder AMA

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

jokes posted:

i will not hear this slander of BLT Online

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Pandaal posted:

I just waited until they got their server issues resolved and am now enjoying Wayfinder AMA

:same: although I’ve only played like 5 hours so far.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Yeah I've played about 15 so I'm not at the crazy grind yet, which is where the seams typically start to show. But I get what the core loop of the game will be and considering the content that's already here, if they can keep up with a decent release pace for new boss fights and a new zone every 6 months or so this could be something really cool. I've already hit some challenging content with some decent mechanics which is more than I can say for any other themepark MMO I've ever played this early on.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Pandaal posted:

Yeah I've played about 15 so I'm not at the crazy grind yet, which is where the seams typically start to show. But I get what the core loop of the game will be and considering the content that's already here, if they can keep up with a decent release pace for new boss fights and a new zone every 6 months or so this could be something really cool. I've already hit some challenging content with some decent mechanics which is more than I can say for any other themepark MMO I've ever played this early on.
Grinding is good. The only bad grind is night's maw because its broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

Pandaal posted:

What is the gameplay stuff you do? The game looked cool but I didn’t look too much into it past seeing you use premade characters.