Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

emgeejay posted:

A lot of people involuntarily conjure these images in their head when they hear the phrase “forever game” because it’s just such an exciting notion for a certain kind of nerd who goes nuts for the idea, like when it was being said about No Man’s Sky pre-release, and like Bethesda is now saying with a “no really, for serious this time.”

there's a reason star shitizen has made hundreds of millions of dollars from fans throwing money at them

hope is a powerful drug

(this behavior sadly extends far beyond videogames, but I'll choose to be optimistic and believe it's healthier to hope and believe than it is to be cynical and realistic)

(if you believe anything Todd tells you you're a dummy)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

victrix posted:

there's a reason star shitizen has made hundreds of millions of dollars from fans throwing money at them

hope is a powerful drug

(this behavior sadly extends far beyond videogames, but I'll choose to be optimistic and believe it's healthier to hope and believe than it is to be cynical and realistic)

(if you believe anything Todd tells you you're a dummy)

To be fair to Bethesda, unlike Star Citizen they didn’t leverage the hope drug to create a $600M+ pyramid scheme.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

John F Bennett posted:

Starfield's exploration is going to rule.

It's going to rule 24/7!!

I think you have Starfield confused with the Tunnel Snakes.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

VanillaGorilla posted:

The part of this discourse that is really tiresome is the part where folks keep talking about comparison games’ strengths while ignoring all their limitations.

Yeah, NMS let you fly in and out of orbit and generated contiguous planets. Those planets were also almost uniformly pretty simple in terms of geometry, biomes, etc. (although this has changed for the better as they’ve put another 7 years of development into the game) and there was essentially nothing to do on them so…who loving cares?

It’s like we’ve all conveniently memory-holed the first 3-4 years of the game’s lifespan where Sean Murray couldn’t go out in public because THE GAMERS were so disappointed and enraged about the state of the game.

They’re video games! They’re going to have limitations and seams! Developers are going to accept some constraints to emphasize other areas of content.

NMS would have been fine at launch as it was. Sean Murray just decided to lie about a lot of things so it was a very self created problem. He didn't deserve the Gamer level hate, but he does deserve some poo poo for it.

Starfield launch has been pretty smart because there aren't a lot of hype and promises from Bethesda's end.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
There must always be a lich king space game that dipshit nerds imbue with all their hopes and dreams

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

My thoughts are that the majority of planets in space are going to be lifeless so I really don't care if not everything I land on has a unique, beautiful, biome. Couple of neat handcrafted systems and the resource I've scanned not too far from the landing site and others and I'll be golden.

The only game I've played with interesting procgen landscapes is Minecraft and having seen the leaked video it's going to be much more like NMS in which case I can't see myself wanting to travel more than 10mins from a landing spot.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

There must always be a lich king space game that dipshit nerds imbue with all their hopes and dreams

I stopped doing this when I realized space sims were all really loving boring

except freespace 2 that one rules

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

victrix posted:

[...] freespace 2 [...] rules

:hai:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Speaking of FreeSpace 2 and how great it was, I assume everyone who's played it is familiar with the FreeSpace 2 Source Code Project and how FreeSpace 1 + Silent Threat + 2 was ported to it with much better graphics?

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Global release times map for the newcomers.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

emgeejay posted:

Then there are the somewhat more informed Gamers roaming subreddits, resetera who have let themselves get burned by “le Todd” before and won’t get their hopes up about the potential implications of descriptions like “open for you to explore”. Even some of these people who expected cutscene transitions between planets, mostly procedurally generated surfaces, etc. will still be disappointed that, once locked onto the mostly procedural planet, there will be no future opportunities for, say, long vehicle chases or low-atmosphere flights across great planetary distances.
Right, so someone might be disappointed that there are no vehicles. That's fair. And different than being disappointed by the size of the map itself.

The rest of your post is exactly the kind of disappointment at a theoretical idea that I was talking about. Just knowing how it works makes it feel bad, even if you were realistically never going to interact with the limitations. If someone spent weeks walking around a planet in No Man's Sky, it was for the compelling idea of walking around the planet, not because the process would be remotely interesting itself.

Even your anecdote about getting lost for half an hour and having a nice adventure is both completely possible with Starfield's geographical limitations, assuming you're actually engaging with the terrain and not spending most of your time traveling in a completely straight line away from your landing point, and actually prevented by the fact that you can always fast travel to your ship.

Unless you're deliberately testing the limits, you will get bored before you reach a barrier. That's all there is to it.

I guess on reflection we're just talking about different things. If you're mainly saying the idea feels bad... well yeah. It would be hard to argue that's not the case when people are feeling bad about it and I'm not about to call someone's feelings wrong. I was responding to someone who was saying 10 minutes of sprinting on a map in a straight line meant 10 minutes of content per map. The limitation is completely immaterial for any sort of content based gameplay. If you're doing stuff and engaging with what's there, rather than testing limits, it really doesn't matter.

If you are testing limits, and trying to feel the procedural freedom of No Man's Sky, then yes, it would feel bad, I agree.

It's a good thing there is (presumably) a lot more hand crafted content to explore in this game than No Man's Sky. It seems like this game would indeed make a pretty poor No Man's Sky replacement.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m disappointed with everyone’s disappointment.

This game is going to rule and I’m glad it’s coming out in a few days.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

MarcusSA posted:

I’m disappointed with everyone’s disappointment.

This game is going to rule and I’m glad it’s coming out in a few days.

Reported for being positive in the Games forum

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

PeePot posted:

Alpha Centauri +4.37 lightyears

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
i'm going to get extremely high and explore inner space while i explore outer space

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I'm gonna play it and not even explore any of the planets :smug:

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

when is the Steam preload? Is there even gonna be one?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
I'm gonna play it and not even post about it.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

Autisanal Cheese posted:

when is the Steam preload? Is there even gonna be one?

Steam preload starts on August 30th.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

PeePot posted:

And a handy countdown. Every 5 minutes, a sandwich falls from the ceiling. A special guest even just showed up!

https://starfieldsandwich.com/

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

AirRaid posted:

I'm gonna play it and not even post about it.

*shaking, crying*

M…mods???!!

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

William Bear posted:

And a handy countdown. Every 5 minutes, a sandwich falls from the ceiling. A special guest even just showed up!

https://starfieldsandwich.com/

Open up your task manager and then open that link. My CPU goes from 32 to 53 C.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

They're just testing the dynamic economy Starcoin mod early.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

PeePot posted:

Yeah, because its running full blown Unity in the browser.

If you really want your browser to put your computer to work, you can run Doom 3:
https://wasm.continuation-labs.com/d3demo/

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

PeePot posted:

Do you think calculating the physics of a cargo hold table full of sandwiches is easy on the CPU? It sounds like you need to upgrade your PC before the game comes out

Edit: Checking again, the Adoring Fan is gone, and there are several large bloodstains on the wall. Heh.

William Bear fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 28, 2023

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

CBD Corndog posted:

Yeah, because its running full blown Unity in the browser.

If you really want your browser to put your computer to work, you can run Doom 3:
https://wasm.continuation-labs.com/d3demo/

Nope! The sandwich countdown runs slightly hotter and shows POWER USAGE VERY HIGH in red. Doom 3 only hits HIGH.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The game is gonna have features. Like ships, you can fly them and edit them. There's gonna be combat and you better believe there will be weapons and weapon types. They've got dialogue trees for speaking to NPCs. Sometimes you get to put things in and out of inventory, these can be items or other objects.

All in all, it should have gameplay.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

The game is gonna have features. Like ships, you can fly them and edit them. There's gonna be combat and you better believe there will be weapons and weapon types. They've got dialogue trees for speaking to NPCs. Sometimes you get to put things in and out of inventory, these can be items or other objects.

All in all, it should have gameplay.

Having features and gameplay is what's wrong with the modern game industry.

I think I'll pass on this game.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

lobsterminator posted:

Having features and gameplay is what's wrong with the modern game industry.

This was once posted unironically by one of the big Star Citizen promoters

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/StarfieldGame/status/1696175824997699705?s=20

I expect this dude has the True Cross on his desk.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Was that face made in The Sims 3?

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Man with stupid hat is man who will be no friend of mine.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Thats my face while playing Starfield

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

You can continue doing your job as the ship's captain knowing that Matty Krishna here is the kind of crewmember that will help you keep your chill by offering a freshly thawed mango to smoke out of even as the three of the four engines are flaming out and you've been captured in the gravity well of a sandworm planet.

Nyan Bread fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 28, 2023

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Digital Foundry got Todd's approval to talk a little bit about performance early. First 10 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WiIX2aUq9E

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

If anybody wants a look at Neon, one of the major cities, peep this before the ninjas find it:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yUarvCuJDj4

netizen
Jun 25, 2023
I don't wanna look but I kinda wanna look.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Looks...nice?

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

The dystopian inner city vibes are there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Just noticing, now, all the '20 XP' pop ups that are directly underneath your crosshair when you are in combat. Who likes that? Why is that there? Going to disable that immediately :colbert: