Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bking
Dec 19, 2005

Comments: 206-495-6525

ilkhan posted:

Theres no RWD Model Y available in the US, just standard range, long range, and performance. All are dual motor / AWD.

Wow, holy poo poo. Things have changed a lot since I bought my 3 in 2018.

In that case: AWD LR is a better price than RWD everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

TheWevel posted:

If it were my money I’d get one of the low mileage BMW iX leases instead of the Lucid. BMW is cheaper and more likely to be around by the time the lease is over.

I already have a BMW I4, which is great, but more looking for a sedan instead of SUV for when the balloon payment comes due and I trade the BMW in in beginning of 2025. Just thinking ahead really, and since I'm in a bit of an advantageous spot right now with trade in value since I've only put 8000 miles on the BMW in 1.5 years and personal finances are doing good so Lucid was on the mind.

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022

bking posted:

My wife is getting ready to upgrade from her 2019 Bolt. It’s her first time getting into a new car with a little more available cash, so a big part of her motivation is getting something a little more fun before she has to eventually settle into some kind of SUV/mom-mobile.

We test drove a BMW i4 and an IONIQ 6 yesterday. The i4 was obviously a more luxurious ride, but it feels like BMW leaned a little too hard into making an EV that’s designed to not scare ICE people. IONIQ is obviously the flipside of that coin. The driving experience was fine, but the interior felt a lot cheaper.

Both of these test drives were done with only a base-level understanding of the pricing for the trim she’s looking for (heated seats and some level of ADAS are a must), and our conversation on the drive home assumed that there’d be a $5-8K difference between the two. When we priced things out, it was kind of shocking to see how close the MSRP of i4 and IONIQ were to each other.

i4 E40: $54,200
IONIQ 6: $53,925
Model Y RWD LR: $48,990

i4 is after a $7,500 discount promised by the dealer, MY is after the $7,500 tax incentive. There’s no known discounts for the IONIQ.

Model Y wasn’t even part of the conversation until we priced the things out. She’s torn now, trying to figure out if it’s worth $5,000ish to have a fancier car with less space and no access to Superchargers.

IONIQ owners: did you run into similar pricing comparisons? If so: wtf?

Not an ioniq owner but I did test drive it. It’s definitely not eligible for the 7500 federal rebate but around me I’m getting a ton of ads for 7500 discount on a lease if that’s interesting to you. I also seem to be targeted for 299/mo 5k down on the ioniq 6 ads.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

drhankmccoyphd posted:

Not an ioniq owner but I did test drive it. It’s definitely not eligible for the 7500 federal rebate but around me I’m getting a ton of ads for 7500 discount on a lease if that’s interesting to you. I also seem to be targeted for 299/mo 5k down on the ioniq 6 ads.

People are just leasing them and then immediately buying out the lease to get the $7500 discount.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

SlowBloke posted:

A ioniq 5 is 0,135 m longer than the legal standard for a parking space in Italy. It's not compact in any way, shape or form.

I was trying to figure out how italy is at all relevant to this conversation and I think what has happened is that euros have picked up the bad American habit of assuming that everyone is American. It's kind of cute (imitation is the sincerest form of flattery) but also kind of embarrassing, like when your 10 year old cousin starts swearing all the time because he hears you curse and imitates you as a role model.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Twerk from Home posted:

People are just leasing them and then immediately buying out the lease to get the $7500 discount.

I thought there was no discount for Hyundai EVs because they aren't sourced in the US or something? But they offer the discount on leases not outright purchases? What's the logic there?

bking
Dec 19, 2005

Comments: 206-495-6525
The BMW salesperson offered us a $7,500 discount on the i4 that has "nothing to do with the government". It seems like ineligible cars/dealers are finding a way to offer a similar feeling discount to discourage people from looking elsewhere.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Magic Underwear posted:

I was trying to figure out how italy is at all relevant to this conversation and I think what has happened is that euros have picked up the bad American habit of assuming that everyone is American. It's kind of cute (imitation is the sincerest form of flattery) but also kind of embarrassing, like when your 10 year old cousin starts swearing all the time because he hears you curse and imitates you as a role model.

It's more that i'm still crossed that Hyundai kept the measures under wrap when they launched it, so when it finally landed in dealer hands and i managed to see it, i learned that it would never fit in my park spot(and had to get a far less advanced one).

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

bking posted:

The BMW salesperson offered us a $7,500 discount on the i4 that has "nothing to do with the government". It seems like ineligible cars/dealers are finding a way to offer a similar feeling discount to discourage people from looking elsewhere.

I am looking at the local dealership now and they have an $8k discount listed for an iX xDrive50, and they have *47* iX's in stock, I'm kind of shocked.

e: oh it is a demo vehicle, but still that's a pretty good discount (almost 900km on it so far)

Maybe I should go test drive..

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

A Strange Aeon posted:

I thought there was no discount for Hyundai EVs because they aren't sourced in the US or something? But they offer the discount on leases not outright purchases? What's the logic there?

The discount restrictions do not apply to companies. So the dealer gets the $7500 and passes it on to move more cars.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

bking posted:

They're lying to you: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a44131850/leasing-an-ev-tax-credit/. Dealers get $7,500 for every EV they lease. If they don't give it to you, they are pocketing it:

quote:

In December, the U.S. Treasury Department issued its guidance on interpreting the new rules specified in the Inflation Reduction Act. Under law, Congress exempted "commercial" vehicles, a definition most often applied to medium- and heavy-duty trucks, from the domestic-content rules.

But, Treasury said, when a dealer buys a vehicle and leases it to a driver it's a commercial transaction, since the driver or end user does not take title of the vehicle. Instead, either the dealer or a finance company holding the lease retains ownership and receives the tax credit. The department accordingly defines leased EVs—but not purchased EVs—as "commercial" vehicles.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

priznat posted:

I am looking at the local dealership now and they have an $8k discount listed for an iX xDrive50, and they have *47* iX's in stock, I'm kind of shocked.

e: oh it is a demo vehicle, but still that's a pretty good discount (almost 900km on it so far)

Maybe I should go test drive..

Didn't you just order a volvo?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The discussion over smaller cars got me looking into the Volvo EX30 which looks like exactly what we want but also isn’t available for at least another year. I was surprised by the removal of the dashboard though. Do Tesla owners just get used to it? It seems maybe dangerous that your speedometer isn’t right in front of you and you have to instead look at the central screen.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

slidebite posted:

Didn't you just order a volvo?

Yeah, but it's a refundable deposit! Keeping options open.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

They're lying to you: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a44131850/leasing-an-ev-tax-credit/. Dealers get $7,500 for every EV they lease. If they don't give it to you, they are pocketing it:

It's not the dealership but the bank is the one claiming the tax credit and passing it on as a rebate. Typically that's the manufacturer finance arm, but for some like the Ford Mach-E where Ford doesn't you might be able to get the lease through a non-captive lender like Ally or US Bank who may.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Vegetable posted:

The Kona has a tiny reset button near its radio knob and beside its screen. We use the sharp corner of a USB plug to push it. It’s a godsend becaus my Kona’s infotainment system sometimes craps out. I posted here a year ago about how CarPlay — and by extension Google Maps — would die in the middle of a car ride, leaving me rudderless. It took me months to figure out that this button existed. It usually solves the problem.

Unrelatedly, I got a low tire pressure warning yesterday (28 to 30 psi in each tire). The UI was terrible. It sometimes showed a 30 PSI tire as low pressure and a 29 PSI tire as okay. The numbers kept fluctuating. And it auto-shifted my dashboard from the speed display to the alerts display. For a few seconds I wasn’t sure how fast I was driving.

Also our charging door got stuck again and we spent 15 minutes fixing it.

The small annoyances have been piling up and we’re now thinking about replacing the car. Although apart from the Bolt there isn’t anything so compact with 200mile+ range.

What year is it?

My 2017 Ioniq which has never had a single update and aside from some CarPlay glitchiness and no local maps for the built in nav everything works fine.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Vegetable posted:

The discussion over smaller cars got me looking into the Volvo EX30 which looks like exactly what we want but also isn’t available for at least another year. I was surprised by the removal of the dashboard though. Do Tesla owners just get used to it? It seems maybe dangerous that your speedometer isn’t right in front of you and you have to instead look at the central screen.

I think that dash-less cars designers rely on blind trust on ADAS. EX30 has speed limit sign OCR so it can auto adjust the speed(if in cruise mode) or start yelling at you(if in manual mode). Shame they didn't fit a HUD but I guess they don't want to cannibalize potential upmarket polestar sales.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
As someone who's never considered leasing, how does buying out a lease work right after you start the lease?

I understand buying the car at a set amount in the contract after the lease expires or turning it in, but how do you buy the car a week after leasing it?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
On Nissan's finance website you can request a quote to pay off the remaining value of the vehicle.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Vegetable posted:

You do get used to it. It's still not great, but it took me very little effort to adjust my muscle memory to glance at the speedometer.

The worse part is that when you do have to restart the infotainment, it's impacted too. I've had a lot of trouble with Apple Music locking up and not playing anything, and the only solution I've found is to just restart the whole computer by holding the two thumbwheels in for 5-10 seconds. It's safe enough to do while in motion, but you lose everything not related to movement: speed, navigation, music, and HVAC.

I'd still prefer a dedicated dash display and CarPlay, but it's otherwise functional enough.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

MrLogan posted:

As someone who's never considered leasing, how does buying out a lease work right after you start the lease?

I understand buying the car at a set amount in the contract after the lease expires or turning it in, but how do you buy the car a week after leasing it?

Once the bank has generated the account (may take a week or two after the purchase) you can get a payoff amount from them and they will take payment + tax via check.

You can use another bank to get a loan for the payoff as well if you need to.

The reason people usually don’t do this on leased vehicles is that it doesn’t make financial sense. But this $7500 lease only rebate changes the calculations.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

bking posted:

i4 E40: $54,200
IONIQ 6: $53,925
Model Y RWD LR: $48,990

Good grief, cars are expensive.

OP, Tesla initially positioned themselves as a luxury brand, but their long-term goal has always been to make cheapmobiles and get as many people as possible out of gas-powered cars. They aren't there yet, but don't be susprised if, in 10 more years, Tesla is one of the cheapest options available.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

MrLogan posted:

I just did this on my Ioniq 5 and it was pretty painless. Basically as soon as you get the lease set up and can log into the Hyundai finance website, you can get a payoff quote, and they pay the exact amount required to pay off, I had to do it in two payments because Hyundai had a maximum of 25k in a single payment. Then your lease transitions into a bought out state and they will request an odometer disclosure from you and then send you your title.

At least that's the idea, I still haven't gotten my title, they sent me a certificate that said they had removed the lien from my vehicle but apparently by buying it out immediately I actually kinda short circuited their system because the title hadn't gotten to them from the state yet. According to them I should get it "eventually".

In any case, doing the immediate lease buyout more or less comes out to being exactly the same as paying in cash, minus about a thousand dollars in lease origination fees or what have you, so effectively you pocket a 6.5k discount. It's not bad at all.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Also it's only worth buying out the lease immediately if doing so means the rent charges are waived which isn't always the case (sometimes just sum of remaining payments). Otherwise you might as well just keep it as a lease and optionally buyout at the end while having the advantages of not actually having a stake in the vehicle if it gets in an accident and/or is totaled.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
I also just did the lease buyout with an EV6. It went just like Talorat said with a couple minor differences, maybe Kia specific. I sent a cashier's check for the full amount and they had the title to me within a week so it was exactly 2 months from starting the lease to having it titled and registered in my name.

Just make sure you aren't in a state that lets dealers control your lease and that you won't have to pay sales tax twice. It also helps if you can find a dealer that's done it before because it takes some of the stress off.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

darnon posted:

Also it's only worth buying out the lease immediately if doing so means the rent charges are waived which isn't always the case (sometimes just sum of remaining payments). Otherwise you might as well just keep it as a lease and optionally buyout at the end while having the advantages of not actually having a stake in the vehicle if it gets in an accident and/or is totaled.

That's really why I did the weird Ford not-a-lease lease thing. My full intention is to keep my Mach-E for 8 years, if the value has completely tanked on it, Ford is on the hook for it and I give it back to them, if it hasn't I come out ahead, but it out and either sell it as a 1 owner, low mileage car, keep driving it, or my husband takes it.

Actually my entire plan was to buy an off lease Mach-E instead of a new one but COVID...

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Boots- I’ve booted the Polestar 2 a bunch trying to get Vivaldi browser to work, while driving it’s not a big deal you just lose the sound of blinkers and things for a 30 seconds.
3-5 times I’ve booted it to make google wake up, sometimes it just kind of takes a nap. Since most of my interface with the car is talking to it, I can tell really quick when google is unhappy with network or needs a boot.
Overall, a pretty minor inconvenience.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Three Olives posted:

That's really why I did the weird Ford not-a-lease lease thing.

What is this? Did you somehow get an 8-year lease?

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Ford Options. It's a 3- or 4-year reduced payment balloon financing. It's not technically a lease so you as the buyer still have the regular EV tax credit rules as if purchasing. There's a turn-in option if you don't want to buy but it sounds like there's a guaranteed residual value of sorts you need to meet. So if the trade-in value tanks it sounds like Ford gets off the hook and you need to make up the difference? Ford is kind of terrible at publishing the details of these things. It took me a while to decipher how they worked the Flex Buy program (which is a similar reduced payment not a lease thing) I used for my Maverick.

darnon fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 29, 2023

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

OldSenileGuy posted:

What is this? Did you somehow get an 8-year lease?

They did 1.9% 36-48 month loans with a ballon payment at the end and a guarantee that they will buy back your car at the outstanding ballon balance (Basically, lease like return requirements).

So it was basically a lease but the car is titled in your name so you get to pocket the $7,500. I did 4 years, so the ballon is like $19,000-ish - $7,500.

The car is almost certainly going to be worth more than $20k, sticking the $7,500 in a CD and will pay off the ballon with cash and an extended warranty, if for some crazy reason value just gets wiped out, I've got $20k down to put on my next car.

darnon posted:

Ford Options. It's a 3- or 4-year reduced payment balloon financing. It's not technically a lease so you as the buyer still have the regular EV tax credit rules as if purchasing. There's a turn-in option if you don't want to buy but it sounds like there's a guaranteed residual value of sorts you need to meet. So if the trade-in value tanks it sounds like Ford gets off the hook and you need to make up the difference?

Nope, opposite, if the value tanks, Ford eats it.

quote:

Renew: Replace with a new Ford or Lincoln.
Trade in or sell the vehicle to a third party and apply the proceeds to your remaining account balance. Any excess value after settling the account may be used as a down payment toward your new Ford or Lincoln.

Retain: Keep the vehicle.
Satisfy the account with Ford Credit by paying the final balloon payment and any remaining balance.

Return: Transfer ownership of the vehicle to Ford Credit.*
At the end of term, return your vehicle. An amount equal to the original scheduled final balloon payment will be applied toward the satisfaction of your last installment payment. The returned vehicle is subject to excess mileage charges, excess wear and use charges, unpaid payments, a $475 disposal fee and any other outstanding fees.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 29, 2023

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
So where did the “8 years” thing in your original post come from?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

OldSenileGuy posted:

So where did the “8 years” thing in your original post come from?

Oh, sorry, the Mach-E battery warranty is 8 years, same with my i3, not owning a EV out of battery warranty. Actually, for that matter, any warranty with modern cars. Not going to own the Mach-E without a Ford extended warranty.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
the wise man bowed his head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference in battery wear between slow charging & DC fast charging. you imbeciles. you loving morons"

https://insideevs.com/news/683961/fast-charging-vs-slow-charging-study-ev-range-degradation/

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

the wise man bowed his head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference in battery wear between slow charging & DC fast charging. you imbeciles. you loving morons"

https://insideevs.com/news/683961/fast-charging-vs-slow-charging-study-ev-range-degradation/

Well, that's interesting, but that's also Tesla. I'd like to see a similar study on the 2017 Nissan LEAF.

It'll probably say "the LEAF hates its own battery"

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022

cruft posted:

Well, that's interesting, but that's also Tesla. I'd like to see a similar study on the 2017 Nissan LEAF.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

cruft posted:

Its almost like Tesla knows how to make an EV battery last.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

ilkhan posted:

Its almost like Tesla knows how to make an EV battery last.

I mean, if the competition is the LEAF, this is not a difficult task. Add a fan that turns on when it's charging: blammo, you're doing better.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Wow, it sounds like I'm not the only one who hates Electrify America.

https://chargedevs.com/features/how...hanging-part-1/

quote:

Non-Tesla automakers have had it with EA. Initial hopes that EA would provide a new, large-scale, nationwide network of fast charging stations have now curdled into a desire to see EA out of the game altogether—with “lots of bad blood” directed at the VW Group as a whole.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

cruft posted:

Wow, it sounds like I'm not the only one who hates Electrify America.

https://chargedevs.com/features/how...hanging-part-1/

Any driver who has ever attempted to charge any EV hates Electrify America with a burning passion. They're incredible fuckups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

For a good time check out the PlugShare rating of the Walmart West Lebanon, NH EA station. There isn't a ton of fast charging on that corridor and it's the only EA station around. Pretty crucial for people going to Burlington or points north.