Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Although he should remember that now, so technically Beast has some experience as a fairly bad infernal sorcerer alongside all his other personal failings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Marauders #1, the first X-men Green arc, and the Hellfire Gala issue were also all Duggan's issues. It could be a long-running thing. And I could see Curse uttering a curse from mid-gate interfering with any other curses on the gate.

And it's a little more narratively satisfying than just being a quirk of Kate's powers

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
On Jean Grey, as a relative X layman who's just come back recently, is this mini just flashbacks/recap or is something going on? Never having read any of the stuff referenced in it made it perfectly enjoyable for me to read, I just want to understand the premise of this mini as I continue it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if young jean learned anything from the past, it's that she's incredibly powerful and that memory alterations solve a lot of problems. silver age xavier was also incredibly cavalier about using telepathy, so she's got nothing but bad examples. i'm enjoying this mini more than i am nocenti's storm mini.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Danknificent posted:

On Jean Grey, as a relative X layman who's just come back recently, is this mini just flashbacks/recap or is something going on? Never having read any of the stuff referenced in it made it perfectly enjoyable for me to read, I just want to understand the premise of this mini as I continue it.

They really haven’t said for sure, but I think we all expect it to lead to Jean’s next reincarnation.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Danknificent posted:

My guess is either Phoenix force or psychic bullshit while she's dying as seen in the fall of x book. I'm leaning to the former since the Phoenix shows up in both issues so far.

Basically it looks like she is trying to find 'another way' to fix the present.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Thanks. Even if she's just hallucinating as she dies, it's Marvel Comics, Michael. How long can one A-lister stay dead? Ten minutes?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Last time Jean died was December 2003 and the mini-series she came back in started in December 2017, so about fourteen years I guess?

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

She'll have to show some hustle if she's going to beat Ms. Marvel's speed record.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Edge & Christian posted:

Last time Jean died was December 2003 and the mini-series she came back in started in December 2017, so about fourteen years I guess?

She was part of the team wiped out on Orchis Station at the start of the Krakoa era, no?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Danknificent posted:

She'll have to show some hustle if she's going to beat Ms. Marvel's speed record.

The thing is that Jean sets the standards, but then other characters end up having to break them.

Kurt's up there after his one-man Orchis raid in AXE, but I think Johnny still has the record due to Annihilus murdering him 20+ times in one issue of Hickman's FF.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Danknificent posted:

I think Quentin Quire has the current record of one of panel between his death and resurrection.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Sentinel Red posted:

She was part of the team wiped out on Orchis Station at the start of the Krakoa era, no?

she also got stabbed in the gut by Wolverine at the start of the Wolverine solo series when Wolverine got magic hallucination duped into killing the rest of the X-Force team

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Sentinel Red posted:

I was thinking more "character dies in a way the narrative/readers treat as even hypothetically permanent", but true. Like if someone talks about that time Johnny Storm died, they presumably aren't talking about when he got killed when Thanos killed half the universe in the original Infinity Gauntlet mini-series, or when the entire universe ended right before Secret Wars, or when he got killed and resurrected in AXE: Judgment Day.

Jean Grey has in fact 'died' in two high profile stories and stayed dead for six and fourteen years respectively, which was my main point.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Huh, thinking on it, that legit could be the reason. Curse put one of her spiteful curses out. I doubt she would have targeted Kitty directly, but it could have been a wish that one Mutant wouldn’t be able to use them and Kitty was the one picked at random, and Curse came to check her handiwork after.

In the early issues of Marauders it was established that they weren't sure they could resurrect her either, and Emma ultimately figured out that it had to do with her powers interacting poorly with Krakoan tech. That's the implied mechanical explanation, anyway. Even then, Emma says something like "Kitty doesn't break barriers. She makes them irrelevant. They don't exist to her." So, Orchis making the gates impassible reverses it and her powers make her able to use them.

In the early going, I took it to also be a subtle bit of engagement with Krakoa's resonance with Zionism. Kitty, Marvel's first confirmed Jewish character, cannot use them and must remain in exile, and she makes it her job to help mutants who can't get to Krakoa on their own.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Nobby posted:

Kitty, Marvel's first confirmed Jewish character

Is she really? That's kind of incredible.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.

rantmo posted:

Is she really? That's kind of incredible.

Er, slight correction, first confirmed Jewish hero. There were definitely Jewish supporting characters or one-offs before her (and Jack Kirby at least clearly thought of the Thing as Jewish long before that was written on page--he would draw him on holiday cards), but the first time one of Marvel's superheroes is established as Jewish is when Magneto accidentally knocks her out and her Star of David pendant falls from her neck. He cradles her in a pieta and that's the beginning of Claremont's big Magneto redemption arc (notably, Magneto's heritage is not established in this moment. He invokes the Holocaust in that moment and is clearly traumatized by it, but we don't learn more about him until later).

Nobby fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 27, 2023

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Nobby posted:

Er, slight correction, first confirmed Jewish hero. There were definitely Jewish supporting characters or one-offs before her (and Jack Kirby at least clearly thought of the Thing as Jewish long before that was written on page--he would draw him on holiday cards), but the first time one of Marvel's superheroes is established as Jewish is when Magneto accidentally knocks her out and her Star of David pendant falls from her neck. He cradles her in a pieta and that's the beginning of Claremont's big Magneto redemption arc (notably, Magneto's heritage is not established in this moment. He invokes the Holocaust in that moment and is clearly traumatized by it, but we don't learn more about him until later).
I thought it happened when Dracula no-sells Wolverine's effort to make a cross and tries to chokeslam Kitty, only to burn himself on her Star of David. While I suppose that doesn't make it explicit it seems pretty clear.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Nessus posted:

I thought it happened when Dracula no-sells Wolverine's effort to make a cross and tries to chokeslam Kitty, only to burn himself on her Star of David. While I suppose that doesn't make it explicit it seems pretty clear.

Comics are absurd. In a good way, often, but one can't ignore it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nessus posted:

A shame Logan didn't fight Dracula after the '92 episode of the cartoon where Wolverine accepted Jesus as his lord and savior.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Caros posted:

Comics are absurd. In a good way, often, but one can't ignore it.
Dracula is serious loving business

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
That Wolvie-Dracula thing is burned into my brain because as a youth I read and reread and reread the couple of issues of Wolverine Saga my brother owned. And that book chose to highlight the fact that Logan's cross doesn't work because he doesn't believe (and of course this is a critical scene in Logan and Kurt's relationship).

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thank you all for the Colossus recommendations. He is a big silver boy scout, isn't he [of course, silver can be tarnished]? I read Inferno after Dark Web and liked it, but it's good to know that's where most of his characterization comes from.

Rochallor posted:

Colossus: God's Country is a story I quite remember enjoying. It's by Ann Nocenti and involves Piotr angsting about how he has lived a long time in both America and the Soviet Union and yet doesn't feel at home in either of them.

Thank you. This story is C-SPAM as gently caress. Colossus and a chud fight off a team of commie-killing CIA agents and their struggle is immediately recontextualized by the community as "cult stuff"

Alaois posted:

If you want some direct relation to Colossus and Domino's relationship in X-Force, read Dennis Hopeless' Cable & X-Force series

My first thought was "what the hell is Dr. Nemesis wearing" but I enjoyed this comic too. I liked Forge in it as well and saw some shades of him there in Duggan's X-men

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

La Louve Rouge posted:

My first thought was "what the hell is Dr. Nemesis wearing" but I enjoyed this comic too. I liked Forge in it as well and saw some shades of him there in Duggan's X-men

the worst part of Cable & X-Force by far is the Salvatore Larocca redesigns

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

La Louve Rouge posted:

Thank you all for the Colossus recommendations. He is a big silver boy scout, isn't he [of course, silver can be tarnished]? I read Inferno after Dark Web and liked it, but it's good to know that's where most of his characterization comes from.

Thank you. This story is C-SPAM as gently caress. Colossus and a chud fight off a team of commie-killing CIA agents and their struggle is immediately recontextualized by the community as "cult stuff"

If you enjoyed the tone, I recommend pretty much everything Ann Nocenti wrote for Marvel in the 1980s/early 1990s. For context for both the Colossus story and her entire career, she was an underground comix fan who answered a Village Voice listing to become an editorial assistant and went on to be one of two editors/collaborators of Chris Claremont during the prime of his X-Men run. She was also in grad school at Columbia for sociology/media studies at the same time, and salted a bunch of McLuhan, Chomsky, Zinn, Butler, etc. into her stories.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 27, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

If you enjoyed the tone, I recommend pretty much everything Ann Nocenti wrote for Marvel in the 1980s/early 1990s. For context for both the Colossus story and her entire career, she was an underground comix fan who answered a Village Voice listing to become an editorial assistant and went on to be one of two editors/collaborators of Chris Claremont during the prime of his X-Men run. She was also in grad school at Columbia for sociology/media studies at the same time, and salted a bunch of McLuhan, Chomsky, Zinn, Butler, etc. into her stories.

Her Daredevil run is excellent even if you don't want anything to do with X-Men.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

She was also the creator of Mojo, Spiral et al., right?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Nessus posted:

She was also the creator of Mojo, Spiral et al., right?

Ricochet Rota, is in fact, based on on Nocenti.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Nessus posted:

Magneto nearly killing Kitty is nine issues before the Dracula encounter.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Nobby posted:

She has been wearing it from her first appearance so it’s not like it was something that was shocking. She also mentions it’s her first time celebrating Chanukah by herself when it’s her vs demon in Uncanny 143

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Harold Fjord posted:

I love every usage of forgotmenot and hate that he's not the star of everything

Who?

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

is there a reason why Arrakko is depicted as a space planet with lots of different aliens living (or at least selling stuff there) but Earth is still pretty much Earth?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
those are all the mutants that lived in the arakko dimension pre x of swords. then the x-men mutants moved them all to mars after winning the contest and being like wtf do we do with all these people

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

i know that but there's also skrull and shi'ar hanging around and all the buildings look like anything you'd see in a gotg book. i wanna know about the firm that sells prefab space buildings all over the universe but won't touch earth with a very large pole

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Parallax posted:

is there a reason why Arrakko is depicted as a space planet with lots of different aliens living (or at least selling stuff there) but Earth is still pretty much Earth?

Arrakko was the designated interstellar diplomatic zone for the Sol system.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Parallax posted:

i know that but there's also skrull and shi'ar hanging around and all the buildings look like anything you'd see in a gotg book. i wanna know about the firm that sells prefab space buildings all over the universe but won't touch earth with a very large pole

Most governments on Earth hate aliens, and most alien races don’t like Earth because the Fantastic Four or the Avengers will kick their rear end for looking at them wrong.

Arakko/Mars was established as friendly to interstellar visitors. They’re major players in the galaxy, while Earth is treated like dangerous isolationists.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Parallax posted:

I mean Marvel Earth has all the problems that our Earth has only it's also nearly blowing up all the time, I sure wouldn't want to live there if I were a friendly traveling alien.

Plus I mean, you think the world that hates and fears mutants that look mostly like them with a few differences is gonna take kindly to a full blown alien?* Again, I don't blame them for staying away.

*granted though, given how many alien invasions/armadas Earth has had to fend off over the years, I can't exactly blame the people of Earth for a little nervousness around aliens either.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Earth is generally typified by being a bunch of incestuous hillbillies running around with nuclear weapons, at least as far as the galactic stage goes. We have the shittiest society of any group of sentient beings in existence, but also more godlike powers per square inch than anywhere else in existence. So on a practical, diplomatic level....gently caress Earth, there is nothing of value there. And on wider level....gently caress Earth, every nine seconds they are sending a Thanos into the universe or killing Galactus or some bullshit. Who needs that nonsense?

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Would a planet of survival of the fittest mutants be much chiller though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Parallax posted:

Would a planet of survival of the fittest mutants be much chiller though
Probably, yeah. I imagine a lot of aliens are aware of there being two subtypes of human, one of which is rarer, has innate powers like the Imperial Guard, and has a lot of drama, but are basically nice people. The other ones are laden with cynical realpolitik and seek out "hard decisions" to make at all times!