Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Rosalind posted:

Any study of inmates is inherently coercive and no study of inmates can be ethical as a result. Data collected unethically are suspect for a myriad of reasons and therefore I do not trust any study conducted with an incarcerated population.

This is the correct take on the subject, thanks for putting it succinctly. I wouldn't recommend anyone to be further ruminating about how data collected as a result of the horrible poo poo that goes on in the prison industrial complex can be put to good use anyways or anything like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Doctor trip report: Kidzwang's pediatrician wears an N95 and their staff is all masked. My mom's oncologist and his staff are showing their smiles. Same health system.

Also, evidently the CDC is advocating a change in their PCR primer sets due to mutations in BA 2.86. Not sure how this is impacting surveillance at the moment.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

speng31b posted:

This is the correct take on the subject, thanks for putting it succinctly. I wouldn't recommend anyone to be further ruminating about how data collected as a result of the horrible poo poo that goes on in the prison industrial complex can be put to good use anyways or anything like that.

Pre-cited exhibits for trials for crimes against humanity!

:getin:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

mycrimes.tex
mycrimes.dvi
mycrimes.fd
mycrimes.bst
mycrimes.bbl
mycrimes.aux
mycrimes.blg
mycrimes.brf
mycrimes.cls
mycrimes.dtx

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

dbo.MyCrimes

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
mycrimes.sqlite3
mycrimes.psql

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
a large language model trained exclusively on my crimes and given a personality test

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Buffer posted:

a large language model trained exclusively on my crimes and given a personality test

CrimesGPT

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

crimes_my.final.v2.final_final-dr-f-0.2.tar.zip_FINAL.zip

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
"write a script that installs a myCrimes crime stack"

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Zugzwang posted:

Also, evidently the CDC is advocating a change in their PCR primer sets due to mutations in BA 2.86. Not sure how this is impacting surveillance at the moment.

sounds expensive! what if instead we did nothing?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Annals of American Scientists Telling on Themselves Society

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
humanexperimentation.123

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Gunshow Poophole posted:

sounds expensive! what if instead we did nothing?
"We are happy to report that despite the emergence of BA 2.86, wastewater levels have not spiked as high as were expected, and individuals now show reduced viral loads when compared to previous variants."

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

By the way Rosalind here's a firm handshake for having the intestinal fortitude to pull your own work from publication instead of just shrugging and receiving all the high fives for your comparative study of human centipede social dynamics in the american prison system or whatever it was

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

You're a good egg.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Buffer posted:

It doesn't actually seem to have impacted availability at all - nor do you know the situation / medical history - but I appreciate the moralizing party gal. You have a lot of room to get up on a high horse here.

Lib and let die posted:

I believe Poppers should be on ignore, friend.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

StratGoatCom posted:

You're a good egg.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

StratGoatCom posted:

You're a good egg.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
The united States political and penal systems are crimes against humanity, that's like one of the founding assumptions of this thread.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Strep Vote posted:

The united States political and penal systems are crimes against humanity, that's like one of the founding assumptions of this thread.

slavery is legal if the enslaved person was convicted of a crime

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Rosalind posted:

This is definitely my most radical opinion but here it goes. Having worked in correctional health for a year at the world's largest penal colony conducting research and therefore witnessed uncountable cruelties, every jail should be burnt to the ground and our entire criminal justice system should have to be restarted from scratch because there is absolutely nothing worth saving.

Any study of inmates is inherently coercive and no study of inmates can be ethical as a result. Data collected unethically are suspect for a myriad of reasons and therefore I do not trust any study conducted with an incarcerated population. I had to fight to not get my own work published because I didn't believe in it.

:hai:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

bedpan posted:

slavery is legal if the enslaved person was convicted of a crime

Also it's fine to own slaves as long as they're physically located outside the geographical boundaries of the united states

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

8-1 SCOTUS decision just affirmed that one like two months ago

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

8-1 SCOTUS decision just affirmed that one like two months ago

lmao I remember listening to some of the oral arguments on this one

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

bedpan posted:

lmao I remember listening to some of the oral arguments on this one

which case was it where the Justice was working from home and took a huge poo poo off mute during oral arguments

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

fosborb posted:

which case was it where the Justice was working from home and took a huge poo poo off mute during oral arguments

there was in-depth reporting on this which revealed another case where you could here a justice take a dump

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Ashley Feinberg is a national treasure

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/05/toilet-flush-supreme-court-livestream.html

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

supreme court justices doing gradeschool level crank call pranks

:george:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

never did wear the hat

wear the hat, Ashley. It's real.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Pingui posted:

It is a natural experiment. The researchers looked at data available, but did not create the data and the only reason that data was collected in the first place, appears to be the Connecticut ACLU making a ruckus:

This makes it sound like the researchers were "just" making what use of unethical data they could, but looking at the press release for the paper which provides a lot more context, they're making considerably more dubious choices than that:

quote:

The study was performed within the Connecticut Department of Correction system to understand whether the immunity gained after vaccination or a prior infection was less effective or “leaky” in situations where people are exposed to high levels of the virus, said Margaret Lind, lead author of the paper and an associate research scientist at Yale School of Public Health.

Answering this question during the pandemic has been a major challenge because “it’s really hard to find a population, such as the residents of the Connecticut Department of Correction, where we know the type of exposure somebody has and we know their vaccination and prior infection status,” Lind said.

Dr. Byron Kennedy, chief medical officer for the Connecticut Department of Correction and associate clinical professor at the Yale School of Public Health, added, “We had a unique opportunity to answer this question because the Department of Correction had mounted an intensive COVID-19 testing program and we were identifying and isolating infected individuals.”

The researchers tracked infections among 15,444 residents of Connecticut correctional facilities between June 2021 and May 2022, when the state experienced two epidemic waves due to the emergence of the COVID-19 Delta and Omicron variants. They also determined which people had resided with a COVID-19-positive cellmate and, as a result, had high exposure to the COVID-19 virus.

The study found that during the Delta and Omicron epidemic waves, immunity acquired after a vaccination, prior infection, and both vaccination and infection (“hybrid immunity”) was weaker when residents were residing with an infected inmate.

The study's findings underscore the importance of the state of Connecticut’s efforts to protect its incarcerated population during the pandemic. During the two epidemic waves, residents had a 5 to 10 times increased risk of being infected when they shared a cell with an infected individual and a two to four times increased risk of being infected if there was an infected individual in the same cell block. The majority of infections were detected by the Department of Correction’s contact tracing program, which rapidly identified and tested contacts of infected individuals in cells and cell blocks. “The success of contact tracing was a critical element in keeping our population safe in this high-risk congregate setting during the pandemic,” said Kennedy.

Biology Professor Derek Cummings, a co-senior author of the paper and associate director of the Emerging Pathogens Institute at the University of Florida, added: “More studies are needed to understand whether the same phenomenon of leaky protection may be occurring among vaccinated and previously infected people in the other congregate settings, such as hospitals and nursing homes, and in the community during mass gatherings.”

“We suspect that leaky protection may be the norm for immunity to many infectious diseases of public health importance,” said Dr. Albert Ko, the Raj and Indra Nooyi Professor of Public Health at the Yale School of Public Health and co-senior author of the paper. “This study is a good example of leveraging collaboration between state government and a university to answer a difficult yet fundamental question on how immunity to COVID-19 works, in addition to guiding how we protect our vulnerable populations,” added Ko, who was also co-chair of Governor Ned Lamont’s Reopen Connecticut Advisory Group during the height of the COVID-19 epidemic.

Personally I would have done those other studies in non-carceral settings first and not patted the Connecticut Department of Corrections on the back for a job well done with the contact tracing that, as far as I can tell, did not actually prevent infections in any way.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

eXXon posted:

This makes it sound like the researchers were "just" making what use of unethical data they could, but looking at the press release for the paper which provides a lot more context, they're making considerably more dubious choices than that:

Personally I would have done those other studies in non-carceral settings first and not patted the Connecticut Department of Corrections on the back for a job well done.

not surprising but also yeeeeikes

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

eXXon posted:

Personally I would have done those other studies in non-carceral settings first and not patted the Connecticut Department of Corrections on the back for a job well done with the contact tracing that, as far as I can tell, did not actually prevent infections in any way.

Yikaroo, yeah, I'd keep that study in my pocket to use for lawsuits (not to mention research from it could be used for said lawsuits) later, but I would also absolutely vote to throw the book at those shits on ethics grounds

StratGoatCom has issued a correction as of 18:22 on Aug 28, 2023

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

eXXon posted:

Yeah, that's a yikes from me.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

quote:

Dr. Byron Kennedy, chief medical officer for the Connecticut Department of Correction and associate clinical professor at the Yale School of Public Health

:discourse:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Super weird how someone who holds a C-level title at an American prison system might not value human life

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
It sure would nice if our universities could stop perpetuating crimes against humanity.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Why Am I So Tired posted:

It sure would nice if our universities could stop perpetuating crimes against humanity.

Something said by every not hellcrimes doer academic ever at this rate.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

StratGoatCom posted:

Something said by every not hellcrimes doer academic ever at this rate.

I think the most common reaction I would expect to that story from Americans would be something to the effect of, "Why are they getting medical care??? Do the crime do the time"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
a visiting nurse just showed up to my house to change a family member's bandage. he was wearing a secureclick. which one of you was it?