Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

webcams for christ posted:

still too much space

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/St...7hl_6?entry=ttu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Just saw a driver knock a guy off his scooter. Took a right turn through him like he wasn't even there and then drove off. The guy seemed fine, but his shoes went flying off, and I think his scooter got banged up.

the right hook is the cars most deadly weapon

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
had a close call with a left hook which might be worse with the added velocity when she cut me
off turning left

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The US has more than three times as many annual traffic deaths per capita as the Netherlands. Where's the loving nuance?

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017

Mister Speaker posted:

Cars and motorcycles don't even really have that level of utility.

Cars have the purpose of moving items and groups of people? don't get me wrong, I hate our (american) car centered culture and city planning but I also look down on people who are unable to drive in an emergency or even for like a move.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The US has more than three times as many annual traffic deaths per capita as the Netherlands. Where's the loving nuance?

American lives are worth at least three times as much as Dutch lives*

*Not all American lives though.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Fitzy Fitz posted:

if the normal street speed limit in the u.s. were 30 km/h drivers would simply begin murdering people in rage at a higher rate and it would eliminate all the gains in lives saved from the increased road safety. its called induced demand dummy

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I just wish your rants would mention that some rich enclaves in the US also enjoy a fraction of what you're talking about

(I'm sorry, I like Alan Fisher and I understand why he feels this way, but it's also OK for NJB to be openly mad and straight about these things)

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

BrownPepper posted:

Cars have the purpose of moving items and groups of people? don't get me wrong, I hate our (american) car centered culture and city planning but I also look down on people who are unable to drive in an emergency or even for like a move.

cars fulfill that purpose in the worst possible way, every other mode of transit is better at it and cars are completely unnecessary

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

BrownPepper posted:

I also look down on people who are unable to drive in an emergency or even for like a move.

interesting, tell us more about who you look down on

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

moved house w/o a car just the other day, AMA

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It is more that not every North American city is hopeless, Montreal has been making pretty massive improvements over time including bike lanes and pedestrian spaces. It is about the same size as Amsterdam as well in terms of population.

Portland and San Francisco have at least potential, it is more the local governments there are been extremely lackadaisical in the last few years. That said, San Francisco was pretty cool just to take public transportation and walk around in.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Ardennes posted:

It is more that not every North American city is hopeless, Montreal has been making pretty massive improvements over time including bike lanes and pedestrian spaces. It is about the same size as Amsterdam as well in terms of population.

Portland and San Francisco have at least potential, it is more the local governments there are been extremely lackadaisical in the last few years. That said, San Francisco was pretty cool just to take public transportation and walk around in.

Montreal is a European city though it doesnt count

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

webcams for christ posted:

personal motor vehicles of any kind, if allowed at all, should have severe noise pollution restrictions

They do they just don't enforce them. Like I have two small motorcycles that still have the quiet stock exhausts and they both have big warnings stamped into the mufflers that they meet legal requirements and removing or altering them is illegal

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Ardennes posted:

agreed. San Francisco's one of the better cities in the country for living without a car.

imo the challenges arise from local business interest groups (freaking out about parking spaces at the expense of literally everything else), the visible poverty and homelessness breaking peoples' brains, lack of operating funds, and interacting with the rest of the Bay Area where transportation is substantially worse and more car dependent

the real irritating part for me is people who live and work in SF who drive within the city. driving here is not pleasant! parking is a pain! people drive super aggressively! it's slower! but it means you don't have to interact with or perceive people who have suffered on behalf of the wealth inequality you feel guilty about. because these folks tend to be wealthier they also have an outsized influence on planning the built environment

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

eSports Chaebol posted:

Montreal is a European city though it doesnt count

Lmfao I wish

Although I did get punched by a macho French motorist yesterday so we may be trending that way

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

corona familiar posted:

agreed. San Francisco's one of the better cities in the country for living without a car.

imo the challenges arise from local business interest groups (freaking out about parking spaces at the expense of literally everything else), the visible poverty and homelessness breaking peoples' brains, lack of operating funds, and interacting with the rest of the Bay Area where transportation is substantially worse and more car dependent

the real irritating part for me is people who live and work in SF who drive within the city. driving here is not pleasant! parking is a pain! people drive super aggressively! it's slower! but it means you don't have to interact with or perceive people who have suffered on behalf of the wealth inequality you feel guilty about. because these folks tend to be wealthier they also have an outsized influence on planning the built environment

It is hard to say it is hopeless really it is just that poor choices are being made and it is reflecting on the quality of the life, more or less, the same with Portland and Seattle to some extent. The issue with North America is that while coastal cities still have infrastructure and will probably slowly recover from the funk they are in now, inland and sunbelt cities aren't really changing Montreal is probably the most "European" of North American cities but it is still very much North America including suburbs and car culture, it is just actively trying to address it with some success.

That said, as some one who grew up in LA, I would say Socal is just hopeless, the geography just allowed such laughable sprawl there is no way to fix it. It could be better, and it slowly is, but there are certain things like the mandatory nature of cars, incompetence, lack of shade, and the general layout of the place that just probably isn't going to be fix. Phoenix, Las Vegas, and Houston are probably in the same boat.

It is just NJB seems to hyper focus on rural Ontario which isn't even all of Canada. Amsterdam itself is good, but I don't know if its public transportation system is a real stand out versus other European cities, and I think they probably need to start giving more space for pedestrians and sidewalks to be honest. I don't know it is a utopia.

In the video he posted, he was gushing about protected crosswalks with a traffic island in a smaller Dutch cities...I mean even Portland is putting them in here and there. Portland is also getting more protected lanes and things are improving slowly even if the city is clearly suffering from a political crisis.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 22:21 on Aug 28, 2023

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44WjnCYFPpw

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Ardennes posted:

he was gushing about protected crosswalks with a traffic island in a smaller Dutch cities...I mean even Portland is putting them in here and there.
The entire point of the video is that "here and there" in Portland is the mandated design everywhere in NL.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

evil_bunnY posted:

The entire point of the video is that "here and there" in Portland is the mandated design everywhere in NL.

How does that jive with North America being hopeless rather than just behind?

In the video, he his mostly rambling about how North America only has strip malls and stroads, that a quiet residential street couldn't exist in North America... Sure, there are plenty of big box stores and everything in North America but it actually isn't the entire place.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 22:41 on Aug 28, 2023

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Ardennes posted:

How does that jive with North America being hopeless rather than just behind?
Because once you've seen what common sense looks like (basically your mandated design document is fuckcars.pdf) anything less looks so extraordinarily wasteful and cruel, and many areas just haven't even started improving. Or as you put it,

Ardennes posted:

it actually isn't the entire place.

On the other hand, It always seems impossible until it's done.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ardennes posted:

In the video he posted, he was gushing about protected crosswalks with a traffic island in a smaller Dutch cities...I mean even Portland is putting them in here and there. Portland is also getting more protected lanes and things are improving slowly even if the city is clearly suffering from a political crisis.
You're talking about his most recent video, right? Are you talking about the part where he was talking about how funny it was that he used to be impressed by basic things like that when he first moved?

Also iirc the point of that video was basically "even smaller towns have really good bike infrastructure in the Netherlands" so it seems like a complete misinterpretation to be like "no that's wrong because a couple major cities in north america have sort of okay bike infrastructure"

mystes has issued a correction as of 22:50 on Aug 28, 2023

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

mystes posted:

You're talking about his most recent video, right? Are you talking about the part where he was talking about how funny it was that he used to be impressed by basic things like that when he first moved?

Also iirc the point of that video was basically "even smaller towns have really good bike infrastructure in the Netherlands" so it seems like a complete misinterpretation to be like "no that's wrong because a couple major cities in north america have sort of okay bike infrastructure"

He keeps on making broad statements across the video to that effect, and honestly, there are no Canadian cities of about 150-200k with protected traffic islands in all of Canada? Quebec City prior to 2001 was about the same size, and I am pretty sure it had pedestrian spaces and probably even some cross walks and traffic islands.

To be honest, I think the Dutch cycling system is good and all but I don't know if the rest of the world if not even Europe is going to look like it either.

(Also, while the Dutch are real good at bikes. Their health care/public transportation costs/work life balance etc are kind of considered poor as far as Europe goes. I would say take the good from them, but maybe not make them a model.)

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 00:04 on Aug 29, 2023

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
well, the good news is that his beloved new home will be under water by 2100.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i rode 10k today as slow as possible to be safe at the numerous bottom of hill crosswalks and give myself the biggest hill climb challenge on my 1 speed. momentum is a crutch! need a comfier seat tho.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Real hurthling! posted:

i rode 10k today as slow as possible to be safe at the numerous bottom of hill crosswalks and give myself the biggest hill climb challenge on my 1 speed. momentum is a crutch! need a comfier seat tho.

Whenever I go for a ride with my wife I get out the fixie with ~2.8 gear ratio so I can get a good workout going her speed

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Mauser posted:

Whenever I go for a ride with my wife I get out the fixie with ~2.8 gear ratio so I can get a good workout going her speed

in the same vein, I try to stay in the small ring when biking with a novice. romantic partner has been getting into zwift so she is probably going to get a lot faster and im looking forward to breaking out the big chainring soon

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Dog Case posted:

They do they just don't enforce them. Like I have two small motorcycles that still have the quiet stock exhausts and they both have big warnings stamped into the mufflers that they meet legal requirements and removing or altering them is illegal

:byodood: LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
just put gps speed limiters in cars. It would be hilarious to see everyone raging at a mandated 25mph driving around town

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
loving motorcyclists will sit outside my apartment and just rev their loving engines while sitting in a parking space. It's obnoxious as gently caress.

Ham Equity has issued a correction as of 01:40 on Aug 29, 2023

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017
Cars should be usable on a permit basis.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

BrownPepper posted:

Cars should be usable on a permit basis.

dibs on issuing the permits

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

BrownPepper posted:

Cars should be unusable on a permanent basis.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

just let me take the dibs and youll get what you want dont tell the drivers

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/NYDailyNews/status/1696232207675801872?t=AyZIN2xT_mtBzs5myZ-gRw&s=19

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

huh. who’da thought.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
the surveillance state works

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Survey me, strong daddy Brandon!

unironically, let's get these speed cameras loving pervasive

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the thin CCTV line

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

even as a kid whenever we took the turnpike I was confused why they needed the cops to pull people over for speeding. you know the times the car entered and exited as well as the distance between the entrance and exit. calculate their average speed and send them a ticket if it was over the speed limit since by definition they had to have been going their average speed at least once. it'd catch everyone who didn't stop at a rest stop and even some who do. it'd be way harder to make surveillance arguments against doing that than you can make against the cameras, must be way they never did it it'd actually work and then highway cops couldn't harass minorities as much