Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Car Hater posted:

Deathitis

Deathemia

Deathpathy

Deathosis

death stranding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Pingui posted:

NYT doing what to me comes off as half-assed pieces, interviewing a clown brigade, appears to be the new normal (this article sucks).

What even is the point in asking the person in charge of the group for sending kids back to school, if kids should be sent back to school? Or the guy that can't figure out that if people are already feeling unwell, a mask won't protect them? Idk, but the entire piece is a mish-mash without any clear point.

Archived link: https://archive.li/MZ9rB

Staying home while you're sick is actually bad for kids now.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Pingui posted:

Seems bad.
"Scientists Sound the Alarm: COVID-19 Virus Is Rapidly Evolving in White-Tailed Deer"

Article proper:
"Accelerated evolution of SARS-CoV-2 in free-ranging white-tailed deer"

drat it's crazy how much time these deer are spending indoors.

I bet fish are doing pretty good against the novel coronavirus because they're usually in schools.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

DominoKitten posted:

Evidence of leaky protection following COVID-19 vaccination and SARS-CoV-2 infection in an incarcerated population, Nature Communications, Open Access Published 19 August 2023

As summarized on Twitter by Prof. Akiko Iwasaki (Sterling Professor of Immunobiology and Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology at Yale University, and an Investigator of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute):

Feels exploitative to incarcerated people to research like this instead of making things safer for them, but does allow for tracking in a way you can't in more humane conditions.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

“some lady’s post on linkedin about her dead husband” posted:

He suffered from an undiagnosed heart disease and died suddenly from a heart attack. We are all in immense shock as Nicholas was so young, only 36 years old.

seems fine

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Buffer posted:

Oh, good - we hoarded ours off a scrip from my wife's neuro during this time period.

So I'm all good RE: Poppers hospital.

That’s cool. Sucks for that pregnant woman who couldn’t get Paxlovid but I’m glad you have a bunch of courses laying around.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

DominoKitten posted:

Evidence of leaky protection following COVID-19 vaccination and SARS-CoV-2 infection in an incarcerated population, Nature Communications, Open Access Published 19 August 2023

As summarized on Twitter by Prof. Akiko Iwasaki (Sterling Professor of Immunobiology and Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology at Yale University, and an Investigator of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute):

Feels exploitative to incarcerated people to research like this instead of making things safer for them, but does allow for tracking in a way you can't in more humane conditions.

Yeah, poo poo I'm not comfy with neither; should be filtering the air but lmao if the corrections assholes are going to do anything beyond being monsters.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Poppers posted:

That’s cool. Sucks for that pregnant woman who couldn’t get Paxlovid but I’m glad you have a bunch of courses laying around.

It doesn't actually seem to have impacted availability at all - nor do you know the situation / medical history - but I appreciate the moralizing party gal. You have a lot of room to get up on a high horse here.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Buffer posted:

It doesn't actually seem to have impacted availability at all - nor do you know the situation / medical history - but I appreciate the moralizing party gal. You have a lot of room to get up on a high horse here.

I believe Poppers uses masculine pronouns, friend.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Buffer posted:

iu think i udnerstand the spectrum just fine lOL

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Lol

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Poppers posted:

Skill issue

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
It is a natural experiment. The researchers looked at data available, but did not create the data and the only reason that data was collected in the first place, appears to be the Connecticut ACLU making a ruckus:

https://ctmirror.org/2020/06/07/aclu-and-state-settles-covid-19-prison-lawsuit/ posted:

ACLU and state settles COVID-19 prison lawsuit
(..)
Many of the agreement’s terms are practices the department has already adopted. It states that the DOC will test all inmates, which the department started doing last month.
(..)

The dehumanizing comes from the US penal system. You are taking offense at a poster for recognizing that the system producing the data is inhumane, even if the research is contributing to science.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Pingui posted:

It is a natural experiment. The researchers looked at data available, but did not create the data and the only reason that data was collected in the first place, appears to be the Connecticut ACLU making a ruckus:

The dehumanizing comes from the US penal system. You are taking offense at a poster for recognizing that the system producing the data is inhumane, even if the research is contributing to science.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Lib and let die posted:

I believe Poppers uses masculine pronouns, friend.

Oh? I must've misremembered, I'm legitimately sorry for any misgendering.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

lmao

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Yes, we agree. The US penal system is pretty closely aligned with nazi's.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

hoarding paxlovid is part of my antinatalist strategy

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

lighting a cigar with a burning box of paxlovid over here

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Pingui posted:

They didn't even get the data, the ACLU did; would be nice to use it in a legal trial some day. Granted, the levels of crimes against humanity that the corrections systems get to mean that that might be an excess thing on top and slow the trial. :dogstare:

StratGoatCom has issued a correction as of 16:08 on Aug 28, 2023

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

StratGoatCom posted:

They didn't even get the data, the ACLU did; would be nice to use it in a legal trial some day. Granted, the levels of crimes against humanity that the corrections systems get to mean that that might be an excess thing on top and slow the trial. :dogstare:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

you should want all those people freed and the prisons abolished lmfao, not some completely inane fine decided by the US court system

Baddog
May 12, 2001
The attitude among some that you should just act like there is no pandemic, but chug some pax when you do get sick, is contributing to a lot more use of paxlovid than anything else.

But that is overwhelmingly counteracted by the crushing preponderance of "pax has too many side effects*, you shouldn't take it unless X and Y and Z". Therefore the demand for the drug just isn't there, they aren't making much of it now because there is no demand, and most of it that was ordered is expired.

The tiny fraction of people who are still concerned about covid enough to want to get a box of pax ahead of time is vanishingly small. But in any case, both rave-paxxers and doomers are keeping demand from completely flat-lining, so hopefully more will get made here soon. And there is still pax out there, hospital supply chain managers have to start prioritizing keeping poo poo in stock instead of just-in-time optimization for a few more pennies.

*seems like most are worried about icky taste and "rebounds", which is dumb as poo poo. But I'm personally not excited about taking a set of drugs which inhibit liver function, for any amount of time. So still trying to just not get covid.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

AnimeIsTrash posted:

you should want all those people freed and the prisons abolished lmfao, not some completely inane fine decided by the US court system

Duh, dumbass, so obvious it goes without saying.

That would be trying the guards and management.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

StratGoatCom posted:

Duh, dumbass.

thats not what you said

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

nice edit

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Baddog posted:

The attitude among some that you should just act like there is no pandemic...

This is the problem across the board and is probably the most frustrating element of the entire thing.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2023.08.22.23293434v1.full.pdf

Not great performance here. Better then nothing, but distinctly meh.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

AnimeIsTrash posted:

thats not what you said

I mean, what is there else to say beyond 'In a better world, the data that the study is based on would have been CC'd to the Hague, and I hope that paper is an exhibit in a trial at some point?'

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 372 days!
you can get good data from the occurrence of unfavorable things, i think

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

tenderjerk posted:

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

tenderjerk posted:

Let's not mince words, it's like the pop culture version of that poo poo from the axis stuff, except there's actually useful data there unlike :godwin:.

Hopefully we see similar trials for what created it one day.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

This is definitely my most radical opinion but here it goes. Having worked in correctional health for a year at the world's largest penal colony conducting research and therefore witnessed uncountable cruelties, every jail should be burnt to the ground and our entire criminal justice system should have to be restarted from scratch because there is absolutely nothing worth saving.

Any study of inmates is inherently coercive and no study of inmates can be ethical as a result. Data collected unethically are suspect for a myriad of reasons and therefore I do not trust any study conducted with an incarcerated population. I had to fight to not get my own work published because I didn't believe in it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
poppers gonna do their part to protect pregnant women by not spreading the disease harmful to pregnant women or is that just a bridge too far?

diseases spread and humans hoard, not much you can do about you know?

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Rosalind posted:

This is definitely my most radical opinion but here it goes. Having worked in correctional health for a year at the world's largest penal colony conducting research and therefore witnessed uncountable cruelties, every jail should be burnt to the ground and our entire criminal justice system should have to be restarted from scratch because there is absolutely nothing worth saving.

Any study of inmates is inherently coercive and no study of inmates can be ethical as a result. Data collected unethically are suspect for a myriad of reasons and therefore I do not trust any study conducted with an incarcerated population. I had to fight to not get my own work published because I didn't believe in it.

That is basically thread consensus; that metastudy is something that should have been CC'd to the loving hague.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Rosalind posted:

Any study of inmates is inherently coercive and no study of inmates can be ethical as a result. Data collected unethically are suspect for a myriad of reasons and therefore I do not trust any study conducted with an incarcerated population.

yup

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Rosalind posted:

:yeah:

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Gildiss posted:

:rubby:

Unseasonal Summer Flu Continues to Rage

Completely unrelated tidbit from 2022-04-09.

Half of Korean children aged 9 and below infected with COVID-19

And hell, why not. The total infection tally for that age group today. Though it surely includes many second/third infections by this point.

https://ncov.kdca.go.kr/en/bdBoardList.do?brdId=16&brdGubun=161&dataGubun=&ncvContSeq=&contSeq=&board_id=
Thanks for sharing. Out of curiosity, does Korea have its own version of Emily Oster-type "my data shows that schools are safe" ghouls?

Pingui posted:

Seems bad.
"Scientists Sound the Alarm: COVID-19 Virus Is Rapidly Evolving in White-Tailed Deer"

Article proper:
"Accelerated evolution of SARS-CoV-2 in free-ranging white-tailed deer"
Seems like a tough time to be a mammal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Rosalind posted:

this is a good opinion