Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Blurb3947 posted:

Are we likely to see the 13 Mini price drop? Or are they going to axe it altogether?

I feel like we are due for a new iPhone SE. The current one has an A15… and a home button so it’s the only one with that still. Maybe they will make the mini the new SE?

Looking at the Apple iPhone page, hard to believe they are still selling the 64GB iPhone 12 for $600.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Huh, that’s actually pretty awesome. I never buy AC+ on anything because I never drop my phone, but that’s short of tempting. I did buy it on my AW Ultra on a whim since I use it for lots of athletic things.

After my daughter just annihilated her XS, I’m thinking about getting it on future kid phones.

I just today noticed two more scratches in the glass of my 13 Pro - I still have applecare + through late september. I'm tempted to take it in and get the glass replaced anyway because I'm not sure if I'll bother getting a 15 (if it finally has the USB-C that will lean heavily towards the 'yes' checkbox) because the 13 is still fine for me.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

smackfu posted:

I feel like we are due for a new iPhone SE. The current one has an A15… and a home button so it’s the only one with that still. Maybe they will make the mini the new SE?

Looking at the Apple iPhone page, hard to believe they are still selling the 64GB iPhone 12 for $600.

Most recent rumours were that the new SE will in fact be a full sized iPhone 13/14 chassis (which sucks)

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

(if it finally has the USB-C that will lean heavily towards the 'yes' checkbox)

My original plan was to give my wife (who’s still using an XR) my 13 Pro and buying the new 15 Pro for myself. But if they add USB-C across the whole line, I might just get us both new phones to rid my life of Lightning once and for all

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

smackfu posted:

Maybe they will make the mini the new SE?

I have no basis whatsoever, but I would love this.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
I just wish battery life was better for the SE, the first one was okay but each iteration isn't any better.

Will the USB C spec have any bearing on charging speeds like they do for transfer?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Blurb3947 posted:

I just wish battery life was better for the SE, the first one was okay but each iteration isn't any better.

Will the USB C spec have any bearing on charging speeds like they do for transfer?

USB-C can easily go over 100W, while few lighting devices went over 20W(I think the maximum is 35).

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

SlowBloke posted:

USB-C can easily go over 100W, while few lighting devices went over 20W(I think the maximum is 35).

I don’t think you should expect a tiny smartphone battery to accept much more than 20W regardless of the transfer capacity. The current battery chemistries have limitations, too.

Maybe as we transition to more exotic chemistries this will change, on a few years’ horizon, but I predict not next year.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I don’t think you should expect a tiny smartphone battery to accept much more than 20W regardless of the transfer capacity. The current battery chemistries have limitations, too.

Maybe as we transition to more exotic chemistries this will change, on a few years’ horizon, but I predict not next year.

The 14 line already do 30W. Latest high-end Galaxy series' do 45W. There's an insane 210W Xiaomi.

It's not crazy to think they'd at least match Samsung at 45

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Other phones already charge at 100w.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Looking for a Lightning to HDMI adapter. The Apple one seems to only do 1080p. Are the $15 knockoffs on Amazon that claim 4K any good, or should I just shell out the $50 for the Apple one and deal with 1080p?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Looking for a Lightning to HDMI adapter. The Apple one seems to only do 1080p. Are the $15 knockoffs on Amazon that claim 4K any good, or should I just shell out the $50 for the Apple one and deal with 1080p?

Can you link one that claims to do 4k? A quick look Amazon only shows me ones that can do 1080p. Also looking at the specs for iPhone and I'm pretty sure it is limited to 1080p on the lightning port no matter what.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Can you link one that claims to do 4k? A quick look Amazon only shows me ones that can do 1080p. Also looking at the specs for iPhone and I'm pretty sure it is limited to 1080p on the lightning port no matter what.

Sorry, looks like you’re right. Amazon search threw in some USB-C to HDMI 4K cables. Looks like lightning indeed limited to 1080p.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

wooger posted:

Other phones already charge at 100w.
I believe those are phones that split the battery into 2 parts, so each sub battery gets 50W. Also, you only get max charging speed when the battery is empty.

That said, fast charging does wear batteries more quickly because phones have limited heat dissipation, but I feel like Apple is good about balancing charge speed with degradation.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Aug 28, 2023

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I guess they're gonna redo ipads or something. I think the USB C one they recently put out is really good.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Rick posted:

I guess they're gonna redo ipads or something. I think the USB C one they recently put out is really good.

The iPad 9th gen is getting a bit long in tooth, so a new base one is def due.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Kinda sad that we're describing a two year old device as "long in tooth"

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
The iPad lineup has always been weird, particularly the "normal" iPad.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Kinda sad that we're describing a two year old device as "long in tooth"

It has the A13 which is from 2019 so in a way it's really a 4 year old device.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

I believe those are phones that split the battery into 2 parts, so each sub battery gets 50W. Also, you only get max charging speed when the battery is empty.

That said, fast charging does wear batteries more quickly because phones have limited heat dissipation, but I feel like Apple is good about balancing charge speed with degradation.

So divide the battery into 20 cells at 50W each. 1kW charging!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

So divide the battery into 20 cells at 50W each. 1kW charging!

Sir, unfortunately you cannot bring the iPhone 15 Pro Max C4 Edition on the aircraft at this time

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
where is my folding iphone, tim apple???

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

not really stoked to hear that samsung has started a "how hot can we get these loving batteries?" arms race

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Clark Nova posted:

not really stoked to hear that samsung has started a "how hot can we get these loving batteries?" arms race

You will only be able to guess if the explosion comes from an Ukraine combat drone or a new iPhone by the lack of phonk music.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
are folding phones good yet? they still look like a durability nightmare to me, maybe I'm just old fashioned

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

hatty posted:

are folding phones good yet? they still look like a durability nightmare to me, maybe I'm just old fashioned

so are glass rectangles

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

it is still cheaper to buy two iphone 14s and attach them to each other with duct tape

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

hatty posted:

Apparently they're good for 100 opens/closes a day for three years. Which sucks but if one was an annual ewaste generator it's workable.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The crease in the middle of the screen is a feature.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

The crease in the middle of the screen is a feature.

Dynamic Crease™

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

hatty posted:

are folding phones good yet?

no

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

hatty posted:

They’re only being sold to the type of turbo tech-havers that upgrade their phones every year so we may never know.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Folding phones seem like awful phones and awful tablets. The proportions are all wrong for both. A perfect compromise.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

FCKGW posted:

They’re only being sold to the type of turbo tech-havers that upgrade their phones every year so we may never know.

Yeah and even these types seem to be pretty ambivalent about it.

Kind of sounds like the best use is the opposite crowd, the people who are looking for a minimalist experience since the best use case is "a motorola razr you can put newer apps on."

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

TheWevel posted:

so are glass rectangles

Glass rectangles are pretty drat robust.

If you make a habit of spiking your phone into especially hard surfaces like ceramic tiles it's possible to break the glass, but even a relatively cheap/thin case will mostly prevent that.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I hope apple never gives in to folding phone idiocy.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

The iPad 9th gen is getting a bit long in tooth, so a new base one is def due.
Unless they make some iPad SE using the old form factor (except with USB-C to comply with the EU directive), I bet the 9th gen sticks around awhile longer. Apple likes to keep older form factors around so people can continue to use old accessories.

hatty posted:

Samsung's been making them for like five years at this point and they're still durability nightmares with big, ugly bumps at the crease.

The Pixel Fold doesn't even open to 180 degrees and the screen breaks if a dust motes gets stuck between the screen.

So, no.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

the galaxy z flip does look very nice, especially the two-tone ones with the black rails. i wouldn't buy one but if someone gave one to me i'd use it until it broke

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
The real problem is that it costs extra to make your phone foldable, and you get some real dubious benefits out of it.

Maybe it's me becoming a boomer but I don't know that I will ever trust folding screens, at least not for some years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Weedle posted:

the galaxy z flip does look very nice, especially the two-tone ones with the black rails. i wouldn't buy one but if someone gave one to me i'd use it until it broke

that phone looks stupid and ugly op, i think you meant to link to a good-looking phone or something