Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Brexit is "I don't need no stinkin' union, I can negotiate for myself just fine all alone!" writ on a nation state scale. The U.K. govt being on the correct side of this conflict probably has something to do with rage at all the russian polonium ninjas running through their back yard a few years back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

StoryTime posted:

I was trained to operate a gun that the Finnish Defence Forces call a howizer, and it still had direct fire optics on it so whatever. You'd never want to fire that thing at a tank since a tank is going to be far better at that game, but you also don't want to be in a tank getting hit by something capable of launching a very heavy explosive projectile 30km away.

Artillery makes for a really gently caress-off huge shotgun with beehive rounds in direct fire mode.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Vampire Panties posted:

Seems like this has come up before and the consensus is they're surplus Albanian ammo

REAL EDIT

What would the Russians even shoot these from? they dont use 60mm mortars. They pretty famously use 81/82mm mortars.

I assume any mm mortar makes a splendid quadcopter bomb

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I'm so confused of what the gently caress the issue is. I said a d30 blew up a Russian spg. That actually happened I said that the front was moving closer to a town. The next day live UA map updates the map I don't report it confirmed till the map is updated. I've literally come here to give information that may not be immediate mainstream so you can all feel a little smarter when it does hit the mainstream. Like the Polish guy who said that no Polish news agencies were running the story about ppoland sending troops and mobilizing their border. Then two days later it gets announced. And didn't you all feel a little bit smarter knowing that you knew that two days before it hit mainstream channels even if you cast it as bullshit?

Poland and Lithuania have announced they are preparing evacuation plans for a "critical incident" they have not explained what any of this loving means and is probably not anywhere in the mainstream just yet. But tomorrow or the day after it will be.

Oh here's a post about this critical Incident:

https://www.devdiscourse.com/articl...itical-incident

The whole monster that I have is the fact that Ukraine can do things like this and Russia is not punishing them. I mean it's not lucky it's operational loving stupidity. I mean Ukraine was able to roll up to Crimea and plant a loving flag on the waters. They took on fire and returned fire. It's not like the Russians didn't know that they were there. A d30 got wheeled up and blew up a loving tank. Those two things are not mutually exclusive and both speak volumes about how Russia is responding to the counteroffensive. I mean you should never be able to wheel and artillery piece up without being torn to loving shreds either by a BTR infantry or the artillery. That's an enemy that actually knows what the hell they're doing, I mean really this just means that you crane can penetrate so deeply into Russian lines that there's going to be a point where they're pulling poo poo that the Japanese did during island hopping where they would literally lay in the grass wait for the American soldiers to pass them and then they stand up and shoot them all in the loving back. I mean it's a brutal example but things like that can literally occur especially with Ukraine move towards conducting night operations. Keeping the pressure up 24/7 every single day because they have the forces to do so they have the superiority in numbers to do so.

Overall these are symptoms of the same thing. The Russian military is faltering under the pressure of the counter offensive. whether it's a drone buzzing over your head all day long or an artillery piece blowing you the gently caress up or a tank rolling into your trench it is not stopping. It is literally Non-Stop combat against an enemy who is completely and utterly exhausted starving and dehydrated. Every time you climb out of the trench to go get a sip of puddle water there's a shot that cracks off or a drone flying overhead or a grenade that lands in the trench. At that point you basically give up and accept death. You make mistakes. You don't respond quick enough it's all come together in this now and that's why we're seeing the game start to pick up, that's why we're seeing the second line take a quarter of the time the first line took to falter. They do not have it the game plan is over The jig Is up.

I feel SO MUCH SMARTER when I believe one of your guesses and it turns out to match the future! It's such useful information that a man like me needs in order to feel smarter. Thank you for your service.

You're getting picked on by pedants because you are inferring things about artillery range and unit classification and using general terms incorrectly or ambiguously. Wouldn't you feel so much smarter if people didn't point out where what you're saying doesn't mean anything or suggests you don't have a complete understanding of a situation?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Lammasu posted:

drat, brexit was stupider than I thought.

This is always true, regardless of your opinion about brexit.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
I like War Crime Gigolo. :shobon:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I don't have anything against WCG in particular but I learned a long time ago, when a pedantic military nut is getting on your case about specific terminology you are not winning that argument unless you're an even bigger and more exacting pedant than they are

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I'm so confused of what the gently caress the issue is. I said a d30 blew up a Russian spg. up.

Fwiw I thought your inference about the range of the D-30 was clever and I only commented about the PzH2000 because I think military nomenclature is weird and messy sometimes.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Runa posted:

I don't have anything against WCG in particular but I learned a long time ago, when a pedantic military nut is getting on your case about specific terminology you are not winning that argument unless you're an even bigger and more exacting pedant than they are

They are called PUTTEES and they are a VITAL bit of KIT that the Ukraine military should be using RIGHT NOW so as to outrange the Rus' entrenched footwrap system.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

I feat this artillery pedantry is bringing this thread to danger close situation of summoning the Canadian artillery con-man.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Lammasu posted:

Wait, are you serious? drat, brexit was stupider than I thought.

100% serious I'm afraid. The only new trade deals they made after Brexit, which was supposed to usher in this golden age of free trade and economic miracles by finally being freed from the shackles of Brussels, were *checks notes* with Japan and New Zealand.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Finally, Buckfast in Japan

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

shadow puppet of a posted:

They are called PUTTEES and they are a VITAL bit of KIT that the Ukraine military should be using RIGHT NOW so as to outrange the Rus' entrenched footwrap system.

I don't mind WCG, and I think puttees are pretty cool looking. :unsmith:

seriously I bet a nice puttee could actually be a credible part of a formalwear fit.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Ronwayne posted:

Brexit is "I don't need no stinkin' union, I can negotiate for myself just fine all alone!" writ on a nation state scale. The U.K. govt being on the correct side of this conflict probably has something to do with rage at all the russian polonium ninjas running through their back yard a few years back.

Nah, while the public at large hates Russia for that, the Tory party love russia because of all the donations they give them to look the other way on all the blatant Russian money laundering in london.

The only reason britain ended up on the correct side is because boris is a egotist narcissist who think people believe hes a modern day Churchill.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I still maintain it's because the civil service and military have a centuries old imperial :qq: russophobia :qq:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

spankmeister posted:

100% serious I'm afraid. The only new trade deals they made after Brexit, which was supposed to usher in this golden age of free trade and economic miracles by finally being freed from the shackles of Brussels, were *checks notes* with Japan and New Zealand.

Australia got a very good deal from them as well, +0.001% increase to the UK economy over a decade. :lol: :australia:

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Drone_Fragger posted:

The only reason britain ended up on the correct side is because boris is a egotist narcissist who think people believe hes a modern day Churchill.

He was also hoping to distract the public from Partygate at the time

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Just Another Lurker posted:

Australia got a very good deal from them as well, +0.001% increase to the UK economy over a decade. :lol: :australia:

UK got absolutely bent over by the Aust deal. Tory's were so desperate for anything they screwed over their farmers and primary producers in ways Aust producers could scarcely have dreamed of.

Also yeah I like WCG too but mate sometimes just wish you would post sources

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Also yeah I like WCG too but mate sometimes just wish you would post sources

oh same to be clear. I know it's a fine line to walk, but it is nice to know why someplace is now considered in contention, since "a piece of russian kit blew up" and "there's tons of videos and they raised a Ukrainian flag in the city square" are different.

It's also weird to consider the opsec delay, where even the advance notice we get from WCG or other similarly early-run sources probably don't reflect something that happened today. I understand why it is that way and don't mind that either, it's just uncanny how our reaction to events is offset from the actual state on the ground.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the real cause of all the world's wars are tedious military pedants

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

steinrokkan posted:

I wonder what the Wagner mercenaries in Africa and their "clients" think regarding Wagner no longer existing

Usually stranded mercenaries that don't get paid turn into warlords that squeeze the local population instead

god please help me posted:

I like War Crime Gigolo. :shobon:

Me too - the only way someone can change my mind is to do a full factcheck of all his predictions and show that they're more wrong than right

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Anders posted:

Usually stranded mercenaries that don't get paid turn into warlords that squeeze the local population instead

This is why those billionaire survival bunkers give me pause, its not the billionaire locked up in his lair, its his hired goons realizing they can come out of the lair, roll up and divide the local resources and population among them and be modern day barons and Lord Humongi. Humonguses?.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

freelop posted:

He was also hoping to distract the public from Partygate at the time

It is the only good thing I can think of that he did in the entirety of the farce that was his kakocracy and it was for the wrong reasons.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

This is a bit late, but I'm posting for the one person who wants background for their pedantry:

Rust Martialis posted:

Per Wikipedia,

So an SPH and an SPG are technically different

And the historical reason is that in the early 19th century, you usually needed a different kind of gun carriage to shoot at low arcs than the one you needed for shooting at high arcs. This segregated your artillery into the two categories. Then someone developed the modern split trail gun carriage, which effectively allows both high-angle and low-angle fire from the same carriage without being excessively heavy. After that, most newly designed artillery pieces have been gun-howitzers.

Prettz posted:

SPG is a misnomer, since a "gun" is a direct-fire weapon

Low angle fire is not synonymous with direct fire. The massed indirect fire barrages from French 75s were fired from guns, not howitzers.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

It happened again: War Thunder players leaked confidential materials.

This time NATO Confidential materials to get a plane into the game.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Warthunder/comments/164c87m/it_happened_again_da7_eurofighter_typhoon_edition/

E:

Tuna-Fish posted:

Low angle fire is not synonymous with direct fire. The massed indirect fire barrages from French 75s were fired from guns, not howitzers.

This. And also there are plenty of examples from history of people using guns to fire indirectly. It was a pretty common tactic in World War I for multiple machine gunners to fire indirectly at presumed enemy assembly points, and leading up to World War II at least German machine gunners were specifically trained for indirect fire as well.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Lol leaking the manual of the eurofighter on the forums of a Russian videogame

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Austria flies Eurofighter, so the Russians already have everything up to parts milling instructions in their archives and know more about the plane than some of the countries that operate it.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Warthunder/comments/164c87m/it_happened_again_da7_eurofighter_typhoon_edition/

E:

This. And also there are plenty of examples from history of people using guns to fire indirectly. It was a pretty common tactic in World War I for multiple machine gunners to fire indirectly at presumed enemy assembly points, and leading up to World War II at least German machine gunners were specifically trained for indirect fire as well.

Who operates War Thunder? Is it a Russian company?

Because holy poo poo this keeps happening

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

TulliusCicero posted:

Who operates War Thunder? Is it a Russian company?

Because holy poo poo this keeps happening

Gaijin Entertainment, founded in Russia, currently headquartered in Hungary

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

spankmeister posted:

Wow the UK finally managed to make a free trade deal post-Brexit with with country that's less far away than Japan.

They might have to wait for the war to wind down before the Ukrainian sex-arse industry can cover for all the EU ones stuck in France.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

tiaz posted:

I don't mind WCG, and I think puttees are pretty cool looking. :unsmith:

seriously I bet a nice puttee could actually be a credible part of a formalwear fit.

I've spent days in puttees as part of events at local and foreign museums, charity stuff, camps, hikes and exercises.

Puttees are actually very nice to wear when you get good at wrapping them. They are obviously made obsolete by modern technical fabrics but up until the 50s they were still popular with British hikers as a good alternative to gaiters.

You can still find civilian NOS Fox's Improved Puttees for sale from time to time. They were the pinnacle of 1910 puttee technology being a full technical knit which was then pre shaped on a heated copper form.

It's an old technology that hasn't been relevant since the 40s. So if anyone should be fielding puttees it's the Russians.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Would footwraps and puttees be seperate items, or would you have a single piece of cloth covering the foot and then going all the way up the leg?

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

E:

Isn't that how the gpmg is used today by operating armies?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The Lone Badger posted:

Would footwraps and puttees be seperate items, or would you have a single piece of cloth covering the foot and then going all the way up the leg?

Separate. The puttee is on top of the boot.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
You can cheat and just get leather or suede zip ups that also go over short boots for horseriding and fetishing about, as you do.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

MrQwerty posted:

Lol leaking the manual of the eurofighter on the forums of a Russian videogame

Groundbreaking dead drop proposal: :justpost: (counterintelligence HATES it)

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

spankmeister posted:

At least your supply of magical girls and hobbits should be good.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Lammasu posted:

At least your supply of magical girls and hobbits should be good.

Both Sailor Moon and The Lord of the Rings would be vastly improved by the protagonists of the other IP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

edit: efb :kiddo: