Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

New enemies? Did they add NPC Convicts/Contestants, or is just more robots or zombies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Panfilo posted:

SCUM was interesting in theory but just too overwhelming in detail. Highlight of my experience was drinking too much wine, having to go to the bathroom then getting ambushed by a zombie while sitting on the toilet :gonk:
My big problem with SCUM was that the entire experience was excruciatingly boring stretches of wandering immense empty distances only to finally arrive at my destination and find one enemy and three items, thwarted the entire way by some of the worst controls and interface I've ever used.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Panfilo posted:

SCUM was interesting in theory but just too overwhelming in detail. Highlight of my experience was drinking too much wine, having to go to the bathroom then getting ambushed by a zombie while sitting on the toilet :gonk:

So you're the guy who died in the toilet stall in every horror game.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I just want 7D2D with Rust’s graphics and combat. 7D2D would be my perfect game but I find the combat so disconnected and boring.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

chainchompz posted:

Whoa, stationers has been in EA for a long time. I filter my stuff so EA doesn't show up I'm kinda shocked I've missed that one.
A few questions:
a- Any plans to just 1.0 it and call it good?
b- is it EA in all but name? IE it's a full game with no major bugs?

How do you have * any * games show up in your feed with EA turned off? Nowadays it feels like every game is EA by default regardless of its state. Sort of a pointless label to describe anything anymore.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

New enemies? Did they add NPC Convicts/Contestants, or is just more robots or zombies?

A couple new biological weapon- type experimental monsters. Which look cool, I guess. And they added some incredibly confusing and obtuse sounding mechanics in actually powering up the bunker and opening doors inside. Updated male models too, but the faces looked terrible.

I think it's a bit telling at this point that none of my regular gaming group even tried the patch out yet. Still think the game absolutely needs more PVE stuff like new enemies, quests, interactable NPC's, dynamic events... and less detailed mini-games replacing existing content.

When I say dynamic events I mean something like a TEC-1 train going from the factory to the coastal town every now and then (or use some of the other railway tracks too). Players could intercept it (and each other) to loot or just hitch a ride. Or TEC-1 kill patrols. Or some deranged rich rear end in a top hat coming to the island to hunt prisoners. Or a zombie horde. Something to break the tedium of fighting a single zombie for basically the whole gameplay loop.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

TeaJay posted:

Updated male models too
But why male models?

Jehuti
Nov 19, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

But why male models?

Cause female models got their update last year.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.

Jehuti posted:

Cause female models got their update last year.

So you're saying those files are inside the computer?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Vib Rib posted:

My big problem with SCUM was that the entire experience was excruciatingly boring stretches of wandering immense empty distances only to finally arrive at my destination and find one enemy and three items, thwarted the entire way by some of the worst controls and interface I've ever used.

relatable

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I just figured out that chemistry in Stationeers is hosed beyond repair.

You can put volatiles and O2 into an H2 Combuster, and out comes Water and heat.
You can put volatiles and O2 into a generator, and out comes… CO2 and pollutants and electricity and heat.

The game seems set up to destroy H2. Plants destroy it as well, and so does drinking. It's weird and it feels game ruining that common and obvious things don't work the way they should. My first thought when settling Mars is to conserve and recycle the elements required to sustain life in a closed loop, but a closed loop is impossible in Stationeers because it fucks up the chemistry. :argh:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Antigravitas posted:

I just figured out that chemistry in Stationeers is hosed beyond repair.

You can put volatiles and O2 into an H2 Combuster, and out comes Water and heat.
You can put volatiles and O2 into a generator, and out comes… CO2 and pollutants and electricity and heat.

The game seems set up to destroy H2. Plants destroy it as well, and so does drinking. It's weird and it feels game ruining that common and obvious things don't work the way they should. My first thought when settling Mars is to conserve and recycle the elements required to sustain life in a closed loop, but a closed loop is impossible in Stationeers because it fucks up the chemistry. :argh:

So what you are saying is that the hydrogen combustor should stop filtering out the hydrocarbons in the volatiles and release large amounts of carbon dioxide and pollutants.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I hate you.

But also, I think space toilets and human waste processing are essential parts that are missing from Stationeers. Volatiles should be split into H2 and methane, burning hydrocarbons should release H2O vapour and CO2, plants should sequester C and H and perspirate H2O while releasing O2. And someone should go through all of those reactions and make sure the mols add up.

I want to put a sign at the station entrance that reads "In this station we observe conservation of mass".

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Antigravitas posted:

I hate you.

But also, I think space toilets and human waste processing are essential parts that are missing from Stationeers. Volatiles should be split into H2 and methane, burning hydrocarbons should release H2O vapour and CO2, plants should sequester C and H and perspirate H2O while releasing O2. And someone should go through all of those reactions and make sure the mols add up.

I want to put a sign at the station entrance that reads "In this station we observe conservation of mass".

Hey stationeer devs, let me drink my own piss!!!!!

:mad:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Antigravitas posted:

I hate you.

it's really annoying, but on the other hand by either burning or composting biomass (i forget which, or maybe you have to do both) you get a shitton of POL and volatiles, and the o2 needed to burn or h2 combustor said volatiles comes from your plants

it's very :gamelogic: but i've trained myself to ignore game logic when i have to. still incredible to me that the goddamn cartoony game of oxygen not included is more accurate than stationeers lol

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

RandomBlue posted:

It is kinda weird that the suit has a waste gasses tank but not a waste liquids tank.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

RandomBlue posted:

Thread moving back into Urge territory.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

If you're going to Mars, you're going to piss your own drink.

Varsity
Jun 4, 2006

Power Walrus posted:

Thread moving back into Urge territory.

Life is but a vicious circle of piss. - Confucpiss

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I've been checked out of 7DTD for the last couple of years, how is it with this newest update that came out yesterday?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

explosivo posted:

how is it with this newest update that came out yesterday?

No, please, I can’t handle another distraction this weekend :negative:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

explosivo posted:

I've been checked out of 7DTD for the last couple of years, how is it with this newest update that came out yesterday?

overall it's great, they added a couple of extremely Game Designer aspects like requiring you to loot dozens of skillbooks to unlock various craftables and throttling drinking water to a very specific construction piece that has to be bought from traders but they've also added many hundreds of hand crafted POIs and that's really what the game is about, you can mod out the drinking water and skillbook poo poo if you don't like it.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I just had a revelation. Stationeers isn't a survivial game. It's HVAC Simulator 2023.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

New 7DTD update seems great so far. The POI's are fantastic and it's really kinda crazy how good that game looks now compared to a couple years ago.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Antigravitas posted:

I just had a revelation. Stationeers isn't a survivial game. It's HVAC Simulator 2023.

In 2023, HVAC is survival.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

explosivo posted:

New 7DTD update seems great so far. The POI's are fantastic and it's really kinda crazy how good that game looks now compared to a couple years ago.

I wish at some point they'd revamp the pre-2k style melee combat but otherwise it's pretty fun, I really respect that it rewards different playstyles well e.g. you can be turret planting gadget master or big strong sledge hammer swinger smashing through walls or sneak around knifing and bow-shooting and bouncing 20 feet in the air

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I was always partial to bow sniping sleepers. Managed to clear out the rooftop of the hospital helipad in a T5 mission without so much as a peep. This tactic can carry you pretty far along in gamestage until things just get too hectic for a single shot weapon.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Panfilo posted:

I was always partial to bow sniping sleepers. Managed to clear out the rooftop of the hospital helipad in a T5 mission without so much as a peep. This tactic can carry you pretty far along in gamestage until things just get too hectic for a single shot weapon.
More and more I'm running into POIs (and especially finales) where crossing a doorway, however silently, will wake up 20+ zombies who all start sprinting at me from around corners and on top of roofs. It's been a while since I've seen any finale that gives me line of sight with all the inactive zombies.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Antigravitas posted:

yeah always has been

also i've been peeking at previews and apparently they're making the rockets just be shells that you then have to equip with your own guts and it's gonna own lmao

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Vib Rib posted:

More and more I'm running into POIs (and especially finales) where crossing a doorway, however silently, will wake up 20+ zombies who all start sprinting at me from around corners and on top of roofs. It's been a while since I've seen any finale that gives me line of sight with all the inactive zombies.

Well, the designers love to hide zeds behind false walls and ceilings for maximum startle factor, and like you mentioned I think some blocks have some invisible "trigger" to wake up some zombies when you enter an area.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Truga posted:

rockets just be shells that you then have to equip with your own guts and it's gonna own lmao

Thankfully this is not survival horror. I took that a little too literally at first glance and was briefly confused.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

LordSloth posted:

Thankfully this is not survival horror. I took that a little too literally at first glance and was briefly confused.

:same: lol

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Truga posted:

yeah always has been

also i've been peeking at previews and apparently they're making the rockets just be shells that you then have to equip with your own guts and it's gonna own lmao

Are those... medium-sized tanks? What deviltry has Stationeers wrought?

For real, it's lookin' good and I should probably reinstall it one of these days when I have some free time to get back into Space-Based HVAC Installation and Troubleshooting: The Game.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 15, 2023

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

beats for junkies posted:

Are those... medium-sized tanks? What deviltry has Stationeers wrought?

For real, it's lookin' good and I should probably reinstall it one of these days when I have some free time to get back into Space-Based HVAC Installation and Troubleshooting: The Game.

Just wait til you see the bigly active vents they just added. They are so dreamy. :swoon:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

The inline tanks are pretty good if you just need a buffer.

My current gripe, the H2O situation notwithstanding, is how easily gas pipes burst. 5 mol of N2 are ~70g, but if they freeze a gas pipe as thick as my arm will explode? I just need a simple heat pipe to cool my 3x3 initial greenhouse at the beginning of the game.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Will likely pick this up later. Only $16 atm.
Sunkenland, early access as always.
Looks like earlier version of 7D2d mixed with underwater exploration/scavenging, ala Waterworld.
Has enemy filled POIs to assault/loot and deadly fish to kill/avoid.
Lots of looting, crafting, base building, fishing and farming.
But too early to have any story/quests though.

And just the right amount of janky.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Those video clips already look pretty good for being early access. As long as it doesn't get abandoned or end up in forever alpha like 7DTD

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Truga posted:

yeah always has been

This looks extremely cool, it kinda reminds me of Space Engineers with Stormworks level of detail.

Is it fun to build poo poo? Are you reliant on a handful of prewritten LUA segments or something people wrote to do cool poo poo? I have zero experience with Stationeers.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

JerikTelorian posted:

This looks extremely cool, it kinda reminds me of Space Engineers with Stormworks level of detail.

Is it fun to build poo poo? Are you reliant on a handful of prewritten LUA segments or something people wrote to do cool poo poo? I have zero experience with Stationeers.

If you enjoy the idea of making HVAC systems this is the game for you, if that doesn't excite you, probably not. I think like 80% of my playtime has been designing airlocks lol.

There is LUA code stuff, but you can get by without it by kludging together your own stuff outta the basic breadboard logic components. You'll probably need to check the guides or workshop for an automated solar setup at the most. Most scripts on the workshop are just convenience/etc stuff instead of necessary. There is a programable robot buddy thing that works purely off LUA, but I've never used it.

Building stuff that looks pretty is hard tho, if that's something you look for in survival games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i haven't touched any code not written by me or my friend and i'm doing ok so far. it's not even lua, it's just barely better than assembly, and you're limited to 128 lines per chip/program so i don't really see what i'd get from online that i can't toss together myself in 30 minutes

built a hugeass hangar recently, gonna be fun to see the first trader i call down crash into it because i didn't read/watch any guides and just winged it with the lackluster stationpedia descriptions and nothing else :v: