Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Old computers, hey?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

You Am I posted:

Old computers, hey?
Skid Row Debugged It.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

It wasn't easy but I managed some PC-98 couch gaming.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
It takes a lot to impress my retrocomputing brain these days but you definitely managed it there

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

1) wow
2) translated PC98 games are a thing?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

1) wow
2) translated PC98 games are a thing?
Yeah, there's a few out there. One good one is E.V.O.: The Theory of Evolution (46 Okunen Monogatari: The Shinkaron), which you might recognize from its SNES sequel.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
There's a few more but they were done by a guy using MTL and they're really bad. I think Dead is the Brain is one such case.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

The Kins posted:

Yeah, there's a few out there. One good one is E.V.O.: The Theory of Evolution (46 Okunen Monogatari: The Shinkaron), which you might recognize from its SNES sequel.

I've always been meaning to check this out because I like the SNES game.

Then every time I think to do it I look into it and realize it doesn't look nearly as fun as the SNES one.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

kirbysuperstar posted:

There's a few more but they were done by a guy using MTL and they're really bad. I think Dead is the Brain is one such case.

Dead of the Brain seemed pretty coherantly translated.

I booted up a translation of a game called "Desire" and it felt machine translated and boring. I noped the heck out of it when you find a girl on the beach who is literally described as "between 3 and 12 years old" :gonk:

Some of the Touhou games have translations, although they're pretty playable as-is.

And don't forget The Screamer, home of YOSPOS favorite DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Desire is explicitly an old henty game yes

hell it might be one of the ones reviewed on the front page

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Oh there's all of the Farland Story games as well, but the Basement Brothers said the translator jacked up the difficulty needlessly.

I got another Sharp X68000 Super in the other day. I'm hoping at least the mainboard is good so I can revive my Super that suddenly only plays Human 68K 1.x software. I am going to make a Youtube essay titled "Why you shouldn't buy a Sharp X68000".

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

It wasn't easy but I managed some PC-98 couch gaming.

What are your floppy emulators? I have a Henkan Banchou that does an okay job of running games already packaged as an HDI, but I've been looking for an FDD solution as well.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I have two Gotek floppy emulators with flashfloppy firmware. I got both from ebay. You basically just dial a disk image. It's great for trying out PC-98 games quickly, before trying to install them on the HD.

What model do you have? I have a PC-9821 Cs2. I don't know how the floppy connectors evolved over time but mine I think is an Amiga style 34-pin connector.

My PC-98 only included one floppy drive and a CD-ROM. The floppy power cable supported two drives, but I had to buy a floppy cable that supported two drives separately, and the case does not really support adding a second floppy drive (Gotek or otherwise) without some additional mounting equipment, so the second Gotek is just secured with some tape. The HD is a Compact Flash to IDE adapter wrapped in some anti-static bag stuffed in the enclosure because there is also no way to mount it without some bracket I am too lazy to make myself. I am scoring 0 points for aesthetics here.

My model has no gameport, and it sounds like gamepad support on PC-98 is pretty hit or miss. I just won an auciton for a gamepad that emulates key presses, although I read a review that mentioned noticeable input lag. I'll have to see for myself. I guess my only alternative would be to buy a Soundblaster or some other soundcard? Not really sure.

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

The HD is a Compact Flash to IDE adapter wrapped in some anti-static bag stuffed in the enclosure because there is also no way to mount it without some bracket I am too lazy to make myself.

Anti static bags are conductive, you're risking a short if they're contacting the adapter board at all. Besides that, sounds like a really sweet setup.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I’ll figure out a better solution then. I guess learning how to create 3D printed bits is an inevitable part of this hobby.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

I have two Gotek floppy emulators with flashfloppy firmware. I got both from ebay. You basically just dial a disk image. It's great for trying out PC-98 games quickly, before trying to install them on the HD.

What model do you have? I have a PC-9821 Cs2. I don't know how the floppy connectors evolved over time but mine I think is an Amiga style 34-pin connector.

My PC-98 only included one floppy drive and a CD-ROM. The floppy power cable supported two drives, but I had to buy a floppy cable that supported two drives separately, and the case does not really support adding a second floppy drive (Gotek or otherwise) without some additional mounting equipment, so the second Gotek is just secured with some tape. The HD is a Compact Flash to IDE adapter wrapped in some anti-static bag stuffed in the enclosure because there is also no way to mount it without some bracket I am too lazy to make myself. I am scoring 0 points for aesthetics here.

My model has no gameport, and it sounds like gamepad support on PC-98 is pretty hit or miss. I just won an auciton for a gamepad that emulates key presses, although I read a review that mentioned noticeable input lag. I'll have to see for myself. I guess my only alternative would be to buy a Soundblaster or some other soundcard? Not really sure.

I have a PC-9801 DA with two 5.25 floppies, so I know a Frankenstein card edge-to-pin connector cable is in my future at least. The DA only has a SASI internal connector and it's keyed in ways I can't figure out, so I connect the HD emulator via a C-BUS SCSI card. I'm guessing this is related to why I've never been able to boot blank HDI images.

I'm not sure about the architecture differences between 9801s and 9821s, but the non-FM C-BUS soundcards with gamepad ports were 500y/dozen when I bought mine & work with my generic MSX gamepads.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

I am going to make a Youtube essay titled "Why you shouldn't buy a Sharp X68000".

You can probably have me on as a guest. Unfortunately I threw out the Shop-Vac bag full of mud and bugs.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEtgzO-Im8w&t=399s

There's some factual errors, like I think the "V" in DOS/V is for VGA, not the number 5, and there was a PC-98 port of Windows 95, but still an interesting video.

NyetscapeNavigator fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Sep 4, 2023

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there a go-to Apple II PSU replacement that anyone can recommend?

I have two II+ machines (one legit, one knockoff) that have been colleting dust in favour of other projects, neither with a PSU so I can’t really judge how much effort either would be to get running if they need work, but I’m not terribly keen on just sourcing the OEM PSU at this point if there are better alternatives.

I was looking for a Mean Well equivalent but I guess it’s hard to find something that provides the negative voltages as well and I guess I’d prefer to just stick with whatever I can get off the shelf vs having to add additional regulators off the side.

My research is leaning me toward the ReactiveMicro Universal PSU kit for $90-ish USD+ship, but polling the community here in case I’m missing something super obvious.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I installed their IIc+ power supply in a machine and it was simple enough and has performed flawlessly. I can’t imagine the universal one for the rest of the Apple series would be any different. (It also can handle 110-240v which was handy for me.)

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I follow an unhealthy number of Apple collectors and ReactiveMicro is definitely the default choice.

I really need to order a few myself. Maybe after the Pippin gets here…

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Another more DIY option is to get a Pico PSU - small and cheap, highly efficient ATX power supply
https://www.mini-box.com/picoPSU-160-XT

and couple it up with an adapter for your system from PicoRC
https://github.com/dekuNukem/PicoRC

e.g.
https://www.tindie.com/products/dekunukem/picopsu-adaptor-for-apple-ii-ii-plus-iie/

But it's the sort of thing that might make more sense if you have other systems you might want to get up and running also and have more flexibility, rather than going for the straightforward dedicated replacement.

I need to pull out my Apple IIs and Lasers at some point and give them a check over, it's been a year or two.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Apple II PSUs are pretty easy to recap, I did mine. Thankfully it didn't have any RIFA caps in it, however the shrink wrap on most of the caps were shrunk down a lot, showing the system had quite a lot of use in hot environments.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
The worst PSUs have to be Commodore ones; they're essentially a transformer encased in a massive brick of epoxy. Can't imagine how much of a pain in the rear end repairing them has to be.

Did they ever made sensibly designed aftermarket replacements for them?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

armpit_enjoyer posted:

The worst PSUs have to be Commodore ones; they're essentially a transformer encased in a massive brick of epoxy. Can't imagine how much of a pain in the rear end repairing them has to be.

Most people just use a box between the PSU and the computer that stops the former from frying the latter. C64saver or something like that (is the project name). You can buy them from a lot of places for like 20-30€ because I think it's open source?

e: but yeah you can buy new PSUs as well, https://www.c64psu.com/

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Most people just use a box between the PSU and the computer that stops the former from frying the latter. C64saver or something like that (is the project name). You can buy them from a lot of places for like 20-30€ because I think it's open source?

e: but yeah you can buy new PSUs as well, https://www.c64psu.com/

I have one of those PSUs and it has worked well. Not that a C64 PSU has to do amazing things.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

armpit_enjoyer posted:

My Commodore PSUs poo poo the bed twice. The repair guy didn't even consider fixing them to be an option.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Gynovore posted:

My Commodore PSUs poo poo the bed twice. The repair guy didn't even consider fixing them to be an option.

Hey since this is the old games thread, you've had that avatar for a long time, what the hell is it from?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Pham Nuwen posted:

Hey since this is the old games thread, you've had that avatar for a long time, what the hell is it from?

It's a screenie from the MMORPG City of Heroes, which came out in '04, was killed in '12, and was brought back by fans in '19.

The game had the best character designer ever, with more options than you can imagine. One of the many features is that if you create a supergroup (i.e. guild) you can assign custom colors to it, and switch to them with one button. You can even assign SG colors to only certain parts of your costume. I discovered that on the default costume for the Night Widow class, the chest was a separate costume zone, so I set only them to SG colors, thus allowing me to, er, flash my bewbs.

BTW I recognize where you got your username from but am scared to ask about the avatar.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Gynovore posted:

BTW I recognize where you got your username from but am scared to ask about the avatar.

I bought the picture without coins for myself, because I saw it posted on these forums and liked it. Then I posted in the bitcoin (buttcoin lol) thread and somebody made & bought this absolute loving masterpiece for me.

edit: also my username came about because I didn't think of a username before registering and just started looking wildly around my room for something, anything I could type into the little box. Glad my eyes fell on a Vinge novel or else my username could have been "coke can", "dirty dishes", or "giant buttplug"

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 11, 2023

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Pham Nuwen posted:

or "giant buttplug"

Surely this would've been taken already

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
found out about this guy over on github who's been doing ports of a bunch of old 90's and early aughts Mac games to modern computers, with approval from the original publisher for most of them; https://github.com/jorio

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

found out about this guy over on github who's been doing ports of a bunch of old 90's and early aughts Mac games to modern computers, with approval from the original publisher for most of them; https://github.com/jorio
They're pretty good ports! You can also get them on Itch if you prefer that platform.

Other ports of Mac games to modern platforms, should that be a thing you're interested in:
Aerofoil (free) - Modern port of Glider Pro by a Goon
Maelstrom (free) - Doesn't seem to run properly on my system anymore for some reason...
Glypha: Vintage ($5) - Modern remake of Glypha by the original author

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

The Kins posted:

They're pretty good ports! You can also get them on Itch if you prefer that platform.

Other ports of Mac games to modern platforms, should that be a thing you're interested in:
Aerofoil (free) - Modern port of Glider Pro by a Goon
Maelstrom (free) - Doesn't seem to run properly on my system anymore for some reason...
Glypha: Vintage ($5) - Modern remake of Glypha by the original author

that android Glider port is pretty darn cool

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Grind, an FPS game made for the Amiga using the Dread engine just released a new showcase video, minimum requirements for the game is an Amiga 500 with 1 mb of ram:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doD7hmlKun8

Here it is running on a real Amiga 500:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3_3J7YPaaE

Looks great and runs pretty smooth on the Amiga 500, there's also an ST and a Mega Drive version in the works.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Kamrat posted:

Grind, an FPS game made for the Amiga using the Dread engine just released a new showcase video, minimum requirements for the game is an Amiga 500 with 1 mb of ram:

After Wolf3d came out, I tried making an FPS. On my 386sx, I wasn't running fast enough to go full screen (Wolf3d didn't run great either) but I added "flexible wall height" to my square-based map. Thought I was pretty hot stuff.

Then Doom came out, with its polygon map and semblance of lighting, and I was pretty discouraged. Really impressive - but I had ideas on how I could make that stuff work. Maybe. But what really killed me was the textured floors. I was going to have to skip across a bitmap in 2d? Every line? Seemed totally unfeasible performance wise.

So I'm glad to see that's still a high bar, even with modern shared ideas and tools.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Amiga really isn't very suited to real-time 3D of the kind popular in the early-90s for various technical reasons (chunky vs. planar graphics display stuff). It's clear that Grind is sacrificing certain concepts like floor textures and varying floor height to maintain a playable framerate on the humble A500, but it's great to see how modern knowledge and tools can shift the limits of what was possible in the hardware's contemporary era.

Also, the pixel art is very nice.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

The Kins posted:

The Amiga really isn't very suited to real-time 3D of the kind popular in the early-90s for various technical reasons (chunky vs. planar graphics display stuff). It's clear that Grind is sacrificing certain concepts like floor textures and varying floor height to maintain a playable framerate on the humble A500, but it's great to see how modern knowledge and tools can shift the limits of what was possible in the hardware's contemporary era.

Also, the pixel art is very nice.

Yeah it's a real technical achievement, for playing on an A500 it's real smooth, obviously I would rather play it on a A1200

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Stuart "Ahoy" Brown made a mini documentary some years back about the various attempts at bringing Doom-clones to the Amiga. You can really appreciate what a technical marvel Grind is just by comparison alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv6aJRGpz_A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

Stuart "Ahoy" Brown made a mini documentary some years back about the various attempts at bringing Doom-clones to the Amiga. You can really appreciate what a technical marvel Grind is just by comparison alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv6aJRGpz_A

Good video. And a sad reminder of the Amiga's demise. The first proper Doom clones came out around 1995 and that was already two years after Doom.

My family jumped from Amiga to PC in 1993 and I feel like that was a very good spot where PC pretty much overcame Amiga in all areas.