Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I don’t think anyone on that team has the desire to do that much different given the series’s last 5 years. Also Forza’s track lists aren’t exactly thrilling usually and this new one having I think 21 at launch isn’t going to help that. For context GT7 had 33.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

pzy posted:

IIRC it said I was banned from joining real races for 48 hours

How wrong did you go down the pit lane? Usually it takes something like intentional wrecking to get anything more than a warning, I'm struggling to think of anything you could do from the pits that would get you a 48h timeout.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

How wrong did you go down the pit lane? Usually it takes something like intentional wrecking to get anything more than a warning, I'm struggling to think of anything you could do from the pits that would get you a 48h timeout.

Only specifically pitlane related thing I can think of that would pull that kind of suspension would be doing the old 'cut the chicane at Daytona then pit to clear the penalty' so if it's anything like that then lol fully deserved

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Hmmm I wish there was a history of it in my account or something, it was odd but I remember just shrugging it off and assuming I deserved it.

From what I remember there was someone right behind me in the pit lane weaving, I thought I was doing something wrong being in front of him so I pulled out to let him ahead. BANNED!

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
You didn't do something like tell someone to go gently caress themselves around the same time maybe? It really doesn't sound like something that would get a suspension on its own, unless it was on a oval and you pulled out right in front of the pack and made them all wreck somehow

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Vando posted:

You didn't do something like tell someone to go gently caress themselves around the same time maybe? It really doesn't sound like something that would get a suspension on its own, unless it was on a oval and you pulled out right in front of the pack and made them all wreck somehow

This is exactly what I assume happened

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

I think FM has the potential to do a bit more, just through ease of access. Unlike GT there's a PC version, and you don't have to pay $70 for either - if you have GamePass, you can play it, and of you don't you can pay $1 to play it for a month. Of course, this is post-FM4 Turn10 so they'll gently caress it up somehow.

Yeah, I wish I could be positive about the upcoming Forza Motorsport, but from what Turn10 has shown so far, it's still going to have all of the same issues that ruined FM7.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Honestly I wish I knew exactly what happened... I haven't raced since. I'm a victim!

(but actually practice races are just fine with me)

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I'm pretty sure they tell you in the email informing you you've got a timeout

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I swore I didn't know why I got suspended from AOL, and found out later that AOL emailed my dad a log of me telling the playstation chat room that playstation sucked dick

But he was cool and never told me he knew I was full of poo poo. He must've agreed.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I don't see any email, maybe I just got kicked from the race?

It was very traumatizing.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is there any organized goon racing being done for Automobilista 2?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Almost certainly not I think, but there's a ton of very low stress goon races mostly organized in iracing, sometimes ACC I think. Come join the discord and see if it's your style!

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

I said come in! posted:

None that I know of but I'd be down for some casual AMS2

If anyone's missing titles, there's a heck of a bundle on Humble. For a minimum of $13, you get AC Ultimate Edition, ACC, AMS2, AMS2, and NASCAR Heat 5. I picked it up just to get the AC DLC and ACC. Hilariously I'm playing NASCAR Heat more than anything else.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I got that bundle and already had ACU and ACC if anyone wants the keys for free PM me.

I think the discord group tried out a fun race in AMS2 and it went so-so? We're all deep into iracing so thats usually the lowest-overhead platform for the most people but we did some modded AC races that were fun.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
The AMS2 netcode was pretty bad when we tried it, so I don't think it's likely to come up again anytime soon.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
So I haven't used VR in ages, but got a deal on a used Quest 2. Assetto Corsa looks like ABSOLUTE TRASH. Way worse than it did on my Rift. Sure, the resolution is higher as long as you stand still, but the video compression does not seem to like driving at all. Everything at a distance turns into a blocky mushy mess. The trees are a nightmare. Any tricks to improve this? Tray tool won't let me change the compression for some reason (registry error?), so I bought Virtual Desktop but that only starts AC in 2D no matter what rendering mode I select.

Honestly, if that's just how it is not that big of a deal, I'd still would do most of my driving on my monitor anyway. But it would be nice to have the option again for some casual VR cruising. The way the image quality is right now, it is absolutely not an option.

e: At least I can play Beatsaber again :D

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 28, 2023

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Thank you for curing me of any Cheap Used Quest notions

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

GhostDog posted:

So I haven't used VR in ages, but got a deal on a used Quest 2. Assetto Corsa looks like ABSOLUTE TRASH. Way worse than it did on my Rift. Sure, the resolution is higher as long as you stand still, but the video compression does not seem to like driving at all. Everything at a distance turns into a blocky mushy mess. The trees are a nightmare. Any tricks to improve this? Tray tool won't let me change the compression for some reason (registry error?), so I bought Virtual Desktop but that only starts AC in 2D no matter what rendering mode I select.

Honestly, if that's just how it is not that big of a deal, I'd still would do most of my driving on my monitor anyway. But it would be nice to have the option again for some casual VR cruising. The way the image quality is right now, it is absolutely not an option.

e: At least I can play Beatsaber again :D

Might have luck asking in the dedicated VR thread

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
I’d just reinstall the oculus program, set foveation to max. the debug tool is required to crank up the bitrate

Homeless Friend fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Aug 29, 2023

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Also just to double check you're plugged in yeah?

Homeless Friend posted:

I’d just reinstall the oculus program, set foveation to max. the debug tool is required to crank up the bitrate

Can you elaborate on the bitrate thing?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
You can set your bitrate manually in the oculus debug tool or w/e. If you open file location on the oculus launcher on pc, go up one directory its in the diagnostics folder. Needs to be run as admin. By default it maxes to 200 fixed or variable bitrate in the software ui, but you can crank it to 400 with no problems decoding if your using h.264 with solid LoS iirc. Can also fiddle around with the sharpening/asw/etc settings in there. The foveation is just cause if you wanted transparencies more distinct at distance you’re gonna have to choose to sacrifice edge clarity.

Homeless Friend fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 29, 2023

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
After fiddling around with it, mostly cranking the bitrate and resolution, I got it to an ok point. I think AC is kinda the worst case for streaming, as it already has pretty bad base image quality, especially pixel crawl. I played around with the CSP AA options some time back, but nothing really seemed to improve that to a significant degree.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

So is doing PC VR with a Quest a streaming thing where you have to have a video encoding middle step?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I use a quest because real VR is big dollars

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Also just to double check you're plugged in yeah?

Doubling up on this question because you said LoS and encoding stuff. You're not wirelessly streaming to the quest 2 right?

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

TheScott2K posted:

So is doing PC VR with a Quest a streaming thing where you have to have a video encoding middle step?

Yes, the Quest does not have a regular display connector, you stream video via USB-C or WIFI. Image quality in AC aside, after only a few hours I would not want to go back to a cable connection outside of the stationary sim rig.

e: I'm streaming via WIFI for room games, and use the Link cable in the sim rig.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Aug 29, 2023

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Deleting the cheap VR driving dreams from my brain and resuming a search for a TV mount that brings it forward and down easily. I have a good wheel stand setup I put in front of the desk but the screen is a bit high for driving.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
TV mounts for somewhat special requirements can be a hassle to find. Something that extends down and out but also folds back close to the wall... good luck. I need to find something to rotate a 55" by 90° and also slide it to one side by a 2 feet or so.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

GhostDog posted:

TV mounts for somewhat special requirements can be a hassle to find. Something that extends down and out but also folds back close to the wall... good luck. I need to find something to rotate a 55" by 90° and also slide it to one side by a 2 feet or so.

They've got these "fireplace" mounts now but they're drat expensive

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

TheScott2K posted:

Yes. The quest cannot accept raw monitor data and can only play back an encoded video stream from your PC. You can play with the settings and make that video stream look very good, but it will never be a DisplayPort connection, quality-wise.

tater_salad posted:

I use a quest because real VR is big dollars

Not really. If you have the GPU to send VR to a quest, you have the GPU to send uncompressed VR to a Rift S.

I will forever argue that the Rift S is a really good value. I have bought three of them now for myself and friends off Facebook Marketplace and Havent paid over $120 for any of them. Two of them were $100 even.

$100 for a tethered DisplayPort headset is not bad at all

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Man I wish I lived somewhere with people Facebook marketplacing $120 rifts

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Yes. The quest cannot accept raw monitor data and can only play back an encoded video stream from your PC. You can play with the settings and make that video stream look very good, but it will never be a DisplayPort connection, quality-wise.

Not really. If you have the GPU to send VR to a quest, you have the GPU to send uncompressed VR to a Rift S.

I will forever argue that the Rift S is a really good value. I have bought three of them now for myself and friends off Facebook Marketplace and Havent paid over $120 for any of them. Two of them were $100 even.

$100 for a tethered DisplayPort headset is not bad at all

My space doesn't really lend itself to using cubes. I had tried the original oculus and it didn't work well. I had a wmr set (still do) that had a broken hinge maybe I should put that back together. The fact.it didn't need tracking cubes was great

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rift S does inside out tracking like WMR and quest. No sensors strung around the room

TheScott2K posted:

Man I wish I lived somewhere with people Facebook marketplacing $120 rifts

Move to Milwaukee I guess? Don’t actually do that

However, this is the first result for “Oculus Rift S” near me :shrug:

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 30, 2023

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I'm sorry for the dumb question about using the cable but spent a solid chunk of time troubleshooting a guys Q2 being weird before discovering he was airlinking through a router in the other room and wondering why he had random quality drops and laggy response on occasion and wanted to get that out of the way, glad you found something that worked. I wish it had a drat DP port or something and didnt have to deal with the compression and oculus app in general.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

yep, having had a reverb g2 (direct line) I prefer it this way though as having windows treat your headset as a monitor is maddening. I've got too much poo poo hooked into one computer.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
also, if you're using a wired connection and want to really have absolute maximum big number/have NVENC chip. you can copy 960 and paste it in the debug tool. That's the maximum value where if you go over it won't even start lol.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Finally tried the copy of ACC that came in that humble bundle after spending all of my have-a-wheel-now 2023 in FM7 and (more recently) AMS2 and...yeah, now I get it. That's the one. AMS2, still very good for doing lots of different types of cars, but man does ACC click.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Acc does the best job of simulating the weight of cars imo, even iRacing doesn’t match up in that regard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
The result of focusing on one type of car usually means that one type of car feels really good.