Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Orb of Creation update dropped to beta branch today. It's a very different progression now. Still the same core feel up upgrades all day but now each upgrade works towards a level up on that category (plus a global orb category), and when you level that you get a couple points to spend on unlocking researches or upgrading spell glyphs or artifacts. The limited points means it's always a tough choice on what to get, but the next point is on the horizon.

It's a wild swirling maelstrom of numbers and interactions and after the first couple minutes there is just no waiting around. You can always be casting or upgrading or tabbing around to spend resources or trying to figure out how to unlock the next thing.

Absolutely going to lose a couple days to this and maybe a second playthrough of the current content just to do it while actually knowing what's going on.

ive been messing around with this since yesterday, its good and feels very very different from the last time i played it but is there really still no way to autocast? i get that the game is intended to be relatively active play but spamming the same spells for hours is pretty tiring & tedious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

gay devil posted:

ive been messing around with this since yesterday, its good and feels very very different from the last time i played it but is there really still no way to autocast? i get that the game is intended to be relatively active play but spamming the same spells for hours is pretty tiring & tedious

Yeah I want to like OoC but the lack of any meaningful automation is uh...not great for me

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

you do end up very gradually building up automatic resource generation but seemingly still not for casting spells themselves. my generation is high enough to rely on buffs but recasting 4 buffs at max charge constantly is annoying

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The biggest issue I have with Orb of Creation right now is that you're restricted on how many things can be queued up to build at once. Nothing like needing to build 100 upgrades to get more research points and having to queue them up 7 at a time! No idea how to actually increase my queue either.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

through research, i think

Parallel Minds on the Innovation tab will allow you to do more than one development at once, and Improved Study will allow you to queue more. developing your Concepts will also mean the developments happen faster (like, instantly) so you can hammer them out in multiclick bursts

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

I think a few different research options add to max developments in queue

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

For reasons I can't quite articulate, I completely restarted NGU Idle and it's amazing what you take for granted- I just did the 100 level challenges all over a few days because I just couldn't stand not having smooth, automated boost transforms, for example.
I did the exact same thing, currently working towards my "first" UUG kill. Personally I didn't explicitly miss the boost transformations (though I also recently did the challenges because the boss target doesn't increase, and yeah those transformations are real good), but slowly inching my way back to 1 energy cost for basic training was torture.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
This made me check my NGU save.

It is now complete. All my NGUs are at hard cap.

I have 10 quadrillion EXP to spend, and everything else is capped out. Iron Pill would give me 193m to Adv Stats too. I miss NGU, but there's no way I could start it over again and be happier than I was loading up the save.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

aw man i cast Conjure Spring in orb of creation, with a Heavy 3 glyph. so it lasts about four minutes of generation, and then recharges for six minutes

but it keeps echo casting so i can't actually change my spell loadout lol

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

JavaJesus posted:

I did the exact same thing, currently working towards my "first" UUG kill. Personally I didn't explicitly miss the boost transformations (though I also recently did the challenges because the boss target doesn't increase, and yeah those transformations are real good), but slowly inching my way back to 1 energy cost for basic training was torture.

I think grinding out challenges is making that go quicker for me since you end up rebirthing a lot more often.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

aw man i cast Conjure Spring in orb of creation, with a Heavy 3 glyph. so it lasts about four minutes of generation, and then recharges for six minutes

but it keeps echo casting so i can't actually change my spell loadout lol

You can click on or press the spell number again to shut a spell off manually. Also echo casts don't trigger cooldowns and if you want to speed things up, slot in recharge (and spark generation if you need it to cast recharge).

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
(evolve) I’m pretty sure this balorg bioseed is going to take longer than a normal black hole. I’ve made a huge mistake

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I really wish I could fill that missing bestiary slot in NGU, or unlock more enemy flavor text.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

My evolve ascension run is going much better than I expected it to go for how little mastery I have (48%). It's been less than a week and I'm already building the gravity chamber on Sirius. Granted I edit my save to give me permanent double time but that's the extent of my meddling. It's only a 0 star but I'm more interested in the accomplishment of doing it than the reward. I think I can finish up over the weekend.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

gay devil posted:

What spells are you casting that require hours of spamming? Don't use cantrips that much past very early game, basically bumrush to alchemy and stack 5-6 of the spell that boosts transmute/refinement and you will be fine. Almost anything in the game can get generation into the infinite with stacking 5-6 of the same generator boosting spell like that.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
how do you even download beta branches with the new steam UI?

e: had to restart steam

Saraiguma fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 25, 2023

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

(Evolve) I've built the Ascension Machine but now I have to power it! I guess I'll just need to build the 80 thermal collectors so I can turn enough stuff off without losing population. :cry:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

SettingSun posted:

(Evolve) I've built the Ascension Machine but now I have to power it! I guess I'll just need to build the 80 thermal collectors so I can turn enough stuff off without losing population. :cry:

Shame Leo’s 4% free energy thing ended this week.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I scraped together my first Technophobe ascension (4*, no less) two days before Leo ended and it was still terrible. I had somehow managed to forget that the 50% power demand increase would also apply to the Ascension Machine. Ended up staying around on the final upgrade long enough to research and dip into Inferno Power lmao

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
The first technophobe is always the hardest as the 50% increased thermal power is a lifesaver. Decay and Cataclysm also have some decent power boosters.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
The technophobe 4* was such a pain because you get to the ascension machine and you're thinking you've been planning for this, so you'll be better off... but you aren't ready. It's still so bad.

I'm 1 million knowledge away from the end of my 4* orbital decay, my supercollider is close to level 110 because almost everything else is basically maxed out.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Is the general rule in NGU to keep XP spent on Magic and Energy Power and Cap roughly balanced?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Orb of Creation: Oh holy gently caress I hate myself. I have been bashing my head against the wall trying to figure out what I'm missing to get either the Alchemy tome or SOMETHING to let me progress further and unlock more things, and it turns out I had already learned Create Spring god only knows how long ago, I just... never cast it. It's been sitting in my spell list this entire time, just waiting for me to actually cast it so I can make the Alchemy table, and I've been overlooking it this entire time like a dumbfuck.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Pope Guilty posted:

Is the general rule in NGU to keep XP spent on Magic and Energy Power and Cap roughly balanced?

At the beginning you push energy hard, magic is enough slower that it doesn’t make sense to push until after about the third boss iirc?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Yeah one bad thing about Orb of Creation is that most unlocks don't show up until you have some of the resources needed for it, the Alchemy table is kind of an exception because it's an upgrade on a sub menu that's pretty easy to forget about and you see the requirements waaaaay before you can unlock them.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

is there much more in the orb of creation beta once Scribing unlocks?

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

is there much more in the orb of creation beta once Scribing unlocks?

That's about where I found the current content to run out. Rituals will come later it seems.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Really enjoying Ironwood RPG. Sent a request for the GOONS guild under Teacup

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I have pondered orb with Jorb's stream. Now I install orb. Soon I will ponder orb.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
I'm incredibly stuck in orb of creation, I've spent hours pushing random poo poo trying to get progress but I can't find any. There are no upgrades and I can't get any to spawn. Anyone have any idea?

https://pastebin.com/MSqjqRXh

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
i'm itching to re-ponder this orb but from the Steam updates it feels like things are still in flux

but given the dev perhaps they will eternally be in flux

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Anyone else having an issue in the Steam version of Unnamed Space Idle where it just keeps saying it has bugfixes to download, but no matter how many times you exit out of the game, it never downloads them?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I had that issue and found it helpful to close all the steam games I had running, not just USI.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Saraiguma posted:

I'm incredibly stuck in orb of creation, I've spent hours pushing random poo poo trying to get progress but I can't find any. There are no upgrades and I can't get any to spawn. Anyone have any idea?

https://pastebin.com/MSqjqRXh

the pastebin's dead. where are you up to?

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

the pastebin's dead. where are you up to?

it turns out there was a single elemental refinement I hadn't yet used and it unlocked that and then ink

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

teacup posted:

Really enjoying Ironwood RPG. Sent a request for the GOONS guild under Teacup

Also request sent.. EvilElmo

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french

EvilElmo posted:

Also request sent.. EvilElmo

Sent a request under.... rhnsrjns

Because apparently that's the name I tied to my email address months ago last time I opened this.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I also applied to GOONS, username is Mowser. Looks pretty full so no worries if there’s no room at the moment.

I’ve been leveling stuff mostly with no real goal in mind, but just realized I can buy a house so now I’m working towards all those upgrades.

Crell
Nov 4, 2008

Hot Leggy Blonde, you
got it goin' on.
Got you guys. Things are pretty quiet. The dev rolled back his pet system changes a bit ago to rework it. I'm mostly just staying barely active for when the server resets for full release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Crell posted:

Got you guys. Things are pretty quiet. The dev rolled back his pet system changes a bit ago to rework it. I'm mostly just staying barely active for when the server resets for full release.

Yeah, I'm wondering how long it'll be until the reset comes. Because both the pets and the thieving skills were rolled back. It's kind of begging for something else to get added, or at least some small boost to drop rates for dungeon maps to make them more interesting to use.