Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019
Does the V11 updated version of PF2e remove all the remaster-removed aspects then? Spell schools, alignment ect.

I've got a runelord in one of my parties and I'd rather their archetype not become 100% more frustrating to use as a result of me updating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

It's taken a while but my players (who are all newbies to Pathfinder and mostly newbies to rpgs in general) are starting to get the hang of mechanics that aren't "move, attack, roll when asked to". They're now routinely finding creative ways to aid each other, using positioning and conditions to maximise hits and damage, and otherwise working out the exploits that are necessary for a crunchy and tactical game. We had a "severe" rated combat in last night's session that in session 1 would have decimated them, but this time they absolutely walked it.

I'm so proud of them. And looking forward to throwing nasty things at them now I know they can take it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

LukasR23 posted:

Does the V11 updated version of PF2e remove all the remaster-removed aspects then? Spell schools, alignment ect.

I've got a runelord in one of my parties and I'd rather their archetype not become 100% more frustrating to use as a result of me updating.

The remaster is not out yet so no

Jon
Nov 30, 2004
Here are the changes made by the recent system update for the PF2E system for Foundry's V11;

Remaster Changes posted:

You'll notice some changes to the pathfinder system with this update. With the release of Rage of Elements we also received our first preview of the Pathfinder remastered rules. These changes are mostly in how things are named, with no mechanical impact. For example, you'll notice that the "Flat-Footed" condition is now renamed to "Off-Guard". You can read more of these changes in the Pathfinder Core Preview Document. If you are unaware of the motivation for these changes, it was prompted by the need to remove terminology from the game used by a different company's game system.

We want to make moving to the remastered version as smooth as possible for users, and for most groups these changes will have no impact. The new rules are compatible with the old rules, and all outward appearances are that this is mostly a renaming of items. The mechanical changes will not be integrated into the system until we have guidance on how to implement them with no interruption to gameplay. Going forward we plan to follow direction from Paizo and treat the remastered rules as errata to the game. We do not plan on removing any NPCs from the system, though in the future some names may change. There is no need to worry about something simply vanishing entirely on you or your group. We're players and GMs too, and we understand that some groups may be averse to changes, even ones that are just terminology changes.

We have added the new spells found in the preview document, including renaming some existing spells. If the mechanics of the spell changed in a way that it was not clear if it was meant as a replacement for an existing spell, then we kept the original spell as well as the spell intended to fill a similar function. For example, the Ignition spell is a new fire cantrip but because the mechanics of that cantrip are different than Produce Flame and the Psychic class interacts with the mechanics of produce flame directly, both spells have been kept in the system. But the new spell Falling Stars is a direct mechanical replacement for Meteor Swarm. Compendium entries of Meteor Swarm were renamed, and the mechanics of that spell updated to Falling Stars. Existing links to Meteor Swarm will now point to Falling Stars, but copies of the spell on actors were not removed or altered. For ease of reference here is a list of all spells that have had their names changed:

Scorching Ray has become Blazing Bolt
Burning Hands has become Breathe Fire
Calm Emotions has become Calm
Comprehend Languages has become Translate
Purify Food and Drink has become Cleanse Cuisine
Entangle has become Entangling Flora
Endure Elements has become Environmental Endurance
Meteor Swarm has become Falling Stars
Plane Shift has become Interplanar Teleport
Know Direction has become Know the Way
Stoneskin has become Mountain Resilience
Mage Armor has become Mystic Armor
Tree Stride has become Nature's Pathway
Barkskin has become Oaken Resilience
Tree Shape has become One with Plants
Meld into Stone has become One with Stone
Gentle Repose has become Peaceful Rest
Flesh to Stone has become Petrify
Dimensional Lock has become Planar Seal
Magic Fang has become Runic Body
Magic Weapon has become Runic Weapon
See Invisibility has become See the Unseen
Longstrider has become Tailwind
Tanglefoot has become Tangle Vine
Mage Hand has become Telekinetic Hand
Dimension Door has become Translocate
Tongues has become Truespeech
Gaseous Form has become Vapor Form

Some spells have had their mechanics or text updated with no change to the name:
Augury
Detect Magic
Fire Shield
Invoke Spirits
Speak with Animals
Speak with Plants
Speak with Stones
Wish

You can also find the following new remaster spells in our compendiums. These are either entirely new spells, or new takes on old spells that have mechanical changes that are not clearly intended as a complete replacement, or the equivalent spell was kept in the system for other mechanical reasons.
Figment
Howling Blizzard
Ignition
Manifestation
Mirage
Revealing Light
Thunderstrike
Wrathful Storm

You will also find that some languages have been renamed. Auran has become Sussuran, Terran has become Petran, Ignan has become Pyric, Aquan has become Thalassic, and Sylvan has become Fey.

Jon fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 23, 2023

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Cleanse Cuisine.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I was thinking of running gatekeepers after AV but my players have already had two 1-10 adventures. Gatekeepers also seems weird in that the story beats feel more 5-15 than 1-10 to me.

How hard would it be to scale everything up 4 or 5 levels in an adventure path?

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Xalidur posted:

Cleanse Cuisine.

Sounds like a fad diet TV dinner.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

"New from Haribo, who brought you sugar free gummi bears, iiiiiiit's Cleanse QuisineTM!"

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Jon posted:

Here are the changes made by the recent system update for the PF2E system for Foundry's V11;

Some of these renames actually make it easier to intuit what the spell does, like Mage Hand -> Telekinetic Hand or Burning Hands -> Breathe Fire. It's much easier to remember that Breathe Fire is a cone, and not a touch attack.

I'm also curious what they're changing with Wish.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Finster Dexter posted:

I'm also curious what they're changing with Wish.

Paizo already posted a pdf of the changes.

quote:

Wish Ritual

The wish spell has become a ritual to allow for more involved and evocative storytelling! The manifestation spell (on page 8 of this document) replaces the spells alter reality, miracle, primal phenomenon, and wish.

WISH
RARE RITUAL 10
Cast 1 day; Cost fine ash, magically imbued pigments, and a gem in a marquise cut worth 100,000 gp in total; Secondary Casters 2
Primary Check Arcana (legendary), Nature (legendary), Occultism (legendary), Religion (legendary); Secondary Checks Crafting, Diplomacy
Range 10 feet; Targets 1 creature

You weave the fabric of reality itself to grant the target’s greatest desire. The target declares their wish in a loud voice at the start of the ritual and again at the end. The target’s wish can be anything, ranging from simpler wishes such as vast riches or the casting of a certain spell or ritual, to greater wishes like the destruction of an entire kingdom or ascension to divinity. The GM might decide a wish draws the attention of deities or other powerful creatures, leading to interference with the ritual or attempts to undo the wish. The power of the ritual alters reality to such a degree that even deities can’t outright undo the wish, but they can react to the wish by sending servitors to take away the newly acquired riches, for example.

Critical Success The wish is granted without complication or drawbacks.

Success The wish is granted, but with unintended consequences or side effects, such as taking riches from a well-known criminal, stirring a damaged kingdom to war, or angering rival gods.

Failure The wish fails and has no result. The GM can instead have the wish be partially granted, but to such a lesser degree that the target will be eternally unsatisfied.

Critical Failure The wish is corrupted, resulting in a cruel fulfillment. The GM determines the full results, but the outcome is generally ironic in some nature, such as becoming trapped in an underground vault full of riches, being transported to the kingdom as it’s destroyed, or achieving divinity within an inaccessible demiplane.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
A gem worth 100k gp seems like something you'd need to wish for in the first place

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Heist mission to get the gem!

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

KPC_Mammon posted:

I was thinking of running gatekeepers after AV but my players have already had two 1-10 adventures. Gatekeepers also seems weird in that the story beats feel more 5-15 than 1-10 to me.

Fun fact: I’ve asked James Jacobs about this and he agrees that it should have been higher leveled

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Jen X posted:

Fun fact: I’ve asked James Jacobs about this and he agrees that it should have been higher leveled

Is there a consensus on what levels it should have been?

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

Finster Dexter posted:

Some of these renames actually make it easier to intuit what the spell does, like Mage Hand -> Telekinetic Hand or Burning Hands -> Breathe Fire. It's much easier to remember that Breathe Fire is a cone, and not a touch attack.

Even though I'm an old grognard and thoroughly resistant to change- still prefer 1e to 2- I am fully behind just about every change in the remaster. Moving away from the baggage of TSR and WOTC while keeping the good stuff is entirely doable and Paizo has been nailing it so far.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

KPC_Mammon posted:

Is there a consensus on what levels it should have been?

Not as far as I know!

(I asked in a new-deleted discord AMA during paizocon, and didn't screenshot his answer)

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

KPC_Mammon posted:

The big problem (which is probably part of why they're 1-10 adventures in the first place) is that deviant abilities are tuned to be cool and unique at the level you'd get them normally but are a much more normalized part of a typical adventurer's kit if you get them five levels later.

Still, setting that aside, it should be doable. You'd have to remake a lot of encounters entirely, partially because there's a lot of unique weird enemies that may not handle being scaled up that well, partially because there's a lot of encounters like fighting your evil boss and his four doppelganger bodyguards that feel fine at level 7 but may come off as enemies that a level 12 adventurer shouldn't be having problems with. Still, you'd have this problem if you were moving any adventure up five levels.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

How does heightening Tremor work?

https://2e.aonprd.com/Feats.aspx?ID=4224

So at level 3 it does 1d8 + 1d10? then at level 5 1d8 + 2d10?

Evilgm
Dec 31, 2014
It is likely a typo, and supposed to be 1d8 scaling.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Which of the damage dealing Earth impulses are actually worth taking?
Tremor doesn't look like it does all that much for an Overflow, granted it's an AoE, so I get not rolling big fistfuls of damage dice for it, and making difficult terrain could be a mixed blessing.

Weight of Stone seems alright, other than I constantly get the visual of a Pokemon using Rock Throw.

And The Shattered Mountain Weeps looks pretty cool, and probably better than Elemental Apotheosis as far as level 18 options go if you're going pure Earth type.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

the_steve posted:

Which of the damage dealing Earth impulses are actually worth taking?
Tremor doesn't look like it does all that much for an Overflow, granted it's an AoE, so I get not rolling big fistfuls of damage dice for it, and making difficult terrain could be a mixed blessing.

Weight of Stone seems alright, other than I constantly get the visual of a Pokemon using Rock Throw.

And The Shattered Mountain Weeps looks pretty cool, and probably better than Elemental Apotheosis as far as level 18 options go if you're going pure Earth type.

Tremor being a two action overflow that requires a saving throw is actually fine and good. You get a free attack when you channel so a typical round ends up being a MAPless attack and then aoe blasting. Difficult terrain is also really powerful.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Just thought I would pop back in to say that remember that old AD&D grog who plays in my game and made a lovely Bard that just Raises Shield and Warp Steps? Well they went down to the 3rd level of the Abomination Vaults at level 2 despite me explaining the dungeon's concept that going down one level = everything going up one level. They managed to convince themselves that this was a good thing though, because they "didn't burn resources to get down to this level". Ok! Upon meeting their first monster, he did his dumbass Warp Step/Raise Shield combo which did absolutely nothing against a level 5 skirmisher type guy. The Bard was immediately crit'd and grabbed. The entire party then had to fight to the death against a level 5 monster with some real nasty poo poo going on and two of them died. They did manage to beat it with their one conscious character (the Kineticist) who had exactly one hit worth of HP left. Near TPK.

The thing that is continuing to blow my mind is that in the post action report, 3 of them learned absolutely nothing. The lesson they cooked up between them was "oh the monster had grab, if not then our Bard could have Warp Stepped further into the dungeon to escape it". LOL yes absolutely, please take your level 2 bard with atrocious AC tearing through the third level of Vaults throwing open doors and running up and down hallways, I'm sure nothing bad will happen.

It's baking my noodle that this Bard, who constantly casts Detect Magic and checks every single door and object for treasure and traps in the most pixel-bitching way imaginable, immediately goes into brain dead Zoomies Mode whenever combat starts, and nobody besides our Kineticist learns anything. I. Do. Not. Get. It.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 28, 2023

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

why does he like warp step so much? it just lets you move a little faster. It’s not even a teleport.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

How is warp step even useful in AV anyway? like if you've got 25 ft of movement, 2 actions for Warp Step you move 60 feet...monsters are usually within like 10 feet of an open door, what is he doing like running around a monster 5 times?

It is kinda hilarious that someone's turn is going:

First 2 actions, Warp Step to move 15 feet.

Last action, raise shield.

Like is he just playing bad on purpose? Equivalent of a fighter sheathing a sword, drawing, then raising shield every turn.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

and nobody besides our Kineticist learns anything. I. Do. Not. Get. It.

Some people just really don't like the tactical layer to combat. I had something similar last session with my table with That Druid where there was a creature in water that I wanted to coax into approaching the rest of the party but our Swashbuckler just fuckin' jumped right into the water to brawl with it, leaving the rest of us without a swim speed just kinda staring at them going at it.

I even lead initiative with Delaying until the thing came in range, but nope, there they go.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

There's a ton of rules and stuff for tactical combat compared to just winging it and jumping in the water without thinking about swim speeds. I think that's an issue with Pathfinders 2e specific rules for basically everything, some people just don't want to read the rules beyond the bare minimum. If you don't understand the game, you're not going to be able to tactically play it.

Also yeah, warp step is hilariously pointless for AV when every fight takes place in a small room anyway.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I might be having a big combat coming up. The forces of evil are attacking a small town. Has anyone run something like this? The bad guys are likely to try attacking from multiple directions since they have access to some teleportation magic, so they'll need to react to problems as they appear across town.

I don't know about handwaving too much. Some of the NPCs are good friends of the party, and having them randomly die off screen might feel punitive, I guess?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

Some people just really don't like the tactical layer to combat. I had something similar last session with my table with That Druid where there was a creature in water that I wanted to coax into approaching the rest of the party but our Swashbuckler just fuckin' jumped right into the water to brawl with it, leaving the rest of us without a swim speed just kinda staring at them going at it.

I even lead initiative with Delaying until the thing came in range, but nope, there they go.

Sometimes that's just people not paying attention to anything when it's not their turn.

Or not understanding that if you delay and make the monster move first, you can bait it into an unfavorable position.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Sometimes that's just people not paying attention to anything when it's not their turn.

That may be it, because I was very explicit about it. I was top of the initiative order and stated "I am going to Delay with the trigger of the fish thing climbing onto the bridge, in order to coax it into a bad position".

And then wheee, off goes the swash~

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

KPC_Mammon posted:

I might be having a big combat coming up. The forces of evil are attacking a small town. Has anyone run something like this? The bad guys are likely to try attacking from multiple directions since they have access to some teleportation magic, so they'll need to react to problems as they appear across town.

I don't know about handwaving too much. Some of the NPCs are good friends of the party, and having them randomly die off screen might feel punitive, I guess?

take a page from the non-dnd game space. use clocks like bitd--accomplish this goal in these many rounds to be able to respond to the next one in time. be explicit with your players about the risks, rewards, and limitations of the scenario rather than arbitrarily deciding what happens off-screen. basically, turn the whole thing into a meta-encounter and acknowledge that you're playing a game, so have rules about it. you have a rare opportunity in this system for the players to meaningfully risk and lose something without failing their entire quest, take advantage of it. ramp up that tension.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Kyrosiris posted:

Honestly, that reminds me of one combat we had in AV. We were playing two dual-class characters instead of having a full party, so we had to manage things a lot more carefully.

So we're fighting this slow thing on the second floor that had previously nearly murdered us with one hit, kiting it backwards and peppering it with things to slow it down and damage it from range. And then it's looking pretty low, so his squishy magus/rogue gets insanely greedy and decides to abandon the plan and dive in to melee with the thing that had previously obliterated us there.

Of course, since it doesn't die, my shield champion/oracle has to follow him in to try and keep us alive. In the end, I get knocked unconscious and he barely finishes it off. And then he goes, "why'd you follow me in?" To which the answer is, of course, "I'm the one with the tank spec and defensive reactions, what did you expect me to do after you tried to get yourself killed on the big melee threat?"

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Kyrosiris posted:

That may be it, because I was very explicit about it. I was top of the initiative order and stated "I am going to Delay with the trigger of the fish thing climbing onto the bridge, in order to coax it into a bad position".

And then wheee, off goes the swash~

That's exactly what happens in the rules lawyer's video on pathfinder tactics. Swashbucklers are famous for turning easy fights into tpks because they want to look cool and flashy.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

KPC_Mammon posted:

I'm in the middle of running this right now. I gave my players a heads-up, so they would have time to prep defenses. I let them brainstorm ideas for what they wanted to to there. Their main ideas were to fortify the town with traps, walls, etc, to rally the townsfolk, and to scout the enemy to learn more about them / try to catch them unware / etc.

With that, we spent the next session running the prep. The players could make checks around town to earn Fortification Points, Rally Points, and Scouting Points, using the victory point system from the GMG. At certain thresholds, they gained benefits towards the fight. This was a super fun and roleplay-heavy session, with lots of great moments, like our swashbuckler and monk rolling performance and athletics to put on a mock fight to rally the townsfolk. They succeeded and crit succeeded, respectively, so we had the swashbuckler stab the monks hands, but since the hands count as cold iron due to monk stuff, instead of piercing the hands sparks flew up and the crowd went nuts.

Next session will be the actual fight. They have their fortifications in place, the townsfolk are sending them an Elite City Guard Squadron to help, and they have a pretty good idea of what they are facing (although I am throwing some fun surprises in there, too, including a recurring villain sorceress showing up invisible in order to mess with the party during the fight).

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

KPC_Mammon posted:

That's exactly what happens in the rules lawyer's video on pathfinder tactics. Swashbucklers are famous for turning easy fights into tpks because they want to look cool and flashy.

Yeah I have a Swashbuckler in our party and he sucks. I don't mean the player, I mean the poo poo the class has to do to make the character baseline effective seems to encourage really stupid moves and wasted actions.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

KPC_Mammon posted:

Ours is wit! They should be hanging back and talking poo poo! It's maddening!

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
I played a defensive style wit swashbuckler and I never found it that hard. To be fair, I abused both Tumble Behind and One for All to stay well positioned as much as possible.

Reminder that you can Tumble Through and then return to your previous space. You don't have to end up surrounded by literally everything.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Kyrosiris posted:

Some people just get a fixation about what their character does. In an online DnD game we saw like 8 trash mobs (goblins or something IDK) up ahead almost 60 feet away (the limit of our vision). This seems like a perfect situation to let the archers and casters take potshots because even if they dash they won't be able to attack us on the first round. Instead the barbarian runs up to them. She decides not to burn a rage, because "these guys aren't worth it". Upon running up to them with a light it turns out there are 12, not 8. They completely surround her, and 12 puny guys all get an attack without her damage resistance up. Now we can't use AoE spells because she's in the center of them. The action economy is against her and she nearly dies.

But why? "I'm a barbarian, that's the only thing I can do." :psyduck:

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
it doesn't help that some classes in this system, like magus and gunslinger, do have very tight action loops that hurt to have disrupted

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yeah I have a Swashbuckler in our party and he sucks. I don't mean the player, I mean the poo poo the class has to do to make the character baseline effective seems to encourage really stupid moves and wasted actions.

On occasion I've tried to Feint as a Rogue to get off-guard on a target and it's failed probably 90% of the time. Can't imagine having to rely on that for precious Panache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mister Olympus posted:

it doesn't help that some classes in this system, like magus and gunslinger, do have very tight action loops that hurt to have disrupted

Absolutely. But still, it's a team game and it helps to think about what is the best move for the team, even if it means your character does less damage this turn.