Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

BonoMan posted:

I don't know I think there's a fine line wide gulf between pulpy homages to serialized adventure stories of his youth (Star Wars) and pubescent edgelord tryhard poo poo (Snyder).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yoda's right!

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Not sure I understand what is edge lordy about that trailer either? Just looks like typical dark sci-fi fantasy fare.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Violins are edgy.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

lol

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Bugblatter posted:

Not sure I understand what is edge lordy about that trailer either? Just looks like typical dark sci-fi fantasy fare.

Whenever I hear something like "scargiver" it just makes me groan. Maybe it's not technically edge-lord, but it really does just seem like "poo poo a 13 year old would think is cool."

It's whatever. I'm not gonna pulp shame anymore.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I mean I’ll personally always associate Zack Snyder with Sucker Punch first and foremost because the first time I saw it I was left with a very strong and and not good impression, but whether it’s fair to hold that over his head forever is certainly a worthy question.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Scargiver/Starkiller

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i just thought it look sorta bland, but i dunno i liked some synder before maybe i would like this one. not going to know because i rather watch movies with homosexuals.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Sucker Punch deserves its vitriol because Snyder somehow made a movie about beautiful women shooting machine guns at giant robots both boring and gross.

That being said, IMHO Dawn of the Dead is a great zombie movie (bolstered by an excellent cast), Watchmen was good and is as close as anyone's ever going to get to achieving Alan Moore's vision, and Man of Steel was fine. Everything else he's done is pee pee and doo doo.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
DARTH SIDIOUS?? talk about an edgelord

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Thaddius the Large posted:

I mean I’ll personally always associate Zack Snyder with Sucker Punch first and foremost because the first time I saw it I was left with a very strong and and not good impression, but whether it’s fair to hold that over his head forever is certainly a worthy question.

Dillbag posted:

Sucker Punch deserves its vitriol because Snyder somehow made a movie about beautiful women shooting machine guns at giant robots both boring and gross.

Sucker Punch isn't my favorite Snyder movie and it's very much his weakest effort imo, but I appreciate the ambition behind its messaging. I think it's important to judge an artist's work based on their intent and what their goals were. In the case of Sucker Punch, I always thought this interview with Snyder gave some pretty good insight into his motivations: https://filmschoolrejects.com/interview-zack-snyder-on-the-sexuality-and-fanboy-hate-of-sucker-punch-36287c94c6b0/

And if you care enough, Snyder held a very good Q&A for the film around the time of its release that I thought was pretty interesting and helped me appreciate the movie a bit more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__ntrqjhtKo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-YIW8rzxus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cgenBlFnlo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9URCBq3cJQ

I get it if you or whoever else don't care to read or watch any of that stuff I linked, but I think diluting Sucker Punch down to "beautiful women shooting machine guns at giant robots" isn't giving the film a fair enough shake.

[edit] There was also this very recent interview with Snyder about Sucker Punch that I felt was another great read: https://letterboxd.com/ifccenter/story/sucker-punch-an-interview-with-zack-snyder/

I do think Sucker Punch deserves at least another once over and re-evaluation if you've already seen it. Giving it another go maybe won't make you like it, but I think viewing it with authorial intent in mind makes a big difference and opens up a lot of what the film has to say about the movie industry and its commentary on female heroes. I've said this a few times before, but Sucker Punch is basically Snyder dropping a metaphorical diss track at Joss Whedon/Whedon types.

teagone fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Aug 29, 2023

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

still waiting for Darth Insanious

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Snooze Cruise posted:

i just thought it look sorta bland, but i dunno i liked some synder before maybe i would like this one. not going to know because i rather watch movies with homosexuals.

It's a shame that Snyder was never given the chance to make his Alexander The Great gay romance epic.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

ruddiger posted:

Scargiver/Starkiller

scargiver/scartaker

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Sucker Punch still has value because of the Oscar Isaac/Carla Gugino song but i think thats just in an extended version or something

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Lots of people in here are just salty that Zack picked a side (the right side) on whether or not Batman ate pussy.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Can’t believe Jena Malone decided the future of her acting career on being in a creepy zack Snyder movie that’s pee pee and doo doo

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
alright im just gonna come out and say it: I don't know who Zach Snyder is

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Peanut President posted:

alright im just gonna come out and say it: I don't know who Zach Snyder is

He makes those honey mustard pretzel pieces.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Fartington Butts posted:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

teagone posted:

I think it's important to judge an artist's work based on their intent and what their goals were

Nah. Intent and goals mean jackshit. It’s either a good film or it’s not.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Mordiceius posted:

Acknowledging the intent and goals of film doesn't mean you have to think it's good. Like I said, I don't think Sucker Punch is all that great, but I respect what Snyder was trying to do. I'm really just suggesting to consider what an artist was trying to say with their work and not judge it solely based on personal biases. What I'm not suggesting is that you have to engage with movies this way, but I do think it's a better avenue of critique compared to simply tearing down art because you don't like it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

I've got no skin in the Snyder chat, but this is premium lol

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I’m like half way on board with that. Intent is interest and informs my opinion of the artist, but the art has to stand on its own. A creation can and often does communicate a message the creator didn’t intend. Sometimes for worse, sometimes for better.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

And sometimes that unintended message or value only becomes clear with the passage of time and the changing of audiences.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah we got the whole Death Of The Author thing but these days we also get to dig through the author's trash (social media, blog posts, concept art) and look at all their discarded notes and find out what they really meant to say before studio interference mussed it all up

The author also gets to "come back from the dead" and release a new Director's Cut or answer questions at Comic-Con to clarify their original intent

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It's fun to see the "this looks like a video game" next to "this is bad star wars" when star wars is currently eating it's own videogame rear end like a content ourobouros

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ruddiger posted:

Can’t believe Jena Malone decided the future of her acting career on being in a creepy zack Snyder movie that’s pee pee and doo doo

Was she supposed to be in something else?

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Fartington Butts posted:

Well then I guess I'm a #SnyderFan then, love those things

Harry Lime
Feb 27, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs1epO_zLG8

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

bows1 posted:

I dont know why I keep responding but what is edge lord about Snyder? Man of Steel seemed super sincere even if you dont like it.

tell that to zod's snapped neck

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Looks great. And that's a really solid trailer.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

teagone posted:

Sucker Punch is basically Snyder dropping a metaphorical diss track at Joss Whedon/Whedon types.

I like to point out that Babydoll goes through in one movie the entire arc of cinematic Black Window in 30 movies. It's absolutely a send up.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Cinematic black widow barely existed when sucker punch was made lmao

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

CelticPredator posted:

Cinematic black widow barely existed when sucker punch was made lmao

Also barely existed after!

Like that's the point.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

sucker punch and black widow have very little in common.

Other than they both kinda suck I guess lol

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Interesting. I haven't loved anything Fincher has done since the social network (didn't see Mank), but I'm piqued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

And sometimes that unintended message or value only becomes clear with the passage of time and the changing of audiences.

"You should judge art on it's intent, but sometimes somebody centuries ago accidently makes great art because it's filtered through a culture or circumstances they never could have imagined, which means their intent doesn't matter."

Very muddled.