Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Dawgstar posted:

And the poor DS9 crew kept sort of hanging around and waiting for their own movie which never happened.

Honestly, I'm kind of glad.

The characters all had their own arcs to the point that I don't know how you would make a cohesive and satisfying movie that didn't just ignore all but two characters.

I mean, the TNG movies did that as well, but they could have at least vaguely involved most people if they tried.

Plus, DS9 had several episode long arcs. It's hard to make a movie feel epic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming_Gremlin
Dec 26, 2005

Look at him. Dude's a stone-cold badass.
gently caress, for how much you all complain that Picard was an atrocity (and it was), you can't stop talking about it... It isn't going to surprise me at all when Paramount goes through "Legacy" or whatever god awful spiritual sequel they make. The engagement numbers will be through the roof.

I was rewatching These Old Scientists for the nth time, and I love the animated opening credits. New Trek goes way overboard with the "realistic" lighting on the ships and the over-abundance of aztecing. The animated version of the Enterprise is perfect. It doesn't look like a painted a toy, but it doesn't look like they just welded it together with random scraps of metal. I would love to see a live action version with that lighting and composition.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

AfroSquirrel posted:

You forgot to mention "Unregistered Hypercam 2" in the bottom corner

More like "Activate Windows"

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

Boxturret posted:

I'm imagining some sorry soul that was a massive fan of picard going back and watching TNG and being super confused why there's only like 6 borg episodes.

Before I started watching TNG last year, the way people spoke about the Borg and Lacitus made them seem like the biggest overarching villain in the entire story. Instead I got star baby, Keiko 'REAL MEAT?', Worf sexual screaming, Data and Spot and so much more. Granted, the episodes the Borg were included in were all pretty much good, but I feel like the true showing of the Borg was in Voyager.

EDIT: Adding to this, before I even started watching Trek at all I still knew that Picard was gonna get Borg'ed at some point. But I always thought that was an entire season and he would die at the end of it or something. Instead it was a two-parter and an INSANELY good follow-up episode when he's back at his family's vineyard. Honestly one of my favorite Picard centric episodes.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Screaming_Gremlin posted:

gently caress, for how much you all complain that Picard was an atrocity (and it was), you can't stop talking about it... It isn't going to surprise me at all when Paramount goes through "Legacy" or whatever god awful spiritual sequel they make. The engagement numbers will be through the roof.

I was rewatching These Old Scientists for the nth time, and I love the animated opening credits. New Trek goes way overboard with the "realistic" lighting on the ships and the over-abundance of aztecing. The animated version of the Enterprise is perfect. It doesn't look like a painted a toy, but it doesn't look like they just welded it together with random scraps of metal. I would love to see a live action version with that lighting and composition.

It's common that the worst events in history get discussed ad nauseum.

Screaming_Gremlin
Dec 26, 2005

Look at him. Dude's a stone-cold badass.

A.o.D. posted:

It's common that the worst events in history get discussed ad nauseum.

I guess that is true. It is just depressing when I check and see there are 50 new posts in this thread coming off a great season of SNW, and LDS starting up in a few weeks, just to see it is all about Picard sucking poo poo... again. But I guess it isn't like I am posting a lot about the good stuff, so be the change and all that.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
I want Badgey to just turn out to be Bill Cypher who is actually also a previously banished insane Q

Just go nuts and don't offer an explanation for any of it

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Speaking of DS9, I just finished the coup-attempt two-parter in season 4. Watching this for the first time in a post 9/11, gently caress even a post January 6th world feels really unsettling.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

The Picard mom plot was insane because it was like they were living in the 1800s or something.

Jean Luc Picard was a child in Victorian England who fell through a time warp and ended up in 24th century France. This is the only explanation that makes sense.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I'm looking forward to the first live action Trek filmed entirely in an abandoned mall.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Aces High posted:

Speaking of DS9, I just finished the coup-attempt two-parter in season 4. Watching this for the first time in a post 9/11, gently caress even a post January 6th world feels really unsettling.

I'm gonna recommend Babylon 5 to you right here. They leaned even harder into the rise of fascism.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm looking forward to the first live action Trek filmed entirely in an abandoned mall.

At the rate that malls are ceasing to exist across North America, the probability of that happening increases daily.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

T.C. posted:

Honestly, I'm kind of glad.

The characters all had their own arcs to the point that I don't know how you would make a cohesive and satisfying movie that didn't just ignore all but two characters.

I mean, the TNG movies did that as well, but they could have at least vaguely involved most people if they tried.

Plus, DS9 had several episode long arcs. It's hard to make a movie feel epic

an entire movie of ferengi shenanigans a la house of quark, little green men would have been fantastic

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Yes, I would watch a movie where Quark, Worf and Odo go on a mission to rescue Grand Negus Rom from Brunt and the soulless minions of orthodoxy.

Meanwhile, O'Brien and Bashir bicker about something

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

T.C. posted:

Yes, I would watch a movie where Quark, Worf and Odo go on a mission to rescue Grand Negus Rom from Brunt and the soulless minions of orthodoxy.

Meanwhile, O'Brien and Bashir bicker about something

they can start the movie like the airplane scenes in Dunkirk (to the point where you wonder if you stumbled into the wrong theater) and the reveal is that it's O'Brien flying the plane

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
No.

The movie is about Garak returning from Cardassia with an urgent message for Kira: He's alive. We found him. It's time for you to bring him home.

It's a political spy thriller about securing the release of Thomas Riker while navigating the fraught fragments of the former Cardassian Union and its colonies and labor camps seeking independence and or trying to dominate one another.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Atlas Hugged posted:

No.

The movie is about Garak returning from Cardassia with an urgent message for Julian Bashir: He's alive. We found him. It's time for you to bring him home.

It's a political spy thriller about securing the release of Miles O'Brien while navigating the fraught fragments of the former Cardassian Union and its colonies and labor camps seeking independence and or trying to dominate one another.

ftfy

can't have a spy thriller without JB

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I mean why not both? Garak and Kira partisan reunion trying to recover the physical body of Riker while Bashir and O'Brien have to hack into a Cardassian mind prison where his consciousness is being stored. Grand Nagus Rom has to rig Quark's holosuit to connect into the Cardassian system and it ends with O'Brien beaming Riker's consciousness into the wormhole where Kira and Garak are waiting with the body.

Sisko makes his on screen return, exiting the Celestial Heaven to merge the body and mind of Riker.

It'll ignore the comic canon, but whatever.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Why would Kira care about Thomas Riker anyway? They met in one episode and she thought he was Will for most of it.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
Speaking of Picard, time to watch it!
And I swear I'm not going into it with any intent to poo poo all over it. I am genuinely hoping that it can be fun or whatever, even if it is more like Nemesis than TNG.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Stalins Moustache posted:

And I swear I'm not going into it with any intent to poo poo all over it. I am genuinely hoping that it can be fun or whatever, even if it is more like Nemesis than TNG.

the first half of the first season has so much potential

everything after that, trash

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Why would Kira care about Thomas Riker anyway? They met in one episode and she thought he was Will for most of it.

She didn't know Will though, so realistically her entire relationship was with Thomas.
He betrayed her though so it's not like she'll want to help him.

When do they stop calling it the Cardassian Empire and swap to Union by the way?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Kira promised she'd go after him one day.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

A Kira/Thomas Riker romance would just lead to him dying.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Kira's made a lot of bad romantic decisions, yeah.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Atlas Hugged posted:

Kira's made a lot of bad romantic decisions, yeah.

Kira Nerys: Bajoran Taylor Swift.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Experience bij.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
Yeah I can definitely see why people reacted on this being a follow-up of Nemesis rather than the spirit of TNG. Considering that this came after Discovery too which was considered a disappointment, then definitely get why people are sour. I did not expect an Icheb getting his eye gouged and then being killed by Seven scene, but this is at the same time completely on par with the new Trek vibes.
I understand why people were really pissed at this, though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Just another case of the fans wanting one thing, the people involved saying "No, I want this other thing" then it turns out that sucks. Then they finally do what the fans want and it's pretty decent and then it ends.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Just another case of the fans wanting one thing, the people involved saying "No, I want this other thing" then it turns out that sucks. Then they finally do what the fans want and it's pretty decent and then it ends.

Yes. Before Picard came out the Paramount suits and PatStew were absolutely adamant that "this isn't sequel to TNG, this is about Picard" even when everyone just wanted a sequel to TNG.

The when they finally did make that "lets visit all TNG characters we could afford"-sequel to TNG, it is head and shoulders above the first two. Unfortunately that ain't much either.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

I did not expect an Icheb getting his eye gouged and then being killed by Seven scene,

Eh he's probably fine.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
Oh man, Seven going the full Vigilante routine. I wonder what Janeway would say about this.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

corona familiar posted:

ftfy

can't have a spy thriller without JB

Oh my god how did I never put that together

Alpha Protocol even slapped you in the face with the JB thing: James Bond, Jason Bourne, Jack Bauer

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Phy posted:

Oh my god how did I never put that together

Alpha Protocol even slapped you in the face with the JB thing: James Bond, Jason Bourne, Jack Bauer

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
James Brown, John Brown, JB Smoove,

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Rewatched LDS over the past week or so and realized that all 3 seaso finales leave the Cerritos hosed up in one way or another. First they get beat up by the Pakleds, then have to strip their armor off to traverse the debris field, then they get beat up by the Aledo.

Is the ship gonna survive the S4 finale? :ohdear:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's a super convenient way to explain upgrades to the ship model between seasons.

(They actually stick with that, the flashback to season one in 3x07 uses the old simpler season one model)

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Boxturret posted:

I'm imagining some sorry soul that was a massive fan of picard going back and watching TNG and being super confused why there's only like 6 borg episodes.
It's wild because there were so many TNG adversaries who could also be revisited. The Cardassians! That'd be great! They're ripe for checking in on to see how they're doing post-Dominion War and the "there are four lights" thing is just as widely memed as Picard facepalming or the Borg.

Grand Fromage posted:

Star Trek people being loving weirdos and living like 19th century peasants instead of embracing literal paradise was the least bizarre thing about season two.

It's pretty well-established in earlier TNG canon that you go off-world to a colony planet if you want to make a LARP culture, though. Remember the episode about the Irish stereotypes?

Der Kyhe posted:

Yes. Before Picard came out the Paramount suits and PatStew were absolutely adamant that "this isn't sequel to TNG, this is about Picard" even when everyone just wanted a sequel to TNG.

The when they finally did make that "lets visit all TNG characters we could afford"-sequel to TNG, it is head and shoulders above the first two. Unfortunately that ain't much either.
Season 3 is the Pavlovian season. It's showing you all sorts of stuff you like and hoping you like it through a reaction but falls to bits when you actually think about the context those familiar things are being put in, or any of the new stuff.

I will take being treated like a rat in a behaviourist experiment over being kicked into a gutter and pissed on for having the temerity to like fun, optimistic Star Trek, if I had to choose one of those two things, but I'd rather pass on both.

And I feel bad for anyone who actually liked season 1 and 2 who then watched season 3. They're probably rare, but they didn't deserve their goodwill being spat on like that. Season 3 dunks on anyone who liked S1-S2 just as hard as those seasons dunk on us for liking TNG. Remember the bit where Troi and Riker talk about how much they hated that house they lived in during Nepenthe? Came across like the show outright saying that season 1 was rubbish, and that's true but drat don't go around reminding us of it if you've realised that.

Warthur fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Aug 29, 2023

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It’s doubly stupid because dunking on a previous season is fine if you’re the same writing/creative team looking back on past mistakes and the season you’re taking those shots from is demonstrably better than what you’re making fun of.

Picard season 3 was neither of those things. If anything, it was actually worse because the plot was complete nonsense. Season 1 was bad but at least you could generally follow what the gently caress was happening. Trying to follow season 3 was like trying to guess that night’s lottery numbers.

Completely undeserved arrogance just because you pulled some references out of a hat each episode instead of even attempting to do something new.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Technowolf posted:

Is the ship gonna survive the S4 finale? :ohdear:

The series finale better be the Cerritos coming out of dry dock looking all Sovereign-class and fading to black with the captain midway through a "goddamit"