Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I got a roll to roll higher than a 0

I got a nat 1 and I think the only reason the game considered it a success instead of a critical failure is because it couldn't comprehend failing a 0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
You've failed. Success!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Funnily enough, I asked my original question because of how terrible BG3 is as a multiplayer game. I can't explain why, but it doesn't feel like teamwork in a turn-based game. I know what I do and I know what he does, he knows what I do and what he does, and we win the fight. It felt about as engaging as picking one of the characters in a JRPG party and being the one that picks their menu options.

Azran posted:

Welcome to D&D :v:

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Wrestlequest isnt being talked about. Thats a bad sign

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Sorry but Armored Core is really distracting

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

For an old game with teamwork, how about Magicka? You don't need close teamwork to defeat the enemies, but you do need it in order to avoid killing each other.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

D&D system is so loving bad, even more so when it's used in a video game that doesn't have DM to work around all of it's dumbest systems.
Despite being stuck with that poo poo, Baldur's Gate 3 is fantastic though.

I really hope that their next game is going to be DOS3 so they can use all of their new tech on a game that doesn't have a D&D albatross hanging around it's neck.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

D&D system is so loving bad, even more so when it's used in a video game that doesn't have DM to work around all of it's dumbest systems.
Despite being stuck with that poo poo, Baldur's Gate 3 is fantastic though.

I really hope that their next game is going to be DOS3 so they can use all of their new tech on a game that doesn't have a D&D albatross hanging around it's neck.

Yeah, I've been playing a variety of TTRPGs in the last few years, and it was kind of a shock to go back to plain D&D for BG3. Especially when I reached level 4, finally unlocked the first set of feats, and was quickly reminded that the feats in D&D kind of suck poo poo. In other systems, feats (or equivalent) are often the kind of thing to really distinguish characters and give them specific mechanical niches beyond their class, but here they're downright boring.

BG3 still owns though.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Upsidads posted:

Wrestlequest isnt being talked about. Thats a bad sign

Yeah... Wrestlequest is for a very specific audience and it was hampered by bad reviews from a launch bug they later fixed. The gameplay is fine for a JRPG-like, but there's no new mechanics you haven't seen before. It's clever how it ties everything to wrestling though. Your coaches are Final Fantasy summons, and your teammates do Chrono Trigger teamups attacks. Taunting and flashy moves increase your hype meter, which translates into more damage and exp and such.

I got excited when it seemed like you had to lose on purpose as a "jobber" to make others look good, but that didn't seem to go anywhere and was only a story beat, not a gameplay mechanic. Maybe they come back to it further into the game. I bounced hard off of the cheesy wrestling dialogue, and once I was skipping dialogue, I lost interest and never continued.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Aug 28, 2023

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, I've been playing a variety of TTRPGs in the last few years, and it was kind of a shock to go back to plain D&D for BG3. Especially when I reached level 4, finally unlocked the first set of feats, and was quickly reminded that the feats in D&D kind of suck poo poo. In other systems, feats (or equivalent) are often the kind of thing to really distinguish characters and give them specific mechanical niches beyond their class, but here they're downright boring.

BG3 still owns though.

:same: Seriously though, unless you want to make up some odd numbers on your stats (which in turn requires that you plan ahead that many levels), D&D's feats are garbage. It's been 5 friggin' editions, people! It's about time we gave up tiny bonuses to stats!

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I've enjoyed tabletop 5th edition quite a bit but my group also had little respect for the rules. Would rather spend time on describing the cool thing we are doing (or how incredibly we hosed it up) than abstracting from the game-play too much. Pick the class/feat/spell that sounds cool and roll with it - change how it works if it's too confusing or bad. Would be the same with any TTRPG, really.

Well, exception being 4th edition because that played more like a tactical combat board game, or maybe a card game. Still a tragedy no good games were developed for that system.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Aug 28, 2023

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Runa posted:

Sorry but Armored Core is really distracting

And Sea of Stars is out tomorrow, another promising RPG to compete in this busy month.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Pillars of Eternity has a great system with cool feats and I'm sad we probably will never see another one.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

CommissarMega posted:

:same: Seriously though, unless you want to make up some odd numbers on your stats (which in turn requires that you plan ahead that many levels), D&D's feats are garbage. It's been 5 friggin' editions, people! It's about time we gave up tiny bonuses to stats!

The fact that Ability Improvement is basically mandatory at level 5 for most classes because of the way stats work anyway. It doesn't even feel good because at that point it's like "cool now my ability points are where I actually kind of want them"

Like again, it's still a fantastic game, I've put 60 hours into it and I'm barely into Act 2, but still, it's... uh, abrasive, might be the best word I can come up with. And that's not really Larian's fault as much as it is Wizards for making such a weird loving system that most people work around in some manner.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Fruits of the sea posted:

Well, exception being 4th edition because that played more like a tactical combat board game, or maybe a card game. Still a tragedy no good games were developed for that system.

If memory serves, Lancer is something of a reskin for 4th edition, only with mechs instead of classes, repairs instead of healing surges, etc. It's a neat tabletop system with a lot of tactical complexity.

Bringing it back around to videogames, there's also an early PC version on Itch.

https://wick.itch.io/lancer-tactics

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Macichne Leainig posted:

The fact that Ability Improvement is basically mandatory at level 5 for most classes because of the way stats work anyway. It doesn't even feel good because at that point it's like "cool now my ability points are where I actually kind of want them"

Like again, it's still a fantastic game, I've put 60 hours into it and I'm barely into Act 2, but still, it's... uh, abrasive, might be the best word I can come up with. And that's not really Larian's fault as much as it is Wizards for making such a weird loving system that most people work around in some manner.

No, but it is Larian's fault that the intentory system is still such a pain in the rear end to work with. Also the camera, which desperately needs some XCOM-style "move up or down on the z-axis" buttons.

That said, yeah I've been loving the hell out of it. Got up to act 3 on easy difficulty, but combat was too boring so I started a new one on normal, it's so much more fun. Just the fact that you can't slug it out with enemies, but have to be more proactive about disabling them and giving them roll penalties makes it more engaging. If you go into a fight the wrong way, you'll just get wrecked immediately, even with the most basic encounters.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Fruits of the sea posted:

I've enjoyed tabletop 5th edition quite a bit but my group also had little respect for the rules. Would rather spend time on describing the cool thing we are doing (or how incredibly we hosed it up) than abstracting from the game-play too much. Pick the class/feat/spell that sounds cool and roll with it - change how it works if it's too confusing or bad. Would be the same with any TTRPG, really.

i will never understand why people play d&d 5th edition and then ignore all of the rules instead of playing literally anything else lol

there are so many games that do exactly what d&d does but with much better game design and as many or few rules as you want instead of trying to hamfist a bad bloated game into being something completely different

Dr. Gargunza posted:

If memory serves, Lancer is something of a reskin for 4th edition, only with mechs instead of classes, repairs instead of healing surges, etc. It's a neat tabletop system with a lot of tactical complexity.

Bringing it back around to videogames, there's also an early PC version on Itch.

https://wick.itch.io/lancer-tactics

pathfinder 2nd edition is basically "d&d 4th edition but good, actually" and also very well supported

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Begemot posted:

No, but it is Larian's fault that the intentory system is still such a pain in the rear end to work with. Also the camera, which desperately needs some XCOM-style "move up or down on the z-axis" buttons.

What's wrong with the inventory system?

Also you know you can just press O to see things from above if you have to, right?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ShadowMar posted:

i will never understand why people play d&d 5th edition and then ignore all of the rules instead of playing literally anything else lol

there are so many games that do exactly what d&d does but with much better game design and as many or few rules as you want instead of trying to hamfist a bad bloated game into being something completely different

Because in the mind of your average joe "D&D" = "PnP RPG".
They just don't know that other systems exists.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Jack Trades posted:

What's wrong with the inventory system?

Also you know you can just press O to see things from above if you have to, right?

For one, having a fuller "base" inventory means longer load times. I seriously shaved 20 seconds of quickload time by putting stuff in bags (which I still keep in my inventory)

Also there's the "issue" of whether something is clearly junk or if it will have some use later (though from a roleplaying perspective marking things as "this will never be useful" might be a bit too game-y)

though those are a bit self-imposed problems since I like to loot everything that's not nailed down

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

ymgve posted:

though those are a bit self-imposed problems since I like to loot everything that's not nailed down

The best reason to roll high STR characters tbh.

I rolled a Paladin, put more points into STR, and Karlach and I just carry around barrels of smokepowder/firewine, whenever combat feels particularly difficult that usually levels the playing field.

It's also some Video Game rear end poo poo to do and I love it :allears:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

ShadowMar posted:

Half this:

Jack Trades posted:

Because in the mind of your average joe "D&D" = "PnP RPG".
They just don't know that other systems exists.

And the other half being that the D&D fantasy pastiche is something most people have already absorbed via cultural osmosis. The folks in my group are keen on roleplaying but aren't going to read any lore after they are done work, put the kids to bed and have some time on the computer.

We moved on to the Fantasy Flight Star Wars ttrpg after, which I'd recommend but it's hard to find in some countries.

E: we still ignored some rules :banjo:

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 28, 2023

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Macichne Leainig posted:

The best reason to roll high STR characters tbh.

I rolled a Paladin, put more points into STR, and Karlach and I just carry around barrels of smokepowder/firewine, whenever combat feels particularly difficult that usually levels the playing field.

It's also some Video Game rear end poo poo to do and I love it :allears:

The best reason for high STR is so you can lift and throw heavier enemies :colbert:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

gently caress me

enough with the bangers, 2023

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I scream NO MORE GAMES and the heavens answer MORE GAMES… MORE GAMES…

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

The 7th Guest posted:

gently caress me

*Kicks current games to the side as I fire up yet another pixel art RPG on the Steam Deck*

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

The 7th Guest posted:

gently caress me

even my steam deck holiday backlog is getting too full

CLARPUS
Apr 3, 2008
Seeing that.
Seeing as.

Next week I will have active save files for BG3, Sea of Stars, and Starfield. gently caress.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

The 7th Guest posted:

gently caress me

Sea of Stars seems like it's a good JRPG for people like me who have fond nostalgic/childhood memories of the genre but find themselves turned off by it as an adult, so hopefully it delivers on that

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

CLARPUS posted:

Next week I will have active save files for BG3, Sea of Stars, and Starfield. gently caress.

You could save time by skipping the bad one.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oxxidation posted:

I scream NO MORE GAMES and the heavens answer MORE GAMES… MORE GAMES…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQb6EJ6u9EU

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

ShadowMar posted:

pathfinder 2nd edition is basically "d&d 4th edition but good, actually" and also very well supported

Which is especially hilarious considering how Pathfinder began, as a "we're keeping the 3.5 rules!" reaction to 4E. (Source: I was at two consecutive GenCons: when 4E was launched, then the next year when PF1E sold out basically instantly.)

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

gently caress me

I'm really suspicious about what that studio makes after the Jordan Peterson stuff in The Messenger (and the removed gender joke), especially since it's the same main writer / game director.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

in reference to the messenger, the dev has clarified that he does not support/like jordan peterson now but did when he was younger

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Jack Trades posted:

You could save time by skipping the bad one.

Yeah but he probably already started BG3.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

If anyone besides me still cares, the new Saints Row is on steam now and on sale for 20 bucks
Apparently it's September's PSN+ game too.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

in reference to the messenger, the dev has clarified that he does not support/like jordan peterson now but did when he was younger

That's cool to know, thanks for the context!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Does Sea of Stars have an angle that makes ppl excited about it? It didnt stand out on watching the trailer (not that trailers mean anything).

EDIT: Oh the OST is done by literally Yasunori Mitsuda? Thats pretty hype.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 28, 2023

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the messenger was an indie darling for the internet at large and chunky snes sprites are catnip to a lot of people

I think the messenger played very well despite the awkward genre switch and godawful writing so at minimum I’m interested to see if any of that gamefeel translates to turn based. shouldn’t take long to find out, I dropped chained echoes after twenty minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

The pixelart has me all worked up. It's absolutely gorgeous, and also meticulously mixed with modern effects in a way that doesn't outright break the SNES feel. At least as I can recall from the demo.

It isn't uncommon with dynamic lights, shadows, 3D effects and such in pixelart style games, but that often includes graphical quirks that can be distracting. Like hearing the Wilhelm scream once you're aware of it.

Release edit: It made me instantly eat my words. Even with the pixel perfect option ticked, the camera has problems with non pixel perfect movement as seen in the intro scroll. And the shadows on the bonfire on the start screen had the typical pixel artifacts of a 2.5D Unity games. It's still a pretty game, just not the technical outlier I expected.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Aug 29, 2023