Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

watho posted:

im sure someone has made a eurorack or vcv rack module that can interface with the buttplug.io standard at this point

Holy poo poo, keep me updated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

I've been building my own homebrew software synthesizer in order to support a music game I'm working on. The idea of this game is to give players the feeling of improvising on a music instrument without needing any musical training. My synth is generating all the sounds at runtime (except for the percussion samples). It's still a very early prototype, but if you're curious you can check it out at itch: https://giogadi.itch.io/audial

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Ok Comboomer posted:

brb, gonna go wire my buchla to my prostate and my microbrute to the inside of my peehole

finally, east coast and west coast unite to create brown coast synthesis

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

RocketMermaid posted:

brown coast synthesis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcYuj2Mg4RA ?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

giogadi posted:

I've been building my own homebrew software synthesizer in order to support a music game I'm working on. The idea of this game is to give players the feeling of improvising on a music instrument without needing any musical training. My synth is generating all the sounds at runtime (except for the percussion samples). It's still a very early prototype, but if you're curious you can check it out at itch: https://giogadi.itch.io/audial
That's super cool, and looks fun too! Thanks for sharing.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
got my behringer edge after an absolutely unreasonable amount of time. thankfully its sick!!!!! brings big smile to my face, kicking my crave out of its spot for the edge

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

RocketMermaid posted:

finally, east coast and west coast unite to create brown coast synthesis

gonna be a white coast when I'm done

maybe a red coast if I overdo it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CatBlack posted:

got my behringer edge after an absolutely unreasonable amount of time. thankfully its sick!!!!! brings big smile to my face, kicking my crave out of its spot for the edge

what one

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

CatBlack posted:

https://youtu.be/XP5rakahDbs

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CatBlack posted:

jelly, really want one of those.

Been trying to set up my little studio here, and just to see if I could make them all talk to each other I hooked the SQ-64 to 4 of these old lab synths, been having trouble stopping it's just so hypnotic and it ate up my whole weekend. Been doing stuff like stacking two of them, now I've got two pairs of old 70s and 80s lab synths working together as two-osc synths - with limitations - and they can really do some wild stuff if you can find the sweet spots, it's all kinda like working with a MS-20. I don't lean toward trying to use them in any kind of melodic use like as a lead or anything, at least not yet, I haven't even gotten to the bottom here it just keeps going and it's so weird. There's a point where it's about experiencing audio phenomena, rather than about hearing a melody. I can hardly wait till I make some more fricking patch cables to power these with the Crave. I've totally got this robots dancing in a junkyard thing going on if I want. That feels appropriate because some of the noises these gadgets generate are garbage! But there are these moments when start to hear things sounding good, it's like looking at one of those 3d pictures and all the sudden the 3 dimensions materialize.

Oh but my point was to do it with nothing but old hardware, that's what I originally set about to do Friday night. Which found me dead on my feet connecting poo poo and wiggling knobs at 4 this morning. Cheers.

I think part of what sounds so weird with these old lab synths (I mean, aside from everything about how they were never intended for audio use, generally) is they were designed for shaping potentially pretty complex wave forms using math built around analog hardware. I'm thinking the kind of tech that made old school graphic equalizers, where you have any number of vector poles, but the line is a wave form. Nowadays we have devices you can just draw the wave form with a mouse using digital and many people wouldn't be able to tell the difference. In fact Imma have to bust that one out too now, give that a try.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 22, 2023

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
For any of you using VCV Rack, HetrickCV just released a large free library of very cool phasor-based generators, modulators and sequencers. Basically, instead of using clock edges to indicate time units, these use ramp waves to determine both position and timing.

quote:

This simple difference provides significantly more information to a sequencer. With only two samples of an incoming phasor, a sequencer is able to calculate the frequency/BPM of a sequence, along with the direction that the sequencer should be heading. With only one sample, the sequencer is able to look up the exact step that it should be on along with the exact phase of the step (i.e. how "far" through the step we are). What this means in practice is that you can have a number of sequencers all responding to a leader phasor in lockstep: all BPM changes, directional changes, and any other shifts occur instantly without artifacts since the sequencers do not need to calculate timing between pulses.

Very cool poo poo can be done by modulating the phasor being used to time sequences, among other things. I highly recommend checking out the library and read the docs to get an idea of what you can do with it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's pretty bananas that randos like me can noodle around uselessly with stuff like this for free.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah this is pretty fun, even just messing with the knobs on the kick drum patch in the examples makes some really fun polyrhythms really fast.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

withak posted:

It's pretty bananas that randos like me can noodle around uselessly with stuff like this for free.

Presumably it's all marketing but the truth is they love making it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Guess I'm ok with enabling other people's addiction to buying hardware.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

petit choux posted:

Presumably it's all marketing but the truth is they love making it.
There's some weirdos that don't even make commercial stuff, just rad free stuff.
Freaking hero devs.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

So synth thread, I was talking about it in the DIY forum and I'll just ask here once, I just dumpstered an old Hammond organ. Nothing special but really ancient, appears to be one of the oldest transistor organs, probably a v rudimentary device. Do any of you have any advice on whether or how I can use any of this hardware? The service manual doesn't seem to describe the voltages used to power and control these things but then it's only a service manual and it's good as such.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
It was there for a reason. If you’re in to synthdiy they used to be good sources for parts and chassis but even before our current renaissance that hasn’t made much economic sense. Parts too common/cheap these days. Even TOGs are back in production by coolaudio.
The transistor organs that were worth grabbing are combos and even that’s a tough prospect when nord is.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Startyde posted:

It was there for a reason. If you’re in to synthdiy they used to be good sources for parts and chassis but even before our current renaissance that hasn’t made much economic sense. Parts too common/cheap these days. Even TOGs are back in production by coolaudio.
The transistor organs that were worth grabbing are combos and even that’s a tough prospect when nord is.

It was there for a reason? :nice:

petit choux fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Aug 24, 2023

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

B33rChiller posted:

There's some weirdos that don't even make commercial stuff, just rad free stuff.
Freaking hero devs.

I'd put Tom Erbe into that general box because while of course the MN stuff is proprietary and for-profit, soundhack is as free as it's ever been and the ecosystem around it continues to evolve. So he's made it his life work but also it goes well beyond capitalism. Spectraphon is a super fun module but it's also sort of the least surprising bizarre idea in the world, just because, dude clearly really really really really likes spectral DSP things.

Émilie Gillet and the SynthTech guy are kinda in similar spots; in both cases there were with-much-love substantial feature improvements released after the products they are for (Plaits and E520) were production-discontinued and generally out of stock. Émilie arguably "contributed more" ivia doing lots of OSS stuff but I am not really trying to pit fight this. (SynthTech still sell commercial versions of a bunch of VCV modules, at pretty reasonable prices, to which I say, good for them).

Maybe I should play with soundhack more, I've never really explored it at all. (https://www.soundhack.com/)

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 24, 2023

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I'd put Tom Erbe into that general box because while of course the MN stuff is proprietary and for-profit, soundhack is as free as it's ever been and the ecosystem around it continues to evolve. So he's made it his life work but also it goes well beyond capitalism. Spectraphon is a super fun module but it's also sort of the least surprising bizarre idea in the world, just because, dude clearly really really really really likes spectral DSP things.

Émilie Gillet and the SynthTech guy are kinda in similar spots; in both cases there were with-much-love substantial feature improvements released after the products they are for (Plaits and E520) were production-discontinued and generally out of stock. Émilie arguably "contributed more" ivia doing lots of OSS stuff but I am not really trying to pit fight this. (SynthTech still sell commercial versions of a bunch of VCV modules, at pretty reasonable prices, to which I say, good for them).

Maybe I should play with soundhack more, I've never really explored it at all. (https://www.soundhack.com/)

Oh poo poo, it's cabbages and kings, I'd better go practice my horn.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

petit choux posted:

Oh poo poo, it's cabbages and kings, I'd better go practice my horn.

if there's one thing I hope to inspire it's that people be more comfortable tooting their own horns

and the horns of others, with consent. but i really don't understand the stigmas against "tooting your own horn". if you have a horn, is it not there to be tooted? disambiguating this confounds me

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Note the following does not reflect my own feelings on the matter, I'm attempting to guess what's up.
Sometimes it's the excessive tooting, at the expense of hearing other horns and or instruments.
Like, calm your toots. Take a breath and let Gwen pound out a drum solo.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Yeah man you gotta breathe.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Well, I had some extremely weird problem trying to multisample into my bitbox micro at 4:20 am (lol) today that drove me to RTFM twice, give up, go to sleep, and then of course everything Just Works this morning.

Pretty sweet -- I can see myself spending a bunch of time just loading up an SD card with cool mother32/taiga/etc patches, multisampled. Then can be played as up-to-8-voice poly, other cool things. Super cool little device, the 110 page manual put me off learning a bunch of fundamentals until I had to but once you get used to its dumb menu dives it's not any worse than any other glorified late-00s smartphone.

I couldn't get a satisfactory mobile rig into 140HP with all the dumb big MN stuff I like, so I turned my NiftyCase into a control skiff to go along with it and now it Does All The Things I Want, More Or Less

"devices for harassing birds and city park users". The MIDI poo poo is mostly there to enable iPad daw nonsense, and also make it easy to integrate with other people's poo poo.

B33rChiller posted:

Note the following does not reflect my own feelings on the matter, I'm attempting to guess what's up.
Sometimes it's the excessive tooting, at the expense of hearing other horns and or instruments.
Like, calm your toots. Take a breath and let Gwen pound out a drum solo.

Let it not be said that I advocate the tooting of one's own, or another's, horn, at volumes which Unfairly Dominate The Mix*

My objection is that simply "tooting your own horn" is seen as a negative, and I say, compared to what? Tooting the horn of another? Not tooting a horn at all? I'd rather toot, than not, and I'd rather toot my own horn, generally, unless I'm being loaned a very nice one by someone who it's not stressful to borrow expensive things from.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Had fun trying to follow this guide on my Ultranova.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bri8fnMUfaQ

Without dedicated FM controls, the trick is to modulate an LFO's frequency and amplitude both by your position on the keyboard.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

So Math posted:

Had fun trying to follow this guide on my Ultranova.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bri8fnMUfaQ

Without dedicated FM controls, the trick is to modulate an LFO's frequency and amplitude both by your position on the keyboard.

Imagine being a bird and having to work all that stuff out.

ED: no schooling or anything

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
A delay was the last thing missing from rack before I start replacing bits from the Neutron, so of course I decided to order a Sealegs. In my defense I just unloaded a BSP and can probably sell my FX Aid if the built in reverb can get spacey enough.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

That looks cool. I really enjoy the chronoblob2.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Quadraphonics & Modular
There's a bunch of cool ways of doing this in rack with joystick-panning. It's also a $1000-2000 problem, based on speccing out a couple control skiffs for it.

I think it's a cool idea; it's wildly impractical and will let me make patches that are almost impossible to record for playback in another space. :laugh: Sounds like fun but I don't want to spend any money right now and after looking at ways of screwing things together in a DAW (basically complex bus arrangements) I decided I don't hate myself nearly that much, so, this is what I've come up with as my first blush at doing it entirely in hardware without buying anything.

Audio Chain:
All Eurorack -> Cosmix Pro -> Zed10FX mixer stereo channel A
All non-eurorack: direct to Zed10FX
Cosmix Stereo Aux -> E520 Hyperion -> 2nd mixer (ZEDI8USB) Stereo channel A
Zed10FX Aux -> ZEDI8USB Stereo B

Front channels: Edifier powered monitors (as now) coming off Zed10FX monitor line
Rear Channels: criterion 50A speakers from 1972 my dad gave me, being powered by a 30 year old sony stereo with working noice tape decks and a busted CD carousel :laugh:

The idea is that I can use the aux sends to optionally send stuff to the rear, and also have something like a shimmer reverb or spectral reverb going on in the rear. "3d panning" would be difficult and have to be approximated by working 2-3 faders and encoders at the same time.

Reverb etc will not be 3d spatialized. This is super crude but it seems like a fun way to start messing with the concepts of what it sounds like to be inside a quadraphonic space, without spending the $1600 that I might end up spending down the line, once I have a tenor sax...

I built a Boing! LPG last night at a meetup, the build was run by Jack from Setonix and everyone's units tested as good by the end. It was fun. Easy to see the rabbit hole of getting a nice iron and starting to build HexMix system one piece at a time :laugh:

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Why stop there?

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

dexefiend posted:

Why stop there?

:nice:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Quadraphonics & Modular
I decided I don't hate myself nearly that much, so, this is what I've come up with as my first blush at doing it entirely in hardware without buying anything.

Hey, keep at it! Multispeaker means whatever you want. I used to like running two keyboard cubes with a third amp in the middle for a jive LCR cine kinda thing. There's magical $atmos spectral phantom surround dsp whatever these days but it's not like you're authoring for that so don't worry about mixing for it. There's FOSS software, and I think at this point just a plugin chain for live now, that'll do matrix quad (think dolby prologic) from four stems so it's finally something you can author and distribute without spending a bunch of cash.

I do hate myself and grabbed a poltergeist back when they were still available. Outboard runs back in usually via it. You can get pretty far RYO as you're doing, especially if you throw in some helper modules. An aeolus seeds makes for a great panner on its own for classic stereotyped effects but is useful outside of that context as well with its additional modes. First gen planars are coming down a bit with the new one out. There's also always the quad massager for a standalone take.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Startyde posted:

Hey, keep at it! Multispeaker means whatever you want. I used to like running two keyboard cubes with a third amp in the middle for a jive LCR cine kinda thing. There's magical $atmos spectral phantom surround dsp whatever these days but it's not like you're authoring for that so don't worry about mixing for it. There's FOSS software, and I think at this point just a plugin chain for live now, that'll do matrix quad (think dolby prologic) from four stems so it's finally something you can author and distribute without spending a bunch of cash.

I do hate myself and grabbed a poltergeist back when they were still available. Outboard runs back in usually via it. You can get pretty far RYO as you're doing, especially if you throw in some helper modules. An aeolus seeds makes for a great panner on its own for classic stereotyped effects but is useful outside of that context as well with its additional modes.

Seeds + Mixer + Intelligel planar 2 + maybe a civilization was my starting point and where i came up with 1500-2k. Poltergeist looks awesome and they're not impossible to find, they're mostly just $800.

2024 project; dicking with the stuff I have now is fine.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
This is what happens when I try to play synths around Lola. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIVCFBUZOVs

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I think nysthi has a module in their free vcv collection that will do spacialization Fx to give you 3d on headphones.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

It's also a $1000-2000 problem

Ah, a cheap eurorack problem for once!

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

dexefiend posted:

Why stop there?

:sbahj: That is sick as gently caress.

Between kits and stripboard builds, my rack is probably about 40-50% DIY at this point and I love it.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

giogadi posted:

Have you heard of FRACT OSC?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/243220/FRACT_OSC/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Yoooooo I haven’t seen this! Thanks so much for the rec, I’ll check it out!