Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
From the Danish Valhalla comics. Hard-boiled Odin is investigating the mystery of Suttung's mead.

Valhalla #11(1998) (Unofficial translation. Transl. date unknown)

Valhalla has never been officially translated into English, but I am posting the entire run in the favorite comics thread.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I really liked how that story was told like if it was a film noir story.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
MarriageToxin #54:
Super assassin Gero has been given twelve months to find a wife, Or Else. He's partnered up with a crossdressing marriage swindler to find true love, and they've got him taking odd jobs to find suitable marriage candidates. This time, he's helping a bodyguard lady get a mob princess to safety.

Squidster fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Aug 30, 2023

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

SimonChris posted:

From the Danish Valhalla comics. Hard-boiled Odin is investigating the mystery of Suttung's mead.

This is cool. And of course Odin finds the buxom lass.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Source: Immortal Thor #1
Al Ewing knows a thing or two about epic comic book storytelling and the art excellent for its purpose.
It's especially fun because it alludes to the mythological character Utgard-Loki (no actual relation to the god Loki). So, what if there was an Utgard-Thor as well?
I just like this. It's neat. Melodramatic cape comics, yes, but Thor kinda needs that kinda tone.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

If I could properly extract images from PDFs, I'd post the scene from Once & Future #21 where Sir Eliold devises a new way to fight the Gorgon.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Screen... shots?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh that reminds me I gotta get caught up on Once & Future. I think I only read up to volume 2 or 3 last time I caught wind of it (from this thread!)

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Parahexavoctal posted:

If I could properly extract images from PDFs, I'd post the scene from Once & Future #21 where Sir Eliold devises a new way to fight the Gorgon.

This?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Flesh Forge posted:

remember when hank uses his ant control powers to have his ants ~do nonspecific but extremely suggestive bad things~ to janet during a domestic spat because he was mad she zapped him

https://i.imgur.com/KW19kg6.png
I like how there was a bad domestic violence storyline in 1981 and then somebody decided it would be very mature to make it Pym's defining trait. Very pleasant to read about.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Halloween Jack posted:

I like how there was a bad domestic violence storyline in 1981 and then somebody decided it would be very mature to make it Pym's defining trait. Very pleasant to read about.

That's what happens when you let Mark Millar loose on something.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Fil5000 posted:

That's what happens when you let Mark Millar loose on something.

The problem with Pym and everyone obsessing over that lovely story happened well before Millar's Ultimates.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

I guess he read that Wonder Woman story and thought "I can one-up that."

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Once and Future is probably my favorite creator-owned Giellen book and French Lancelot is a hell of a superhero design

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Air Skwirl posted:

The problem with Pym and everyone obsessing over that lovely story happened well before Millar's Ultimates.

Did they? Everybody seem to have a gentleman's agreement to ignore it until Millar brought it back and decided to one up where you could probably blame Pym particles rattling around Hank's head as Yellowjacket (but you shouldn't, because it's still a terrible story nobody owns up to) where in Ultimates Hank's been doing this since he and Jan were in college.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Dawgstar posted:

Did they? Everybody seem to have a gentleman's agreement to ignore it until Millar brought it back and decided to one up where you could probably blame Pym particles rattling around Hank's head as Yellowjacket (but you shouldn't, because it's still a terrible story nobody owns up to) where in Ultimates Hank's been doing this since he and Jan were in college.

Millar is the only one who retold the domestic abuse line, but I'm pretty sure there was a run of writers who each said "This will be the story that addresses Pym's abusive past!"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The only one of those I kind of like is Jeremy Whitley's attempt to deal with it in his run of The Wasp, because it wasn't about redeeming Hank, it was specifically about the impact it had on Jan and how she feels about it.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I think the damage is done. There might have been a chance to unfuck it, have Pym atone, acknowledge what he did as bad, whatever to try and move past it but that chance has long passed the character by. He is now and will always be Hank Pym: Wifebeater. It's too ingrained into the public knowledge of the character.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah that's why he's been dead for ten years

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Another panel from the Valhalla comics, The Serpent in the Abyss. Tor's struggle against Jormungandr is the most iconic part of his legends and Peter Madsen did a great job retelling it:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Ok but why not just close your eyes?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Nowhere near as metal.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Otherworldy Munchkin

Dude gets isekai'd into a world that's run on D&D rules, and basically steals the Dungeon Master's Journal/Notes as he's being sent over.
Stuck with only a single hit point, which doesn't increase as he levels. He's had to resort to munchkin/power-gaming tactics to make sure he doesn't get murdered while searching for his sister.

D&D rules mean D&D solutions, especially when component costs are an actual thing you need to consider
So how do you scout a base you can't gain access to, and find the routes free of traps?

(Right to Left)

Otherworldly Munchkin: Let's Speedrun the Dungeon with Only 1 HP! - Chapter 23

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dies when he stubs his toe.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

A particularly large snowflake lands on his hat.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Fatal paper cut from the dungeon map.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
The real end boss will be a housecat

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Isn’t there a Feat that says if you are at max HP and take damage that would kill you, instead you survive with 1 HP? Seems like that would make him immortal.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm guessing that they're going with some kind of vaguely-defined old school D&D ruleset that doesn't give him those options.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

EoRaptor posted:

Isn’t there a Feat that says if you are at max HP and take damage that would kill you, instead you survive with 1 HP? Seems like that would make him immortal.

Toughness (+3 health) comes up as a possible feat they could take. The argument is that it might not function correctly due to the curse that's keeping him at 1hp.

He does (downside to having 1 hp spoiler) get taken out, in an extremely anime tropeish manner, and has to make a death saving throw at one point

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm guessing that they're going with some kind of vaguely-defined old school D&D ruleset that doesn't give him those options.

Yeah it's either the 2nd or 3rd Edition ruleset that's being used.

It's quite fun seeing the 'DMs Notes' being used as an actual mechanic, and the bastard strats he utilises.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

EoRaptor posted:

Those don't work if your max HP is 1, which I assume his is, since that's how these usually work.

E;fb

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
D&D Fifth Edition the closest thing I can think of is the half-orc's "Relentless Endurance" racial trait, which I'll just quote:

D&D Beyond posted:

When you are reduced to 0 hit points but not killed outright, you can drop to 1 hit point instead. You can’t use this feature again until you finish a long rest.

I don't recall any similar first-party feats in D&D3.5, but I've lost my encyclopedic splatbook knowledge by virtue of not playing 3.5e in over a decade.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Wizard of the Deep posted:

D&D Fifth Edition the closest thing I can think of is the half-orc's "Relentless Endurance" racial trait, which I'll just quote:

I don't recall any similar first-party feats in D&D3.5, but I've lost my encyclopedic splatbook knowledge by virtue of not playing 3.5e in over a decade.

This was going to be my guess against the tactic. Can't just use the feat endlessly, have to recharge it somehow.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Barbarians get a similar thing but they have to make a roll of increasing DC each time they do it between rests.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
5E's Death Ward spell does the same thing for 8 hours at a time, but requires access to 4th level spells. There's definitely some DM wiggle room there anyway if he's using Locate Object (concentration, specifies "an object") on a sack full of individual items. 3.5's variants of both spells are significantly more limited than the 5E versions.

redstormpopcorn fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Sep 26, 2023

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

redstormpopcorn posted:

5E's Death Ward spell does the same thing for 8 hours at a time, but requires access to 4th level spells. There's definitely some DM wiggle room there anyway if he's using Locate Object (concentration, specifies "an object") on a sack full of individual items. 3.5's variants of both spells are significantly more limited than the 5E versions.

As an occasional DM, I'd allow this use of Locate Object because it's rad AF

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Daniel Warren Johnson is just the best. This is from his new Transformers book.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
"Smelting" is a great robot cuss.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Daniel Warren Johnson is just the best. This is from his new Transformers book.

Well I normally have zero interest in Transformers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

THOOM and BOOM are always great but G1 Transformers combat sounded to me like a swordfight with girders or someone bowling if every sound had been run through a metallic synthesizer filter. You can't make every onomatopoeia CLANK obviously but there must be more.