Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favourite Kirby Super Star power?
This poll is closed.
Beam 3 1.79%
Bomb 3 1.79%
Cook 1 0.60%
Copy 3 1.79%
Crash 1 0.60%
Cutter 5 2.98%
Fighter 5 2.98%
Fire 3 1.79%
Hammer 13 7.74%
Ice 3 1.79%
Jet 3 1.79%
Mike (sic) 14 8.33%
Mirror 11 6.55%
Ninja 5 2.98%
Paint 0 0%
Parasol 2 1.19%
Plasma 4 2.38%
Sleep 9 5.36%
Starship 5 2.98%
Stone 6 3.57%
Suplex 22 13.10%
Sword 20 11.90%
Wheel 6 3.57%
Wing 6 3.57%
Yo-Yo 15 8.93%
Total: 168 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

goatface posted:

Peanuts adult noises unless you're talking within your main character party.

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Morpheus posted:

Also kinda dumb how you can't explore a whole planet - you can pick a place to land, and the area around the landing spot gets auto-genned, but you can't leave that area unless you launch from your ship then pick a different area to land in.
That seems fine to me. Complaining that you can't circumnavigate an entire planet on foot seems like just fishing for something to criticize.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yet another outer wilds w

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

This is driving me insane trying to find information, because any 'steam' and 'controller' in the same search only gets you steam controller poo poo, but HOW do I find community controller profiles now? That was literally the only thing that made some wonky ports playable for me and I cannot find it anymore, not in big picture, not desktop.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Volte posted:

That seems fine to me. Complaining that you can't circumnavigate an entire planet on foot seems like just fishing for something to criticize.

It's less not being able to circumnavigate the whole planet (obviously other games have done it, but it has the ability to make the planet feel small) but the procgen area concept feels...not quite lazy, but just as small. Makes things feel pointless. Not being able to leave the area is constraining, and if every area you point at is just randomly generated, then what's the point of any of it. If you could circumvent a whole planet, then at least that planet exists as a whole - now it doesn't exist as a planet, just a few patches of random content.

Yardbomb posted:

This is driving me insane trying to find information, because any 'steam' and 'controller' in the same search only gets you steam controller poo poo, but HOW do I find community controller profiles now? That was literally the only thing that made some wonky ports playable for me and I cannot find it anymore, not in big picture, not desktop.

Does this help? I looked up steam controller configs.

https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/features/steam_controller/browse_configs

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

honestly if you're excited for starfield i dont think the guards acting exactly like the guards in Oblivion and Skyrim is a negative
i was honestly pumping my fist when he ran up

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Morpheus posted:

It's less not being able to circumnavigate the whole planet (obviously other games have done it, but it has the ability to make the planet feel small) but the procgen area concept feels...not quite lazy, but just as small. Makes things feel pointless. Not being able to leave the area is constraining, and if every area you point at is just randomly generated, then what's the point of any of it. If you could circumvent a whole planet, then at least that planet exists as a whole - now it doesn't exist as a planet, just a few patches of random content.

Does this help? I looked up steam controller configs.

https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/features/steam_controller/browse_configs

I ended up finally finding it, but it looks like they may have gutted it or something since I last looked, steam why.

Christ I finally found it out.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 28, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

The trouble with bj-style "buh buh buh" is the text speed

If it at least matched the rhythm and plopped out in a funny way as they spoke it might be okay but yeah way too slow and normal the way it's implemented now. When they get around the BK Redux i'm sure they'll fix it.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Sea of Stars getting very good reviews:

https://opencritic.com/game/15003/sea-of-stars/reviews

I have some childhood/adolescent nostalgia for JRPGs, but it seems like Sabotage has made a conscious effort to avoid or at least mitigate most of the things that tend to turn me off from the genre as an adult (grinding, completely menu-driven turn-based battles. lack of gameplay outside combat, etc), so hopefully it clicks for me.

it's also launching simultaneously on Game Pass and PS+ Extra (I believe it's the first game to do so)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

mass effect andromeda is worse for having taken out the insane facial animation

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The 7th Guest posted:

mass effect andromeda is worse for having taken out the tired facial animation

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Geordie laForge gesturing to take it away: Banjo-Kazooie speech
Geordie laForge pointing enthusiastically: Animal Crossing speech

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

by the time i played MEA it felt like they just took all the sliders and cranked them all the way down to 10%, like the opposite of those youtube videos that do 500% facial animation

so like, it's less ridiculous looking but it's also way more boring

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Feels Villeneuve posted:

You violated the law. Pay the court a fine, or serve your sentence. Your stolen goods are now forfeit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuFdCPcO3Eo

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Morpheus posted:

"buh buh buh boh buh bih" *press the skip text button* "bibudidbubidodobibodibidi"

hell yeah

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Barry Convex posted:

I have some childhood/adolescent nostalgia for JRPGs, but it seems like Sabotage has made a conscious effort to avoid or at least mitigate most of the things that tend to turn me off from the genre as an adult (grinding, completely menu-driven turn-based battles. lack of gameplay outside combat, etc), so hopefully it clicks for me.

it's also launching simultaneously on Game Pass and PS+ Extra (I believe it's the first game to do so)

Yeah it definitely feels aimed at people who haven't played a JRPG since 1994

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

jrpgs for and by people that haven't played a jrpg in 20 years is a weirdly big market tbh. just like westerners finally making a "Good VN" every couple of years

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

GodIsAGeek gives it 10/10. But why aren't they included in that Open Critic roundup? Weird??

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

they're agnostic

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

exquisite tea posted:

I thought the awkward zoom-in on potato-faced NPC thing was some kind of engine limitation but apparently it's an actual aesthetic choice.

It’s weird that it’s making a return because neither Skyrim or Fallout 4 used it.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Is Satan a geek too?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Jay Rust posted:

GodIsAGeek gives it 10/10. But why aren't they included in that Open Critic roundup? Weird??

It's bull poo poo and frankly gaslighting

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

homeless snail posted:

jrpgs for and by people that haven't played a jrpg in 20 years is a weirdly big market tbh. just like westerners finally making a "Good VN" every couple of years

In 2043 we'll have jrpgs for people who haven't played jrpgs since that jrpg for people who haven't played jrpgs in 20 years

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Barry Convex posted:

the game looks solid but most jrpgs haven't required grinding since like, the NES days!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I had to grind in Live a Live (2022) !!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I haven't needed to grind in Octopath 2 which was the most classic JRPG I played this year but my A team is overlevelled just from how much random side content I did on it.

Speaking of OT2, starting to think my GOTY top 3 is looking like:

1. AC6
2. FF16
3. OT2

then Hi-Fi Rush and Ghost Trick Remaster to round out the top 5. 5-10 is still way in flux.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Grandma 2 is an old RPG I wish I had played at the time but don't think I could muscle through today. My friend had it at a sleepover and I stayed up late helping him grind to beat some boss. He didn't need to grind, he wanted to just to pull off some chain of moves to dunk on him and I was happy to just mess around fighting random poo poo for a bit.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

grandma 2. she's back

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
In my experience most people who find themselves having to grind a RPG are people who just weren't interested enough/enjoying the nominal gameplay loop that most of these games use and wind up underleveled or unprepared in a way that that makes whatever roadblock harder than they really ought to be. The only game I can think of in maybe the last 20 years that I'd say actually qualified is Yakuza LAD of all things because they literally hit you with a giant difficulty spike right after introducing an arena explicitly set up to grind up some levels.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also theres grindy-rear end games where grinding is kind of like, the appeal for people, like Disgaea, and Pokemon to an extent

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
grinding is a skill issue

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Grindy or not, all rpgs should have a 4x turbo button

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Grandia 2 not grandma 2

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I didn't need to grind in tales of berserk. But I did forget that there was a dodge/parry button and when I got to a boss fight that needed it I had to go ask someone for advice. A+ game I'll probably finish it someday

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

hmm no I'm pretty sure it's grandma 2

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

hatty posted:

Have you considered that grinding makes number go up!?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

also theres grindy-rear end games where grinding is kind of like, the appeal for people, like Disgaea, and Pokemon to an extent

heck even with something like disgaea that grindiness is limited to the postgame content that is meant for people that wanna put a million hours into it (unless they do the tricks to speed past the grinding)

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the grinding in disgaea is interesting, also, because there's a lot of skill in grinding as efficiently as you can

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

hatty posted:

I don't even understand the issue Sonic does it pretty much automatically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
true grind heads are playing bomb rush cyberfunk