Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It’s an ancient space orb, maybe it can survive a little Ka-Boom? Or they’re willing to gamble on that, at least.

In that case they probably should have just nuked her while they were waiting (and waiting...) for her to solve the uncharted puzzles. The outcome they got trying to have it both ways is the same as if they had done nothing but they're down one nuke which seems like it would be useful.

Let's all watch for occasions where the bad guys could win if they had a nuke in the next 6 eps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
It would be interesting to explore the propaganda and indoctrination that the Empire used in the Core worlds during its reign. Was there an Imperial FoxNews? That would explain why so many humans seem to have fascist brain worms.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Marsupial Ape posted:

It would be interesting to explore the propaganda and indoctrination that the Empire used in the Core worlds during its reign. Was there an Imperial FoxNews? That would explain why so many humans seem to have fascist brain worms.

Obi Wan mole guy nodding along to Imperial Ben Shapiro's latest holocast

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Oh no…now I’m trying to imagine what the Intellectual Dark HoloNet would look and sound like.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

No Mods No Masters posted:

In that case they probably should have just nuked her while they were waiting (and waiting...) for her to solve the uncharted puzzles. The outcome they got trying to have it both ways is the same as if they had done nothing but they're down one nuke which seems like it would be useful.

Let's all watch for occasions where the bad guys could win if they had a nuke in the next 6 eps

Yes, that'd be the smart move, but it wouldn't make for a very good story.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Gervasius posted:

10 BBY - The Cannibal has left the Unknown Regions

10 BBY Week 1 - The Chiss Ogre has landed at Endor

10 BBY Week 2 - The Rancor has arrived at Bespin

10 BBY Week 3 - The Beast has slept on Naboo

10 BBY Week 4 - The Tyrant has passed through Hutt regions

10 BBY Week 5 - The Usurper is marching towards Kashyyk but loyal Wookie legions surround him

10 BBY Week 6 - Thrawn has escaped his pursuers and is now only 600 parsecs from Coruscant

10 BBY Week 7 - Trawn has just passed Alderaan asteroid field

10 BBY Week 7 day 3 - Thrawn is advancing rapidly but will never enter core worlds

10 BBY Week 7 day 6 - Grand Admiral Thrawn has entered Coruscant sector, right in front of our orbital defences.

10 BBY Week 8 day 1 - The Emperor has entered Coruscant system

10 BBY Week 9 day 2 - His Imperial Majesty Grand Admiral Thrawn has landed in front of Galactic Senate amongst his cheering and jubilant royal subjects.

Perfect

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So given that Professor Huyang is alive/functional in the decade or so after RotJ, do you think Luke has ever had a chance to chat with them?

odinson
Mar 17, 2009

Marsupial Ape posted:

Oh no…now I’m trying to imagine what the Intellectual Dark HoloNet would look and sound like.

Probably a bunch of HoloCast deniers.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

star wars hbomberguy: "what is it with you people and darth vader's helmet??"

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

The HK gangnuke was one of the few things that irked me, but it was insignificant enough for me to disregard in the grand scheme.

Maybe they're HKs that were rigged specifically for self mass destruction. Maybe their armour plates were lined with some sort of plastic nuclear explosive, in every nook and cranny, in anticipation of assassinating a not-jedi that has a knack for getting away. It was still a weird effect they portrayed...

But it's whatever.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I mean the Proton Torpedoes X-wings and such fire aren't much bigger than an HK droid's chest and capable of blowing large chunks out of starships. Why are the chest bombs that weird to some?

2 meter wide hole. Which is probably about how tall those HK droids are.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I think for me, it's the weird chain explosion effect they cause. Might be explained by atmosphere peculiarities?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Star Wars doesn’t care about science so why should you?

Chest bombs go boom, make big boom

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I ain't buying it until I can fall asleep in disinterest reading about it on star wars technical commentaries.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

odinson posted:

Probably a bunch of HoloCast deniers.

Alderaan's destruction was a hoax!!

It's Rebel propaganda, do your own research!!

Alderannian "Refugees" are actors paid by Senator Mon Mothma!! Lock. HER. UP!!

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I mean the Proton Torpedoes X-wings and such fire aren't much bigger than an HK droid's chest and capable of blowing large chunks out of starships. Why are the chest bombs that weird to some?

This pic always reminds me they should have bombed the exhaust port by flying straight towards the hole and not by flying along a trench and expecting torpedoes to turn 90 degrees into it.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Parkingtigers posted:

This pic always reminds me they should have bombed the exhaust port by flying straight towards the hole and not by flying along a trench and expecting torpedoes to turn 90 degrees into it.

Just create a self-piloting torpedo droid and build like 100,000 of them and shoot them all at the thermal exhaust port from different vectors.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Parkingtigers posted:

The trench got them to the exhaust port without being shredded by AA/anti-missile fire from Turbolasers on approach in open space :pseudo:.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Galaga Galaxian posted:

IIRC proton torpedoes are basically nukes, so miniaturized nukes exist

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It would've been safer to strap a nuke to an astromech and send it into the port.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Through an implausible but entertaining series of events, Threepio ends up riding the bomb down into the exhaust port Major Kong-style.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

stev posted:

It would've been safer to strap a nuke to an astromech and send it into the port.

Chopper would gleefully volunteer, then strap the proton torpedo onto another random Astromech and make them do it in his place. While waving and chortling maniacally a5 his handiwork as the astromech flies off to kill a lot of people.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Marsupial Ape posted:

This is something that was also in Rebels, haha. The Empire literally forced bars and stuff to put Inperial HoloNews on 24-7, and they just ran propaganda on how great Sheev was.

The first time you see it on Rebels, it's on Empire Day, the day Sheev liberated the galaxy into the Galactic Empire, and it keeps being a background thing (that The Rebels keep hijacking to get messages out on).

Also, while Rebels was running, there was a companion HoloNet News site ongoing where propaganda pieces would be posted.

Edit: Here's Lothals own Empire News host: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Alton_Kastle

Darko fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Aug 29, 2023

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Why is Chopper so psycho anyway? Was he mistreated or does he just hate everything?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Sentinel Red posted:

Why is Chopper so psycho anyway? Was he mistreated or does he just hate everything?

He's never been memory wiped and he's old as dirt and he still has PTSD from being in the Clone Wars (Hera found him in a crashed Y Wing and fixed him, I believe).

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Sentinel Red posted:

He grew up on the holonet equivalent of 4chan

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Parkingtigers posted:

Yeah, but if we saw it from that angle, they probably wouldn't have been able to get away with reusing the miniature for the superlaser chamber.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

I know Imperial health & safety is notoriously bad but I always thought it especially nuts that those dudes were required to hang out next to a laser putting out enough energy to wreck planets. Like, couldn't they do it from a cosy console half a mile away or something? At least give them safety goggles!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

trevorreznik posted:

What's extra fun is that every successful action to defend the New Republic (against, say, Thrawn) leads to a half dozen planets getting blown up by the First Order. If the NR simply gave up against Thrawn/Gideon/whoever else, billions of lives would have been saved.

Oh hey, it's CSPAM after Russia invaded Ukraine.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sentinel Red posted:

I know Imperial health & safety is notoriously bad but I always thought it especially nuts that those dudes were required to hang out next to a laser putting out enough energy to wreck planets. Like, couldn't they do it from a cosy console half a mile away or something? At least give them safety goggles!

One guy has the Imperial Gunner helmet, that probably helps. Other guy is probably his supervisor and thus needs to dress respectfully as a proper Imperial Officer :wotwot:.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Alderaan's destruction was a hoax!!

It's Rebel propaganda, do your own research!!

Alderannian "Refugees" are actors paid by Senator Mon Mothma!! Lock. HER. UP!!

The Empire said it was a mining accident, just like the ones on Jedha and Scarif and Geonosis and Kamino and-

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

CornHolio posted:

I really hope we end up getting World Devastators

they exist in season 4 of rebels, they are different and 'just' mining equipment burning lothal

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Sentinel Red posted:

Radiation doesn't exist in Star Wars. Eliminated.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Xelkelvos posted:

Order, safety, stability. The same sort of empty promises that lots of historical dictatorships promised and sometimes delivered on (to the chagrin of those under their bootheels).

I imagine it's not explored because it's a very real and uncomfortable topic to explore and would be best served in an Andor-like drama instead of the space fantasy romp that Filoni also wants to tell.

Coreillia IS the imperial core. It's no corescant, but we're not talking a periphery like Tatooine

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Vintersorg posted:

Wrong, there’s a radiation launcher in Battlefront 2. Granted this does kind of suggest that “radiation” in Star Wars-ese means “grenade”

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
I mean light is radiation and photons clearly exist in Star Wars

But yeah no radioactive stuff, probably maybe

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Maybe there's no radiation but can you have malignant midichlorian growth and develop Force Cancer?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Vintersorg posted:

In Resistance (which no one watched*) there's a part where the rebels go on a secret mission to a First Order space station to steal a special type of shield projector which protects their own space station from cosmic rays. Their station's shield was failing and they mention that, if they can't get a replacement, everyone on board will die**.

They steal it and leave several thousand FO troops to presumably die horribly.

* for good reason.

** apart from the droids, but nobody cares about them.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Lobok posted:

Maybe there's no radiation but can you have malignant midichlorian growth and develop Force Cancer?

Sentient tumor Darth Carcinus controlling some meat puppet Krang-style sounds like a decent Star Wars comic idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Everyone here's all excited for real life cartoon characters but I'm over here going "Hey it's the guy from the second set of assistants on House."