Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://twitter.com/scobleizer/status/1696054417446044042

'Actually, the fire truck was illegally parked, please donate to my son's medical gofundme to un-concertina his spine.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome
Im fine with it. I simply just wont have an accident.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome
what an rear end in a top hat

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

rotor posted:

Im fine with it. I simply just wont have an accident.

kadyrov on the persecution of lgbt's in chechnya:

"what are you talking about? we don't persecute them, there are no gays in chechnya"

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Robot: "humans are loving idiots, apparently"

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

rotor posted:

approved

imma do it :toxx:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Hook up a launchpad as your car UI. Session view button is the horn

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

we passed a Tesla the other day and either the guy had his hands super low down the wheel (like, on the bottom of it) or he was hands free except I didn't think you could actually use that here in the UK

unless of course you can just unblock it anyway because rules are for the little people (non Tesla drivers)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sapozhnik posted:

November is the absolute worst month, foh with that poo poo

- balls deep in non-DST
- days are already short and will keep getting shorter for another 1-2 months
- don't even have the winter solstice around the corner to look forward to
- christmas boomercore already blasting out the speakers in big stores

February would maybe be worse but it's a runt month and we don't have to tolerate it for as long.

there's a reason why turning the corner on the shortest day is such a huge celebration in pmuch every culture

i dont care about any of that. it has nodevember

JudgeJoeBrown
Mar 23, 2007

qirex posted:

I met a guy back in the 90s who would buy lowriders from guys in la and flip them in japan for big money. it's only super rich people who can afford to own them

photos of my 97 issue of Japanese lowrider magazine. You could also buy full blood and crips colors from the stores advertising in it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

JudgeJoeBrown posted:

photos of my 97 issue of Japanese lowrider magazine. You could also buy full blood and crips colors from the stores advertising in it.

:japan:

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
e: nm

armpit_enjoyer fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Aug 29, 2023

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

My biggest complaint about my car is the one-tap on the indicator stalks that temporarily lights up the blinkers only blinks 3 times, which isn't really enough to responsibly change lanes. They have a setting in the menu to change the amount of times it blinks.... but it only allows for 1,2 or 3 blinks.

So i can either fast and the furious all my lane changes... or they can just let me set that integer to whatever i loving want.

i swear to christ that developers who do the software for cars are completely up their own rear end and never considers the end-user.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

mystes posted:

It's probably just that carplay/android auto make it harder to charge people for dumb extra features like cellular data for the car. If you get rid of them, suddenly you'll probably need to buy a $100/month subscription and people buying escalades are dumb/price insensitive enough to be the perfect test

its this, but every automaker is trying to maximize services revenue however they can

it started with onstar but you can guess who they’re inspired by https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2021/10/06...like-tesla.html

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i was talking with a client about subscription licensing and he started grousing about bmw's heated seats, i pointed out that tesla is a far worse offender on the subscription gating front, but no one seems to think of them that way

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
At least BMW heating subscription deliver every item promised instead of a minimal part of the feature set on the paper.

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023
just let me give more money to e-lon for the footwell lights plugin

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

refleks posted:

My biggest complaint about my car is the one-tap on the indicator stalks that temporarily lights up the blinkers only blinks 3 times, which isn't really enough to responsibly change lanes. They have a setting in the menu to change the amount of times it blinks.... but it only allows for 1,2 or 3 blinks.

So i can either fast and the furious all my lane changes... or they can just let me set that integer to whatever i loving want.

i swear to christ that developers who do the software for cars are completely up their own rear end and never considers the end-user.
this may not be true now but for the longest time this (once?) upscale option was considering the end-user i.e. the target market never signalled lane changes at all, and never saw a problem

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

is that kid even wearing a seatbelt?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

fritz posted:

is that kid even wearing a seatbelt?

*ahem* as previously noted:

https://twitter.com/scobleizer/status/1696054417446044042

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Kenny Logins posted:

this may not be true now but for the longest time this (once?) upscale option was considering the end-user i.e. the target market never signalled lane changes at all, and never saw a problem

Only problem with that is that I am in yurop and specifically in Denmark blinkers are mandatory for all lane changes since like 2007...

(i drive a BMW so the jokes just write themselves wrt. use of blinkers)

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

french people go bananas for cowboys (coo-bois as they pronounce it)

they all love cowboy boots and levi's jeans and smoke marlboros and poo poo

so you’re saying when i go to france on vacation i should just dress up as a cowboy and they’ll accept me?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

refleks posted:

one-tap on the indicator stalks that temporarily lights up the blinkers

is that in addition to toggling the blinkers? never heard of this, i just toggle them for lane changes.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Eeyo posted:

is that in addition to toggling the blinkers? never heard of this, i just toggle them for lane changes.

yeah, you tap them up or down and they don't engage, but just blink 3 times.

It's meant to be used as like a courtesy thing and in cases where you are not fully turning and thus turn the wheel far enough to disengage back, but still need to signal (i.e. high-way lane changing)...

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

french people go bananas for cowboys (coo-bois as they pronounce it)

they all love cowboy boots and levi's jeans and smoke marlboros and poo poo

I don't love any of these things op

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

we passed a Tesla the other day and either the guy had his hands super low down the wheel (like, on the bottom of it) or he was hands free except I didn't think you could actually use that here in the UK

unless of course you can just unblock it anyway because rules are for the little people (non Tesla drivers)

his hands weren't free, but they weren't on the wheel either

also tesla probably has a lot less data from places that drive on the wrong side of the road like the uk, so i imagine that their self-dying ai model has a whole lot of new and exciting quirks when used in that mode

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

infernal machines posted:

i was talking with a client about subscription licensing and he started grousing about bmw's heated seats, i pointed out that tesla is a far worse offender on the subscription gating front, but no one seems to think of them that way

i think it's just expected that if you buy a tesla you're gonna have to deal with that kind of bullshit. it's part of the brand. for bmw people probably expect a fully functioning luxury car and not to be nickel-and-dimed for everything like a filthy poor

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023

Zlodo posted:

I don't love any of these things op

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Eeyo posted:

so you’re saying when i go to france on vacation i should just dress up as a cowboy and they’ll accept me?

only if you do it perfectly, otherwise they’ll make fun of you

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Eeyo posted:

if you’re american, or sound american (i.e. Canadian) probably right up until you say anything. you’ll be rejected even more harshly at the point you call any large monument, “cute”

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

rotor posted:

what an rear end in a top hat

didn't scoble already achieve infamy a few years back for tweeting out some weird in memoriam for a tesla victim, by taking photos and tweeting (while driving on tesla autopilot himself) about a spot on the highway where someone else's tesla drove smack into a barrier and killed the driver? or am i misremembering and that was some other idiot bazinga from the 2000s-era tech magazine opinion writer generation

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
lol if you aren’t obnoxious i found the french to be pretty friendly generally.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Blotto_Otter posted:

didn't scoble already achieve infamy a few years back for tweeting out some weird in memoriam for a tesla victim, by taking photos and tweeting (while driving on tesla autopilot himself) about a spot on the highway where someone else's tesla drove smack into a barrier and killed the driver? or am i misremembering and that was some other idiot bazinga from the 2000s-era tech magazine opinion writer generation

i don’t remember this one but it wouldn’t surprise me. he’s terrible

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

mediaphage posted:

The “French attitude” only really applies to Paris and only really then, as you note, if you’re obnoxious

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

mediaphage posted:

there's no such thing as "the french". there's parisians and there's the rest of france. everyone hates the former, including the former

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

i was assuming that the tesla'd have a no-seatbelt warning sound, that'd self-drive them nuts but maybe it does and they're just the same kind of people who habitually ignore their smoke detector's low battery alarm

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

there's no such thing as "the french". there's parisians and there's the rest of france. everyone hates the former, including the former

that’s my point tho i found everyone in paris to be super nice. they may not necessarily be polite but they’re nice, a lot like new york (which i also found to be pretty nice contrary to popular opinion)

shitface posted:

The “French attitude” only really applies to Paris and only really then, as you note, if you’re obnoxious

yeah. and like i said i found paris to be great generally, too. left my camera on a shop owner’s till once and the lady chased me a full block to return it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if you go to paris you don’t really need to worry about being “that guy” because you will probably never be more than 50 feet from someone else being an extremely dumb and bad tourist and you will look better by comparison

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

mediaphage posted:

that’s my point tho i found everyone in paris to be super nice. they may not necessarily be polite but they’re nice, a lot like new york (which i also found to be pretty nice contrary to popular opinion)

yeah. and like i said i found paris to be great generally, too. left my camera on a shop owner’s till once and the lady chased me a full block to return it

yeah they are (parisians) also fine. they definitely have some preconceptions (which don’t apply to me because I’m Scottish :smug:) about americans but you're absolutely able to escape those by not being a loud, arrogant wanker. then they'll treat you just fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

mediaphage posted:

i don’t remember this one but it wouldn’t surprise me. he’s terrible
lol yup, i think the original tweet was deleted (or else musk twitter is just falling apart), but I found the text of the original thread from 2020 here:

Scoble posted:

About 2.5 years ago Apple engineer Walter Huang died in his @tesla here.
The AI controlling his car made a deadly mistake.
This Thanksgiving I thank his family for saving probably thousands, and potentially millions, of families the anguish and grief they feel. @elonmusk thanks

the AI was retrained here and it made the entire fleet safer.
I trust it deeply at this point.

@teslaownerssv this is Silicon Valley history. We should put a memorial up. His sacrifice kept so much pain from happening in the future.
This video is handheld on my new iPhone 12 Pro Max. The image stabilization is so impressive and smooth. Wow.
I am driving southbound on Hwy 101. Taking the south 85 exit.
terminal brainworms. we need to put him in an asylum with no internet connection whatsoever, he must be airgapped for the good of society