Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
115 kt lol still some high potential for a Cat4 landfall. Big Surge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

SKULL.GIF posted:

So I'm gonna be in Atlanta Wednesday morning through Friday evening. I see a large storm is going to rip through north Florida / south Georgia. Should I be concerned?

Alternatively, should I be concerned about my dad? He's driving some family north from Tampa to Atlanta Wednesday morning.

You shouldn't be concerned, now your dad on the other hand, yeah. Could you ask your dad to leave like today or tomorrow instead? Because the worst is supposed to hit on Wednesday.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

FlamingLiberal posted:

Wednesday morning is too late, this thing will be likely making landfall early Wed morning

Lol well there goes our family vacation plans. I guess maybe he could delay until Thursday morning?

Good thing everyone else will be coming in from the north instead of directly through a Cat [0-4] hurricane.

NeonPunk posted:

You shouldn't be concerned, now your dad on the other hand, yeah. Could you ask your dad to leave like today or tomorrow instead? Because the worst is supposed to hit on Wednesday.

The place we're staying at is booked for Wed-Friday, so he'd have to find somewhere for 4 people to stay Tuesday evening. I guess we'll figure it out.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

SKULL.GIF posted:

Lol well there goes our family vacation plans. I guess maybe he could delay until Thursday morning?

Good thing everyone else will be coming in from the north instead of directly through a Cat [0-4] hurricane.

Lmao, it would be far better to leave early, not later

Okay, to give an example, since you're from the north, would you advise someone to leave an area before a severe snowstorm hits or after it hits?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

SirPablo posted:

HWRF gonna HWRF

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I love the NAM (it has a bias to go too deep with tropical systems). This would likely be Cat5, but the probability of this happening is maybe 5% at best.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

SirPablo posted:

RIP

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

NeonPunk posted:

Okay, to give an example, since you're from the north, would you advise someone to leave an area before a severe snowstorm hits or after it hits?

Depends, do you like snow?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Tate's Hell State Forest?

what thef uck you got against forests that makes it so miserable, Tate??

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
800mb hurricane when? :mad:

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

oh good thing we're not currently experiencing a dr...

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

gdi i'm so sick of these 90+ degree days every other week

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

That sounds like Dorian which stalled over the Bahamas as a Cat 5 and then went north

thats the one

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Can't wait to say this in November and February

:stoked:

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

FistEnergy posted:

Can't wait to say this in November and February

:stoked:

we were dealing with forest fires on fuckin halloween last year in Seattle (the place thats world famous for being too wet and dank)

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

WaryWarren posted:

Plus side of living in Minneapolis is that if my house gets flooded there's a good chance that I will have been murdered by the million other things that went wrong beforehand that made that possible.

MLK Ultra
Mar 9, 2021

https://twitter.com/FlyTPA/status/1696185606714318878?t=pcYTD6TAxs-H-ldn6YmRdA&s=19

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

RadiRoot posted:

so a hypercane thats basically stuck over florida? sure why not

:yeshahayes:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Blame SirPablo; he brought Phoenix temps to the Midwest when he moved!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Still early but it doesn't sound like my dad is changing his travel plans/timing. Godspeed Florida man :patriot:

edit: itinerary is leaving Tampa around mid-morning Wednesday morning and arriving in Atlanta around 3-4 pm. He's gonna be driving right through the center of the storm for like at least a hour.

SKULL.GIF has issued a correction as of 19:16 on Aug 28, 2023

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

Still early but it doesn't sound like my dad is changing his travel plans/timing. Godspeed Florida man :patriot:

edit: itinerary is leaving Tampa around mid-morning Wednesday morning and arriving in Atlanta around 3-4 pm. He's gonna be driving right through the center of the storm for like at least a hour.

That’s if he’s not stuck in traffic with everyone else getting out of there

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

well, get him a youtube stream at least

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

The only thing on earth that matters if it closes is Waffle House.
Edit* LOL that the airport wasn't built to be a shelter. Where thousands of people are at any given time. What the gently caress?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

that’s an extremely bad idea and they are going to close the bridges I would imagine

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Clark Griswold loading luggage onto the top of the family truckster during a cat 4 hurricane. Each time he places a piece of luggage on the roof rack it flies away until he looks down and there is no more luggage left. Then a 2X4 travelling at 120mph impales him through the groin.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

FlapYoJacks posted:

The only thing on earth that matters if it closes is Waffle House.
Edit* LOL that the airport wasn't built to be a shelter. Where thousands of people are at any given time. What the gently caress?

The aristo

:capitalism:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

You can't go home and you can't stay here. :colbert:

That said, airports would make lousy loving shelters. The amount of food there is illusory and restocked daily - the entire building would be picked clean of every calorie within a day's time.

BIG HEADLINE has issued a correction as of 19:54 on Aug 28, 2023

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Rynn posted:

That’s if he’s not stuck in traffic with everyone else getting out of there

I don't think anyone's going to be leaving Tampa itself in large numbers as the storm appears to be hitting well north of it.

FlamingLiberal posted:

that’s an extremely bad idea and they are going to close the bridges I would imagine

He's already outside Tampa, he lives in one of the meth/opioid-addled suburbs north of it. Spring Hill I think? It sounded like the travel plan was to take I-75 north to Atlanta.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The wind at that point could be hurricane force.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

hifi posted:

I am glad my house was built almost 1100 feet above sea level

drat, that's a lot of stairs

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

FlamingLiberal posted:

The wind at that point could be hurricane force.

"Good thing I have an aerodynamic car!", he texted me just now. Clearly unconcerned.

Looks like the projections are for it to be about 110~ mph by landfall, decelerating to 65 mph over the course of the day.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

SKULL.GIF posted:

"Good thing I have an aerodynamic car!", he texted me just now. Clearly unconcerned.

Looks like the projections are for it to be about 110~ mph by landfall, decelerating to 65 mph over the course of the day.

rip

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/WxNB_/status/1696219156457152664
https://twitter.com/Miss_Stresss/status/1696107169307877381

Fuck You And Diebold has issued a correction as of 20:18 on Aug 28, 2023

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I would simply move to Good Gastein

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Bip Roberts posted:

and we're just about to prove it yet again

Should have given Tom Brady an ownership stake in the Bucs. Now you're doomed. Never count out Touchdown Tom.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You can't go home and you can't stay here. :colbert:

That said, airports would make lousy loving shelters. The amount of food there is illusory and restocked daily - the entire building would be picked clean of every calorie within a day's time.

Not dying immediately makes a better shelter than nothing.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

One could easily survive this if you aren't a popsicle stick dweeb

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

WaryWarren posted:

I don't understand. Don't you guys got like thousands of lakes up there? How tf do you have a drought?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

NeonPunk posted:

I don't understand. Don't you guys got like thousands of lakes up there? How tf do you have a drought?

It needs to actually rain to get the lake water onto the soil. The alternative is direct irrigation. It's been hot, dry, and windy for most of the past 3 months.

In fact now that I think of it, this is probably among some of the driest summers I can remember. We've had relatively few storms and nearly no mid-day cloudbursts that used to be really common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

RandolphCarter posted:

I would simply move to Good Gastein

Not sure there is such a thing as a good Fart Rock (translation by myself).