Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Xenoblade 3 Future Redeemed: Aww, why the hell wasn't the map this convenient in the base-game? It tells you how much poo poo there is to find in every zone, and there's a cool progression-system on top. It's 95% the same, but that 5% change in UI makes everything better. The map of the Cadensia sea was fairly useless and ugly until you found every point of interest hours after the fact.

I'm not sure about the leading-man sounding like the blackest white guy.

Xenoblade DLC keeps its winning streak, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Xenoblade 3 Future Redeemed: Aww, why the hell wasn't the map this convenient in the base-game? It tells you how much poo poo there is to find in every zone, and there's a cool progression-system on top. It's 95% the same, but that 5% change in UI makes everything better. The map of the Cadensia sea was fairly useless and ugly until you found every point of interest hours after the fact.

I'm not sure about the leading-man sounding like the blackest white guy.

He just sounds like an East Londoner to me.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

My knowledge of England begins and ends with Brass Eye. He could be speaking swear-hili.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I quite like big sprawling cities in RPGs, but not when they're introduced in the final act. They need to be their own character that is fleshed out over the course of the game, changing (even slightly) with the plot and with its own developments.

Like, I liked the titular Baldur's Gate in the first BG, but only on subsequence playthroughs, as it comes really late in the game and is kind of exhausting to traverse.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
swear-hili

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
making my armored core post in here because armored core has been discussed in here at times to say, great game and the first time an armored core has gone above having some story ideas i think are cool and explored in pretty interesting ways, to just being a genuinely great story that nails down every cool idea the series has ever had but not executed to the best it could be done

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
This is the first time I'n my life I've played an AC game with no frame rate issues whatsoever and it's amazing.

I really liked For Answer when it came out but AC6 feels they finally got a chance to make a game without being dragged down by hardware.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i remember someone saying the "you dont need to grind thing" was wrong and it turns out the game they were playing was Dragon Quest 2

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i remember someone saying the "you dont need to grind thing" was wrong and it turns out the game they were playing was Dragon Quest 2
frankly ive played dq2 and you dont really need to grind outside of 1 difficulty spike

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I really like the concept of Armored Core games but I've never played any of them, is there any reason I couldn't/shouldn't just jump in with AC6?

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Only if you really want to play the others and don't want to go backwards in control schemes. AC6 is a perfectly fine entry point.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

I really like the concept of Armored Core games but I've never played any of them, is there any reason I couldn't/shouldn't just jump in with AC6?
nope, go ahead and play it. a couple of the early bosses are a bit difficult spike-y but thats true of most ac games

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So now that the embargo is up:

Sea of Stars is a very charming and straightforward RPG. It feels very old school in a fairly natural way and does a good job of capturing a fairly straightforward adventure story. The biggest downside is that the villains are paper thin and there are a few moments (one in specific) where the game ties into The Messenger in a way that just kinda drags you out of the story.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

How does AC6 perform on a PS4?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

How does AC6 perform on a PS4?
if you mean base ps4 its locked to 30 fps but its a steady 30 fps with no drops

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Sea of Stars is a very charming and straightforward RPG. It feels very old school in a fairly natural way and does a good job of capturing a fairly straightforward adventure story. The biggest downside is that the villains are paper thin and there are a few moments (one in specific) where the game ties into The Messenger in a way that just kinda drags you out of the story.

Asking this genuinely and not as like..an own but how many jordan peterson quotes are in it this time lol.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

MockingQuantum posted:

Nah. There's really only been MAYBE one particularly good jumping in point to AC previously, and that's AC3 back on the PS2, and that's still debatable. Even if there's some weirdness that stops AC6 from being a good intro to the series (and there's a decent chance the Giant Bosses might be it, holy poo poo every single one I've faced so far have been awful) it's not like I can say 'hey go play AC4 to earn your wings there' unless I want to cackle mercilessly at the thought of you running into it's difficulty pillars at full speed in what is normally a very easy game. AC just historically has been a difficult series to break into from the outside.

Basically, every entry still has it's rough patches and general user unfriendliness kinda baked in, and I'd just go ahead and play 6 of that's what you want.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Asking this genuinely and not as like..an own but how many jordan peterson quotes are in it this time lol.

None. Zip. Zilch.

The plot is literally about how helping others and supporting one another is the most important thing in the world and it's more important to be kind than to be powerful.

If there's anything untoward in it then it's really well hidden because the bulk of the game is extremely straightforward about helping people and it paints anyone who rejects helping others to benefit themselves as bad people.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
that sounds lame, rpg plots should be about being gay and shouting your move names

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Snooze Cruise posted:

that sounds lame, rpg plots should be about being gay and shouting your move names

*nods*

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ImpAtom posted:

If you've never played The Messenger and are only aware of its existence, will these moments still be an issue or just kind of weird plot points that don't land?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

if you mean base ps4 its locked to 30 fps but its a steady 30 fps with no drops

Base PS4 yeah and locked 30 fps is fine by me. Thank you!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Levantine posted:

If you've never played The Messenger and are only aware of its existence, will these moments still be an issue or just kind of weird plot points that don't land?

There is one particular thing I can think of which is that a major antagonist basically vanishes entirely from the plot in a way that makes zero sense if you haven't played The Messenger.

95% of it is basically self-contained which makes that other 5% weird.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tbh the bosses in armored core 6 are mostly not that bad unless you get really stubborn about your ac build, balteus-type bosses are the hardest ones and still have a hard counter to their most annoying mechanic as long as you equip energy guns. armored core 6 makes it really easy to get new ac parts and if you ever have a ton of trouble with one bit odds are you can throw something together to hard counter it. it's one of the most intuitive games in the series and a pretty good one to start with.

the older games are very good too but if you're playing 1-3 you'll need to either acclimate to a weirder control scheme or remap aiming to the face buttons and need to learn stuff like bunnyhopping if you want to do lighter ac builds, and nexus through to for answer are kinda jankier more experimental versions of what ac6 is doing. cool games though, basically no game in the series i wouldn't recommend if you want more of what 6 puts down, 6 is just the easiest one to get into

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 28, 2023

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
really really do want to emphasize though, armored core is not a "build" game, you're not locking yourself into any major choices about how you play. so make a bunch of different acs and see how they work in different contexts. if you do that you'll basically never encounter a hard difficulty wall, 6 has the least of that in the entire series, previous games had infinitely weirder and less intuitive ones. the massive mt bosses in armored core 3 stand out to me as much worse examples than any boss fight in 6

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Base PS4 yeah and locked 30 fps is fine by me. Thank you!

Juat so you know its not locked by any means. There will be frame rate drops below 30 especially with lots of explosions happening. Dont let that stop you though

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
what build do I need to occupy arteria carpals… I tried everything…!

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Picked Monster Sanctuary back up and started a Bravery Randomized run and it's been a lot of fun. I really like the party I have so far and they're not monsters I used before in a previous playthrough.

It really is a great game. So much more interesting than pokemon and I'm looking forward to how they improve on it with the second game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

If there's anything untoward in it then it's really well hidden because the bulk of the game is extremely straightforward about helping people and it paints anyone who rejects helping others to benefit themselves as bad people.
drat, you mean like how trans people reject being part of normal society to gently caress up their gender... #based

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

None. Zip. Zilch.

The plot is literally about how helping others and supporting one another is the most important thing in the world and it's more important to be kind than to be powerful.

That's good. I'm not particularly interested in the game but a bunch of my friends were until they saw it was the messenger guy so this probably will put their minds at ease.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

WaltherFeng posted:

Juat so you know its not locked by any means. There will be frame rate drops below 30 especially with lots of explosions happening. Dont let that stop you though

I'm glad we're back to frame rate drops means something cool is happening.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Endorph posted:

drat, you mean like how trans people reject being part of normal society to gently caress up their gender... #based

context please

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Endorph posted:

huh?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i believe it is what the ancient tablets call a "joke"

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
it's very funny that ps2 launch game armored core 2 didn't even let you use the analogue stick for movement. at least another age fixed that. then it took until...nexus? for right stick camera? that wasn't quite as bad as still using the d-pad for movement though

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
How tactical is the Lock system when compared to Persona or SMT press turns or the break system in Octopath when it comes to enemy weakness systems?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Junpei posted:

How tactical is the Lock system when compared to Persona or SMT press turns or the break system in Octopath when it comes to enemy weakness systems?

It's pretty comparable to the Octopath break system except you do it more regularly. Most enemy attacks have a Lock and so your general goal is to break as many locks as possible a turn or focus on breaking one specific set of locks and take the damage from the others. It's reasonably fun though you're basically going to be using one move per character a lot of the time because basically anything that can multi-hit is going to be better. (The game tries to claim that timed hits are a 'nice bonus' but that is a huge lie since timed hits can break two locks instead of one.)

That said alter in the game The character (and combo with that character) that can inflict delay utterly shatter the game's difficulty because nothing resists Delay so as long as you can keep them in MP enemies don't get to have actions.

But yeah a major thing about the game is that it has pretty small amounts of customization. Outside of combos being missable (but you can always go back) you're always going to have the tools you need for any given situation and it's pretty much always going to be the exact same thing. There's not really much in the way of status effects or anything and buffs are rarely worth using compared to breaking a lock, especially because MP is very tight. (Endgame you'll have maybe 20-25MP and most spells cost around 6-10.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 29, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

context please

im joking about the idea of a guy who inserted jordan peterson quotes into his game randomly being a good guy now just because his game espouses generic 'good' messages

entirely possible he actually is no longer a peterson bro i have no idea but its funny to act like 'well if he was still like that clearly the gamed be about how much he hates everyone'

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

im joking about the idea of a guy who inserted jordan peterson quotes into his game randomly being a good guy now just because his game espouses generic 'good' messages

entirely possible he actually is no longer a peterson bro i have no idea but its funny to act like 'well if he was still like that clearly the gamed be about how much he hates everyone'

Literally nobody said he was a good guy now, just that the game doesn't contain that.

Edit: Like seriously that came out of nowhere and seemed entirely designed to try to make me feel like poo poo for answering a question honestly.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Aug 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

If it helps any the dev has talked about that Peterson bit on Discord.

Sounds like he intended for it to be sarcastic, it fell flat, and in retrospect would make that story much harsher than it is.