Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Panfilo posted:

I always wonder what these idiots are like in real life. Anonymity has a way of making a person larger than life, and Twitter's current systems really amplify the worst of the worst. But what is Lo Fi republican in real life? Some baby faced college republican from BYU? A gas station attendant? A pensioner living in the desolate swamps of Florida?

My guess is a minimum wage worker at a bleak corporate retail store who went out of his way to thwart a shoplifter (despite gaining nothing himself and the franchise standing to lose very little) because he saw what happened to Spider-man and knows deep down that if you let a criminal escape they might come for your uncle next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

DarklyDreaming posted:

I sometimes used to put security tag thingies on pricier items at a retail place I used to work at, what does that make me?

How does boot tatse lmao?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Panfilo posted:

I always wonder what these idiots are like in real life. Anonymity has a way of making a person larger than life, and Twitter's current systems really amplify the worst of the worst. But what is Lo Fi republican in real life? Some baby faced college republican from BYU? A gas station attendant? A pensioner living in the desolate swamps of Florida?

well, the lofi republican dipshit is around 25, though forget what he actually does

and the dude making the rape comparison is the human pet guy

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mr Interweb posted:

and the dude making the rape comparison is the human pet guy

Uhhh do I even want to know

E: oh wow googling "human pet guy" answers that. Guy apparently thinks I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream had a happy ending.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 25, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Everyone knows human pet guy.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

related:

https://twitter.com/KevinMKruse/status/1695091397894811656

loving :lol:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Yeah without tow truck drivers how would society survive :geno:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The thin piss line between people and having free stuff.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah without tow truck drivers how would society survive :geno:

You know tow trucks do things besides repo, right? Like I had to have my car towed to a tire store when I got a flat.

Flag is still dumb as poo poo, don't get me wrong. It just seems odd to choose the one group represented who actually do something useful and not loving loss prevention.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

You know tow trucks do things besides repo, right? Like I had to have my car towed to a tire store when I got a flat.

Flag is still dumb as poo poo, don't get me wrong. It just seems odd to choose the one group represented who actually do something useful and not loving loss prevention.

i figure the immediate thought upon hearing tow truck drivers are the people who take away your car for going 5 mins in a parking spot and charge you $100/day to get it back (seriously, how the gently caress is this poo poo legal? :psyduck: )

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Avi Eisenberg is a crypto trader. He was arrested in December 2022 and held as a flight risk - which is exceedingly unusual in a commodities market manipulation case.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the One Joke about Libertarians turning up true again (PDF):

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
How do they even envision "National Divorce" even happening?
https://twitter.com/LPNational/status/1695788205826576518?t=od7np2ain8GJKivJi547UA&s=19

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Capitulate to us, gently caress you.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They put us in the ovens.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They seem to be on "states were made up, county by county referendum" at the moment.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
And how to they think the counties were made?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
"The Washington Regime" is very funny.

America was a libertarian paradise until Americans took it over.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Most of the English colonies were straight up anarchist communes in their first fifty or so years. Then they all sold out and became resource extraction sites for The Crown

Of course, it was always gonna end that way because no one steals land benevolently

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Oh I know this one!

Some libertarians consider Washington basically a monarchist who betrayed the American Revolution by imposing federal taxes on Americans and crushing the Whiskey Rebellion.

I learned this from that graphic novel where an anti-government hero cop is transported to a Libertarian alt-history universe where the point of divergence was the Whiskey Rebellion succeeded and Washington and Hamilton were executed as tyrants.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

VitalSigns posted:

I learned this from that graphic novel where an anti-government hero cop is transported to a Libertarian alt-history universe where the point of divergence was the Whiskey Rebellion succeeded and Washington and Hamilton were executed as tyrants.

This is The Probability Broach by L Neil Smith, which won the Prometheus award for outstanding Libertarian propaganda. An organization founded and overseen by L Neil Smith

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Probability Broach summary posted:

[H]e eventually finds himself projected into the North American Confederacy by means of the "Probability Broach", an inter-dimensional conduit originally developed as a means for interstellar travel in the North American Confederacy by a bottlenose dolphin physicist, named Ooloorie Eckickeck P'Wheet, and her human compatriot, Dr. Dora Jayne Thorens.

This sounds wild. Male dolphins are notorious rapists, I wonder if this influenced the creative process?

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
It's actually mostly dumb and libertarian wanking material written by someone who never thinks about implications of anything . A thread on here did a read along for it at some point in the past decade. It was entertaining

Also surprise suprise the ending has them temporarily abandoning their libertarian principles to win the day and this isn't seen as hypocritical or an argument against libertarian ism

Also, racism and sexism would have never existed in American society in this alt history and we wouldn't have genocided the indigenous population despite you know libertarian history

Edit 2: Also there were chimp slaves who were happy to be slaves right? Something like that where I'm not sure the author was dog whistling or was just too dumb to see the implications

Billy Gnosis fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 28, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

DarklyDreaming posted:

This is The Probability Broach by L Neil Smith, which won the Prometheus award for outstanding Libertarian propaganda. An organization founded and overseen by L Neil Smith
Founding an organization to proclaim yourself best libertarian probably does make you so, because that's near peak libertarian.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Didn't Rand Paul start his own optometrist board, with blackjack and hookers extra freedom because he got into a slap-fight with the larger organization?

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo

Guavanaut posted:

Founding an organization to proclaim yourself best libertarian probably does make you so, because that's near peak libertarian.

Only if you are subsequently eaten by a bear, making it the Prometheus Memorial Award.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Rappaport posted:

Didn't Rand Paul start his own optometrist board, with blackjack and hookers extra freedom because he got into a slap-fight with the larger organization?

Yes. The American Board of Ophthalmology passed a new rule stating that Ophthalmologists need to be recertified every ten years (rather than being certified for life), with accompanying recertification fees. But, and this is key, members who had been originally certified before 1992 were grandfathered in and were exempt from recertification. Rand Paul was certified in 1995. Thus began the most libertarian of feuds, with Rand Paul establishing his own rival board, the National Board of Ophthalmology, whose board of directors were made up of the Paul family, which ran for about a decade before falling apart, and which even Rand Paul's supporters described as "dysfunctional and poorly orchestrated".

As far as I know, no state requires board certification to be a practicing Ophthalmologist, so the entire thing was largely legally meaningless.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Rappaport posted:

This sounds wild. Male dolphins are notorious rapists, I wonder if this influenced the creative process?

There used to be more popular ideas in sci-fi of "uplifting" dolphins and other cetaceans. A lot of the pop culture idea of the intelligence of dolphins came from the work of one guy, John C. Lily, who on top of proving the intelligence of dolphins, thought that if he could just bridge the communication gap, that'd open up a lot.

Independent from his work in dolphins, he also did some work and speculation about aliens, which created a whole link between dolphins and sci-fi. Not-so-independently, he also did lots of work with altered states of consciousness and psychoactive drugs, which explains how elaborate his speculation and delusions about aliens got. He also gave dolphins LSD. Don't give dolphins LSD.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also way at the opposite end to L Neil Smith, J Posadas had some wild ideas about UFOs, advanced technology, and communication with dolphins being key to human liberation.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

There used to be more popular ideas in sci-fi of "uplifting" dolphins and other cetaceans. A lot of the pop culture idea of the intelligence of dolphins came from the work of one guy, John C. Lily, who on top of proving the intelligence of dolphins, thought that if he could just bridge the communication gap, that'd open up a lot.

Independent from his work in dolphins, he also did some work and speculation about aliens, which created a whole link between dolphins and sci-fi. Not-so-independently, he also did lots of work with altered states of consciousness and psychoactive drugs, which explains how elaborate his speculation and delusions about aliens got. He also gave dolphins LSD. Don't give dolphins LSD.

The 'Known Space' universe also has intelligent dolphins IIRC, but I can't remember a story that features them as characters off the seat of my pants. There was also Margaret Howe Lovatt who worked with dr. Lilly on dolphin-human communication experiments and wound up doing... Other things with a male dolphin. 60s were funky, as they say.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Billy Gnosis posted:

Also surprise suprise the ending has them temporarily abandoning their libertarian principles to win the day and this isn't seen as hypocritical or an argument against libertarian ism

I love when the government meets for the first time in like a hundred years to figure out what to do about the villain and he facetimes in and says basically "yes I am building a doomsday weapon to kill you all, but under your laws I can own any kind of weapon I want and according to your stupid ideology since I haven't used it yet you can't do anything to me until I initiate force" and all the libertarians are just like "welp he's got us there we just have to let him win."

Except the main characters of course who go out and do what is according to their principles essentially a lynching, but nobody reexamines their ideology in light of this

Billy Gnosis posted:

Edit 2: Also there were chimp slaves who were happy to be slaves right? Something like that where I'm not sure the author was dog whistling or was just too dumb to see the implications
No they're equal to humans with full rights I think, iirc the unfortunate implications are the end of the book where the Libertarian universe drops off copies of like Ayn Rand or whatever in Africa and our chimps read them and form a lolbertarian people's liberation army to destroy all our statist governments

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

In uh positive? Libertarian news, Vermin's running again

https://twitter.com/Politics1com/status/1696168262617194561

I don't know if he has any non-joke policies or anything, I just personally watched him get inbetween a bunch of protesters and cops in Boston right after Charlottsville and defuse a pretty tense situation, so that's my interaction with the dude.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Rappaport posted:

The 'Known Space' universe also has intelligent dolphins IIRC, but I can't remember a story that features them as characters off the seat of my pants.

i just read World of Ptavvs. there's a dolphin in that.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

If you want intelligent dolphins in SF, then there's also David Brin's Uplift series. Humans have uplifted both dolphins and chimps to sapience, and then discover galactic society where this is the norm - to the point that humanity's claims of evolution through natural selection are seen as wildly aberrant and cause political problems because humans have no parent/sponsor species but do have clients. As I recall, the second book in particular features uplifted dolphins heavily as characters.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Doc Hawkins posted:

You're right! It's been like a decade since I've read that, should refresh my memories. The Slavers could be interpreted as an allegory of late-stage libertarianism if one squints, even :banjo:

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
The Uplift series by David Brin also has intelligent dolphins.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

As does the "Flipper" series.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Johnny Mnemonic features a heroin addicted dolphin loaded with cyberware who cracks the password to Johnny's brain for some sweet sweet heroin.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Doc Hawkins posted:

That's a good one, shame about how Libertarian Known Space gets (plots become an excuse for weird sex and convoluted rationales for ephebophilia if they're humanoid aliens)

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
So is this kid some kind of plant or what
https://twitter.com/cboyack/status/1696508336345153691?t=iQxn0cjqS-lOmWsh6C_k-A&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Seems pretty obvious it was a "parent tries to victimize themselves by pretending it was all their kid's idea" and the school overreacted.

quote:

As you can hear his mom say in the video, Jaiden wanted to stand up for his (non-racist!) beliefs. So after he was kicked out of class, he asked his mom to take him to the news station to get the word out.

Yes, I'm sure that this was all Jaiden's idea and Jaiden demanded his mom go to the news station.