Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Clark Nova posted:

didn't IKEA recall all their bikes?

Yup. One day the belt will break and I'll have to rebuild the back wheel.

I've had a freewheel explode on a ride without injuring myself, and I know how to use the front hand brake, so I feel like I will probably be okay when this happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Clark Nova posted:

didn't IKEA recall all their bikes?
turns out wish.com drive belts have wish.com reliability.

cruft posted:

Yup. One day the belt will break and I'll have to rebuild the back wheel.
Are the sprockets compatible with gates belts? Looks like it's missing the center through, and the problem wasn't limited to ikea, all conti drive belts were defective and they exited the business lmao.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Aug 29, 2023

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

turns out wish.com drive belts have wish.com reliability.

Are the sprockets compatible with gates belts?

Apparently not. And there's this fancy pants planetary hub that shifts based on rotation speed, which is no longer manufactured. So people are rebuilding the whole back wheel.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Belt drive is a stupid advancement for advancement's sake.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Groda posted:

I dunno, the low maintenance is appealing for commuters who just want something that works without fuss or oil stained pant legs. I've been curious about trying it for a winter bike that won't get as badly ruined in snow and salt. I don't know if it makes sense for a performance bike, but for just getting around I could see it being really nice, especially as a single speed town bike.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I dunno, the low maintenance is appealing for commuters who just want something that works without fuss or oil stained pant legs. I've been curious about trying it for a winter bike that won't get as badly ruined in snow and salt. I don't know if it makes sense for a performance bike, but for just getting around I could see it being really nice, especially as a single speed town bike.

Chain guards are basically the American equivalent of a Mohammed caricature.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

This is why I like the one on my Sladda. I never have to oil it, it never squeaks, it's pretty much maintenance-free.

Until it snaps in half, I guess, and forces me to rebuild the entire wheel.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Groda posted:

Chain guards are basically the American equivalent of a Mohammed caricature.

...?

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Groda posted:

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Way to be unnecessarily aggressive. Sorry you don't get to be 100% right about the thing?

Belt drive bikes seem fine and appear to have good use cases. They don't need to be a chain-replacing wonder product, and it's okay for people to prefer them or just have the option to try them out.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I think an exposed belt lasts longer than an encased chain, right? The belt on my folding bike has been incredibly convenient for not worrying about grease.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Groda posted:

lol. lmao.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Groda posted:

You misspelled pinion gears

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

kimbo305 posted:

I think an exposed belt lasts longer than an encased chain, right? The belt on my folding bike has been incredibly convenient for not worrying about grease.

i'm kinda surprised there aren't many folding bikes doing belt drives, citizen had one but it's been sold out forever (https://www.citizenbike.com/catalog.asp?product_category_id=1&product_id=76). the pakit with a belt drive would be cool but it's only single speed; since a lot of folding bikes are already doing internal hubs you'd think a belt drive upgrade would make sense. brompton apparently can't do it because their fold would put way way too much stress on the belts :(

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

SimonSays posted:

You misspelled pinion gears
I test rode a bullitt with a pinion gearbox and a direct drive hub e-assist and it was great, ACTUALLY

kimbo305 posted:

You'll snap the chain/cog before you're even 1/4 through the belt lifecycle.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Aug 30, 2023

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
chains rule, I can get the 8 speed chains in bulk and they are like 10 bucks each and literally take 60 seconds to put on. ALSO you get to become a grease gremlin :devil:

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

chains rule, I can get the 8 speed chains in bulk and they are like 10 bucks each and literally take 60 seconds to put on. ALSO you get to become a grease gremlin :devil:

This is true and cool, can't get a 40lb roll of belt

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
As somebody who thinks most modern bike innovations are driven by marketing more than anything else, I don't think belt drive is that bad.
The only thing I don't care for is that you need a special frame since you can't break the belt

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

SimonSays posted:

This is true and cool, can't get a 40lb roll of belt

You just need this and a paper cutter!
https://www.veercycle.com/products/split-belt-pro

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

Where do you buy chain in bulk?

raggedphoto fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 30, 2023

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

raggedphoto posted:

OK i just looked it up at the gettin place and they are more like $6.24 each

very cheap!

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Dog Case posted:

As somebody who thinks most modern bike innovations are driven by marketing more than anything else, I don't think belt drive is that bad.
The only thing I don't care for is that you need a special frame since you can't break the belt

Needing a break in the frame is a pretty big asterix.

Belts replace chains only on the bikes that have the least problems with chains -- single speed chains. There are plenty of SRAM T3's out there running on their original chain, giving exactly zero fucks +10 years later.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
If you like them because you think theyre neat well then what more is there to say

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

raggedphoto posted:

Oh, KMC's chain factory in Taiwan. Wholesalers have bulk chain for bike shops as well tho

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I get them from QBP but QBP sucks so I hate to name drop them

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
Thanks all, I'll look around because buying a long length of chain vs putting two together for my cargo bike would be sweet!

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

raggedphoto posted:

Thanks all, I'll look around because buying a long length of chain vs putting two together for my cargo bike would be sweet!

the rolls tend to come as 250 or 500 feet long, even wholesale its like $550 for the roll

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

the rolls tend to come as 250 or 500 feet long

I hope you got a really long ol' cargo bike, raggedphoto!

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Just had to move those rolls of bulk chain and 40lbs might have been underselling it.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

SalTheBard posted:

I don't know if this is the right thread for this or not. I'm considering getting a bike to start working out. There are several long trails in my area that I can ride. I know that bikes can be expensive and I'm tall (6'4" 280 lbs). Is there a bike in the $200 range that would be suitable for this?

Height: 6'4
Inseam: 31" to 32"
Budget: $200
Length of commute: This is more for exercise than commute, but if I do have to go back to the office it would be about a 9 mile commute
Terrain: Flat
Link to local Craigslist or equivalent (if looking for second hand): https://kansascity.craigslist.org/

My budget went up to $1000 or $1500 (got laid off from my job of 11 years so getting a pretty decent severance check at the end of September)

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

SalTheBard posted:

My budget went up to $1000 or $1500 (got laid off from my job of 11 years so getting a pretty decent severance check at the end of September)

Now that you have a bigger budget you should take a trip to your local bike shop and try some bikes out. You could score a great value on craigslist but you could waste a lot of time and possibly a lot of money if you don't know what to look for.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

SalTheBard posted:

get an alloy gravel bike or a flatbar commuter/hybrid, unless you want to get into mtn biking

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
imo get a upper end Trek FX, Giant Escape, Specialized Sirrus, etc then use the rest of the budget for clothes and accessories. Basically no bike comes with great tires so theres at least $80 right there

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/hybrid-bikes/fitness-bikes/fx/fx-3-disc/p/35021/ here you go but dont get a trek they are the worst gently caress faces in the industry

but they have great support

Jokerpilled Drudge fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Sep 1, 2023

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

SalTheBard posted:

If you decide that you're potentially interested in a mountain bike, I have a barely-ridden polygon siskiu t7 that I am probably never going to ride again (I'm in Raytown). Sounds like you're looking more general fitness though.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Waste of Breath posted:

If you decide that you're potentially interested in a mountain bike, I have a barely-ridden polygon siskiu t7 that I am probably never going to ride again (I'm in Raytown). Sounds like you're looking more general fitness though.

Yeah my desire is 99% fitness at this point, but I will keep you in mind!

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

IMO the best part of waxing chains isn't the potentially improved longevity or marginal gains, it's that they're basically as clean, quiet, and smooth as a belt, without the belt complications.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

amenenema posted:

IMO the best part of waxing chains isn't the potentially improved longevity or marginal gains, it's that they're basically as clean, quiet, and smooth as a belt, without the belt complications.
Do they not rust ta feck?

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

Do they not rust ta feck?

No they're covered in wax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

SimonSays posted:

No they're covered in wax

One ride on a wet gritty road and they will lose the wax and start to rust. I have to wipe the chain down with a oily rag after a wet ride. We have a gates belt cross over drive on a tandem and it's so much cleaner. We bought the tandem second hand and put around 4000miles on it and afaik it's the original belt.