Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
Just started the first PSP game, and holy poo poo this kid is a total psychopath. Very different from the usual RGG protagonist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Mordiceius posted:

How involved are these school side stories in Lost Judgment? Is it more gameplay or cutscenes?

The school stories contain nearly all of the minigames and the majority of the sidequests in the game.

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl
Can’t wait for Gaiden. This will be the first brawler that releases on PC day 1 right (other than Isshin)?

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I haven't beaten Lost Judgment yet but I did the vast majority of the school stuff and enjoyed it overall, although some of them overstay their welcome (looking at you robotics and motorcycle clubs). The robotics one also seems very hard if you play it the "right" way, but you can also cheese it by making a block path to the enemy base as fast as you can. drat, everyone talking about LJ makes me want to get back to it before Gaiden is out...

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Always felt like "just rush to base" was always the intended method considering that's basically what the AI will do to yours if you ever let them, and that getting a majority was just if you somehow ran out the clock.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

Can’t wait for Gaiden. This will be the first brawler that releases on PC day 1 right (other than Isshin)?

Gonna be a stirring epic of great power! I'm pumped. Kiryu is inspiring.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Might hold back on preordering Gaiden myself. LAD for PC shipped with missing weakness indicators that took a month to get fixed while Ishin was initially very unpleasant due to asset loading pauses mid-action

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

I just recently got around to starting Lost Judgment as it's the only major game in the series I need to bring me up to date (No, I haven't played Ishin and don't plan to) on the RGG world pre-LAD Gaiden.

So far, this game is great. I'm mid-chapter 2 and I'm already hooked by the story. I feel like having a story about high school bullies gives it a punchiness that the other games don't have. Though I do find it hilarious that Yagami is constantly like "I gotta find a way to keep hanging out at this high school!!!" and it keeps getting more and more convoluted.

Never get tired of beating the crap out of high school shitheads though.

Just finished it, great game and especially good if you enjoy Judgement changes over Yakuza and it's characters. The only problem is that the writer's kinda move on from the school setting to a bigger premise which imo hurt the story.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

spiritual bypass posted:

Might hold back on preordering Gaiden myself. LAD for PC shipped with missing weakness indicators that took a month to get fixed

They were missing on everything outside of the Japanese original release.

I played the whole thing on PS4 when it launched in the West and one of my only nitpicks at the end was “no weakness indicators is some bullshit game design what the gently caress RGG” and then it turns out that was just a bug and the Japanese version had them just fine.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Same here! Played obsessively and beat the main plot and most substories before the first patch hit

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
Oh my god, how good would a 'Bully'-style RGG game be :aaa:

e: you could even have the protagonist be the kid from Kaito files

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

My biggest problem with the School Stories is that they're mostly locked behind doing a lot of dance club. Once you get deep enough into dance club to start unlocking them it becomes a lot more nonlinear, but you gotta do a fair bit of dancing to get there. I spent entirely too long not doing any school stories because I didn't wanna do that much dance club and figured they'd just start unlocking as I progressed the plot. :v:

Edit: Would you believe that I never knew you could beat robotics by capturing the enemy base? Just learning about this now. I did the whole club winning by time.

Arzaac fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 28, 2023

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

A Bystander posted:

Always felt like "just rush to base" was always the intended method considering that's basically what the AI will do to yours if you ever let them, and that getting a majority was just if you somehow ran out the clock.

I really think that they tried to have it be viable to play in multiple ways because of the last big with the transformation thing, when it's far, far better to immediately transform to the speed mode and just play as if nothing had changed

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

History Comes Inside! posted:

There’s also that steak restaurant where the real life owner of the place becomes your buddy in judgment

I like that one because it literally treats the steak restaurant CEO like he's Jesus Christ reborn on Earth, a man who exists solely to spread kindness and joy in the world, one steak at a time.

DanielCross posted:

In a series with as many shitbags as this, Kaito Files takes the prize for its antagonist being the BIGGEST shitbag.

Yeah, it owns. I respect it for not going the route of "actually your dad still cared for you, even if he was a bad person." While attempting to cope with everything, Jun mentions his dad taking him on a drive or something near the end, and I was no "lol no way, they're not seriously going to try to redeem him," but IIRC it's just presented as Jun trying to rationalize this completely insane poo poo that has just happened to him (because seriously god drat, feel so bad for that kid).

It's also great that the story lets Kaito actually become family with Mikiko and Jun. Was expecting some sort of cop-out to prevent the DLC from factoring into any potential future games.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 29, 2023

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Arzaac posted:

My biggest problem with the School Stories is that they're mostly locked behind doing a lot of dance club. Once you get deep enough into dance club to start unlocking them it becomes a lot more nonlinear, but you gotta do a fair bit of dancing to get there. I spent entirely too long not doing any school stories because I didn't wanna do that much dance club and figured they'd just start unlocking as I progressed the plot. :v:

Edit: Would you believe that I never knew you could beat robotics by capturing the enemy base? Just learning about this now. I did the whole club winning by time.

Ya that is just stupid, they should have really made school stories a requirement to get further in the plot and actually infiltrating the school part of the plot. Also I have no appetite for the dance mini game after playing Y5 just before this and grinding on Haruka.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Ulio posted:

grinding on Haruka.

:nani:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Someone is about to get not-killed

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I was having such a good time in Y6 I forgot they snuck a bad RTS in there

But then I did meet Kiryu's old sadsack pocket circuit buddy and Akiyama's old sadsack trainer and that was pretty nice

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Wolfsheim posted:

I was having such a good time in Y6 I forgot they snuck a bad RTS in there

You apologize to New Japan Pro Wrestling right now

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The bad RTS can at least be brute forced by just sending an army of grenade guys, and more importantly pays out the rear end, so there’s worse side stories in the series.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah it’s K2 that has the ‘you actually have to engage with the bad RTS’ version

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

History Comes Inside! posted:

Yeah it’s K2 that has the ‘you actually have to engage with the bad RTS’ version

Not if you say gently caress it and buy some of them dlc cards

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Pretty sure both 6 and K2 just force you to do the RTS once to advance the story then you can completely ignore them if you like. Same deal with all of the 'big' minigames in the series, iirc (real estate, hostess clubs, everything involving haruka in 5, business in 7, farming in Ishin and probably more I've forgotten).

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah I mean from an if you wanna clear the content perspective rather than being forced to play it.

In 6 you can just spam the spawn a guy button and overwhelm every single level by sheer number of dudes without even looking at the screen, where in K2 because they reverse the format and have the waves of dudes spawning at you, you have to pay a little more attention to spam your guys in useful places.

It’s not difficult by any stretch of the imagination but it’s not as mindlessly simple to brute force your way through it for sweet sweet completion points and cash as it is in 6.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I loved being able to give all the characters some attention myself. Also that you can hire an active member of the Diet who brings a rocket launcher.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
More adventures in Yakuza 6: THE SONG OF LIFE

Had to take a selfie with the Hiroshima crew, because if I know my RGG games one or more of them will have tragically died by the end of the game.

I also liked bringing Nagumo and Yuta to Kamurocho and watching everyone treat them like country bumpkins. More shades of Yakuza 3.

I also really enjoyed this substory where you meet a random Chinese guy bombing trash cans and it turns out he's part of some crappy remnant of the Snake Flower Triad, Kiryu's kind of B-tier antagonists from Yakuza 1-3. Sadly they do not bring up how Lau Ka Long dies* in 3, being executed by Kiryu's dead mentor's twin brother CIA agent. 3 is so loving dumb, it rocks.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
As a young weeb, I got copies of the Japanese Live Action Death Note movies, and the actor who played Light is also the face/voice of Yuta. I keep expecting him to suddenly smirk at the camera, then someone clutches their chest and drops dead.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
kazuma kiryu has never killed anyone (with the death note)

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Not even the guys he throws out of this window of the Millenium Tower?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

A good poster posted:

Why do I know these games so well that I can say I think this is not the Millennium Tower, but Kamurocho Hills

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

A good poster posted:

paraphrasing discworld

quote:

Murder was in fact a fairly uncommon event around Kazuma Kiryu, but there were a lot of suicides. Attacking him near a high window was suicide. Flying a helicopter around him was suicide. Standing in the general vicinity of a bicycle was suicide. You could commit suicide very easily, if you weren't careful.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

paraphrasing discworld

Never been a truer LAD post.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

ZiegeDame posted:

Why do I know these games so well that I can say I think this is not the Millennium Tower, but Kamurocho Hills

Nuts. I only remembered taking that screenshot during Y5, and when I found it I also found this shot of getting rear-ended during a conversation in the taxi.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Hell yeah its the boys!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Oxxidation posted:

paraphrasing discworld

Transposing Yakuza to Ankh-Morpork would work ridiculously well. Makes me picture some sort of AU where Carrot ended up joining the Thieves Guild instead. (and a running gag that he never actually gets around to doing any stealing)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

baka mitai but he's staring forlornly at a picture of a hedgehog

boss battle against The Librarian in order to learn the powerful counter move, Orangutan Drop

the hostess club minigame but it's in the Shades, hosted by Rosie Palm, and is otherwise exactly the same

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Like a Swamp Dragon.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

DanielCross posted:

As a young weeb, I got copies of the Japanese Live Action Death Note movies, and the actor who played Light is also the face/voice of Yuta. I keep expecting him to suddenly smirk at the camera, then someone clutches their chest and drops dead.

He's the main character of Battle Royale too!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I kind of want to see the substory where kiryu stumbles across the death note

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I got to play the demo of Gaiden at PAX and it rules. Style switching for Kiryu is back, and he has a new “Agent” style where holding down a face button augments the move with one of his new gadgets. Like holding grab activates his grab whips, rocket boots, drones, grenades, etc, it’s rad.

The coliseum also lets you play as non-Kiryu characters, including Majima and Diaper Guy