Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

DNK posted:

CR-V got refreshed for 2022 and looks pretty ownage. I’d definitely throw that into consideration.

My mom got the CR-V, couple years back, pretty perfect appliance mobile. The materials and drivetrain feel nice and refined. I have basically zero complaints, infotainment seems economy class bad but I'd boot it straight to CarPlay. I think it's the best or among the best in the segment but because I didn't buy it I can't judge the value too well vs its rivals. If I didn't care about driving engagement or something a little off the literally most beaten path, I would probably buy a CR-V.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

The new CR-V is a big leap forward from the previous generation. When I was last shopping the segment in 2021 the previous generation was reaching the end of its lifecycle and other than "being a Honda" it was an also-ran amongst the competition. But now I think it's a pretty strong contender.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I drove a newer Honda Hybrid Accord and had a ride in the Sport Hybrid CR-V. It's astonishing to me how insanely smooth and quiet newer entry model cars are these days along with all the electronic safety stuff but the kicker is so much it now works well with little latency and incredibly intuitive. Everything just works.

I kind of wonder... what's the point of Acura now but either way really good vehicles at an affordable-ish price.

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I drove a newer Honda Hybrid Accord and had a ride in the Sport Hybrid CR-V. It's astonishing to me how insanely smooth and quiet newer entry model cars are these days along with all the electronic safety stuff but the kicker is so much it now works well with little latency and incredibly intuitive. Everything just works.

I kind of wonder... what's the point of Acura now but either way really good vehicles at an affordable-ish price.

I opted for a new gen hybrid CR-V last winter and it's fantastic. I have a few quibbles with it (cold weather mpg, fix a flat instead of spare, no 360° camera) but it feels extremely high quality, looks decent for a commodity car, and I like how simple the car is when you dive into it (ie no belt driven accessories, no alternator, the drive train has a couple clutches, two electric motors and a proven ICE) there's very little to go wrong with it. It's extremely quiet, comfortable to drive, has most of the tech integration I've been looking for and hasn't given me any issues in the last eight months.

The point of Acura is that's where they put the ventilated seats and moon roofs :/

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

How does the Miata do as a highway commuter. Here in norcal it rains about 12 times a year during the daytime.

Was looking at the "Fiata" fiat 124 to do 2 x a week 60 miles round trip

Wife previously had a ~2016 Z4 and we really enjoyed the hell out of road tripping that out to Yosemite and back (~4 hrs each way) but I've never driven in a miata, even once

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I drove a newer model around Houston and Austin a few weeks a while ago. I thought it was fun but I would be a little hesitant in some cities just because it's it can be a bit nerve wracking because your in such a small car, low to the ground with bigger vehicles right next you. The part of Texas I was in had wide well maintained roads so it wasn't a big deal.

If you are used to small cars, it's probably fine. I thought the ride quality was pretty good but it might not be as smooth as a BMW.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Hadlock posted:

How does the Miata do as a highway commuter. Here in norcal it rains about 12 times a year during the daytime.

Was looking at the "Fiata" fiat 124 to do 2 x a week 60 miles round trip

Wife previously had a ~2016 Z4 and we really enjoyed the hell out of road tripping that out to Yosemite and back (~4 hrs each way) but I've never driven in a miata, even once

You gotta drive a Miata.

I've had a long commute in a Miata, and the only downside is that they're loud inside, to the point that if you're doing a long, fast drive on a high traffic freeway you may want to consider some comfortable earplugs. If you don't have horrifying traffic noise this won't be a problem.

I don't know much about current generation (ND) reliability but every previous Miata that's been built has had pretty low running costs, good but not great fuel economy, especially if you can slow down a bit, and the stock suspension is pretty comfortable.

Why Fiat 124? The updated engine in the 2019+ Miata is the platonic ideal of a good N/A 4-cylinder. It's perfect. https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a22678665/2019-mazda-mx-5-miata-engine-more-power/

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I would happily do my commute (40min/70km) in a 124. I rented one a few years ago in Italy and thought it was great.

It's not going to be the ideal commuter for big city traffic on a huge highway but if you're happy with a small sports car it's a pretty comfortable one. Idk if they make a hard top for the 124 but that might make a difference for winter commuting.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I drove a miata only 2014-2021 and I feel that factored a lot into my decision to swing wildly and trade it in for a pickup. so much space now...

It's a really comfortable car to drive... I miss that... (providing you keep the suspension in order, some may disagree but i think it needs more attention/$$$ over time being set up a little stiffer than most cars)

I'd love to own a new one without any old car problems. but yeah only with a second car at this point.

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I drove a newer model around Houston and Austin a few weeks a while ago. I thought it was fun but I would be a little hesitant in some cities just because it's it can be a bit nerve wracking because your in such a small car, low to the ground with bigger vehicles right next you. The part of Texas I was in had wide well maintained roads so it wasn't a big deal.

If you are used to small cars, it's probably fine. I thought the ride quality was pretty good but it might not be as smooth as a BMW.
my miata got backed into twice. Once while parallel parked and another time in a grocery parking lot. another time a ford pickup randomly started reversing on a city block to find parking or something and almost ran into me but I dodged him. people just dont see the drat things. also there's a presiding sense of lack of crash protection when you're in one.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 22, 2023

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

UU TEE EFF posted:

If there really is a ~$13,000 gap in depreciation from the Model 3 to Prius then it is not the choice for me, but if it is closer to and $8,000 difference, the Model 3 is a lot more appealing to me because it is electric.

Can you guarantee you'll get that tax credit? I recall it being up in the air on certain models.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I used to have an NB Mazdaspeed miata as my only car and did plenty of road trips, though generally they were under 10 hours. Main thing was just road noise from being a convertible gets fatiguing, especially in the windy midwest states with 75mph+ speed limits I'd be driving through, so I always kept earplugs on hand.

Really loved the car and would still have one if I had a garage to put it in instead of street parking.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

How much truth is there when it comes to buying cars out of state or in a specific state? Granted, I lose time and money traveling but I've been potentially looking at new or barely used Honda Civic, Toyota Crown or Acura Integra... and unless my leg is being pulled I am seeing some good deals.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

You gotta make sure that either:
A. The dealer will work with your states DPS to get you the correct taxes, plates and paperwork through your state as well as work with your bank if your doing that or
B. Buy the car with cash on a temp tag and pay the state taxes on your own with the title in hand to get it registered in your state, and then get a loan if necessary.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

"Which state" and "which car" can both matter a lot because California (and possibly other CARB-compliant states) can get really picky on emissions configurations, and there are still at least some new cars being sold in non-CARB markets with "49 state" emissions.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
Proposed Budget: under $150k (totally fine spending $40k—not trying to drop over $100k unless there’s something special).

New or Used: new or under 25k miles.

Body Style: coupe/sedan/wagon

How will you be using the car?: My work commute is barely two miles in the city. I try to bike it most days. BUT I have a house in the mountains relatively nearby. The drive there is ~120 miles and a good bit of it is through twisty mountain roads. It’s a super fun drive.

What aspects are most important to you? Something that’s really fun to drive on curvy mountain roads.
Must be able to fit two sets of golf clubs in the trunk. I also hate cars that move everything onto a touch screen.

I’d rather get something that’s not too flashy. Kinda leaning towards an M3 or M8. The rs7 is also intriguing, but my Audi had some electrical gremlins, so I’m a bit skittish about getting one. I had a Lexus GS430 and absolutely loved that car. I put close to 160,000 miles on it and would have kept it forever, but it was totaled when a semi rear-ended me. I have a G37s and it’s fine. Not amazing but by no means bad.

I’m in no rush to get a new car. If something amazing is coming out in another year or two, I’m perfectly fine with waiting.

Edit: don’t have kids, won’t have kids, either, and my back seat gets very little use right now, so that’s not an issue.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I'd probably get a M4 or maybe M3 Touring for that. Friends have RS4 and RS6 which they love.

I don't like golf, but I do ski and have an otherwise similar use case, I have a Taycan 4S which is fantastic if you want an electric car. You'd need to be able to charge it in the mountains, though.

Comedy option, apparently you can get golf clubs in the back of a Cayman under the engine cover / hatch so a GTS 4.0.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I have an M4. It's great. Get that.

knox_harrington posted:

Comedy option, apparently you can get golf clubs in the back of a Cayman under the engine cover / hatch so a GTS 4.0.

I went to my local Porsche dealership a few years ago, back when they were still making the GT4 and they practically laughed at the suggestion that I could get my hands on a GTS 4.0.

The Lotus dealership said to check with them in January about an Emira so I'll probably go that way for my dumb mid engine manual coupe.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Does AI BFC have any particular thoughts on the newer Honda Civic, Acura Integra or Toyota Crown?

I've been doing quite a bit of research over the last few months, these all seems like good cars that I could own long term, reliable with good fuel economy. The only negatives I'm able to think of is taller passengers in the back seats. The crown has some odd design choices with the the trunk release and split screen infotainment but nothing I've found that would be particularly annoying.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

KillHour posted:

I have an M4. It's great. Get that.

I went to my local Porsche dealership a few years ago, back when they were still making the GT4 and they practically laughed at the suggestion that I could get my hands on a GTS 4.0.

The Lotus dealership said to check with them in January about an Emira so I'll probably go that way for my dumb mid engine manual coupe.

The Emira looks so good. If I was staying at my current place I could definitely see myself getting one, but I'm looking at an apartment right in the city with only one space :( Might even need to get rid of a bike!

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Omerta posted:

Proposed Budget: under $150k (totally fine spending $40k—not trying to drop over $100k unless there’s something special).

How will you be using the car?: My work commute is barely two miles in the city. I try to bike it most days. BUT I have a house in the mountains relatively nearby. The drive there is ~120 miles and a good bit of it is through twisty mountain roads. It’s a super fun drive.

What aspects are most important to you? Something that’s really fun to drive on curvy mountain roads.
Must be able to fit two sets of golf clubs in the trunk. I also hate cars that move everything onto a touch screen.

I’d rather get something that’s not too flashy. Kinda leaning towards an M3 or M8. The rs7 is also intriguing, but my Audi had some electrical gremlins, so I’m a bit skittish about getting one. I had a Lexus GS430 and absolutely loved that car. I put close to 160,000 miles on it and would have kept it forever, but it was totaled when a semi rear-ended me. I have a G37s and it’s fine. Not amazing but by no means bad.

I’m in no rush to get a new car. If something amazing is coming out in another year or two, I’m perfectly fine with waiting.

Edit: don’t have kids, won’t have kids, either, and my back seat gets very little use right now, so that’s not an issue.

RS6 Avant

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Does AI BFC have any particular thoughts on the newer Honda Civic, Acura Integra or Toyota Crown?

I've been doing quite a bit of research over the last few months, these all seems like good cars that I could own long term, reliable with good fuel economy. The only negatives I'm able to think of is taller passengers in the back seats. The crown has some odd design choices with the the trunk release and split screen infotainment but nothing I've found that would be particularly annoying.

If back seat room is an issue, you probably shouldn't be shopping compacts.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Seems weird to shop two compacts against a close to full size sedan.

Are you regularly carrying tall passengers in the rear seats? If yes, and you are concerned with their comfort, the Crown or Accord are probably the way to go. (Why did you not include the Accord in here?) If no, then you have to decide if you want a bigger car or a smaller car.

Omerta posted:

Some people have already given some good (M4) advice and bad (RS6 Avant, why would you tell a guy to buy a RS6 Avant when they don't need space). Here are a couple things you should also consider:

1) I don't care for 911s but you should get a 911. You should think long and hard about why you shouldn't get a 911 and if you don't come up with a good answer you should get a 911.
2) If you don't want a 911 and you liked your Lexus GS you could get a RC-F. Bonus: it has a poo poo ton of buttons.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Omerta posted:

A C8 Corvette was designed to fit 2 golf bags in the trunk. If you have to have a manual or more space, the Cadillac Blackwing cars are a great option.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Godzilla07 posted:

A C8 Corvette was designed to fit 2 golf bags in the trunk. If you have to have a manual or more space, the Cadillac Blackwing cars are a great option.

The C8 is great but I don't think it could ever be described as not flashy. Blackwing cars are a good call.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Can you get 2 sets of clubs in a 911? Maybe a Carrera T with no back seats.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

knox_harrington posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g_Pu-8Rv2o

you can definitely get one in there and you can probably cram a second in there if you're not a coward

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

knox_harrington posted:

Goon asks if a car specifically designed to be seen at the country club is able to carry golf bags.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

2) If you don't want a 911 and you liked your Lexus GS you could get a RC-F. Bonus: it has a poo poo ton of buttons.

Going to agree with KYOON here and say an RCF or Blackwing (CT4 or 5, more so the 5) are very good options. Maybe an NSX if you can find one?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

Goon asks if a car specifically designed to be seen at the country club is able to carry golf bags.

Two is definitely a stretch

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I know for a fact a c8 can only fit one set of clubs. the marketing is using child size bags

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

This is wild speculation, but I feel like the crown might not sell well and parts will be really hard to find not long down the road

Big jump from the civic to the crown? did you mean accord? Two completely different car segments. The crown is like a lifted Avalon, the civic is... well it's a civic

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Now I am curious if new Supra can fit 2 sets of golf clubs. It’s basically a hardtop Z4 so I think it should.

Edit: it fits one, which I guess kinda makes sense

Calidus fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 29, 2023

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

1) I don't care for 911s but you should get a 911. You should think long and hard about why you shouldn't get a 911 and if you don't come up with a good answer you should get a 911.

I'm not OP, but I'm a 911 hater for probably irrational reasons. I firmly believe that rear engine sports cars are stupid and there's a reason nobody else makes them. That said, I will be driving this beauty in November so if I come back and won't shut up about how I saw the face of God and he told me to buy a 911, you'll know why.

https://fun2drive-japan.com/fleet/porsche_911_964/

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KillHour posted:

I'm not OP, but I'm a 911 hater for probably irrational reasons. I firmly believe that rear engine sports cars are stupid and there's a reason nobody else makes them. That said, I will be driving this beauty in November so if I come back and won't shut up about how I saw the face of God and he told me to buy a 911, you'll know why.

https://fun2drive-japan.com/fleet/porsche_911_964/

That's a very different car than a modern 911.

And yeah, engine placement is stupid, but it's like that for historical reasons at this point, as well as being a very specific thing to drive in a very specific way. That being said, it's hilarious that they've had to nerf their mid line car power figures (944 turbo, Cayman) to be able to keep the 911 as the fastest one. Multiple big time Porsche performance outfits have done the "buy the latest 911 and Cayman, track them, swap the motors, track them again" thing and it never ceases to be funny. A few hundred bucks worth of parts always made a 86+ 955 (944 turbo) was faster than the same gen 911.

But a 911 is and always has been a very specific thing and the people who really know how to use all that weight swinging around back there just explode out of corners in a seemingly impossible way.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Seems weird to shop two compacts against a close to full size sedan.

Are you regularly carrying tall passengers in the rear seats? If yes, and you are concerned with their comfort, the Crown or Accord are probably the way to go. (Why did you not include the Accord in here?) If no, then you have to decide if you want a bigger car or a smaller car.

Some people have already given some good (M4) advice and bad (RS6 Avant, why would you tell a guy to buy a RS6 Avant when they don't need space). Here are a couple things you should also consider:

Thanks to all for the input. This is beyond a first world problem, but I’m a member at two golf clubs and there are three courses between them all in different locations, so I keep my wife’s clubs and my clubs in the car at all times. They’re both small carry bags, but I don’t want to have to engage in Tetris-like rearranging just to get them to fit. Fortunately, it’s an easy question to answer. I can just bring them and see.

The other nice part about a Porsche is I’m in ATL, so I can go to their track and whatnot.

Twerk from Home posted:

Only problem is most people keep their clubs at the country club.

Godzilla07 posted:

Blackwing is also a great suggestion. Thanks!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Motronic posted:

That's a very different car than a modern 911.

Well yeah but everyone claims you need to drive one to "understand" the 911 or whatever so it's a bucket list thing. A modern 911 is probably completely indistinguishable from a 718 on a public road anyways.

Motronic posted:

That being said, it's hilarious that they've had to nerf their mid line car power figures (944 turbo, Cayman) to be able to keep the 911 as the fastest one.

Isn't a GT4RS for realsies faster than a GT3 from the factory now that they gave it a proper engine?

Omerta posted:

Thanks to all for the input. This is beyond a first world problem, but I’m a member at two golf clubs and there are three courses between them all in different locations, so I keep my wife’s clubs and my clubs in the car at all times. They’re both small carry bags, but I don’t want to have to engage in Tetris-like rearranging just to get them to fit. Fortunately, it’s an easy question to answer. I can just bring them and see.

You are rich enough to either have multiple sets of golf clubs or put a rack on your car.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 29, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KillHour posted:

A modern 911 is probably completely indistinguishable from a 718 on a public road anyways.

Very much so given similar relative power to weight/trims. You really need to be pushing them to feel the difference. The 718 is absolutely confidence inspiring from the outset while the 911 is intimidating without all the drat nannies turned on.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Motronic posted:

Very much so given similar relative power to weight/trims. You really need to be pushing them to feel the difference. The 718 is absolutely confidence inspiring from the outset while the 911 is intimidating without all the drat nannies turned on.

NGL, I have driven cars with far, far more power than this 911 but I'm still absolutely terrified I'm going to bin it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KillHour posted:

NGL, I have driven cars with far, far more power than this 911 but I'm still absolutely terrified I'm going to bin it.

Same, and I would feel the same about that one as well.

I've driven multiple generations of 911 in anger, and some of my very first "oh poo poo" moments always go about the same way: the back end is rotating oh poo poo why is the back end STILL rotating OH poo poo are we gonna swap ends?

The 911 is the poster child of "never lift" and was seeming imbued with a wanton lust to kill cowards that do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Motronic posted:

Same, and I would feel the same about that one as well.

I've driven multiple generations of 911 in anger, and some of my very first "oh poo poo" moments always go about the same way: the back end is rotating oh poo poo why is the back end STILL rotating OH poo poo are we gonna swap ends?

The 911 is the poster child of "never lift" and was seeming imbued with a wanton lust to kill cowards that do.

*has flashbacks to the Porsche Cup in iRacing*