Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Danann posted:

should've pitched a five year plan written by someone named Ioseb Jughashvili instead

:argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

samogonka posted:

To be fair, I've seen IT projects on the other spectrum, where the Programmers got all the say. The result was comparable to Homer's dream car.

yeah same in mechanical engineering, a lot of engineers either focus on the wrong poo poo or simply dont know when to stop. Great you made this feature nobody cares about 0.3% better? No one cares

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

KomradeX posted:

The Horst Wesel March is a traditional Ukrianian ballad

i can still hear that in midi form from playing wolfenstein 3d.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

Commercial airline pilots have to speak English, right? So, uh... what happened to all those guys?

they were smart and flew out of the country

also, soviet military hardware all uses russian instruments, km/h for speed, meters/km for altitude, etc. it's rather incompatible with commercial aviation

which makes me wonder, with the empire finally dying, maybe we'll finally get sane aviation standardization. until US started dominating air traffic after ww2, the only people using knots/mph/feets were the anglos lol

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Orange Devil posted:

For over a year I pitched taking a year to work on getting rid of technical debt (pretty good estimation of actually required time) and not delivering anything new until local management finally caved and gave us 1 month: August, when most people (read: HQ management) were on holiday anyway. Then they complained we hadn't gotten rid of all the technical debt yet.

Meanwhile about a full week out of every 4 or 5 would be spent on emergency troubleshooting as the system stopped working, regularly literally as users were standing in stores trying to finalize a sale with a customer.

The whole thing was like version 5 of minimum viable product plastered over minimum viable product and nobody ever going back to clean up any of the code. All management cared about was rollout to as many countries and stores as possible. That it literally didn't work at all for like 5-10% of the time was purely our fault and had nothing to do with their idiot roadmaps and deadlines.

The thing that SRE people at Google figured out is how to sell this kind of stuff to clueless management types, and it's by speaking their language: Metrics, charts, objectives and key results! For this particular problem the solution is called "Error budgets" (described somewhere here in the SRE book), which if implemented correctly give you the ability to show up to management with actual charts and numbers and say "here's what your current balance of innovation over reliability is costing us".

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Nonsense posted:

Mao also said steel could be processed from scrap metal and bone meal.

well heck, people make mistakes. that's why pencils have erasers!

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

#МОНТЯН! posted:

​Ze-PR, senseless and merciless 🤡

Zelebobus gave a long interview to the 1+1 TV channel, in which, among other things, he said that he proposed to the Rada to equate corruption in wartime with treason. According to the idea of the authors of the creative, this should make Ukrainian citizens impressed and believe that Vovochka is really against corruption and intends to fight it hard. Fortunately, under the influence of the telethon, not everyone's brains have turned into plasticine yet, and those who managed to avoid this fate understand that this is all, as they say in Odessa, rotten show-offs for visitors. 🥱

The Criminal Code of Ukraine already provides for a fairly harsh punishment for corruption: for example, for receiving a bribe in the equivalent of more than 17 thousand. $ or for receiving it by a person in a particularly responsible position, up to 12 years in prison are provided (part 4, p. 368 of the Criminal Code). For treason, even in wartime, "shines" up to 15 years — well, or life for those who have distinguished themselves. 😏

That is, according to Zelensky's logic, a potential bribe taker should say to the one offering him a cutlet of bucks something like this: "No, friend, I'm sorry. I would have risked twelve years on state—owned grub, but now they give me fifteen for it - so I don't agree!". 😂

In fact, the number of people who have received the same 12 years or even close to it in Ukraine is vanishingly small. It is not customary to put people in jail for corruption in Saloreich, because the investigation of these crimes has long turned into a lever of pressure on officials in the hands of Americans. Now #Zelebobus is going to squeeze the anti-corruption baton from the Americans into his pocket SBU in one fell swoop and independently decide which cases to investigate and which to bury.

I doubt that his Western sponsors will like it, and the piglets are already calling for a complete cessation of financial assistance to Saloreikh in the event of the adoption of this norm. But here, as they say, "bachili ochi, scho kupuvali — yzhte, want to climb." 🤷‍♀️

★ Channel #MONTYAN!
★ #MONTYAN! uncut
★ All channels #MONTIAN!

(from t.me/montyan2/6036, via tgsa)

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Lostconfused posted:

Why does that poo poo have so many views and why is google promoting it?

I blame fromsoftware lore nerds who get millions of views speaking slowly over game footage about how deep the LORE is.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

HallelujahLee posted:

Lol a car channel

Yeah the one im referring to is the kingsandgenerals guy so pre 2021
at least some of them were total war nerds. It was sweet watching people make time commanders style stuff and upload it on youtube

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

samogonka posted:

To be fair, I've seen IT projects on the other spectrum, where the Programmers got all the say. The result was comparable to Homer's dream car.

I'm sorta in the middle in my current situation, where I understand what both the (other) programmers and our non-programmer boss wants, and while I generally think the programmers are *more* correct, there's some stuff that just kind of baffles me.

Like this one guy has been doing this really cool stuff with storing a bunch of our metadata (that is currently stored in an extremely stupid way in an SQL DB) in RDF, and it was in a state where it could have been adopted in a useful way into our website months ago. He's still doing a bunch of stuff, writing *way* more code than I write, but the users are seeing none of this.
Or they'll write some really impressive code server-side, but the interface will be very bad looking, and the reasoning will be something like "wanting to avoid javascript so it works with javascript disabled." And that's fine, but if you're going to do that you need to reproduce the functionality users expect without javascript! They're not going to be okay with some barebones table containing just a couple human-unreadable IDs and some JSON.

It's basically the downside to being "a programmer who actually likes programming" - they think there's inherent value to how the code is written, when none of this matters if the users aren't benefiting. The flipside is that my non-programmer boss (or our data entry guy who makes me look like a coding genius in comparison) will frequently not comprehend why stuff is important in the first place (like a recent thing where we had to convince our boss that it's actually important to keep a history of edits to data), but this is rarely a problem because my boss generally defers to the programmers after whining a bunch (which is more a good thing than a bad thing, at least).

There's also a separate issue where I'm increasingly getting the sense that talented programmers have a very different idea of what "easy to understand code" means. For me, as a lovely programmer, the easiest to understand code is code where you can directly see how data is passed around and modified and read it almost like a book. A for loop is easier for me to read than a lambda function, because I can clearly see what's happening to the data at every point (while I need to "translate" the lambda function). But our other remote programmers, who are far better programmers than I am, make heavy use of stuff like (for a recent example) the python "reduce" function. I can technically understand code like that, but it's difficult for me. It's like trying to understand a math equation, as opposed to understanding written prose. I have to "solve" the code, instead of being able to simply read it, and it's difficult for me to incorporate that code into my "bigger picture" understanding of what's happening (so even once I understand what's happening, I'll have to spend another hour or two re-learning it next time I encounter that code). As a result, debugging this code is difficult and takes me far longer than debugging the older lovely code. This wouldn't normally be an issue, but we're a small-time operation - any full-time maintainers we hire are more likely to be D-tier programmers like myself. When/if I'm ever replaced, it will probably be by a recent grad from the local university or something, and on the off-chance we did get someone good they'd probably leave for like 3x the pay within a couple years.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Tankbuster posted:

at least some of them were total war nerds. It was sweet watching people make time commanders style stuff and upload it on youtube

We need more shows like that. Remember it being a great ad for Rome:TW.

I also think the atmosphere is more important in the Souls games than the actual lore. Didn't Bandai Namco have a prize for anyone who could explain what was actually going on in that game series?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Yeah the atmosphere is great. I just wanted some cool builds for elden ring so I started looking it up on youtube. Then youtube started recommending me videos about ER and Dark Souls which kept becoming more and more nonsensical. At least with TES you can tell what part is nutty and what part isn't - both in universe and out.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Most of the souls lore don't make "common sense" sense. I watched tons of explain videos and it just annoy me that people think they are good fantasy stories.

Alot of real world creation stories are not good stories (probably only a small fraction survive) and the souls lores are just bad creation stories.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

SplitSoul posted:

Once more it's staggering to see how the sausage gets made in terms of these media narratives and how they trickle down to our coverage over the course of days, I guess journalists these days just read kinda slow. Taking Robotyne means Ukrainians have now "punched through the worst of the Russian defensive lines".

as soon as the offensive started and goons were saying 'an offensive doesn't happen in a day' (for 3 months straight) it was over

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Tankbuster posted:

yeah it was i did find another guy with total war videos for history stuff so i can ignore the other guy

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Please stop IT chat in the war thread and, if possible, get a real job. Tia.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Look, sometimes mao comes to town and you get to make your landlord get tried for crimes against humanity and sometimes mao comes to town and you have to figure out how to smelt steel in your residential community’s courtyard

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

stephenthinkpad posted:

Most of the souls lore don't make "common sense" sense. I watched tons of explain videos and it just annoy me that people think they are good fantasy stories.

Alot of real world creation stories are not good stories (probably only a small fraction survive) and the souls lores are just bad creation stories.

Anything can be profound and interesting if you say it slowly and seriously.

I wonder if the Souls writers deliberately make things vague so the players will be forced to spend a ton of effort futilely trying to make sense of things.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Doom eternal has some of the worst lore. That poo poo didn’t need to get more complicated than endlessly fighting satans hell

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Doom went woke and now theyre broke

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

ukraine lowballed their points estimates for the counteroffensive user stories and are experiencing heavy scope creep, suggest calling for a kpi refinement meeting with the stakeholders

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Slavvy posted:

They're just prepping Ukrainians for their future as under-paid code monkeys.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Nonsense posted:

Doom went woke and now theyre broke

I read that somewhere

The literal demons who run society were all :qq:ablooo bloooo bloooo:qq: make doom about killing god’s angels and the perverts let ‘em!

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Does the west really think they can field a functional gen z army ?

Those kids got anxiety and what not

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Anything can be profound and interesting if you say it slowly and seriously.

I wonder if the Souls writers deliberately make things vague so the players will be forced to spend a ton of effort futilely trying to make sense of things.

They literally do that's the point

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I think that just means gen z understands what faces them

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

the greatest living generation is living in China, the United States currently is populated by a populace with all the pride of the Austro-Hungarian empire with likely the same fate.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

January 6 Survivor posted:

brb getting myself an artillery officer sword with "my other sword is a katana" engraved on it in comic sans

I would pay money to see the list of things that have been engraved on officer's swords. There must have been a lot of video game and anime references

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

Slavvy posted:

the computer touchers will avoid getting drafted to the front lines in the climate war and will instead be blown up in the Cyber Bunker by JDAMs, so it at least dodges the trenches

*checks the news from ukraine*

oh.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

the computer touchers will avoid getting drafted to the front lines in the climate war and will instead be blown up in the Cyber Bunker by JDAMs, so it at least dodges the trenches

oh.

The computer touchers are welcome to continue thinking they're a protected class. It helps the surprise.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Ok private I'm going to need you to program that latrine from a filthy pigsty used by 200 men daily to something your mother would be proud to serve dinner on. Think your C++ manual got any tips for you? I know you hug it like a Bible every night.

(Sounds of distant shelling)

dk2m
May 6, 2009
https://twitter.com/tatarigami_ua/status/1695867428247396359?s=46

seems the constant leaks of US dooming is being reflected upon. we can all agree that the us is dumb as hell for suggesting that drones need to be relied on less

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

oh.

If a draft is not just reinstated but pulls in people in their 40s we’re past being hosed regardless of occupation.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Thoguh posted:

If a draft is not just reinstated but pulls in people in their 40s we’re past being hosed regardless of occupation.

What's that mean for Ukraine

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Gripweed posted:

I would pay money to see the list of things that have been engraved on officer's swords. There must have been a lot of video game and anime references

Given the current Operator culture, probably their blood type. SURNAME LAST THREE B POS

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

dk2m posted:

https://twitter.com/tatarigami_ua/status/1695867428247396359?s=46

seems the constant leaks of US dooming is being reflected upon. we can all agree that the us is dumb as hell for suggesting that drones need to be relied on less

Can't read it because Elon wants me to make an account. Can someone unroll it or whatever?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
What kind of operator doesn't have a custom engraved lord of the rings replica sword? To carry next to their slung Vietnam war era rpg launcher.

dk2m
May 6, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

Can't read it because Elon wants me to make an account. Can someone unroll it or whatever?

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1695867428247396359.html

Alpha 1
Feb 17, 2012

Slavvy posted:

What's that mean for Ukraine

It means Good News for Ukraine, as the nation's senior citizens are defying their advanced age and using their wisdom to defeat the Russian invaders.
https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1696016757805179198

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Nonsense posted:

the greatest living generation is living in China, the United States currently is populated by a populace with all the pride of the Austro-Hungarian empire with likely the same fate.