Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Yeah agreed, it felt really off after just watching the new UK and Guy Mont Spelling Bee, but now I've gotten used to it its not quite as jarring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Some fun little cameos in episode 3, plus a starring role for the fish poster!

itry
Aug 23, 2019

That studio task felt weirdly hostile.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

itry posted:

Yeah, I expected that contestants would be allowed at least some liberty with the bow, but they all literally had to go back to zero balls. Also, immediately had the same thought as Bubbah, very well played by her.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
Just finished series 15 and then a rewatch of my favourite past seasons.

Is there somewhere a Canadian can watch the NZ series? I've just been catching the UK ones on YouTube and I need more.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Martian Manfucker posted:

Just finished series 15 and then a rewatch of my favourite past seasons.

Is there somewhere a Canadian can watch the NZ series? I've just been catching the UK ones on YouTube and I need more.

If you have a VPN you can watch it straight on the website, otherwise it's probably :filez:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
it's been said in the thread before so I'm just going to take the cue from that, youtube search ozmartian and check the community tab

Espacio
Mar 25, 2006
Dieses ist der schlechteste verrat!
It’s all up on YouTube in Canada.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

I still think something about the studio audience is dragging it down a bit, but I really enjoyed that cassette tape task.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
love that festive little fox

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

The goon in the audience killed the vibe.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Just got an email today for the filming dates for UK taskmaster (September, 24-29). This is the second time in a row the timing has been terrible for me personally, so unfortunately I'm out. Maybe third time will be the charm.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

itry posted:

It was a mistake on their part to say “you must bow” as opposed to “you must dump all the balls off your plate”.

Also Kiran? Seemed to display some genuine anger with that throw.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

It was a mistake on their part to say “you must bow” as opposed to “you must dump all the balls off your plate”.

Her name is Karen, lol.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

a = i, e = a, i = e, o = u, u = u(?).
A wint sum fesh n cheps, plaisa

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Paladinus posted:

Yeah, I expected that contestants would be allowed at least some liberty with the bow, but they all literally had to go back to zero balls. Also, immediately had the same thought as Bubbah, very well played by her.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

It felt like there was a lot of context edited out. It just goes from 'start' to 'everyone's angry', including Paul. The extra commercial break is really lowering the quality of the show, or the editing is just not as good as I remember it to be in S1.

Edit: If I wanted to watch people being upset and uncomfortable I'd watch a terrible reality tv show. Possibly something with Ramsay the human prune.

itry fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 22, 2023

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Also RE: Jeremy being boring and bad with scoring, this episode I felt like he hit the loving nail on the head with the scoring portions.

Refusing to give anyone 5 points, rewarding craziness, some actual emotion during it.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Really liked how many different directions we got to see the contestants go with both Make a Bet and Improve Paul. I'm absolutely certain that Make a Bet will be doing the rounds of the Scandinavian series in the next year or so. "What bit you...*wheeze*...the jealousy bug?" was a lovely bit of Paul stepping outside his usual mode, replacing his usual unhelpful underacting with equally unhelpful overexerting. Apparently he had filmed the bet with Mel the day before and was determined to make up for the loss this time.

As soon as I saw Dai's improvement of Paul, this image popped into my head and I couldn't think of anything else:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

itry posted:

It felt like there was a lot of context edited out. It just goes from 'start' to 'everyone's angry', including Paul. The extra commercial break is really lowering the quality of the show, or the editing is just not as good as I remember it to be in S1.

Agreed that Jeremy got the scoring right, but all the prize tasks this season have felt extremely perfunctory. The extra commercial break is definitely part of it but that's been baked in since the beginning. Maybe it's the being heavy on creative tasks that you can't always edit together?

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Third episode seemed really weak to me.

Fourth episode was pretty good. 2 really good tasks and I thought the studio task was fun. Jeremy was definitely better in it too.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Not gonna lie, the assassination of Caesar had me in stitches for the whole time.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
I think the first episode of NZs4 was the strongest so far. Ray and Paul and Karen and even sometimes Dai are stepping on each others deadpan routines and I think they just got the balance wrong this season.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

I think I recall in the Guy Mont Spelling Bee that it was the first panel show for some of this season's contestants, maybe that's why the studio segments are feeling a bit empty? I just put on a random season 3 episode and the prize task is much more lively.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Phigs posted:

Third episode seemed really weak to me.

Fourth episode was pretty good. 2 really good tasks and I thought the studio task was fun. Jeremy was definitely better in it too.

3 was incredibly weak. Not only do creative tasks seem boring to me, they also feel overly long.

Are they doing covid precaution type audiences? Its very dead.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Okay Bubbah thinking she'd tricked him by using the bike but Paul turning out to be a running robot was incredible

And the live task was amazing Jeremy having to go hide with everyone else from the double eyepatched ray

Boxturret fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Aug 23, 2023

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
tmnz def has too many skits... i think a lot of the writers are improv types

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
A very Paul-centric episode, and probably the best one so far. Bubbah's made a huge mistake first boosting Paul's confidence and then betting against him.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

There's something off about this season but I can't put my finger on it. It's not the contestants, it's not the tasks (although they haven't been amazing IMO), Paul's great, Jeremy's poo poo but he always has been. I dunno, maybe it is the editing somehow.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
It definitely feels way more rushed than previous seasons, finding even an extra minute or two to spread out among the studio sections to give them room to breathe would go a good way I think.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Coming to the question about audience energy from the live show. There was a small amount of studio banter that Jeremy gives that doesnt make the cut, he is fairly straight lane focused on getting through the show I felt.. There was a fair bit from Dai, Ray, and Mel that didn't make the cut though.

The energy in the studio FELT high, prompting a few interactions particularly from Dai that didn't make it through, but yea on watching back I see what people mean. Must have been some editing decisions.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Somehow I don't think I've ever seen this rejected task video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuTYiHUCbKQ

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

TMNZ is now available on Channel 4 catchup. I've ready watched them but I'll probably rewatch to show there's interest in the other series.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Pablo Bluth posted:

TMNZ is now available on Channel 4 catchup. I've ready watched them but I'll probably rewatch to show there's interest in the other series.

Yes, I've launched into a rewatch, seems if anything Jeremy slightly is more prominent in the first episode than he ends up these day. The TM Podcast just finished the UK episodes, so hoping they can start covering these now. It gives them more than enough enough material to cover the downtime in the coming year around S16, S17 and the NYT (and maybe CoC III).

Plus we have a new S4 episode! The midpoint scoreboard might be the closest run thing that Taskmaster has seen in a long time. Task three gets in on the marriage action at once. Not being allowed to marry Paul is vital here, otherwise you'd get five very similar attempts. In practice we span the whole range: the genuinely touching performance from Mel, absolute garbage from Ray, and a harshly underscored attempt from Mel.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Heavy_D posted:

Yes, I've launched into a rewatch, seems if anything Jeremy slightly is more prominent in the first episode than he ends up these day. The TM Podcast just finished the UK episodes, so hoping they can start covering these now. It gives them more than enough enough material to cover the downtime in the coming year around S16, S17 and the NYT (and maybe CoC III).

Plus we have a new S4 episode! The midpoint scoreboard might be the closest run thing that Taskmaster has seen in a long time. Task three gets in on the marriage action at once. Not being allowed to marry Paul is vital here, otherwise you'd get five very similar attempts. In practice we span the whole range: the genuinely touching performance from Mel, absolute garbage from Ray, and a harshly underscored attempt from Mel.
The pedantic scoring of Mel's marriage-free wedding was perfectly good taskmastering.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Heavy_D posted:

Seems like they're just pausing the podcast whenever a UK one isn't on so far, they finished Series 9 a month ago and Ed said there wouldn't be another one for awhile if I recall correctly. Makes sense since Channel 4 are paying for it and they won't see any return on promoting the New Zealand one.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

If anything the reason is probably not to step on any future NZ toes if they end up making their own podcast.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Still laughing thinking about the little jig Ray was doing as Dai, he really did disappear into the role.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 28, 2023

life of lemons
Sep 7, 2005

I steal stuff all the time.

Paladinus posted:

Still laughing thinking about the little gig Ray was doing as Dai, he really did disappear into the role.

Absolutely outrageous how much of Ray's look is apparently stored in the hair

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
That and the specs. A real-life Clark Kent transformation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!
It doesn't normally bother me that Jeremy is just kinda there, but that balloon task really made me wish I could have seen Greg's reaction to Ray's attempt at the balloon task.

Karen becoming Ray was glorious. Excellent bit of improv humour from her.