Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Disney Cartoon Villain or at least Villain's mascot.

Fives a Crowd by B. B., on Flickr

Windy by B. B., on Flickr

And, the picture I almost get every season they get busy.

So close to getting the shot by B. B., on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

That's great !

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

torgeaux posted:

Disney Cartoon Villain or at least Villain's mascot.

And, the picture I almost get every season they get busy.

So close to getting the shot by B. B., on Flickr

Now I have Iago in my ears when looking at these things! Would love to have hummingbirds back here.

That film look is so classic!

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

You are my favorite photographer on SA

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Look at this sorry rear end molting magpie:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

if these are made with feathers i think i have a copy of or something very similar to the quetzal piece, i just need to dig it up and grab a picture

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

You are my favorite photographer on SA

I don’t know if I deserve that title but thank you anyway!

my cat is norris posted:

if these are made with feathers i think i have a copy of or something very similar to the quetzal piece, i just need to dig it up and grab a picture

Yep, they’re made with real feathers

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Spotted Sandpiper

Ring-billed Gull (i think)

Juvenile Bald Eagle

Common Loon

And just a shout out to DxO Photolab. Constantly blown away by its lens profiles. the sony 200-600 does NOT produce images this sharp out of the camera.

Unexpected
Jan 5, 2010

You're gonna need
a bigger boat.
Hi. Does anybody have experience shooting wildlife with Nikon Z9 or Z8 + Sigma 60-600? Either using the old version + FTZ adapter or new version (e.g., Sony-E) + adapter. Thanks.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Found this guy today, I think he's a Blue Rock Thrush but I could be mistaken.

Really fantastic colouring and luckily he wasn't particularly skittish so I could get pretty close before he noped out.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I think you're right.

Beautiful bird!

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Strangely sultry...

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Incredulous Dylan posted:

Strangely sultry...

She knows how to model

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I still find birds the hardest thing to photograph sharply, but I am slowly getting better

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Juvenile Bald Eagle

Fantastic!

Beautifully captured in the sunlight

Look at this little cowboy with his straw in his mouth! I love this photo so much

Wow!

blue squares fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 22, 2023

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Got some Crocosmia plants that have been blooming since late July and the hummingbirds are in love with them.

Also finally snapped a tribute to the thread:

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

A+, hummingbirds are impossible

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Great loving pictures. What are your exposure settings?

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've read that 1/4000 will freeze the wings but tougher to swing when those apertures get smaller. Looks great!

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

blue squares posted:

Great loving pictures. What are your exposure settings?

1/2500 seems like a pretty good sweet spot with a f5.6 zoom so far. It doesn't always freeze the wings but it does well enough without having to blow the ISO into sandpaper territory. The real hero in all this is Lightroom denoise which makes higher ISO much less of a concern.

Edit: At 1/2500 as long as you got a camera that can slam frames per second you're gonna get a shot with "frozen" wings when they hit the end of a stroke and have to reverse. This is what happened in the first shot above. Otherwise as pointed out you'll need to push into 1/4000 and at that point the sun is your only friend.

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 27, 2023

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
That last one is gorgeous I think with hummingbirds I like the shots where the wings have blur.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I always think the white behind the eye is part of their actual eye. Great shots!

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Immature black-tailed gull just barely scratching the glass :swoon:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Went to the newest National Park - Glenthorne National Park-Ityamaiitpinna Yarta - around the corner from my home Sunday, walking paths and forestation are still a work in progress (it's on the site of an old CSIRO research farm), found these dudes by accident just past the far end of where I was walking. Zoomed as close as I could with my feet and a sigma 100-400 in crop mode, but now I want more. Forgot to turn on burst mode so only got one semi-good photo from the one in flight opportunity.

The white one is a Black-Shouldered Kite, but with their grey eyes I can't tell what the other two are, plus there was a fourth slightly larger and browner one I didn't get a good look at a couple trees further back.

My first proper raptor photos though outside of some fuzzy long range shots of Swamp Harriers a couple years ago, looking forward to trying again better prepared :buddy:

Also the local colouration of the Rosella, which is believed to be a hybrid of the Crimson Rosella and Yellow Rosella, which has orange feathers!

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Aug 28, 2023

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

RillAkBea posted:

Immature black-tailed gull just barely scratching the glass :swoon:

That is a great moment to catch!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

This guy was so loud in my back yard tree. Not as sharp as I'd like, but handheld and at 400mm and losing light, its tough. They don't sit still for longer than a couple seconds!

blue squares fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Aug 29, 2023

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

those are good bird pics, good series

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

What's going on here?

Hope I'm not posting too much myself

313A5566-Enhanced-NR

313A5536-Enhanced-NR

313A5478-Enhanced-NR

313A5463-Enhanced-NR

313A5380

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

blue squares posted:

What's going on here?

it is a house finch perched by a wrought iron bird

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

My fiancee is big into birding so I picked up a 200-500 lens this year to use when traveling to birding conventions with her. We went to the Southeast Arizona Birding Festival earlier this month. If you're ever in Southeast Arizona, the Ash Canyon Bird Sanctuary is a must hit spot for viewing hummingbirds.

Ash Canyon Bird Sanctuary-34 by Will King, on Flickr

Ash Canyon Bird Sanctuary-50 by Will King, on Flickr

Southeast Arizona Birding Festival-71 by Will King, on Flickr

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

so does everyone else have a thousand photos in the genre of "better take a pic of that big bird in case it's an eagle or someth---nope just a vulture"?

or my other favorite: "picture of a red leaf I thought might be a cardinal"

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Fellatio del Toro posted:

so does everyone else have a thousand photos in the genre of "better take a pic of that big bird in case it's an eagle or someth---nope just a vulture"?

or my other favorite: "picture of a red leaf I thought might be a cardinal"

I find the zoomable EVF saves me most of the "is that an interesting bird or just another wood pigeon" shots these days.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

jarlywarly posted:

I find the zoomable EVF saves me most of the "is that an interesting bird or just another wood pigeon" shots these days.

The EVF is quite the help for this, yeah :sun:

Ohai.

Bai! :haw:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

:lmao:

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
The hummingbirds finally found my feeder so I stuck my GoPro on it and surprisingly they weren’t bothered by it. It’s been a hoot watching them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Junco on model-8342 on Flickr

Junco on model-8333 on Flickr

Junco on model-8325 on Flickr

Junco on model-8339 on Flickr

Junco on model-8371 on Flickr

Junco on model-8375 on Flickr