Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

SpartanIvy posted:

Yeah but most people wouldn't get out of the car wreck and then try to convince everyone that they should come to them for driving advice still. If you market yourself as the driving instructor who is honest and transparent and "just like you!"

At no point should you look at Linus' stupid house or Porsche Taycan and think "hey, he's just like me"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Ok finding out linus has a taycan has caused me just that much more irritation with the guy. Not in a jealousy way more like a “don’t associate a cool car with that dingus” way

Why couldn’t he have a lamboghini urus or something obnoxiously stupid

Vvvv what the heck

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

MustardFacial posted:

At no point should you look at Linus' stupid house or Porsche Taycan and think "hey, he's just like me"

priznat posted:

Ok finding out linus has a taycan has caused me just that much more irritation with the guy. Not in a jealousy way more like a “don’t associate a cool car with that dingus” way

Why couldn’t he have a lamboghini urus or something obnoxiously stupid

he replaced the taycan with a gr corolla recently

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
there is no company or CEO in existence that would comment on an ongoing legal situation involving sexual harassment.

even if the legal situation is all perfunctory or hypothetical. there is zero reason you would ever expect anyone with a modicum of responsibility to say a single word about it.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

SpartanIvy posted:

Do you think admitting to selling auctioning a piece of property they didn't own isn't an admission of guilt legally?

Yeah but most people wouldn't get out of the car wreck and then try to convince everyone that they should come to them for driving advice still. If you market yourself as the driving instructor who is honest and transparent and "just like you!" then the bar is higher than how a faceless mega corporation acts. That's why it's ridiculous to expect Steve to reach out to LMG for comments first. LMG puts on the plucky small business mask when it suits them and then becomes a faceless mega corporation when money or allegations get involved.

It doesn't matter if Linus was 1000% honest and transparent with all his review stuff because, in regards to the Madison allegations (which is the point you initially brought up), it would be the business equivalent of committing suicide by saying "yes Madison's allegations are true, we hosed up". Doesn't matter what steps they say they're going to take to fix things, if Linus or anyone else at LMG were dumb enough to go on camera and admit the company's wrongdoing like that, I would have to imagine lawyers would literally be lining up at her door to represent her. It would be the definition of a slam dunk case.

Regarding the Billet Labs thing, I would say the circumstances here are completely different, because A) Billet Labs is located in the UK, not Canada; B)they likely don't have the funds to engage a much larger company in a different country in a protracted lawsuit; and C)my hunch is there weren't any legally binding contracts or other paperwork regarding the disposition of the prototype, outside of the LMG emails saying "yes we'll send it back to you". Which, legally speaking, may or may not be considered as having the same legal binding as a contract saying "if LMG does not return the prototype by X date, they will be on the hook to BL for Y amount of dollars" (which I suspect was never even a consideration when BL contacted them).

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Ok Comboomer posted:

he replaced the taycan with a gr corolla recently

Unless he did an update somewhere besides YT, he hasn't, but wants to. They did a video "review" of one, and he liked how it was a "zoom zoom" car that couldn't actually go that fast (it is a 3 cylinder turbo after all), handled nice (that's a maybe given his car history), but that it costs 40k Canadian. And while there are fair price protections in Canada, dealerships are being shady assholes and still adding on 10-15k easy to the sticker.

If I remember right, he got the Taycan used. For some reason, 70-90k is the figure bouncing around in my head that he mentioned?

The "zoom zoom" thing is one of those false arguments one sees when people complain about lambo's, or ferrarri, and the like. That "well, you can't ever use all the car on roads, only a track! Why would you get a car like that?" And of course he went full force with that. That the Corolla "felt" fast on normal roads is what he liked.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Koskun posted:

Unless he did an update somewhere besides YT, he hasn't, but wants to. They did a video "review" of one, and he liked how it was a "zoom zoom" car that couldn't actually go that fast (it is a 3 cylinder turbo after all), handled nice (that's a maybe given his car history), but that it costs 40k Canadian. And while there are fair price protections in Canada, dealerships are being shady assholes and still adding on 10-15k easy to the sticker.

If I remember right, he got the Taycan used. For some reason, 70-90k is the figure bouncing around in my head that he mentioned?

The "zoom zoom" thing is one of those false arguments one sees when people complain about lambo's, or ferrarri, and the like. That "well, you can't ever use all the car on roads, only a track! Why would you get a car like that?" And of course he went full force with that. That the Corolla "felt" fast on normal roads is what he liked.

lmao you don’t need to explain to me why the GR Corolla is a good car

also did you say that it’s “maybe” good at handling?

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

lmao you don’t need to explain to me why the GR Corolla is a good car

also did you say that it’s “maybe” good at handling?

Again, given Linus's car history, not as a blanket statement you are trying to make it into.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

LMG won’t improve because Linus genuinely doesn’t think that there is anything to fix. In his mind the problem is that GN and Madison and YT commenters and so forth are being Unfair and Unreasonable, not that the company bearing his name has harmful operational and management practices. It made him rich and happy, so it must be working!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
The GR Corolla is obscenely fast

I think this so-called "Linus" might be dumb as heck.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
by linus' own logic, lmg should be unionizing now, but obviously that was just his excuse for not allowing unionization

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

LMG won’t improve because Linus genuinely doesn’t think that there is anything to fix. In his mind the problem is that GN and Madison and YT commenters and so forth are being Unfair and Unreasonable, not that the company bearing his name has harmful operational and management practices. It made him rich and happy, so it must be working!

Bingo!

That's why I've said LMG won't change until Linus is no longer there. If the owner doesn't think anything is seriously wrong, what incentive does he have to make any changes?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Koskun posted:

Again, given Linus's car history, not as a blanket statement you are trying to make it into.

I don’t know what this means

Like, I know he had a Model 3 for a while, and like a Camry or something before that. But he also used to ride sport bikes before he became a father

I don’t know what kind of blanket statement I’m trying to make.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

He had the civic, a Chevy bolt and then the Taycan. Yvonne had an Odyessy. he didn't have a Tesla, but Brandon did have a model Y.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

I don’t know what this means

Like, I know he had a Model 3 for a while, and like a Camry or something before that. But he also used to ride sport bikes before he became a father

I don’t know what kind of blanket statement I’m trying to make.
As well why not said, the vehicles he's had are not anything near what one would call sporty. So when I said "given his history", he has no real frame of reference except to one vehicle (his Taycan) as to what good/bad/great/phenomenal handling would be.

It felt like you were trying to turn what I said about Linus's view of the GR into a blanket statement of the GR in general. If not, I apologize.

well why not posted:

He had the civic, a Chevy bolt and then the Taycan. Yvonne had an Odyessy. he didn't have a Tesla, but Brandon did have a model Y.

A few others there now I believe have a Tesla of some sort. You can see multiple's charging when they do something outside.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Does anybody know what kind of bikes Linus rides/used to ride?

Is he a Gixxer bro?

‘Busa Boy Linus

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

Does anybody know what kind of bikes Linus rides/used to ride?

Is he a Gixxer bro?

‘Busa Boy Linus

Who cares, Steve Burke rides cooler bikes than him.

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

Don't kiss your sister, Son...
As someone who used to watch all of LTT's videos, as well as Doug DeMuro, I always skipped LTT's car reviews. Why would I care about Linus's opinion on the Corolla? He's not a car expert, this isn't a car channel. It felt like a weird stretch for their content.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Arivia posted:

Who cares, Steve Burke rides cooler bikes than him.

I know he rides mtn bikes, does he ride motorcycles too?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

TheOneVader posted:

As someone who used to watch all of LTT's videos, as well as Doug DeMuro, I always skipped LTT's car reviews. Why would I care about Linus's opinion on the Corolla? He's not a car expert, this isn't a car channel. It felt like a weird stretch for their content.

I mean, most car tubers are pretty far from experts too

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

I mean, most car tubers are pretty far from experts too

Except, as we've previously discussed, Regular Car Reviews, who is an expert. on postmodernism

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

TheOneVader posted:

THHHHHHISSSSSS is an apt analysis.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Koskun posted:

Hold on, did he actually say the GR Corolla wasn’t fast?

At 4.9s 0-60 I guess it is slower than the fancier Taycans but what the gently caress?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

TheOneVader posted:

He’s not an anything expert, other than YT algorithm manipulation.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

TheOneVader posted:

MKBHD does occasional car stuff too and I don't get it, like tech guys tried getting into the car business with the likes of Tesla and Rivian and all the techtubers thought yeah now cars are tech!

Michael Fisher at one point was honest about it and said yeah I liked doing car videos but nobody who subscribes to my loving mobile phone review channel wants to hear me talk about cars and nobody ever watched those videos.

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

Don't kiss your sister, Son...

njsykora posted:

MKBHD does occasional car stuff too and I don't get it, like tech guys tried getting into the car business with the likes of Tesla and Rivian and all the techtubers thought yeah now cars are tech!

Michael Fisher at one point was honest about it and said yeah I liked doing car videos but nobody who subscribes to my loving mobile phone review channel wants to hear me talk about cars and nobody ever watched those videos.

I appreciate that MKBHD focuses on EVs and the tech within the car, and that he's moved them to a separate channel so I can just ignore them.

Linus talking about the handling characteristics of an ICE Corolla is absolutely not what I want to see. Same as I don't want to watch a Linus cooking show.

Props to Michael Fisher for keeping it real. Love his videos, even if I'm never going to buy a foldable.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

well why not posted:

Pretty sure it was a Volt. He also bought a Tesla, but for a family member or something.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Did MKBHD do car reviews first?

Linus probably just saw a market opportunity and dealerships wanting to throw him inventory for review.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

apatheticman posted:

Linus probably just saw a market opportunity and dealerships wanting to throw him inventory for review.

Unless things have changed , MKBHD has been an Elong bootlicker for awhile and tried to hype Teslas up early on and heap praise on Musky in general while ignoring all the awful things about him and his cars.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
MKBHD is not technical at all and lies through omission all the time. He’s just good for seeing the latest Apple product in 8K shot on a 50k camera.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

Unless things have changed , MKBHD has been an Elong bootlicker for awhile and tried to hype Teslas up early on and heap praise on Musky in general while ignoring all the awful things about him and his cars.

It feels like that's falling apart the more Elon screws up his various business ventures and the more he drives cars that are actually built well, but MKBHD sure seems like he's had to learn that Elon is a scammer the slow way, along with rest of pop tech YouTube (engineering YouTube had Elon's number a while back.)

apatheticman posted:

The car reviews from LMG are more Alex's thing, and are usually on Short Circuit so are more vibes based (though they have the labs testing the audio.) Alex does seem to sincerely enjoy the car reviews in his Canadian country-boy way. Long term, watch that be yet another channel stretching LMG thin by having Alex both reviewing cars and building $100K Minecraft PCs.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
it's not that I think GN did anything wrong, I just feel like Steve should have known better that his "editorial practices" video wasn't going to win anyone over that already thought they did do something wrong. I appreciate that he tried, though.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's not that I think GN did anything wrong, I just feel like Steve should have known better that his "editorial practices" video wasn't going to win anyone over that already thought they did do something wrong. I appreciate that he tried, though.

I think he's just doing it for the future. He seems confident enough in his channel not to feel the need to win over LTT boneheads, but at least its something he can point to in the future when he does another hit piece against a channel that has weird followers.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Wow, DankPods has $28k per month Patreon.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Rinkles posted:

thats one of those channels where I definitely feel like I could've done that

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
the l is for narcissist

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Rinkles posted:

That buys a lot of nuggets

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

he just makes good content with little bloat. no sponsor spots, no clickbait thumbnails, no ridiculous over-produced intros, no lame scripted jokes. just nuggets and exploding earbuds. i'm glad he can make a good living off of that

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Triikan posted:

Pretty sure it was a Volt. He also bought a Tesla, but for a family member or something.

you might be right. ridiculous that they made a bolt and a volt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Next they can do a Jolt, except Ford already beat them to it with their transmission problems!!

Subscribe to Floatplane for more car jokes.