Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Part of his condescending discussion with my wife included saying the resealing process wouldn't work because of the hydraulic fluid spill, which sounds dubious on its own and, if at all true, I took to mean he just didn't want to pay for whatever the proper process would be to prep the surface before resealing.

He's right, you can't seal over that. Sealer won't bind to oils - spilled hydro fluid, the spot where land rover keeps leaking it's power steering fluid, etc. It won't even bind to fresh asphalt - it's got to be a couple years old.

It has to be cleaned first, which they should also be paying for. Professional remediation looks a lot like commercial degreasers and pressure washing. State DEP might have some things to say about how the runoff needs to be handled from this cleaning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Motronic posted:

He's right, you can't seal over that. Sealer won't bind to oils - spilled hydro fluid, the spot where land rover keeps leaking it's power steering fluid, etc. It won't even bind to fresh asphalt - it's got to be a couple years old.

It has to be cleaned first, which they should also be paying for. Professional remediation looks a lot like commercial degreasers and pressure washing. State DEP might have some things to say about how the runoff needs to be handled from this cleaning.

Would it be a different company doing the cleaning, or is that a service a reputable sealing company would offer?

Good question about the runoff bit. We don't have storm drains or sewer where we're at, so it would be going straight into a marsh or pond.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Would it be a different company doing the cleaning, or is that a service a reputable sealing company would offer?

Dunno how it works by you. Around here driveway sealing is done by 2 guys in a pickup truck with a trailer. The extent of the prep they can do is to string trim the edges and blow/sweep debris off before they start spraying. And considering the complexity of this cleanup job:

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Good question about the runoff bit. We don't have storm drains or sewer where we're at, so it would be going straight into a marsh or pond.

Oh holy poo poo. They are likely hosed for not taking care of that spill to begin with.

Just call the state DEP, give them the facts and timeline and wait for the fireworks. Or call the company and tell them to get their rear end in gear or you'll get eh DEP involved. They must have remediation/spill contractors if they're big enough to have a contract like that. They just don't want to have to pay them.

Etuni
Jun 28, 2006

What it lacks in substance, it makes up for in pretty colors

Incredible, thank you so much!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Also call the power company and let them know about their lovely contractors. At least here, the power co. really goes out of their way to keep the landowners their rights-of-way go through happy.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Motronic posted:

Dunno how it works by you. Around here driveway sealing is done by 2 guys in a pickup truck with a trailer. The extent of the prep they can do is to string trim the edges and blow/sweep debris off before they start spraying. And considering the complexity of this cleanup job:

Oh holy poo poo. They are likely hosed for not taking care of that spill to begin with.

Just call the state DEP, give them the facts and timeline and wait for the fireworks. Or call the company and tell them to get their rear end in gear or you'll get eh DEP involved. They must have remediation/spill contractors if they're big enough to have a contract like that. They just don't want to have to pay them.

:dudsmile:

Sure enough, MN 115.061 says it's my duty to notify the DNR unless it's <5 gallons of petroleum defined as follows:

MN 115C.02 posted:

(1) liquid petroleum products as defined in section 296A.01;
(2) new and used lubricating oils; and
(3) new and used hydraulic oils used in lifts to raise motor vehicles or farm equipment and for servicing or repairing motor vehicles or farm equipment.

1 and 2 are fuel and lubricants. 3 does mention hydraulic fluid, but this was not involved in motor vehicle repair and it's not farm equipment. Also I have no idea whether it was 5 gallons or not (almost sure it wasn't, but the trail does go waaaay into the street), and they state on their website they'd prefer over-reporting in cases where I'm unsure.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Also call the power company and let them know about their lovely contractors. At least here, the power co. really goes out of their way to keep the landowners their rights-of-way go through happy.

It is worth a shot, although ours hasn't shown a ton of concern about keeping us happy. Our initial irritation about this was because the power company didn't give us any warning that the tree trimmers were coming, and they scared the poo poo out of my wife pounding on the door at 9:30AM after she worked an overnight shift. I understand that's part of the danger of working an off-shift, but they were knocking like they were there to serve a warrant.

When the tree trimming supervisor showed up to apologize to my wife he told us to work directly with him because the power company is just going to forward him the bill anyway. Obviously that benefits him because then there isn't any record of it.

After the discussion here I'm thinking send him an email asking what remediation service will be dealing with the issue while making it clear any answer other than a company name and date means contacting the power company and DNR.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Are most full window replacements then not necessary? What would necessitate full replacement of a double pane single/double hung window outside of wanting more modern/smooth hardware?

Please someone step in here if I'm wrong, but I'm almost certain that the biggest reason people replace their windows is energy savings. Modern windows (think thermopane/insulated windows with gas sealed between two panes) are far more energy effecient than single-pane windows (I'd imagine modern frames are also more effecient, especially compared to windows with metal frames).

Disclaimer: not a pro, but spent a few years repairing windows and screens, and worked on a couple installs as a subcontractor. Information in this post may be dumb.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

yes, also double paned is quieter

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Blowjob Overtime posted:

:dudsmile:
After the discussion here I'm thinking send him an email asking what remediation service will be dealing with the issue while making it clear any answer other than a company name and date means contacting the power company and DNR.

IMO, tell the DNR anyway. Hazardous material was spilled on your property by a third party. You can make mention to them that the tree trimming company tried something, but that's not really on you. If they were actually responsible, they wouldn't try to keep it off the record. And are they doing that because they have a spotless record and don't want to sully it (lovely) or do they have many complaints on record already and want to avoid further penalties and fines (also lovely). The first "fix" didn't do anything positive, and if that's all they can think to do on their own, they need to get pros in there.

Tell the power company too. It's not their fault that the spill happened, but they need to know that the company they are contracting out is causing a headache for the customers.

You are a wronged party here. This is not a shithead-Karen situation where you tried to use an expired coupon or someone forgot the unicorn sprinkles on your morning frappe. Your property was damaged, and the steps to address it have been lacking, probably because the other party doesn't want to get in trouble with someone with real authority. I'm not suggesting a social media blitz, but make these people take responsibility. Someone is going to get bitten in the rear end at the end of this, and if you don't take proper steps, it might be you.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DNR/DEP is the right way to go, as they are the ones with the teeth who can make these things happen in most states. And as the first reporter/property owner you won't be fighting an uphill battle to control the story which could be anything from the truth to "it was like this when we got here".

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I'm fixing (I hope) to paint our shower room. I have no idea what the old paint is, but it's a good bet that at least some of the layers are lead paint, so I'll definitely be putting on a new coat rather than sanding. Before anybody suggests it, I am waaaaaaay too lazy to have 1/4" drywall put up.

Does anybody have guesses about what this might originally have been textured with? Again, I have no intention of disturbing whatever it is, I'm just curious.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

It's a spackle coat.

You ever try compounding joints when you suck at trowelling compound onto drywall joints?

This is what you end up with: the 60s-70's version of "shabby chic"

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

It's called "knockdown" out there. And it's terrible. There are about three people who know how to finish drywall properly west of the rockies. The rest put knockdown on the walls and popcorn on the ceilings.

Like all spackle, as soon as you paint it you're gonna have problems sanding.

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005
Question about hardwood floors I'm not sure belongs in the woodworking thread: I just pulled up carpet in my house to reveal wood floors that are pretty-good-but-not-great shape and wondering if there's something other than completely refinishing them to make them look better. The only issues are a few high traffic spots that show a lot of wear, and some small gauges where the carpet was stapled in. They also feel.... weird (grimy? rough? tacky?) due to being covered for so long.

Anyway to breathe some life into them without a complete refinish?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Motronic posted:

It's called "knockdown" out there. And it's terrible. There are about three people who know how to finish drywall properly west of the rockies.
And two of them are dead.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Immolat1on posted:

Question about hardwood floors I'm not sure belongs in the woodworking thread: I just pulled up carpet in my house to reveal wood floors that are pretty-good-but-not-great shape and wondering if there's something other than completely refinishing them to make them look better. The only issues are a few high traffic spots that show a lot of wear, and some small gauges where the carpet was stapled in. They also feel.... weird (grimy? rough? tacky?) due to being covered for so long.

It depends on what they're already finished with. My mom's old place had old school heart of pine floors that were only finished with beeswax, so refreshing them was just cleaning and then applying more wax.
However, if there's any kind of film finish like polyurethane, getting a patch of finish to match the old finish can be quite difficult (maybe impossible), something I'd say is a job for the pros. If there's stain that's another complication, matching an old stain can be very hard.

You might have some carpet glue or just general gunk all over the floor, and you'll want to clean that up completely before applying any kind of finish or refinish. If you decide to sand down the whole floor, pre-cleaning is less necessary (a drum sander will just go right through anything) but maybe should still be done just to keep things as controlled and tidy as possible.

As a second complicating factor, if those floors have already been sanded and refinished multiple times they could be getting thin. How old is your house? You might be able to see how thick the floor boards are (and how they were originally finished) by prying off baseboard around the edge of the room so you can see the ends of the planks.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Aug 30, 2023

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

CzarChasm posted:

You are a wronged party here. This is not a shithead-Karen situation where you tried to use an expired coupon or someone forgot the unicorn sprinkles on your morning frappe. Your property was damaged, and the steps to address it have been lacking, probably because the other party doesn't want to get in trouble with someone with real authority. I'm not suggesting a social media blitz, but make these people take responsibility. Someone is going to get bitten in the rear end at the end of this, and if you don't take proper steps, it might be you.

This is the part I was warring with internally, and you pretty well captured every one of my concerns. My knee-jerk feeling is it's Karen poo poo bitching about people doing their job near us, but the spill was the cherry on top of multiple bad experiences with them (at one point they had an F150 parked on our single-car-width driveway, and when my wife was in her car trying to leave for work they told her it would just be a couple of minutes).

There are about three different agencies who are interested in spill stuff, but after digging online a bit I left a voicemail for the pollution control non-emergency spill reporting. I'll probably have my wife call the power company since she's the one who dealt with the tree guys directly and already has one complaint lodged for this experience.

e: Pollution control called me back and forwarded me to the duty officer who made a report. There was some confusion about exactly who did it and whose property it was on because of the whole easement and contractor thing, but we got there eventually.

Blowjob Overtime fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 30, 2023

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

You might be able to see how thick the floor boards are (and how they were originally finished) by prying off baseboard around the edge of the room so you can see the ends of the planks.
If you have any lift-out floor vents that's a good spot to see wooden plank thickness (maybe less likely to show old finish there though) without prying baseboard.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Motronic posted:

It's called "knockdown" out there. And it's terrible. There are about three people who know how to finish drywall properly west of the rockies. The rest put knockdown on the walls and popcorn on the ceilings.

Like all spackle, as soon as you paint it you're gonna have problems sanding.

Eh, I wouldn't call that knockdown, at least not here. That texture pattern is way too big at least to my eyes. I would say it is skip-trowel, and is horrible to match well if you need to patch.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ROJO posted:

Eh, I wouldn't call that knockdown, at least not here. That texture pattern is way too big at least to my eyes. I would say it is skip-trowel, and is horrible to match well if you need to patch.

Skip trowel is a specific type of knockdown texture. Knockdown is anything that you "knock down" with a trowel after applying. Are you mistaking this term for "splatter" texture - where you spray on popcorn and then knock it down maybe?

The other common knockdown I know is uh.....I don't remember the name. You thin out mud a LOT and then put it on with rough paint roller and hit it with a brush then knock it down. I think it might be called stomp.

All of these textures look like "I couldn't find a skilled worker" to me, but I come from the northeast, a land that used to be artisans perfecting plaster finishes.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 30, 2023

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Motronic posted:

Skip trowel is a specific type of knockdown texture. Knockdown is anything that you "knock down" with a trowel after applying. Are you mistaking this term for "splatter" texture - where you spray on popcorn and then knock it down maybe?

The other common knockdown I know is uh.....I don't remember the name. You thin out mud a LOT and then put it on with rough paint roller and hit it with a brush then knock it down. I think it might be called stomp.

All of these textures look like "I couldn't find a skilled worker" to me, but I come from the northeast, a land that used to be artisans perfecting plaster finishes.

Eh, that's not how skip trowel works though? Skip trowel is a bit of sand (usually) in with the thinned out joint compound to give your trowel a bit of chatter as you apply. It isn't an applied texture that you then knockdown - at least not in my experience.

guessing this can be chalked up to regional differences in nomenclature (I come from land of stick framing, drywall, and inevitable seismic cracking)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yeah, I think we're deep into regional nomenclature differences at this point.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Luckily there is an encyclopedic, terribly designed website with more info about drywall textures than anyone ever wanted:
https://drywall101.com/en/articles/drywall_texture

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Luckily there is an encyclopedic, terribly designed website with more info about drywall textures than anyone ever wanted:
https://drywall101.com/en/articles/drywall_texture

I'm the trowel stomp knockdown.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

There are about three people who know how to finish drywall properly west of the rockies.

When I did my guest house, I wanted walls that match the rest of the interior of the main house, which are plaster on rock lath, with a skip trowel finish-- a cousin to, but not quite knockdown. My GC found the only company in town who knew what plaster is, and rock lath not being a thing I just wanted blueboard with a finish coat and then the texture. Hoo boy did they barely meet bare minimum competency and it looks passable, mostly because it's a separate structure.

I'm in the midst of planning an addition where one of the rooms will have two old walls and two new ones and I'm dreading how the finishing will go.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Immolat1on posted:

Well, start by mopping it. Get all of the carpet padding gunk off of them and start from there.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Motronic posted:

I'm the trowel stomp knockdown.

Sounds like a '60s dance.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Sounds like a '60s dance.

The meter is almost exactly the same as Boot Scootin' Boogie - Country Line dancin' my friend

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005

Thanks all! I have tried to thoroughly mop them to remove the "tackiness" but its definitely still there. My house was built in 1927, so I'll definitely check how much thickness is left. No floor vents but there's a gap around the edges I should be able to gauge. Even though the floors are OLD I believe there's definitely some polyurethane finish on them so I'm sure they've been redone in the past before the carpet went down.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I have a Frigidaire dishwasher that just started acting weird this morning. It's somewhere around 10 years old (guessing. It was here when we moved in).

Usually when starting, I will hear water enter the tub, and then after maybe a minute the motors will kick on. I went to start it like normal this morning and it made a kind of chugga-chugga noise for 30 seconds, then did nothing/went silent. I didn't notice at first, but after a few minutes realized that things were quiet. I opened the door and everything looked normal. Pressed the start button again, same chugga-chugga noise then nothing. Repeat 3 or 4 more times, and then eventually it started like normal. I haven't been back home yet to check and make sure that the cycle completed, but will be going at lunch to check it out and see how things look.

It might have done this once or twice in the past, but I might have chalked that up to hitting the button and heading out the door right away.

If this is something where the machine needs to be replaced, I have heard that Bosch dishwashers are highly recommended, and worth the roughly double price tag. Is that accurate?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That sounds a lot like what is typically a very simple repair on most units, the water inlet solenoid.

The model number should be somewhere on the door/in the jamb on the tub. Put it in here and take a look: https://www.appliancepartspros.com/

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Motronic posted:

That sounds a lot like what is typically a very simple repair on most units, the water inlet solenoid.

The model number should be somewhere on the door/in the jamb on the tub. Put it in here and take a look: https://www.appliancepartspros.com/

Thank you, I'll check that out, enter model number when I get home. Just to be sure, I did a quick look, and I see Water Inlet valve, but nothing for solenoid. I imagine the solenoid is part of the valve, and it's all one piece?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Just a nomenclature difference. Same part and yes, it's most likely a valve and solenoid assembly that come together. It is for LG and Bosch anyway.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

before you do even that: diswashers have basically a food grinder thingy at the bottom that can get clogged up and if something got stuck in it it might go chugga chugga and refuse to turn. Just you know, take the bottom rack out and poke around in the holes in the bottom of the tub and see if anything's stuck or clogged? A clog that took some oomph to cut through might be clear now, though.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I'm looking for a good guide on making a cross brace for deck stairs that are 10 feet high. Almost all of what I'm finding is for smaller things like workbenches and tables.
I assume it's pretty much the same, but want to make sure I'm not missing anything when it comes to a larger object that's going to be supporting people.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

its all nice on rice posted:

I'm looking for a good guide on making a cross brace for deck stairs that are 10 feet high. Almost all of what I'm finding is for smaller things like workbenches and tables.
I assume it's pretty much the same, but want to make sure I'm not missing anything when it comes to a larger object that's going to be supporting people.

Why are you looking places that would even mention a work bench or a table? Have you tried something like you local building codes? Did you pull a permit for this?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Motronic posted:

Why are you looking places that would even mention a work bench or a table? Have you tried something like you local building codes? Did you pull a permit for this?

I'm not building an addition to my home. The deck was there when we bought the house. The inspector said "It's structurally sound, but you should put an x-brace on the rear support posts because there's too much movement at the top of the stairs. There are a few different methods, but they're easy to build yourself and install if you have the tools."
I've been searching for plans/guides and most of what I've found is in reference to stuff like I mentioned.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I don't think any of us are gonna be willing to give specific advice without photos. Even then, I'd be a bit reluctant to gently caress around with advising someone about how to make their deck more stable.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I don't think any of us are gonna be willing to give specific advice without photos. Even then, I'd be a bit reluctant to gently caress around with advising someone about how to make their deck more stable.

Understandable, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I have a wasp nest in my barbecue. What do I do???

All the articles I googled were just recursive ai garbage that described bees turning your barbecue into their kingdom and poo poo. I would like to not use insecticide if that’s possible.