Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
so if the NHI are interdimensional beings does that automatically make them time travelers? kinda like that Matthew McConaughey character in that sci-fi movie Dazed and Confused

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

neutral milf hotel posted:

so if the NHI are interdimensional beings does that automatically make them time travelers? kinda like that Matthew McConaughey character in that sci-fi movie Dazed and Confused

It depends how you're using those terms, I guess, but yes.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

that’s what I love about these humans man, I keep getting more advanced and they stay the same

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

SKULL.GIF posted:

I dunno who this lady is but I think she's come up in the thread before:

https://twitter.com/cosmicfibretion/status/1695876302610354176

iirc she’s the one who purports to have come up with a discrete multiversal cosmology with verifiable predictions beyond using it as a tool for mathturbation

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Why don't you make like aitee

And get outta here

Human.Frank
Jun 2, 2022

SKULL.GIF posted:

To me it sounds like the Demon and Time Travelers sides are in the same faction, so... two factions

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

If it's time travelers the grandfather paradox is clearly bunk and they need to give us their technology

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

well we're certainly not angels
the ancient texts claim some large bois were half angel but god fixed that situation right quick

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Hmm... you couldn't time travel into your "own" past cause there's no such thing. That's the "resolution" - otherwise, it would hold. But "timelines" don't really exist. We imagine the past as fixed and crystallized, contra the in-flux and indetermined future, but neither are fixed/concretized.

You could travel to a past that is remarkably similar to the ideas you have about "your past." Imperceptibly, it would be different, it would not be the reality you had occupied previously. It could NOT be because, as the philosophers say, you can't step in the same river twice.

Ergo, you can go hog wild. You can even meet whatever version of yourself exists in that reality- presuming you didn't just click your consciousness over into that reality to exist as that version of yourself. It wouldn't make a difference cause you're not in your past; you're in a reality that remarkably resembles your past.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

You know, there may be some remnants of UFO sightings in world religions, but it's really not necessary for every supernatural belief to turn out to be true.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

coward motherfuckers afraid to fight demons

LtDan
May 1, 2004

aitee in the streets, demon in the sheets

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

LtDan posted:

aitee in the streets, demon in the sheets

take me to your breeder

Human.Frank
Jun 2, 2022

i am harry posted:

the armor of god is too heavy to fly with so they need more funding for better jets

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

told yall

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i am harry posted:

psh so much faith until it’s time for them to actually put up

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

i guess i would think that demons would do something other than float around and occasionally rotate but i suppose I'm not a demonologist

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

yes, satan, my lord, we made a pilot a little nervous for a few minutes! your will has been carried out!

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Hmm... you couldn't time travel into your "own" past cause there's no such thing. That's the "resolution" - otherwise, it would hold. But "timelines" don't really exist. We imagine the past as fixed and crystallized, contra the in-flux and indetermined future, but neither are fixed/concretized.

You could travel to a past that is remarkably similar to the ideas you have about "your past." Imperceptibly, it would be different, it would not be the reality you had occupied previously. It could NOT be because, as the philosophers say, you can't step in the same river twice.

Ergo, you can go hog wild. You can even meet whatever version of yourself exists in that reality- presuming you didn't just click your consciousness over into that reality to exist as that version of yourself. It wouldn't make a difference cause you're not in your past; you're in a reality that remarkably resembles your past.

that's right. feel free to travel back in time all you want, but be aware it's a one-way ticket and you will never be seen again in this reality. the changes you're making are to a totally distinct branch that was created at the moment you re-entered time. you can go back further to try and "return" to the "correct" timeline, but you'll already have created another additional branch with infinitely many differences from both the realities which you had already occupied simply due to you traveling there, which spread out from that point in space at the speed of light.

"you can't step in the same river twice" is a very good adage for this concept, actually

i really hate basically every fictional portrayal of time travel. except maybe primer, but it's been like 15 years since i watched that

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Hooplah posted:

that's right. feel free to travel back in time all you want, but be aware it's a one-way ticket and you will never be seen again in this reality. the changes you're making are to a totally distinct branch that was created at the moment you re-entered time. you can go back further to try and "return" to the "correct" timeline, but you'll already have created another additional branch with infinitely many differences from both the realities which you had already occupied simply due to you traveling there, which spread out from that point in space at the speed of light.

"you can't step in the same river twice" is a very good adage for this concept, actually

i really hate basically every fictional portrayal of time travel. except maybe primer, but it's been like 15 years since i watched that

primer was excellent!

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Dogthing
May 30, 2003

or is it.... just a dog??
Grimey Drawer

Hatebag posted:

i guess i would think that demons would do something other than float around and occasionally rotate but i suppose I'm not a demonologist

how utterly embarassing would this reality be if all the variously-shaped blinking metallic objects people see in the sky are all actual arabian style genies, actual christian style demons, AND actual irish style fairies all cooperating in a combined effort to just kinda weird us out a little

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Dogthing posted:

how utterly embarassing would this reality be if all the variously-shaped blinking metallic objects people see in the sky are all actual arabian style genies, actual christian style demons, AND actual irish style fairies all cooperating in a combined effort to just kinda weird us out a little

irish style fairies subsisted on pancakes according to contemporary writing

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Dogthing posted:

im fine with this

bedpan posted:

hmm my pancake game is on point, wonder if i can swap for some delicious gold

wiki posted:

According to David Russell McAnally the leprechaun is [...] a "degenerate fairy"

oh maybe i'm just a leprechaun

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Dogthing posted:

Laughing at hard at this... it's funny cause it's true (in a sense)!

Dogthing
May 30, 2003

or is it.... just a dog??
Grimey Drawer
i personally will be blowing the genies and fairies out of the sky with a frickin bazooka i can tell you that much

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

If I was confronted by aliens while doing a DUI in emotional turmoil I would ask better questions amd explain things better. No disrespect to Maximus but I'm built different

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

mediaphage posted:

im fine with this

I have bad news regarding how that part of the world makes a pancake

I'm assuming you're an American and enjoy the superior American pancake

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Dogthing posted:

David Brin wrote a short story about alien and ufo sightings being literal Fae. The POV switches between a radio show and the faeries.
https://www.davidbrin.com/fiction/thoseeyes.html

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Dogthing posted:

unidentified fae objects

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

what would be really fun would be circling all the way around and getting proof that the orbs and goofy humanoids are also in some way our own mental faculties and emotions

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

bedpan posted:

any lore on how they feel about kimchijeon?

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

that slavic fairy that is clearly a metaphor for heat stroke? sure it's a metaphor, it's also literally real

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

I have bad news regarding how that part of the world makes a pancake

I'm assuming you're an American and enjoy the superior American pancake

*googles*

oh dear

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Hatebag posted:

unidentified fae objects

theyre crashing because of our iron in everything

Aragosta
May 12, 2001

hiding in plain sight
IHOP

Interdimensional Hovering Orb Pancakes

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Hooplah posted:

that's how it worked in back to the future (except for marty starting to disappear for a few minutes)

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Hatebag posted:

Consider The Adversary as a faction in a sectarian conflict, now remove one side of that conflict for a couple of thousand years and think about what you'd get at the end

If we were put here, or if our evolution was guided by outside forces, it stands to reason that some attempt would be made to program existing cultural conflicts into our consciousness

Demons could be real and also horribly misrepresented by popular fiction

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

mediaphage posted:

im fine with this

McAnally lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004