Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I still die a little inside when I remember that Kurt Loder is almost 80 years old and Kennedy is only known as a Fox News commentator.

Haha wait what? Kennedy is a chud?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Elephant Ambush posted:

Haha wait what? Kennedy is a chud?

Even in the 90s she had a reactionary talk radio show. The only specific episode I remember was her being alarmist about video game violence.

e: late 90s early aughts I should say, the few times I heard her were 99-00

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I was going to say it was back in the days when you could see a movie with Leslie Mann in it that wasn't a Judd Apatow movie, but I just checked and Judd Apatow was actually a producer on The Cable Guy and Ben Stiller was the director.

I forgot that The Cable Guy was one of Ben Stiller's rare stints as a director.

He directed the entire first season of the Apple TV+ series "Severance" and it's friggin' awesome. Highest recommendation.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
the local bar is closing. i liked it because they brewed good beer and no one else drank there. ironically the second positive makes it hard to keep the bar going. now i'll have to go to the lively bar run by the mayor and full of white nuclear families bringing along their loving kids. loving disgusting

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Just get drunk alone at home, you freak

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

Rappaport posted:

:yeah:!

There's a bar in my building but I rarely go in there (expensive to drink out the past few years... 9 dollar drafts?!?!?)

But I smoke outside and the patrons always walk over and talk to me no matter how focused I am on reading or posting. They've taken to showing me a video of a portly bearded fellow complaining about how things are for "folks like you and me" (except I'm pretty sure he complains about welfare queens or something so gently caress him). I guess they think I'll like it cuz I'm a big white redneck.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

the local bar is closing. i liked it because they brewed good beer and no one else drank there. ironically the second positive makes it hard to keep the bar going. now i'll have to go to the lively bar run by the mayor and full of white nuclear families bringing along their loving kids. loving disgusting

Stop drinking and take up a new hobby that would normally fill that time like model trains, model Gundams, or modeling.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Go there and wreck the scene by embracing the most primal goon cringe, until patronage is more to your liking.

We can help. Do they... have a jukebox?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Rappaport posted:

my home is full of people and animals, it's impossible to get drunk in peace

Furnaceface posted:

Stop drinking and take up a new hobby that would normally fill that time like model trains, model Gundams, or modeling.

better men then you have told me to stop drinking and i didn't listen to them either

BRJurgis posted:

Go there and wreck the scene by embracing the most primal goon cringe, until patronage is more to your liking.

We can help. Do they... have a jukebox?

it's this giant indoor/outdoor space habitually packed with dozens of people. even with my naturally elevated levels of cringe the effect will be diluted to pointlessness

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

my home is full of people and animals, it's impossible to get drunk in peace

I think that it was the most profound philosopher of our era, Homer Simpson, who remarked that alcohol is both the cause of and solution to all of life's problems. I would amend that with "eventually". Were you determined enough with your home-based drinking, these distractions will eventually go away, leaving you ample time and solitude for more drinking. Algorithms are magic, my friend.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

better men then you have told me to stop drinking and i didn't listen to them either

Well then dont stop, just reduce the frequency and quantity. :colbert:

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i think that limiting one's alcoholism to theoretically public places is preferable to doing it all the way at home

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Rappaport posted:

I think that it was the most profound philosopher of our era, Homer Simpson, who remarked that alcohol is both the cause of and solution to all of life's problems. I would amend that with "eventually". Were you determined enough with your home-based drinking, these distractions will eventually go away, leaving you ample time and solitude for more drinking. Algorithms are magic, my friend.

this is like saying that death is the solution to all problems though

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
technically true but unhelpful

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

BRJurgis posted:

They've taken to showing me a video of a portly bearded fellow complaining about how things are for "folks like you and me" (except I'm pretty sure he complains about welfare queens or something so gently caress him). I guess they think I'll like it cuz I'm a big white redneck.

consider telling them "wow, that sucks tremendously, thank you for showing it to me" like it is effusive thanks, with no sarcasm in your voice. it will not necessarily drive away everyone but it will perplex anyone who's determined to keep bothering you long enough to leave

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Cease to Hope posted:

technically true but unhelpful

This interpretation depends entirely on one's goals. If the idea is to be drunk, often and effectively, then being drunk often and effectively assists with that. And death is, insofar as we know, inevitable, so its helpfulness to any endeavour depends entirely on the nature of the endeavour, and given its nature it is perhaps advisable to design one's endeavours with this end-point in mind.

Or in other words, the real treasure are the friends drinks we find along the way!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
One of the top officers at the Marine Corps air training base has the official callsign "Simple Jack" after Ben Stiller's fictional mentally retarded character in Tropic Thunder.

quote:

Pilot killed in F-18 jet crash near San Diego identified as Marine known as 'Simple Jack'

SAN DIEGO (AP) — The U.S. military has identified the Marine Corps pilot who was killed Thursday when his combat jet crashed near a San Diego base during a training flight.

Maj. Andrew Mettler was piloting an F/A-18D Hornet when it went down at 11:54 p.m. Thursday near Marine Corps Air Station Miramar, the 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing said in a statement from its headquarters in Cherry Point, North Carolina.

Searchers recovered Mettler’s body at the site, and the crash remains under investigation.

Known as “Simple Jack,” Mettler was a native of Georgia and stationed at Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort in South Carolina. He was commissioned in 2007 and was a leader in his squadron, the Fighting Bengals, at the time of his death.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new..._source=twitter

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Furnaceface posted:

Well then dont stop, just reduce the frequency and quantity. :colbert:
that sounds pretty stupid OP

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

One of the top officers at the Marine Corps air training base has the official callsign "Simple Jack" after Ben Stiller's fictional mentally retarded character in Tropic Thunder.

man, you join up and think you'll get a movie name like maverick or iceman, then you get hit with reality

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I dunno, am I supposed to be outraged? I mean, besides the fact that he's now dead, he presumably got the name in the late aughts, at the same time that a well-reviewed major Hollywood release, starring actors that are beloved to this day, used it as a joke. And then he didn't change it, because it had become his "name" in a way that is pretty special to military pilots, and it's only marginally offensive. I mean poo poo, it's not like his callsign was another Tropic Thunder/Simple Jack reference, "Full R-----".

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

man, you join up and think you'll get a movie name like maverick or iceman, then you get hit with reality
lol

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Mellow Seas posted:

I dunno, am I supposed to be outraged?

lol

No, just funny.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
rolling into hour three of back to back meetings out of six. will to live fading

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
RIP to the latest incarnation of Avs

atriptothebeach
Oct 27, 2020

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

rolling into hour three of back to back meetings out of six. will to live fading

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwAxLeuOjUU&t=210s

atriptothebeach
Oct 27, 2020

Harold Fjord posted:

oh no 😔

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Never go full nickname

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The Faculty is the best Jon Stewart movie.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Harold Fjord posted:

What'd I miss?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The Faculty is the best Jon Stewart movie.

No it's Half-Baked

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

DeadlyMuffin posted:

What'd I miss?

she autobanned for some reason

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Professor Beetus posted:

No it's Half-Baked

no it's... death to smoochie?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Amazon is suggesting this product to me because I bought a Swiffer wiper head replacement.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I like the "URINE DESTROYER" in the "People who bought this also purchased..." products too.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

at some point modernity just got cancelled and we got all this nonsense instead and it really does grind my gears a bit

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

reject modernity, embrace trvdvtvvn [picture of a boiled turnip]

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

It is kind of weird that we have sequels to books, movies, and TV shows, but almost never have sequels to songs.

I want to hear what the Piano Man is up to in Piano Man 2: The Sequel to Piano Man.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Uneasy rider 2 really loving sucks (but that was before I knew how bad Charlie Daniel's was).

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
And yet Metallica has three god drat Unforgivens

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
tracy chapman has been sitting on faster car for decades now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Professor Beetus posted:

And yet Metallica has three god drat Unforgivens

I am happy that I never found out there's a third one until right now.