Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's funny to see someone in his position have his unfiltered opinions aired like that but I can't say I hate his takes. If you want a comicbook purist's opinion of Batman '89 I would expect something like that. Burton and Keaton were not exactly putting O'Neil & Adams Batman up on the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't know about the rest of the soundtrack but the Batman theme kicks rear end.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
we have to get this guy fired now somebody get jack posobiec on the phone

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Nobody want to hear about or cares about 12 year old tweets from James Gunn. And if they do, well they can go find them elsewhere. We've done that dance before. So he didn't like the the Burton Batman? Who cares?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Just to remind people, these texts are from way before even GOTG. Gunn's most recent film in 2011 was Super.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Imagine giving a poo poo

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
okay, but his post about nicolson joker just being nicholson in clown makeup is 100% on point. Everything else is bad and wrong tho

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

89 wasn't for me either. Just didn't resonate. Too of its time or something, between Arliss and the art museum and Batman just having a perforated cowl remover in case a girl came over. It's fine but it's not my favorite. I prefer Returns a bunch.

Also just saw Flash and part of what was wrong here is Ezra Miller's "comedy teen" voice sounds like a fuckin' Paulie Shore impression.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
I saw Returns first as a kid and it really colored my view of 89 to always view it as a less ambitious and less refined prequel. No matter how many times I try to watch it, it just doesn't hit for me. Didn't help things that Basinger was no retroactive substitute for Pfeiffer in any way.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Joe Fisto posted:

The people who hate Gunn (Snyder fans) are insane. That’s all. End of story. No need to think about it any longer.

I like Snyder's movies AND I like Gunn.

Checkmate.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Imagine giving a poo poo

No, but now we're never going to see Tim Burton make another Batman movie starring Michael Keaton!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Wasn't there actually supposed to be a planned new Keaton Batman movie that was cancelled recently?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Wasn't there actually supposed to be a planned new Keaton Batman movie that was cancelled recently?

He was supposed to be part of Batgirl.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Keaton was in the shelved Batgirl movie.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I forgot about Batgirl too.

Google says there was a planned Batman Beyond movie and several cameos in other movies that were scrapped, so not a new solo movie, but a co-star role and lot of other Keaton appearances.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Google says there was a planned Batman Beyond movie

This has only ever been a rumor and fan wishcasting.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Timby posted:

This has only ever been a rumor and fan wishcasting.

I'm casting that wish really hard though

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
i like batman 89 and jimmy gunn still, i don't care

the current dcu sucks rear end, im glad he's getting a crack at making one not suck rear end

james gunn makes bangers, i'm excited to see what he comes up with for superman legacy and where new batman goes

e: i will say that batman 89 probably was awfully alienating to batman comics fans at the time and that them still having that opinion makes sense. i was young enough that batman 89 was my first theater experience that i barely remember, so i didn't care about the changes it made to the mythos or the respect it had for the source material. it is wonky rewriting the batman origin and having keaton hang upside down to sleep and all manner of things. but it IS a fun movie.

and also the music slaps. he's just wrong on that one.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 28, 2023

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It's funny that this is the big conspiracy theory when the two major parts, cancelling Batgirl and The Flash's story, both have nothing to do with Gunn

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Also, FWIW, if you were a(an adult aged) comic book fan in 1988, and you heard that Michael Keaton was going to be playing Batman, the world was topsy-turvy. Because Keaton was known at the time for his comedy movies, like Gung-Ho and Mr. Mom and Beetlejuice and Johnny Dangerously.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Which was silly because of course the last time Burton gave a poo poo about Batman was when the titles of the two parter episodes still rhymed. Honestly the best thing about Batman 89 is that it doesn't star Johnny Depp playing Bruce Wayne in the style of Adam West viewed through the lens of Ray Bolger or something.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

CzarChasm posted:

Also, FWIW, if you were a(an adult aged) comic book fan in 1988, and you heard that Michael Keaton was going to be playing Batman, the world was topsy-turvy. Because Keaton was known at the time for his comedy movies, like Gung-Ho and Mr. Mom and Beetlejuice and Johnny Dangerously.

We went through this with Ledger as Joker too.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Codependent Poster posted:

We went through this with Ledger as Joker too.

Yeah, at that point Ledger was known for A Knight's Tale and Brokeback Mountain, and so the "I wish I could quit you, Batman" jokes were loving everywhere when his casting was announced.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Batman '89 was awesome at the time. Returns was better but that was to be expected.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Google says there was a planned Batman Beyond movie and several cameos in other movies that were scrapped, so not a new solo movie, but a co-star role and lot of other Keaton appearances.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think anyone knows what to do with Beyond anymore. All of the Beyond comics I've read over the past few years haven't been good. I haven't seen anything good in the Beyond timeline since the Return of the Joker movie.

Maybe it's best to just enjoy the show and leave it alone.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Darth Brooks posted:

Batman '89 was awesome at the time. Returns was better but that was to be expected.

I have always said that Batman '89 is a very good Batman movie that happened to be directed by Tim Burton. Returns is an excellent Tim Burton movie that just so happens to occasionally feature Batman. (Seriously, after the opening with the Red Triangle Circus Gang, Batman doesn't show up for another 45 - 50 minutes.)

Joe Fisto posted:

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think anyone knows what to do with Beyond anymore. All of the Beyond comics I've read over the past few years haven't been good. I haven't seen anything good in the Beyond timeline since the Return of the Joker movie.

I feel like people grossly over-estimate just how much cultural impact Beyond actually had. It was a wildly uneven show that few people ever watched, and even Return of the Joker is a hot mess outside of the flashback sequence.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Nah, Return of the Joker is great all the way through.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Batman Beyond is a pretty cool image of what people imagined the future looked like before social media and smartphones ruined everything

I think the TV show is pretty great straight through with the exception of the Kobra episodes. None of those were any good.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Joe Fisto posted:

I mean you could say "no one knows what to do with [X] anymore" about a lot of comic properties, and you might even be right, but it doesn't mean it can't be done. Hell, all Spider-Man fans do is complain about Spider-Man comics, but it ain't stopping Spider-Man movies from getting made.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

TwoPair posted:

I mean you could say "no one knows what to do with [X] anymore" about a lot of comic properties, and you might even be right, but it doesn't mean it can't be done. Hell, all Spider-Man fans do is complain about Spider-Man comics, but it ain't stopping Spider-Man movies from getting made.

This is true. I can though recall reading comics from other characters that have gotten movies where the comics were good. I can't recall a good Beyond comic.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

While I disagree with his Batman 89’ opinions from twelve years ago, everything he’s said recently about Batman (and Robin), and Superman has had me excited to see what he’ll do with those characters.

Snyderbros just really want anything to point at as evidence that Gunn will make bad DC movies.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Codependent Poster posted:

Nah, Return of the Joker is great all the way through.

Yeah, Return of the Joker is really good and you get some amazing episodes like 'Dead Man's Hand' which are up there with anything in the DCAU.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, Return of the Joker is really good and you get some amazing episodes like 'Dead Man's Hand' which are up there with anything in the DCAU.

Return of the Joker has, like, three good sequences: The ending with Terry laughing at the Joker, the flashback, and the bit where Terry discovers Bruce and Ace poisoned.

Everything else around it, with Terry, is just a slog.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The Batfamily's made Beyond superfluous and that's the direction Gunn's going with his Batman. Which is too bad because Beyond's villains had potential.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
April Moon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AEwFhB9WTk

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Darth Brooks posted:

I think Returns is way worse. No one has a coherent motivation, both villains just change sides and what they want at random so poo poo just kind of happens arbitrarily, most of Walken's plot was cut from the movie so he's hanging out doing not much of anything, and Michael Keaton spends 90% of the movie either delivering dialogue in a flat, I-don't-actually-want-to-be-here way or taking his glasses off and looking concerned at a TV screen.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Blockhouse posted:

I think Returns is way worse. No one has a coherent motivation, both villains just change sides and what they want at random so poo poo just kind of happens arbitrarily, most of Walken's plot was cut from the movie so he's hanging out doing not much of anything, and Michael Keaton spends 90% of the movie either delivering dialogue in a flat, I-don't-actually-want-to-be-here way or taking his glasses off and looking concerned at a TV screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QPJoRWz8Sc

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Blockhouse posted:

Returns is a weird beast for me. I know a lot of people like it more than 89 but 89 felt more like a restrained Burton which means he couldn't get too weird and Returns feels like Burton going too weird for his own good. I prefer 89 personally. I know that Burton was never a Batman fan and I don't think he even read Batman comics and it really shows, but there is enough of a good storyline and performance and he isn't going too crazy so it feels more focused than Returns. Returns had great performances but it just felt like each character was trying to ham it up too much and Burton was thinking "how kooky....I love it" way too much.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Some random news and a rumor:

- The Marvels will be the shortest MCU movie with a runtime of 1 hour and 37 minutes.

- The Marvels will now debut in IMAX theaters after Dune 2 was delayed by WB and Disney took the slots.

- Chris McKenna and (co-writer for all three previous MCU Spider-Man movies and Community) and Erik Sommers (co-writer for all three previous MCU Spider-Man movies, Ant-Man and the Wasp, and American Dad) are the writers for Spider-Man 4 and had a nearly completed script finished pre-strike. Leaked set photos from Daredevil seem to confirm rumors that the plot revolves around street-level threats after Wilson Fisk becomes Mayor of NYC..

- The unannounced movie right before the Kang Dynasty is likely to be Doctor Strange 3. It will be loosely based on the 2014-2015 Doctor Strange comic arc "Time Runs Out."

- Grain of salt rumor: The specific way they are adapting "Time Runs Out" is that (spoilered just in case - it is a rumor from a site that has gotten correct leaks before, but take this entirely with a grain of salt) Doctor Strange and Kang are leading opposing teams of supervillains to fight over the multiverse and everyone else is stuck in the middle. Kang actually wants to save the other multiverses to secure permanent peace as a multiversal benevolent dictator/conqueror and Doctor Strange decides that the only way to permanently save his universe is to destroy the other multiverses because variants of himself in other universes came to the same conclusion and are planning to save their universes by destroying the others. This is foreshadowed by every version of himself in Multiverse of Madness eventually using the Darkhold because they are willing to do anything to save their universe.

It would be an interesting twist on the adaptation. The stuff with Clea and the Black Priests was already set up in MoM. Seems way too specific to be entirely legit, but I actually like the idea.

https://www.comicbasics.com/the-marvels-rumored-runtime-indicates-it-as-the-shortest-mcu-movie-yet/
https://m.imdb.com/news/ni64197588/?ref_=nws_nwr_li
https://maxblizz.com/tom-hollands-spider-man-4-script-completed-by-chris-mckenna-and-erik-sommers-before-the-wga-and-sag-aftra-strikes/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm definitely into a sub-2 hour popcorn flick.