Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

One's works always have an emotional core, you can't just cut the humans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Terror Sweat posted:

One's works always have an emotional core, you can't just cut the humans

rn the emotional core is being boring

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I'm thinking maybe one of the natural predators will get pushed to the brink by the others, and will lend their remaining forces and powers to humanity, who can then use them against a specific enemy. Then humanity targets the other predators one at a time, Megaman style.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

season two is when you find the natural enemies of these natural enemies.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

season two is when you find the natural enemies of these natural enemies.

Season three will be finding the natural enemies of the natural enemies of these natural enemies.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

it's cane toads all the way down

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Dunno which predator factions would even team up with humanity, I guess mad Max?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Caidin posted:

The crux of the manga is let's have a big old monster faction fight, but we also need to have a goodie faction to root for I guess but it's kinda hard to care when they're as disposable as A rank and below heroes but just plain dead and not in full body casts later.

That's not really fair.

A rank and below heroes sometimes win.

I know it's a drum I've beat before, but the weaker characters in Dragon Ball Z usually were presented as having a chance to do something. Sure, the villain so much as sneezed on them, they were dead, but they could do something sneaky to get the heroes the advantage, or stall so Goku could arrive, or they had a special move that might be able to get a win against the odds, although it usually didn't.

Here, there's no Goku, the super moves get laughed off pretty much every time, and the villains knew everything right from the jump. It makes it much harder to get emotionally invested since it doesn't even feel like a proper Hail Mary play. Instead, it's "they lose until the author gives them a pity win."

For another repetitive comparison, there's early Attack on Titan. Almost everyone died like flies, the Titans were presented as almost unstoppable... but we still got enough to keep hope alive. Jean's tactics and Mikasa's strength pulled small wins in a larger loss, even before Eren gave actual short term victory conditions. The heroes could only succeed with one-in-a-million perfect play, but that was still possible, and kept you looking for any mistake. Here, the heroes lose no matter what they do, so who cares when they mess up?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

For another repetitive comparison, there's early Attack on Titan. Almost everyone died like flies, the Titans were presented as almost unstoppable... but we still got enough to keep hope alive. Jean's tactics and Mikasa's strength pulled small wins in a larger loss, even before Eren gave actual short term victory conditions. The heroes could only succeed with one-in-a-million perfect play, but that was still possible, and kept you looking for any mistake. Here, the heroes lose no matter what they do, so who cares when they mess up?

Yeah that explains my feelings pretty well.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah which is why I think there's going to be another complication or twist (if not several) more. Like yes having a small group of people dealing with an effectively invincible opponent can be a compelling story idea. It's not that rare either. Especially with a focus on the emotional fall out of that and what do you do when you know for a fact that everything is hopeless, etc etc.

But if they keep getting drawn out into direct confrontations one after another in which they just completely lose every time it's just going to get really stale. Like we get it, natural enemies are unbeatable, now what? But ONE isn't nearly that pessimistic in his other works so I have to imagine there's something else coming that's going to change the status quo in some significant way. I don't think it'll be a thing that let's humanity "beat" the enemies since that goes against the premise. But maybe some way to change the nature of the conflict or create a way to make it irrelevant somehow.

We'll just have to see what happens.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
The the mission was already a success; the entire objective was to redirect the giants' migration away from the human base.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

That's not really fair.

A rank and below heroes sometimes win.

I know it's a drum I've beat before, but the weaker characters in Dragon Ball Z usually were presented as having a chance to do something. Sure, the villain so much as sneezed on them, they were dead, but they could do something sneaky to get the heroes the advantage, or stall so Goku could arrive, or they had a special move that might be able to get a win against the odds, although it usually didn't.

Here, there's no Goku, the super moves get laughed off pretty much every time, and the villains knew everything right from the jump. It makes it much harder to get emotionally invested since it doesn't even feel like a proper Hail Mary play. Instead, it's "they lose until the author gives them a pity win."

Their first win was having the demons and robots fight each other, second was saving all those people, and third was luring the giants to the neohumans city and saving the base. They heroes aren't losing, they're eking out very small wins with what little information they have.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

This is also like cp9 still on a monthly which is why it feels hopeless, how long until there was any hope on AOT (actual q never read)

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Yeah its worth noting that the robots, giants, demons and neohumans have suffered a lot of casualties while the humans have only lost a handfull in the process

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Collapsing Farts posted:

Yeah its worth noting that the robots, giants, demons and neohumans have suffered a lot of casualties while the humans have only lost a handfull in the process

It's uncertain whether the casualties even matter to them or will slow either enemy down in any capacity. While the causalities of major assets on humanity's side is going to be acutely felt. They have less people to begin with after all and only so many capable fighters/mages/etc.

Also even if it did distract the giants from the base, it still got Neo Humanity's attention. Here they are promising Alio that they are going to go look for the other humans and kill them all. So it just trades one threat for another and the base is still very much in immediate danger.

So it's hard to see this as a win. It feel's more like delaying the inevitable at the price of making their situation worse overall.

Though if Alio pulls some sort of miracle here that might help a little bit. Even if it's just him managing to survive this somehow.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

tbf the entire gimmick of this so far seems to be delaying the inevitable, though honestly im not sure how their situation can get worse since they're basically in permanent threat of extinction at all times, so any delay to the most immediate threat of that by definition makes it better

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
They just have to buy enough time for the World Tree or Curse to destroy everything and then... Win?

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Probably only a matter of time before the natural enemies start forming alliances with eachother.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Based on what we've seen so far, I suppose the parasites could work together with wild nature.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
My question is how did they expect the big burly guy from giant world to blend in with neo humanity once they got there

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

CharlestonJew posted:

My question is how did they expect the big burly guy from giant world to blend in with neo humanity once they got there

They didn't. I think the plan was for him to go home after.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

Between everything having an on-sight kill opinion on humanity and the giants being such savage brutes I think the idea was that the second they saw a crowd of 'normal' humans they'd forget about the ones that led them there and only be interested in destroying everything and killing Neo Humanity 'humans'

And then in all that chaos everyone else just runs the gently caress away.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

This is also like cp9 still on a monthly which is why it feels hopeless, how long until there was any hope on AOT (actual q never read)

Fair question, and it really depends how you define actual hope. That said, we happen to be at an excellent chapter number for the comparison.

Chapter 9 of Attack on Titan had the trainees execute a daring plan to take down a room full of titans, escaping the immediate crisis, and, more importantly, featured the reveal that series pro(?)tagonist Eren Yeager had not only survived, but he was the mysterious Rogue Titan who had been fighting for humanity, giving the heroes a new weapon that just might be enough to turn the tide.

So, yeah. Things were going much better.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Its chapter 9, why arent the humans winning yet?

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Things are going better for our humans here than they ever were at any point in Gantz.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

gantz kept getting distracted with tits tho

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

and vampires, for some reason???

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
I finally realized what neo-humanity reminds me of. They fight like fire ants.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Can't wait to see what the higher tier enemies look like. We know that the Giants have Tribal Chief Gimbak in charge of all of them, there's 47 Demon Kings and an unnamed Great Demon King so far. We know Jachi #11 and his Captain Kiva as well as #19's Nyudo. I really wanna see what Mad God and Gaming Hell world look like. Those two and the poisonous plague one seem more like 'Bad Zones' instead of something that has mobs that're hunting humanity like the robots, demons, giants and aliens are.

The junk collector posted:

I finally realized what neo-humanity reminds me of. They fight like fire ants.

Also yeah, I can see how they'd be insurmountable for normal humans to fight when they're that strong, organized and unconcerned for their own lives.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Aug 31, 2023

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

RareAcumen posted:

Can't wait to see what the higher tier enemies look like. We know that the Giants have Tribal Chief Gimbak in charge of all of them, there's 47 Demon Kings and an unnamed Great Demon King so far. We know Jachi #11 and his Captain Kiva as well as #19's Nyudo. I really wanna see what Mad God and Gaming Hell world look like. Those two and the poisonous plague one seem more like 'Bad Zones' instead of something that has mobs that're hunting humanity like the robots, demons, giants and aliens are.

Also yeah, I can see how they'd be insurmountable for normal humans to fight when they're that strong, organized and unconcerned for their own lives.

Gaming Hell world be like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is12anYx2Qs

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

No Wave posted:

Its chapter 9, why arent the humans winning yet?

It's not about winning. It's about having a way to win. They're different things.

In theory, Versus is trying to sell "pit all our enemies against each other" as that royal road, but the first attempt at that has already nearly resulted in a TPK that also gave the New Humans an even bigger grudge against the old humans. It feels less like the humans have a way to win, and more like they're going to have to be bailed out by the writer at every turn.

I keep going back to some of the same examples, I know, but look at Nappa versus team Krillin. They have no chance at all. Their super moves, at best, inconvenience him. But there's a clear win condition. If they survive until Goku arrives, they might turn things around. Every trick, failed or not, buys a little bit of time for him. And then Goku arrives when half of everyone is dead, and you know what?

He kicks rear end! Just clobbers Nappa, as Vegeta and Nappa are in utter shock that anyone could grow in power so much so fast. We get to feel good for a bit, and that makes Vegeta killing Nappa and then pushing Goku to his limits scary in a way it wouldn't be without the Nappa fight. If Nappa was tough for Goku, then Vegeta wouldn't be dramatic, just more of the same. As things stand, it's exciting.

Here, random mooks are just as likely to kill the cast as any demon lord, so there's no point where we either feel excitement for the success of the heroes, or tension because this new problem is different. (Something Attack on Titan nailed. The Survey Corps coming up with strategies that could beat regular titans reliably meant the Female Titan outwitting them upped the tension, and the Beast Titan ripping apart a guy who'd killed dozens of regular titans meant you knew that this thing was a problem in a way that previous enemies weren't.)

Again, it's not about who wins. It's about keeping the game from feeling like a blowout too early.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

One thing to keep in mind is that Kiva's arm is just hanging around the base and he can easily find it. So that's another threat on the list, in between the poison/parasites/bacteria floating around.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Again, it's not about who wins. It's about keeping the game from feeling like a blowout too early.

Yeah this is a great way to put it.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

One thing that really hasn't been well established at all yet is what are the real capabilities of the human survivors. How strong are Hallow and Alio compared to everyone else, what is the size of the population, what kind of weapons or equipment do they have at their disposal? In every encounter a bunch of robot world soldiers get slaughtered, but we never know how much this weakens them.

I expect ONE will further flesh this all out, but seeing that the alien world peeps have an orbital weapons platform begs the question of what else they got. I would imagine the giants vs Neo humans plan might have been more successful if they had just lured the giants using unmanned drones or something.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Raws up: https://tonarinoyj.jp/episode/14079602755178180638

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

"Rare footage of King actually angry!"

narm00
Feb 18, 2006
Looks like the translation's been delayed indefinitely, according to the OPM subreddit.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

narm00 posted:

Looks like the translation's been delayed indefinitely, according to the OPM subreddit.

Viz get to them or something?

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

Electric Phantasm posted:

Viz get to them or something?

Don't think so; they've not said what's up, but their existing translations are still up on Cubari, and they're still expecting this one out, just can't give a date or time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Indefinite as in stuff's going on and they don't know when the stuff will stop, rather than indefinite as a euphemism for forever