Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

the examples of forums monetization, whales, mangosteen etc.. are hilarious when presented as some comparison to the cancer that is modern social media. I use social media too, facebook and twitter were a pool that trump directly diherreahed in and everybody kept on swimming. the depravity is more than I can bear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Yeah the ‘you criticise social media but the forums are the same thing’ is bullshit and everyone knows it. Just because they both involve posting does not make them the same thing. There’s no algorithm here, you’re not pushed misinformation or hate, you aren’t advertised at constantly and the experience isn’t literally designed to be as addictive as possible.

I stopped using any SM but Insta for my business (and then only to post stuff like every two weeks) and my life has improved immeasurably, I’d recommend it.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Jakabite posted:

the experience isn’t literally designed to be as addictive as possible.

You are absolutely correct in your assessment. I do want to point out this doesn't stop a lot of people over the years from "Just posting through it" with their mental health and needing to defeat posting enemies in ways that are absolutely insane. See: recently the person who bought themselves transphobic AV's to defeat their posting enemies.

Not to say this is really much of SA's problem to monitor like a social media site. Handling your issues is your responsibility and all.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Jakabite posted:

Yeah the ‘you criticise social media but the forums are the same thing’ is bullshit and everyone knows it. Just because they both involve posting does not make them the same thing. There’s no algorithm here, you’re not pushed misinformation or hate, you aren’t advertised at constantly and the experience isn’t literally designed to be as addictive as possible.

I stopped using any SM but Insta for my business (and then only to post stuff like every two weeks) and my life has improved immeasurably, I’d recommend it.

there's also some form of moderation here, much as people love to rip on the mods/admins. you don't get bombarded with supremacist bullshit all the time.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

MrQwerty posted:

the dude in my second gangtag literally registers like 3-6 accounts a day, most days

he's registered so many accounts he ran out of funny names and goes [month][day][year]_[x] now

absolutely demented. he should be using ISO 8601 format for dates.

Emils katt
Jan 1, 2008
I snagged a code a couple of weeks ago but didn't tell, was going to but then the kids came running and my brain decided to forget. Sorry about that mr poster whose name I also forgot.

Paying it back with a fresh code.

bsky-social-nmhwb-r3kav

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

Nelson Mandingo posted:

You are absolutely correct in your assessment. I do want to point out this doesn't stop a lot of people over the years from "Just posting through it" with their mental health and needing to defeat posting enemies in ways that are absolutely insane. See: recently the person who bought themselves transphobic AV's to defeat their posting enemies.

Not to say this is really much of SA's problem to monitor like a social media site. Handling your issues is your responsibility and all.

I think it’s possible that the big social media sites that make money from addicted users actually have an incentive to cause and exacerbate mental illness, rather than merely incidentally reveal it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Halisnacks posted:

I think it’s possible that the big social media sites that make money from addicted users actually have an incentive to cause and exacerbate mental illness, rather than merely incidentally reveal it.

So it's exactly the same as SA, then...

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Emils katt posted:

Paying it back with a fresh code.

Snagged this

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Halisnacks posted:

Buddy,

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
(I think my mental illness is just revealed by SA rather than caused by it.)

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

armpit_enjoyer posted:

I need to hear this story lmao

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3999483

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug

Parkingtigers posted:

https://twitter.com/blapeecom/status/1694980507048759521?s=61

There's something objectively funny about the lovely paid ads for massively overpriced junk getting Twitter Yelp Patrol notes linking to a much cheaper version of the same thing. Amazing website.

If there was a community note on this, its gone now. Or maybe the site is breaking in new and exciting ways.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Abongination posted:

If there was a community note on this, its gone now. Or maybe the site is breaking in new and exciting ways.
The note is still there, but it's either been forcibly removed or voted down sufficiently to make it disappear. I'm inclined to believe the former.

To be honest as funny as this is it seems kinda ridiculous that paid ads are allowed to have community notes that straight up say "this is available from China for 1/10th of the price". It seems massively counter productive given how desperate Musk is for revenue, and he could simply stop notes getting published on ads - like this one is now - without anyone being able to definitively prove that it's being suppressed.

I guess that involves some coding though.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Earwicker posted:

you do realize internet forums are just a very slightly older version of social media right? like if you think social media "is bad and always has been" why do you have an account here and socialize virtually with other goons

i dont think social media is "bad" in and of itself. it depends a lot on how you curate it, who you follow and engage with etc. the companies themselves of course often make this difficult with their lovely algorithms, but it is still possible and for many people its rewarding

Forums aren't real life tho, the meshing of the real and Internet worlds is what makes social media so terrible

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Earth had many conflicts before the Federation was created such as WW1,WW2, and the battles of boobalooba.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
just because the taxman wanted to make money off site engagement or whatever doesn't mean he was ever going to be capable of it to any meaningful extent. he might have started to read some psychology study on dark patterns before quitting halfway through the abstract to order more goldbelly. facebook has a fleet of junior and senior product managers who have all read the entire thing and they are in a position to implement the ideas effectively and have the resources at their behest to try

comparing SA or any "popular forum" (lol 2023) position to an actual social media company just makes you sound naive

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Bruceski posted:

Mastadon crashed already?

No, the ones who were active there before Musk bought twitter are still active there + some more who migrated. Mastadon was thriving before Musk and is still thriving for it's intended users. People just assumed it would replace twitter despite not having the feed algos

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

kazil posted:

Gotta write words words words for a single tweet with nearly no information.

here's the picture btw

very professionally painted on logo

"Hmm should we make sure that our lovely logo is on straight?"
"Nah, close enough."

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

thathonkey posted:

comparing SA or any "popular forum" (lol 2023) position to an actual social media company just makes you sound naive

For one thing, SA’s Glassdoor reviews are much better

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

"Nah, close enough."

whats the sub micron precision on that

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Don't be ridiculous, he never said sub micron. It's a tolerance of sub TEN microns, much more reasonable

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

"Nah, close enough."

Looks a lot like a community theatre back set piece. Done just well enough to look fine under lights, at a distance. On some kinda lovely ply that may have been another flat in the past.

Also, because I’m on New Zealand time, I keep missing the bsky codes and I’d still like one if some nice person wants to drop me a pm. I’d be super grateful and say nice things about and to you and send you a picture of my cat’s silly little pink nose

Shithouse Dave fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 29, 2023

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Sick burn sir! Well played!

ok

so emo

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Shithouse Dave posted:

Looks a lot like a community theatre back set piece. Done just well enough to look fine under lights, at a distance. On some kinda lovely ply that may have been another flat in the past.

Also, because I’m on New Zealand time, I keep missing the bsky codes and I’d still like one if some nice person wants to drop me a pm. I’d be super grateful and say nice things about and to you and send you a picture of my cat’s silly little pink nose

I got you

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Elon truly is miserable. He genuinely thinks he’s a genius and that we (the crowd of people who hate him and aren’t using Twitter anymore) are preventing him from saving humanity by achieving the galactic federation.

And we get to watch him keep tripping over his own shoelaces time and time again, just trying to improve a social media app that was already popular when he bought it.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

kazil posted:

ok

so emo

CRAWLING IN MY SKIN

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

kazil posted:

ok

so emo
Such low energy Trump-esque posting.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

This one somehow gets sadder with fuller context.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1696397893228265907

No matter if he's doing that weird thing where he tries to boost brands in order to make them feel better about his hellsite or just letting out a vapid thought, he's still absolutely poo poo at posting.

IBroughttheFunk fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Aug 29, 2023

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I love Ortega's taco sauce. It makes my taco pop.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Waiting for Musk to take a selfie with his favorite beans, Goya.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Thank you heaps much to poisonpill, who is probably actually a sweet candy in a shady lookin bottle, and a kind person. I’ll pay it forward with invites in a week, or whenever I get one.

On ketchup, heinz is the fuckin McDonald’s spec of sauces. There are many better tomato ketchup variations, but if you haven’t tried mushroom ketchup, get you some. I have to sleep now, but if the discussion hasn’t moved too far when I get up, I’ll dig out my recipe for anyone interested in making their own

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He is so low impact it's the funny end of pathetic. Any one of his tweets distanced from his name would fade into the ether without a trace, but he is so sure that he's firing off zingers in every one.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Shithouse Dave posted:

Hard to believe the company that's making the Cybertruk would be this sloppy.

InappropriateJazz
Aug 3, 2013

Hey, I haven't kept up with the thread for a couple of days. Was blocking removed or not?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

InappropriateJazz posted:

Hey, I haven't kept up with the thread for a couple of days. Was blocking removed or not?

Blocking still works

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

the new woke times lol. how many times do twitter employees hear that one any given day

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

cumpantry posted:

the new woke times lol. how many times do twitter employees hear that one any given day

zero times they are X employees now

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

sorry elon yes elon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

cumpantry posted:

sorry elon yes elon

🤣🤣🔥🔥💯🎯Accurate