Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

zoux posted:

Probably is to the GOP electorate

Not-insignificant chunk of the base is still asking questions like « so you catholic or christian? »

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

FlamingLiberal posted:

Wow here's a blast from the past

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1695931894045544506?s=20

Apparently he died from pancreatic cancer which is possibly the worst way you can go from cancer

Pancreatic cancer is a bitch. My aunt had it. It was 6 weeks between her diagnosis and funeral. That poo poo can gently caress right off.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/justinbaragona/status/1696252407951335558

People with addictions to right wing media spheres keep going on racist mass murder sprees and that is, of course, the fault of Joe Biden.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/VivekGRamaswamy/status/1695953575501795830

Well, good news Vivek

Also I was reading that Ramaswamy ascribes to a weird sect of Hindu that believes there is one God, and that God is Jesus, but he's also part of the Hindu pantheon, which is all one god, which is Jesus. I didn't really understand.

drat look at all those 30+ yearold voters.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

deoju posted:

Pancreatic cancer is a bitch. My aunt had it. It was 6 weeks between her diagnosis and funeral. That poo poo can gently caress right off.

What's crazy is that the only therapy that has had any success is a uber-expensive one based on, yep an customized to each patient mRNA vaccine.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/pancreatic-cancer-vaccine-shows-promise-in-small-initial-trial/

An mRNA vaccine prevented tumor recurrence after surgery in eight of 16 patients, but the therapy still needs to be validated in larger trials

Ironic considering all the anti-vax nonsense about mRNA.

Details: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-023-06063-y

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Okay then prove it you rear end in a top hat.

gently caress. I'm so loving tired of religious people that want to force this poo poo onto everyone.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

zoux posted:

Well, good news Vivek

Also I was reading that Ramaswamy ascribes to a weird sect of Hindu that believes there is one God, and that God is Jesus, but he's also part of the Hindu pantheon, which is all one god, which is Jesus. I didn't really understand.

Loonies and kooks sometimes enter into these diet [non-protestant Christianity] religions that are actually just fundy protestant sects with the numbers filed off so that they can peddle cross-appeal.

Anyway, Vivek is the fascist demagogue we are going to have to watch out for now and in the future, not so much Trump by relative threat level. By the time Trump eats his last hamberder there will be an army of these assholes lined up.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Judgy Fucker posted:

Belief in one god "in many manifestations" is pretty common amongst Hindus. Hindu mythology is also rife with avatars, earthly manifestations of divine beings. So between two of the anchors of Christian belief--the Trinity and Christ's divine nature--there's a lot of common theological ground to tread.

So yeah, it's probably really not all that weird.

I would love to see Ramaswamy actually try to explain the concept of Brahman to a bunch of middle American Christians.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
So does he eat beef or not

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Queering Wheel posted:

Okay then prove it you rear end in a top hat.

gently caress. I'm so loving tired of religious people that want to force this poo poo onto everyone.

There's nothing I've seen from this guy that says 'sincere religious person trying to push their faith' to me, fwiw. I get a lot more 'demagogue trying to send out specific signals' vibes. I think there's a substantial difference in the Wilhoit's law sense where the norms of religion don't bind someone engaging in that kind of activity in the same way they would a person who's sincerely trying to act as a religious agent.

MixMasterMalaria fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 28, 2023

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Boldly coming out against the tetragrammaton.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Name Change posted:

cross-appeal

:hmmyes:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Vivek Ramaswamy is finally a real Republican presidential candidate- musicians are telling him to stop using their songs.

quote:

Ramaswamy rapped along to “Lose Yourself” to conclude his appearance at the Iowa State Fair in mid-August. Eminem’s representation and BMI both confirmed to Variety that a letter was sent to Ramaswamy’s campaign lawyer on Aug. 23, “objecting to the campaign’s use of Eminem’s musical compositions.”

“BMI will consider any performance of the Eminem Works by the Vivek 2024 campaign from this date forward to be a material breach of the Agreement for which BMI reserves all rights and remedies with respect thereto,” the letter concludes.

If you would like to lose yourself in this performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaGb5ooswYA

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Why would a Republican try and touch Eminem's music when you have Kid Rock right there? Eminem already didn't care about losing fans for speaking out against Trump, and he has absolutely nothing to lose by humiliating this dingus.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Open Marriage Night posted:

Why would a Republican try and touch Eminem's music when you have Kid Rock right there? Eminem already didn't care about losing fans for speaking out against Trump, and he has absolutely nothing to lose by humiliating this dingus.

because fascists don't get and don't care about art

they love Born in the USA, Fortunate Son, and Rage Against the Machine

It's all aesthetics

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Jaxyon posted:

It's all aesthetics

Trump was using Bowie's Rebel Rebel (a trans anthem) at his rallies at one point. Paul Ryan said RATM was his favorite band. It's like they hear one line or melody and completely ignore the rest.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

It's all aesthetics

See also conservative "Trekkies" complaining about Trek being "woke" and "political"

Missing the forest for the trees with these idiots I believe is a feature, not a bug.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Also if pressed they'll probably just outright enjoy appropriating minority and subversive culture for their own and erasing its intended meaning.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
I mean there's no need to overcomplicate it, Eminem's music is good and Kid Rock's sucks rear end. Trump or Vivek can get a cease and desist letter but nothing is stopping ordinary people from consuming media where they don't agree 100% with the politics.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

zoux posted:

Well, good news Vivek

Oh drat, that reminds me that it's almost "They made it illegal to say Merry Christmas, Share and Repost if you're one of the 43% who isn't afraid to say it anyways!" season.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

zoux posted:

Well, good news Vivek

What's the 4 letter word he's talking about? My mind went blank.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

mmkay posted:

Must be a Cradle of Filth fan

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

mmkay posted:

I took it as "four letter word" just being generic term for "swear word" and he's just saying that we shouldn't censor ourselves from saying God like we do with gently caress/poo poo/oval office/whatever. Obviously no one is actually advocating for the censoring of God, but that sort of rhetoric plays well with conservatives.

IE: People who use the term "four letter word" don't actually have a specific word in mind, it's just a cutesy euphemism.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

mmkay posted:

“Good”

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also if pressed they'll probably just outright enjoy appropriating minority and subversive culture for their own and erasing its intended meaning.

I mean for Eminem it's pretty easy to see how much they love the raw anger/violence from Em and his misogynistic lyrics in his early career.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Corruption and lying (lying in public and not under oath isn't actually a crime, but you don't technically need to do a literal crime to list it in impeachment charges).

According to Jim Jordan, he received $60k (10% of the $600k that Hunter Biden and his business partner made from Russian and Kazakhstan-aligned Oligarchs in Burisma) in exchange for official acts benefitting Russia and Kazakhstan. Additionally, the contract that Hunter Biden's company received from a company affiliated with the Chinese government was a roundabout bribe because the revenue his company earned from that deal was money that Biden wouldn't have to spend supporting him if he had no income that year.

They have not determined what official acts benefitting Russia, China, or Kazakhstan he has performed yet and there is no evidence he actually received any money, but that is why they need the investigation.

Also, it is possible that, like the money from the company affiliated with the Chinese government, that the bribes never went directly to Biden and instead were given to Hunter Biden's company and Jim Biden as a work around bribe because it saved Biden from having to give them money. So it effectively went to him, but they just skipped the step of him transferring it to Hunter and his brother.

Thanks!

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Corruption and lying (lying in public and not under oath isn't actually a crime, but you don't technically need to do a literal crime to list it in impeachment charges).

According to Jim Jordan, he received $60k (10% of the $600k that Hunter Biden and his business partner made from Russian and Kazakhstan-aligned Oligarchs in Burisma) in exchange for official acts benefitting Russia and Kazakhstan. Additionally, the contract that Hunter Biden's company received from a company affiliated with the Chinese government was a roundabout bribe because the revenue his company earned from that deal was money that Biden wouldn't have to spend supporting him if he had no income that year.

They have not determined what official acts benefitting Russia, China, or Kazakhstan he has performed yet and there is no evidence he actually received any money, but that is why they need the investigation.

Also, it is possible that, like the money from the company affiliated with the Chinese government, that the bribes never went directly to Biden and instead were given to Hunter Biden's company and Jim Biden as a work around bribe because it saved Biden from having to give them money. So it effectively went to him, but they just skipped the step of him transferring it to Hunter and his brother.

Since it's always projection, should we be worried that federal GOP politicians are probably willing to sell us out to Russia for $60k?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The Department of Health and Human Services has released the first list of drugs that will be negotiated under Medicare as part of the IRA's new prescription drug pricing provisions.

The first year, they are restricted to only 10 drugs. They can add 15 more (25 total) next year, 15 more (40 total) the year after that, and 20 more (60 total for the third year, then 20 more each year afterwards) every year after that.

The 10 drugs they selected this year were the most expensive for Medicare and represent roughly 20% of all Medicare prescription drug spending for the current year.

Combined with the out of pocket Medicare cap from the IRA, the average Medicare beneficiary will save about $400 per year. People using any of the 10 drugs below will save significantly more than that, but the exact amount won't be known until they finalize the prices.

Unsurprisingly, the biggest costs for Medicare are treatments for diabetes, heart and circulatory system disease/failure, and arthritis.

The full list:

quote:

1) Eliquis

Used to Treat: Stroke and Blood Clots

Current Annual Cost to Medicare: $16.5 billion

2) Jardiance

Used to Treat: Diabetes and Heart Failure

Current Annual Cost to Medicare: $7.1 billion

3) Xarelto

Used to Treat: Blood clots, coronary artery disease, peripheral artery disease

Current Annual Cost to Medicare: $6.1 billion

4) Januvia

Used to Treat: Diabetes

Current Annual Cost to Medicare: $4.1 billion

5) Farxiga

Used to Treat: Diabetes, Heart failure, Chronic kidney disease

Current Annual Cost to Medicare: $3.3 billion

6) Entresto

Used to Treat: Heart failure

Current Annual Cost to Medicare: $2.9 billion

7) Enbrel

Used to Treat: Rheumatoid arthritis, Psoriasis, Psoriatic arthritis

Current Annual Cost to Medicare: $2.8 billion

8) Imbruvica

Used to Treat: Blood cancers

Current Annual Cost to Medicare: $2.7 billion

9) Stelara

Used to Treat: Psoriasis, Psoriatic arthritis, Crohn's disease, Ulcerative colitis

Current Annual Cost to Medicare: $2.6 billion

10) Fiasp; Fiasp FlexTouch; Fiasp PenFill; NovoLog; NovoLog FlexPen; NovoLog PenFill

Used to Treat: Diabetes

Current Annual Cost to Medicare: $2.6 billion

Press release and announcement:

quote:

HHS Selects the First Drugs for Medicare Drug Price Negotiation

For the first time, Medicare will be able to negotiate prices directly with drug companies, lowering prices on some of the costliest prescription drugs.

For the first time, thanks to President Biden’s Inflation Reduction Act – the historic law lowering health care costs – Medicare is able to negotiate the prices of prescription drugs. Today, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), through the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), announced the first 10 drugs covered under Medicare Part D selected for negotiation. The negotiations with participating drug companies will occur in 2023 and 2024, and any negotiated prices will become effective beginning in 2026. Medicare enrollees taking the 10 drugs covered under Part D selected for negotiation paid a total of $3.4 billion in out-of-pocket costs in 2022 for these drugs.

“For far too long, pharmaceutical companies have made record profits while American families were saddled with record prices and unable to afford life-saving prescription drugs. But thanks to the landmark Inflation Reduction Act, we are closer to reaching President Biden’s goal of increasing availability and lowering prescription drug costs for all Americans,” said HHS Secretary Xavier Becerra. “Although drug companies are attempting to block Medicare from being able to negotiate for better drug prices, we will not be deterred. The Biden-Harris Administration will continue working to ensure that Americans with Medicare have access to innovative, life-saving treatments at lower costs.”

The Biden-Harris Administration has made lowering prescription drug costs and improving access to innovative therapies a key priority. Alongside other provisions in the new law that increase the affordability of health care and prescription drugs, allowing Medicare to negotiate prescription drug prices will strengthen the program’s ability to serve people with Medicare now and for generations to come. The negotiation process will consider the selected drug’s clinical benefit, the extent to which it fulfills an unmet medical need, and its impact on people who rely on Medicare, among other considerations, such as costs associated with research and development as well as production and distribution for selected drugs. As a result of negotiations, people with Medicare will have access to innovative, life-saving treatments at lower costs to Medicare.

These selected drugs accounted for $50.5 billion in total Part D gross covered prescription drug costs, or about 20%, of total Part D gross covered prescription drug costs between June 1, 2022 and May 31, 2023, which is the time period used to determine which drugs were eligible for negotiation. CMS will publish any agreed-upon negotiated prices for the selected drugs by September 1, 2024; those prices will come into effect starting January 1, 2026. In future years, CMS will select for negotiation up to 15 more drugs covered under Part D for 2027, up to 15 more drugs for 2028 (including drugs covered under Part B and Part D), and up to 20 more drugs for each year after that, as outlined in the Inflation Reduction Act.

https://www.hhs.gov/about/news/2023/08/29/hhs-selects-the-first-drugs-for-medicare-drug-price-negotiation.html

Edit:

Actual Press article about it.

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1696496835605496040

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Aug 29, 2023

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Quixzlizx posted:

Since it's always projection, should we be worried that federal GOP politicians are probably willing to sell us out to Russia for $60k?

It's probably already happened, given everything about Dana Rohrabacher

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

mmkay posted:

Clearly he means the Tetragrammaton, the one true name unpronouncable by human speech, YHWH.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I would like to ask Vivek a question

https://twitter.com/dead_shot_ar15/status/1696344723886379243

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Orthanc6 posted:

See also conservative "Trekkies" complaining about Trek being "woke" and "political"

Missing the forest for the trees with these idiots I believe is a feature, not a bug.

Conservative Trekkies is just weird on it's face. Starfleet is literally the idealized embodiment of liberal beliefs. A post scarcity society where everyone's basic needs are met without the use of currency and social status is based on individual contribution and merit rather than inheritance genetic or financial.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?
From what I have been able to gather, conservative Trekkies completely miss all of the idealistic post-scarcity speculative fiction aspects and settle on "man, it would be really cool if I was a commander and had a group of people who had to do whatever I told them to do".

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Skex posted:

Conservative Trekkies is just weird on it's face. Starfleet is literally the idealized embodiment of liberal beliefs. A post scarcity society where everyone's basic needs are met without the use of currency and social status is based on individual contribution and merit rather than inheritance genetic or financial.

The civilian government, anyway. Starfleet Command still seems to be riddled with racists, wannabe authoritarians, and various other entitled egomaniacs. They're definitely presented as antagonists, but they make up a significant percentage of the admirals the Enterprise ends up dealing with, probably for selection bias/plot drama reasons.

If you're not thinking about anything at all, there's also constant tension/military conflict between various races and their opposing values/civilizations. Of course, you'd have to completely ignore that humanity is leading the multicultural paradise faction who want everyone to live peacefully together under liberal democracy, or at the very least live peacefully without conflict with each other.

Maybe chuds root for the Cardassians.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You're overthinking it. When conservatives like something, they decide that it must be conservative too, and work backwards from there to shoehorn their beliefs into it.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Fister Roboto posted:

You're overthinking it. When conservatives like something, they decide that it must be conservative too, and work backwards from there to shoehorn their beliefs into it.

They just saw the mirror episodes first and now are complaining that the commie crew from the parallel universe hijacked the show :argh:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Didn’t that happen with Captain America for real? Like during the red scare he became this virulent anti-communist far right Cap. Then when they dropped a lot of the content codes the writers had Real Cap come beat that guy’s rear end as an impostor, and explain that that behaviour is unamerican?

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
Every time one of these right wing crazy talks about God, two people on the edge quit going to church. The Christian church and the MAGA are falling out of an airplane, chained together. The church is now a political choice and young people don't like being called evil.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Jesus III posted:

Every time one of these right wing crazy talks about God, two people on the edge quit going to church. The Christian church and the MAGA are falling out of an airplane, chained together. The church is now a political choice and young people don't like being called evil.

Which is awesome. The death of religion benefits us all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
I long for it.