Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

skooma512 posted:

Yeah there's no reason people need to have instant access to deadly force from a car. Road rage is already a big problem and there's no reason to give someone a tool to do more of it.

Like, imagine people gunfighting in a traffic jam. Lots of people stuck in one place with bullets going everywhere, and cars except for the engine block will not stop bullets. Hope you invested in the kevlar child seat and uparmored trunk divider.

people don't usually talk about it quite like this, but I actually think this is a really strong argument for public transit.

In your car, you're reinforcing the idea that it's you against everyone else. Whenever I'm stuck on a delayed subway train and there's no service and it's loving hot and it's packed and clearly someone smells bad...it's like, yeah, tensions are getting high, but there still remains a tone of "yeah, but it sucks for all of us (even smelly guy kinda). we're all in this together."

The more time you spend in communal spaces (ex. public transit, even just dense cities in general) the more that vibe sinks in, the more time you spend in isolatated spaces, the more you become a psycho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Beeftweeter posted:

most northern cities are way safer than southern ones in terms of gun violence, let alone small towns

that’s flipped here but it’s more to do with the isolation & the gov not caring very much about ‘the north’ outside of its extractive & territorial value. it’s like that even for the north of southern provinces tho to differing degrees (which is considered ‘the north’ in terms of regional identity, & by statistics Canada for developmental purposes, tho most ppl think of the north as north of 60. taking the stats can definition is kinda funny as ‘Thunder Bay’ is north despite being on the southern border, but I digress). crime for either sense of northness tends to be much higher here, our cities usually top the ‘most dangerous’ & crime severity lists tho this doesn’t give you a clear idea of what actually being here is like

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

OldAlias posted:

that’s flipped here but it’s more to do with the isolation & the gov not caring very much about ‘the north’ outside of its extractive & territorial value. it’s like that even for the north of southern provinces tho to differing degrees (which is considered ‘the north’ in terms of regional identity, & by statistics Canada for developmental purposes, tho most ppl think of the north as north of 60. taking the stats can definition is kinda funny as ‘Thunder Bay’ is north despite being on the southern border, but I digress). crime for either sense of northness tends to be much higher here, our cities usually top the ‘most dangerous’ & crime severity lists tho this doesn’t give you a clear idea of what actually being here is like

interesting analysis. i agree, i think it's mostly flipped in the us: until relatively recently (like, the past 40 years or so) the american south was extremely poor and mostly utilized for either territorial holdings (e.g. most military bases are there) or resource extraction (farming, mining, petrochemical industry, etc.). nowadays many of the major southern cities have pivoted to a more "service-based" economy like the north has, but it's still very industrialized in comparison, which is similarly interesting because the northeast in particular was an industrial powerhouse for like a hundred years, up until industry in the us got gutted in general — a lot of that moved from the north to the cheaper south and then internationally when that also became too expensive. that's not to say that industry doesn't still exist in either place of course, but it's a shell of its former self and the north in particular pales in comparison

but i think that's just a symptom of a larger problem. there probably isn't much parallel in canadian history but imo that divide (and not just wrt gun control) goes back to the american civil war, reconstruction, the backlash to that, and more recently the civil rights era. of course it's still apparent today to a lesser degree, but in the hundred or so years that followed that had impacts upon pretty much every conceivable comparative metric. the south really, really lost that one lol

e: i kinda wonder if climate change is going to create a similar divide. not that i'd expect industry to return to the north at its previous levels for example (absent significant government intervention i think that ship has sailed), but the american south is quickly becoming even more inhospitable to the point that i'm not sure we'll have much of a choice

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 26, 2023

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
is the north pole
part of canada because that’s where santa’s workshop is and that’s a big manufacturing hub.

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006
yes that's very hot and i'll deal with it in the morning

Not sure elves are in a union tho dogg

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

President Beep posted:

is the north pole
part of canada because that’s where santa’s workshop is and that’s a big manufacturing hub.
that is unceded viking land, colonizer

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Kenny Logins posted:

that is unceded viking land, colonizer

wow check out erik the mad over here

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

mods namechange to “sweyn neckbeard” tia.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

President Beep posted:

gently caress

:ocelot::black101:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

President Beep posted:

eric the red-in-the-face

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/meganbitchell/status/1695171139637579970?s=46&t=aXw7W5TiwDaOVtqp-9FOLA

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/08/27/faa-pilots-health-conditions-va-benefits/

lol so it’s common for vets to claim ptsd to get $1k a month in benefits and then claim they have no mental health problems to get pilots licenses and they just started cross referencing the database and discovering the widespread fraud.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

akadajet posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/08/27/faa-pilots-health-conditions-va-benefits/

lol so it’s common for vets to claim ptsd to get $1k a month in benefits and then claim they have no mental health problems to get pilots licenses and they just started cross referencing the database and discovering the widespread fraud.

:patriot:

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

akadajet posted:

ooh! ooh! now do state medical marijuana discount cards against federal ATF 4473 11.e declarations!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yep dont get your med card if u want gun

the funniest part is there's no exception for security guards. if a dispensary guard wants to keep their job they cant get a med card

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

akadajet posted:

you flyboys crack me up

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
glorified bus drivers. being a little cracked should be a job requirement.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
"come with me, all 180 of you, as we soar like icarus and spit in the eye of god" - a thing pilots think is normal

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

akadajet posted:

This is straight up catch 22, those vets can't be crazy

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

bssoil posted:

This is straight up catch 22, those vets can't be crazy

:hmmyes:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

RokosCockatrice posted:

"come with me in my little cesna, all 1 of you, as we soar like icarus and spit in the eye of god" -- sagebrush, probably

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Kenny Logins posted:

you flyboys crack me up

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

joe the plumber died. dude was 34 when this poo poo happened lol

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1695931894045544506

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Cat Face Joe posted:

joe the plumber died. dude was 34 when this poo poo happened lol

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1695931894045544506

I totally forgot this dude. Rest in piss

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

akadajet posted:

I totally forgot this dude. Rest in piss

this was one of those things that utterly enraged me because his gotcha ice burn question was nonsensical on its face conflating business taxes with personal but thanks to right wing propaganda it took off

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

qirex posted:

this was one of those things that utterly enraged me because his gotcha ice burn question was nonsensical on its face conflating business taxes with personal but thanks to right wing propaganda it took off

i remember his stupid conflation being revenue vs profit, but either way it was enraging watching obama treat the guy like he wasn't obviously a moron (whether because obama gave him the benefit of the doubt or because he couldn't condescend to a Small Business Owner while campaigning i'll never know, but it would suck either way

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

raminasi posted:

whether because obama gave him the benefit of the doubt or because he couldn't condescend to a Small Business Owner while campaigning i'll never know

yeah thats a real head scratcher :thunk:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the thing that was astounding to me about the obama era news cycle was how inept the democrats were at arguing back against so much of this nakedly stupid stuff like his birth certificate or "you didn't build that." it turns out they had zero vested interest in actually being a strong opposition but it wasn't as obvious then as today

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

qirex posted:

the thing that was astounding to me about the obama era news cycle was how inept the democrats were at arguing back against so much of this nakedly stupid stuff like his birth certificate or "you didn't build that." it turns out they had zero vested interest in actually being a strong opposition but it wasn't as obvious then as today

its became glaringly obvious once obama used his massive popularity to absolutely gut state and local dem parties in order to fill his own coffers (and that of other DNC big wigs)

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

raminasi posted:

i remember his stupid conflation being revenue vs profit, but either way it was enraging watching obama treat the guy like he wasn't obviously a moron (whether because obama gave him the benefit of the doubt or because he couldn't condescend to a Small Business Owner while campaigning i'll never know, but it would suck either way

They cut Joe so much slack. He wasn’t and never was an actual licensed plumber or a small business owner. Turns out “just go into the trades!” is actually really hard to do and isn’t some shortcut to wealth without education.

I get Obama not personally tearing Joe down but the democrats should have made sure that information got around without me learning it from Wikipedia in like 2015.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the fact that stuff like "if you go up a tax bracket you could make less money" is still pretty well considered to be true is a great indicator of how bad democrats are at messaging

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

qirex posted:

today we have that red beard guy

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

qirex posted:

the fact that stuff like "if you go up a tax bracket you could make less money" is still pretty well considered to be true is a great indicator of how bad democrats are at messaging

It's by design

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Internet Old One posted:

They cut Joe so much slack. He wasn’t and never was an actual licensed plumber or a small business owner. Turns out “just go into the trades!” is actually really hard to do and isn’t some shortcut to wealth without education.

I get Obama not personally tearing Joe down but the democrats should have made sure that information got around without me learning it from Wikipedia in like 2015.

bill nye isn’t even a real science guy. checkmate libs.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i’ve just been informed that “Science Guy” isn’t a protected professional title. I apologize for this oversight and promise to do better.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Internet Old One posted:

it did, i remember it being a sort of mini-scandal at the time but it probably fell out of the news pretty quick because nobody actually gave a poo poo about "joe the plumber". iirc similarly his real name being sam caused a bit of a scandal as well

anyway i thought he was like 50 when he first got into the news cycle lol, dude looked old as poo poo. not very surprised that he didn't actually even make it that far

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Neither Joe nor Plumber

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

qirex posted:

its spiritually true for some people on medicaid

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Sam shall Slumber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
seattle is part of the south