Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rollos
Aug 11, 2007

Hold on, won't be long
I was more imagining a 100 Jared Harris vs Lee Pace a la Agent Smith style

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Rollos posted:

100 Cleons strutting around naked and confident vs 100 Hari Seldon's all yelling at Gaal that she isn't doing things properly

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

CubanMissile posted:

I was really enjoying this season until they landed on psychic cult planet. Loved Cleon’s reaction to the atomic ashtray though.

Preposterous! Ye, that was fun

Rollos posted:

But his only attack is “debate me, bro”

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
the world of foundation is so barbaric and brutal. magical technology is so mundane that the vast majority of the planets' populations do barbaric poo poo, farm things the old fashioned way and stand in lines front of a guy on a throne as he kills people for minor infractions. they could have robots farming things in rice paddies or lab grow all the food they need, but instead they force their enemies to farm it for them as punishment.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Not that I know much of Asimov's writing very well, let alone the Foundation series, but I assumed this being a post-AI future means people don't let robots do work because it'd just lead to the robots gaining sentience and sabotaging everything to kill all the humans.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

DaveKap posted:

Not that I know much of Asimov's writing very well, let alone the Foundation series, but I assumed this being a post-AI future means people don't let robots do work because it'd just lead to the robots gaining sentience and sabotaging everything to kill all the humans.

Asimov took a sort of opposite approach in that robots were designed ground-up to be incapable of harming humans (outside of weird but narratively important edge cases.) Much of this was because his early robot stories were mostly short mystery logic puzzles based on the Three Laws of Robotics as a central premise, so "what if a robot just turned on humans" wasn't a valid answer. However, in the wider setting the human societies that made heavy use of robot labor and life extension/genetic engineering technologies ended up rapidly stagnating and turning inward with robots doing the work and making the deicisions, so the galaxy was settled by the society that rejected all that. Who eventually stagnated too but only thousands of years after they filled the entire galaxy. So it was more that robots killed human civilizations with kindness rather than killing humans with lasers.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Killer robot posted:

Asimov took a sort of opposite approach in that robots were designed ground-up to be incapable of harming humans (outside of weird but narratively important edge cases.) Much of this was because his early robot stories were mostly short mystery logic puzzles based on the Three Laws of Robotics as a central premise, so "what if a robot just turned on humans" wasn't a valid answer. However, in the wider setting the human societies that made heavy use of robot labor and life extension/genetic engineering technologies ended up rapidly stagnating and turning inward with robots doing the work and making the deicisions, so the galaxy was settled by the society that rejected all that. Who eventually stagnated too but only thousands of years after they filled the entire galaxy. So it was more that robots killed human civilizations with kindness rather than killing humans with lasers.

I don't believe you, Killer robot.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Open Source Idiom posted:

I don't believe you, Killer robot.

Fair, ain't no law against a robot lying.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Everyone you love is dead. Eat the ice cream.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
We're so stupid we can either make robotic super nannies or farm potatoes with my hands like a caveman circa 12,346BCE.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Have you seen the recent discourse around ai

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Killer robot posted:

Robots were absolutely banned on Earth in Asimov's novels. R. Daneel had to get special permission, stay with Elijah Bailey at all times and was only allowed because he looked passably human. I can't recall the exact reasons it started that way (probably "they're taking our jobs"), but in the end they were permanently linked with the Spacer oppression of Earth because they were extensively used on their planets.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
in the future we have spaceships and poo poo, but designing a robotic arm that does a repetitive task without also having hopes and dreams is too hard.

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Stereoscopic Suffocation!
The Foundation (TV) universe is obviously not as strict about automation and computers as Dune. I think only those specific robots meant to look and act like humans might be banned. More of a Blade Runner situation than AI jihad. For example, those giant killer mining machines a few episodes back were autonomous/AI controlled, but according to the show’s timeline are from after the robot wars.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

Robots were absolutely banned on Earth in Asimov's novels. R. Daneel had to get special permission, stay with Elijah Bailey at all times and was only allowed because he looked passably human. I can't recall the exact reasons it started that way (probably "they're taking our jobs"), but in the end they were permanently linked with the Spacer oppression of Earth because they were extensively used on their planets.

This isn't exactly true. In Caves of Steel, the first Elijah Baley mystery novel, robots are heavily regulated on Earth, but still used. Book spoilers that will not be relevant to this show with 99.9% certainty As soon as Daneel and Elijah get out of Spacetown, Daneel diffuses a riot outside a shoe store (how quaint) that is instigated by the shoe shop having got robot workers. The riot is caused by TOOK ARE JERBS, to be fair. And the police station where Elijah works recently got a robot secretary, and it's a plot point that this robot replaced a young man working at the station previously, which in turn causes Elijah to be initially worried about Daneel-like robots replacing himself eventually. The full-on robot ban happens later, on the "Settler" worlds, the second wave of colonization from Earth. The reasons for this are a-plenty, but basically in the Naked Sun Elijah himself notes that the most advanced Spacer world is headed towards ruin because of their robot society, and this narrative gets expanded in the later books.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Is Asimov's novel The Gods Themselves in the Foundation universe? That's the only novel of his I remember reading and I absolutely loved it.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

External Organs posted:

Is Asimov's novel The Gods Themselves in the Foundation universe? That's the only novel of his I remember reading and I absolutely loved it.

No. According to some interviews, it was Asimov's own favourite!

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Pretty darn tootin little read in case anyone wants some kind of weird sci Fi

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I just want to point out how ridiculous an idea that is, some humans impose some law (a fatwa), and it can get the whole humanity to follow it for millennias.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Dune was actually parodying/rebutting psychohistory with its perfect foresight & genetic memory stuff

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
It's because positronic brains are so hard to design, only asimovian super genius can invent it. After the pogroms eons ago no one can make them again. And why would they? Everyone has been taught from birth robots are dangerous.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Rectal Death Adept posted:

We are thinking about this harder than the writers but I thought that Day seemed to realize he was destined to be forgotten as he was almost swapped out for a replacement unceremoniously and no one would have ever known. A disposable clone in a series of disposable clones. Using the marriage to become a new Cleon The First Of Something seemed like a valid motivation over just backstabbing an outspoken rival for territory.

This would make the current Day important and memorable for ages as the last Cleon or first king of the new dynasty. The original Cleon started the genetic dynasty for the same reasons and it's only maintained by complete selfless dedication to continuance but the current Day explained he felt fear for himself at the first ever assassination attempt. It would make sense that he doesn't want to get flushed down a space toilet with the status quo as is tradition.
Also, he outright said in the last episode that he's doing it to avoid Seldon's prophecy that the clone emperors would lead to the downfall of the empire (or whatever the actual wording was). No more clone emperors, prophecy undone, empire survives. Easy! That was my favourite bit of the episode.

Owling Howl posted:

Yeah I don't think this is a show that kills off main characters. Salvor will be saved at the last moment and Seldon is a robot. Alternatively their deaths are the catalyst that makes Gaal achieve her final form, she purges the cult and declares herself queen of the ashes.
My guess: The whole visit to the psychic planet is a prophetic vision of the future and never happened, so now they'll be able to avoid it, thus proving that they can change the future and whichever one of them was going to die in the future actually won't. :haw:

(I can't remember which one is Gaal and which Salvor because I basically stop paying attention whenever the show is following them because their subplot is terrible and I'm just waiting to for the show to get back to literally anyone else)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Gaal is the one who can swim.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Yes it’s very hard to tell apart the two completely different looking black characters with completely different personalities and motives

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

All that plus they have a huge height difference

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Yes it’s very hard to tell apart the two completely different looking black characters with completely different personalities and motives

^

My thoughts on Gaal and Salvor is that up until the last couple episodes I liked Gaal more and Salvor was kind of annoying and that completely flipped when they got to the planet of weirdos

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Despite being mother and daughter Salvor and Gaal are as alike as Jenny and Lieutenant Dan

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Salvor is a frontier sheriff who had never been off Terminus before going on her adventure! Gaal is a psychic mathematician from a water planet ruled by an anti-technology cult!

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

They are both different but quite dull to watch.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
This all sounds so dumb

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I love Salvor and her plot, keeping fingers crossed that Hugo was a big enough simp to cryosleep too

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Finally this show is getting interesting.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
That was a solid episode. Beki totally could have done the deed though.

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

I was so happy when Rue says "the time for ambiguity has passed" followed by 10 minutes of straight talking and exposition. I think she's becoming my favourite character this season, because she doesn't suffer from that TV character syndrome where they never ask or say the one extremely obvious thing that would immediately resolve all their problems. Her delivery of "you've LITERALLY just said that (wtf)" was delightful.

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Okay, here's my speculation for who/what The Mule is: At some point this season Tellem, partially defeated by Gaal/Salvor, will try to transfer her consciousness to the boy Josiah. However Josiah's personality will be the one that survives, while keeping all of Tellem's powers (possibly through intervention by Gaal or Salvor). Traumatized by all this, and wanting to prevent anyone like Tellem from ever existing again, he goes on a quest to wipe out all mentalics in the entire galaxy, which involves conquering it, and becoming "The Mule."

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Snowmanatee posted:

Okay, here's my speculation for who/what The Mule is: At some point this season Tellem, partially defeated by Gaal/Salvor, will try to transfer her consciousness to the boy Josiah. However Josiah's personality will be the one that survives, while keeping all of Tellem's powers (possibly through intervention by Gaal or Salvor). Traumatized by all this, and wanting to prevent anyone like Tellem from ever existing again, he goes on a quest to wipe out all mentalics in the entire galaxy, which involves conquering it, and becoming "The Mule."

Ya and it would be a typical example of (modern) SciFi writing in TV. It makes your setting look small because everything has to connect back to a single point in your story for some cheap mystery/"twists", not to mention that it once again goes against the whole theme of Foundation. A book written about the large scale effects of society/history. But then you create a TV show that already feels rather "empty" (and not like an empire consisting of trillions and trillions and citizens including countless worlds) and where everything in the story leads back to a few hand selected people throughout history. The rest of the universe might not even exist so little do they seem to matter.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

LinkesAuge posted:

Ya and it would be a typical example of (modern) SciFi writing in TV. It makes your setting look small because everything has to connect back to a single point in your story for some cheap mystery/"twists", not to mention that it once again goes against the whole theme of Foundation. A book written about the large scale effects of society/history. But then you create a TV show that already feels rather "empty" (and not like an empire consisting of trillions and trillions and citizens including countless worlds) and where everything in the story leads back to a few hand selected people throughout history. The rest of the universe might not even exist so little do they seem to matter.

Ah, the Star Trek method where the whole universe revolves around the 30 people crossing each others’ paths non stop.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
And every planet in Stargate looks like Vancouver

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

The gravel pit outside of Vancouver, to be exact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

They're clones and their name is Cleon which is just the word clone very slightly rearranged

There were at least two emperors named Cleon in the books.

They weren't clones, though.