Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

When I tried the demo for Sea of Stars it definitely felt good. The pixel art graphics were nice, music was great, characters were fun, even though the demo kinda drops you in the middle of the plot, I had a good time with it. Combat has some unique ideas which I'm sure there'll be more with the full game.

I have no idea how much it launches for, Microsoft Store at least seems to offer it for 35€ which seems like a bit steep, but we'll see. (probably not steep if it's a long rear end pixel art RPG, but rather steep in the sense that august-september is so full of good games I want to try...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Because in the mind of your average joe "D&D" = "PnP RPG".
They just don't know that other systems exists.

This is the burden of being a ttrpg enjoyer, made even worse since actual plays and Stranger Things made D&D popular.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

TeaJay posted:

When I tried the demo for Sea of Stars it definitely felt good. The pixel art graphics were nice, music was great, characters were fun, even though the demo kinda drops you in the middle of the plot, I had a good time with it. Combat has some unique ideas which I'm sure there'll be more with the full game.

I have no idea how much it launches for, Microsoft Store at least seems to offer it for 35€ which seems like a bit steep, but we'll see. (probably not steep if it's a long rear end pixel art RPG, but rather steep in the sense that august-september is so full of good games I want to try...)

It's also on game pass and one of the playstation + tiers. Weird that there isn't a price listed on steam though.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Release Times for Starfield;

e; https://www.ign.com/articles/starfield-global-release-times-and-pc-specs-revealed

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Shartfield

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

No early access for gamepass havers, right?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Doesn't sound like it. 5th for that.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thanks! I can wait. I deeply, deeply regret paying a stupid amount of money to play Diablo 4 early so definitely not making that mistake again.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

explosivo posted:

No early access for gamepass havers, right?

You have to buy the premium bundle for 30 dollars.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

explosivo posted:

Thanks! I can wait. I deeply, deeply regret paying a stupid amount of money to play Diablo 4 early so definitely not making that mistake again.

Only reason I did for D4 was because I figured server queues were guaranteed so I was like fine I'll pay $20 or whatever it was to get a week before the real server slam starts. But this is a singleplayer game so I'll gladly wait until 8PM on the 5th.

I'm debating taking a day off next Friday, mostly out of "gently caress my loving job" rather than "Oh boy video game"... but if I do, I will most likely spend that time playing :v:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Ya I am looking forward to it too what character are you going to make?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

KakerMix posted:

janitor

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
looking forward to watching the youtube video essays about how it's either buggy and terrible or the best game of all time
not gonna play it though

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I'm gonna play it on Gamepass then when it won't stop loving up I'll play a different cool game on Gamepass instead.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Croccers posted:

I'm gonna play it on Gamepass then when it won't stop loving up I'll play a different cool game on Gamepass instead.

Gamepass rules

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

KakerMix posted:

A stealth archer.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Fruits of the sea posted:

Half this:

And the other half being that the D&D fantasy pastiche is something most people have already absorbed via cultural osmosis. The folks in my group are keen on roleplaying but aren't going to read any lore after they are done work, put the kids to bed and have some time on the computer.

We moved on to the Fantasy Flight Star Wars ttrpg after, which I'd recommend but it's hard to find in some countries.

E: we still ignored some rules :banjo:

DnD also has the ironic hell of letting you roleplay better by having to make poo poo up for roleplay, than most "storytelling" systems.

The sales pitch is always "Oh but you can really roleplay in THIS system! Unlike stupid combat system for idiots!"

The result is always "Excuse me, you can't do that. The chart is sacred. Also I see you didn't roll high for searching a filing cabinet, allowing me to bank a consequence coupon to declare 'you crash a car' or 'the monster gets a new power' later."

Storytelling systems are basically a scumbag rules lawyer wet dream for GMs who want to tell themselves "I'm not a jerk obsessed with winning! You get bonus experience when I declare your crit success was actually a horrible gently caress up!"

A friend of mine was eyeing the Cypher system for later. They thought I read it ahead of time when, half of my jokes about those trends were literal examples of "How to GM your story system. When a player stacks bonuses so they can actually climb a wall without falling down and hurting themselves, declare the wall collapses with your GM interrupt" in the rule book.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Jack Trades posted:

You could save time by skipping the bad one.

Are you being paid to slag off Starfield everytime it's mentioned in this thread

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Starfailed

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Section Z posted:

The result is always "Excuse me, you can't do that. The chart is sacred. Also I see you didn't roll high for searching a filing cabinet, allowing me to bank a consequence coupon to declare 'you crash a car' or 'the monster gets a new power' later."

You must've had some lovely GMs lol.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Section Z posted:

DnD also has the ironic hell of letting you roleplay better by having to make poo poo up for roleplay, than most "storytelling" systems.

The sales pitch is always "Oh but you can really roleplay in THIS system! Unlike stupid combat system for idiots!"

Storytelling systems are basically a scumbag rules lawyer wet dream for GMs who want to tell themselves "I'm not a jerk obsessed with winning! You get bonus experience when I declare your crit success was actually a horrible gently caress up!"

A friend of mine was eyeing the Cypher system for later. They thought I read it ahead of time when, half of my jokes about those trends were literal examples of "How to GM your story system. When a player stacks bonuses so they can actually climb a wall without falling down and hurting themselves, declare the wall collapses with your GM interrupt" in the rule book.

one of the most deranged posts i ever read

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Resdfru posted:

Are you being paid to slag off Starfield everytime it's mentioned in this thread

You must be new here

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Resdfru posted:

It's a SA honoured tradition for goons to hate boner post about games that haven't been released yet, or they haven't played.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Section Z posted:

hmm... Hope you find a better RPG group in the future.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Resdfru posted:

I thought they meant BG3

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i complain about games for free

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Section Z posted:

It's already been mentioned by others but who are you gaming with? I have never ever played with a group that adhered to a ruleset as it's written, it's always a framework that the DM/GM can always just go 'lol no the reality is actually' and make whatever the hell up.
There is no winning when you play PnP games, it's collaborative fiction to then later go "dude remember that time (shared fiction you all wrote together during a game)? That ruled" like people talk about their favorite movies.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Ghostlight posted:

amateur

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

kazil posted:

amateur

I mean that's what they said

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

KakerMix posted:

It's already been mentioned by others but who are you gaming with? I have never ever played with a group that adhered to a ruleset as it's written, it's always a framework that the DM/GM can always just go 'lol no the reality is actually' and make whatever the hell up.
There is no winning when you play PnP games, it's collaborative fiction to then later go "dude remember that time (shared fiction you all wrote together during a game)? That ruled" like people talk about their favorite movies.

The current group is great, when we can get together mostly weekly online. Most of the horror stories are in the past, leading to cases of "I thought you were exaggerating holy poo poo" from said current friends. Such as the above example of 'No really, I didn't read Cypher ahead of time. That is just how Story Systems always end up.' When the one doing the DMing was looking up stuff outside of 5th ed to run for us later.

The one doing most of the current GMing is also essentially "That guy who wants to steal the acid pit trap to sell for profit". Teamed up with a bunch of people happy to just do basic adventuring. He will count every last arrow forever. He will also warn us "you only have 47 arrows left" instead of waiting until we run out to declare we should have prepared better, and want us to open an arrow factory with all the goblins we convinced to sit back while we tear their leader in half.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The only time I've ever tried playing D&D 5e irl in actual tabletop was with a group from work (big mistake never do this) and all of them (including the DM) were brand new to D&D and very much struggling to understand the fundamental mechanics of the game, so they insisted that everything had to be done exactly as written in the rulebook, right down to only being able to play as the pre-generated characters in the adventure book, even having to adhere to their prewritten backstories and motivations. It was an incredibly terrible experience and I quit after 2 sessions so I get where that post is coming from

Also I got stuck playing as the pregen cleric and they were all so bad at the game that literally the only thing I got to do was cast heals every turn

e: At one point we wanted to do something and the DM actually said "There's nothing in the adventure guide for that" and wouldn't let us do it.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Aug 28, 2023

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Ghostlight posted:

You're on Something Awful, it's documented that not only will you complain about games for free, you'll even pay for the privilege.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

deep dish peat moss posted:

The only time I've ever tried playing D&D 5e irl in actual tabletop was with a group from work (big mistake never do this) and all of them (including the DM) were brand new to D&D and very much struggling to understand the fundamental mechanics of the game, so they insisted that everything had to be done exactly as written in the rulebook, right down to only being able to play as the pre-generated characters in the adventure book, even having to adhere to their prewritten backstories and motivations. It was an incredibly terrible experience and I quit after 2 sessions so I get where that post is coming from

Also I got stuck playing as the pregen cleric and they were all so bad at the game that literally the only thing I got to do was cast heals every turn
This was literally a thing someone I am online gaming with bemoaned about when doing some early 5th ed playtest with strangers after years of proper gaming with people in their area "Why. Is pregen cleric. so miserable?" and we always thank god together my best online pal (mostly) enjoys healing, and our GM always runs a guy who can heal on the side or at least make excuses for potions oclock.

That and they think mocking green dragons is funny, so we get to actually buy the drat poison and disease immunity items once we got the gold for it. Which is wonderfully opposite of my past experiences of "Aw gently caress, I forgot you have expensive point buy based immunity to even xenomorph eggs and nanoplague and are ALSO a zombie ghost... Well, you see. It would ruin my plot if-"

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Section Z posted:

The current group is great, when we can get together mostly weekly online. Most of the horror stories are in the past,

Ok, but a lovely/adversarial GM/Group isn't the fault of any given game system, whether they're simulationist or narrative, rules light or super crunchy.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Hwurmp posted:

Starfailed

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

never cast heals in 5e unless a character is about to fail their 3rd death save. enemies do damage faster than you can heal, and the action economy much prefers you doing damage or CC instead to reduce the incoming hits

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Section Z posted:

have u considered problem might be that your gm friend is a scumbag rules lawyer obsessed with winning

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

never cast heals in 5e unless a character is about to fail their 3rd death save. enemies do damage faster than you can heal, and the action economy much prefers you doing damage or CC instead to reduce the incoming hits

I mean yeah, except the 5e pregen characters and low-level mechanics don't support doing this because the lovely point-buy system they use for pregen characters means clerics, as a hybrid class, always start with stats too low to reliably land either spells or attacks until they get a few ASIs

It wouldn't have been a problem if I was able to make my own character with ability rolls that would facilitate either spellcasting or melee though!

Look at Shadowheart in BG3 as an example, she's completely useless in combat for the first ~3-7 levels unless you respec her to redo her ability scores and/or cantrips. She can cast warding bond and bless, but then she just stands back and watches while you fight, occasionally tossing out heals or missing a 30-40% hit chance Sacred Flame.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 29, 2023

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

I mean yeah, except the 5e pregen characters and low-level mechanics don't support doing this because the lovely point-buy system they use for pregen characters means clerics, as a hybrid class, always start with stats too low to reliably land either spells or attacks until they get a few ASIs

It wouldn't have been a problem if I was able to make my own character with ability rolls that would facilitate either spellcasting or melee though!

Look at Shadowheart in BG3 as an example, she's completely useless in combat for the first ~3-7 levels unless you respec her to redo her ability scores and/or cantrips. She can cast warding bond and bless, but then she just stands back and watches while you fight, occasionally tossing out heals or missing a 30-40% hit chance Sacred Flame.

Shadowheart blasts damage at level 2 for me, maybe you're just cursed with bad dice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

WirelessPillow posted:

Shadowheart blasts damage at level 2 for me, maybe you're just cursed with bad dice?

She's definitely built weird for a Cleric.