Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

John F Bennett posted:

Good for her and you. It has been proven scientifically that people who invert Y have massive IQ.

This but unironically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Pwnstar posted:

Yeah but you couldn't clear away EVERYTHING which was my issue. I can spend a bazillion hours building the perfect base but I'll go crazy if theres some random loving bush clipping through a wall or if the slanted ground means I have to put my base on stilts, but at a height that isn't aesthetically pleasing to me. I'm aware this is me being overly fussy and delicate but I think those are the traits you need to go hard into base building/home decorating maybe?

There was/is a mod for that.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

AirRaid posted:

Inverted Y axis for life, I don’t give a gently caress.

Anecdote time: When I set up Minecraft for my daughter on the PC in our living room I didn’t change any settings, figured we’d work it out as we went along. The first thing she did was end up staring at the floor and complained she couldn’t look properly until I inverted the Y axis. I felt so vindicated.
do you invert y axis for flight sims

Xenophanes
Nov 8, 2015

dr_rat posted:

I'm going to be head space wizard at the space wizards academy after I heroically wander in and make some people some space coffee or something.

I mean becoming leader of the space wizard academy because the space crystal ball says it likes you and you’re a very special little guy appears to be the tutorial mission, so I think we’re all gonna do that.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

do you invert y axis for flight sims

thankfully they usually come with the correct setting by default

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

AirRaid posted:

Inverted Y axis for life, I don’t give a gently caress.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Chillmatic posted:

This but unironically.

I wasn't being ironic! Invert Y for life.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Folks that don’t invert are failed gamers

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Inverted Y for life

I don't care if you personally invert Y or not, but if you invert X - straight to the gulags with you!

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
The next DSM should include people who invert any axis

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Beware, posts on leak sites are starting to advertise that they have details of the ending of the main quest. I'm done reading about Starfield until the game is in my hands.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

William Bear posted:

Beware, posts on leak sites are starting to advertise that they have details of the ending of the main quest. I'm done reading about Starfield until the game is in my hands.

[spoller] You talking about when Vasco has your children that immediately slaughter the human you picked for the romance option? [/spoiler]

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
the ending is that you talk to the ETs and unlock teleportation at any distance and they allow you to travel to billions of procgen planets, with literally nothing to do but radiant quests and mineral mining

(not the actual ending)

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I invert both X and Y axis and then hold the controller upside down

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

William Bear posted:

You mean this genius?

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish
you fight aliens who are

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Chillmatic posted:

you fight aliens who are

place your bets

-dinosaurs
-gay
-interdimensional vampires
-morbidly obese

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Chillmatic posted:

you fight aliens who are

- The Thalmor! :aaa:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

invert y axis for life.

Now, regarding the past discussion about procgen/boundary limits/tiles, I think there is a fundamental disconnect between two groups.
1. Normal people who want to play a Bethesda RPG. This time in space. Do quests, explore, loot everything isn't nailed down, kill poo poo, climb up the ranks of guil... I mean factions, see the game end.
2. People who actually wants a 'space life simulator', and they believe or hope that Starfield will be the ultimate space life sim, and that includes ultimate immersion. They seem to believe planets were going to be real sized? (lol). I read some weirdos saying how they plan to get a job (like, in game) to get money to be able to pay for a house and live the alt scifi life in Starfield, or how some other people have a incredibly detailed plan to be a space pirate that reads like fanfiction (yes, we know you can do contraband, and you can attack people with your ship, and that there is a pirate faction, but I suspect the game won't have all the systems to properly be a 'real' fullfledged space pirate).

Obviously it's the latter the people who can be disappointed with the game.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

It's rare at my age, but all this inverted y axis talk has made me feel young. Thanks for that.

Inverted y axis age group also tends to have weird keyboard mappings they settled on around 1992 and can't cope with WASD.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I hope there is more than four (five) large-ish cities in the game, but then again I liked Fallout 4 and that technically just has one city

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

five cities seems about right for the galaxy

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i looked at the leaks on reddit and it seems to just be a lot of idiots upset that there are loading screens? and that you can't walk the entire planet in one landing? do they not know what company is making this game? honestly confused

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

smoobles posted:

five cities seems about right for the galaxy

Having traveled to a few different galaxies in my time, this is pretty much the average amount of cities you can expect to see in any random galaxy.

I'll be honest anymore than that and a galaxy starts to feel really crowded. There's a reason aliens avoid earth. 10'000 plus cities just on one planet, how absurd.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

lobsterminator posted:

Inverted y axis age group also tends to have weird keyboard mappings they settled on around 1992 and can't cope with WASD.

Build engine games were best with keyboard only. And frankly folks, things just never got better than Build

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mad Wack posted:

i looked at the leaks on reddit and it seems to just be a lot of idiots upset that there are loading screens? and that you can't walk the entire planet in one landing? do they not know what company is making this game? honestly confused

There are other games to compare it to and I think Bethesda should prooobably have been more straightforward about it being Space Fallout 4 instead of an entire new paradigm.

I am sure people eill be fine once they play it.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I just want to turn off fast travel and spend 6 years traveling from Earth to Neptune

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

smoobles posted:

place your bets

-dinosaurs
-gay
-interdimensional vampires
-morbidly obese

please don't doxx me

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

smoobles posted:

I just want to turn off fast travel and spend 6 years traveling from Earth to Neptune

Agreed, it's not a true space sim game unless you can fly long enough for space madness to set in.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i think part of the disappointment with the proc gen chunks on planets is that multiple space games have successfully pulled off this trick now. Off the top of my head, you have No Mans Sky, Elite, and hell, even Star Citizen can do this. Its a bit disappointing that one of the biggest AAA studios, known for their large open-worlds, cant pull off a seamless planet in their space game

obviously, in terms of gameplay, its not a big deal, because each chunk will barely have anything to do in it anyways, and the only way to navigate on planet is by foot so a seamless planet would only draw more attention to that massive drawback. People that want a full planet dont really know what theyre asking for and how terrible it would be to play that with the current systems that Starfield has

Now, if there were drivable ground vehicles and in-atmosphere flight with landing anywhere, this would be a different conversation imo

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Can you ride dragons in this

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i think part of the disappointment with the proc gen chunks on planets is that multiple space games have successfully pulled off this trick now. Off the top of my head, you have No Mans Sky, Elite, and hell, even Star Citizen can do this. Its a bit disappointing that one of the biggest AAA studios, known for their large open-worlds, cant pull off a seamless planet in their space game

obviously, in terms of gameplay, its not a big deal, because each chunk will barely have anything to do in it anyways, and the only way to navigate on planet is by foot so a seamless planet would only draw more attention to that massive drawback. People that want a full planet dont really know what theyre asking for and how terrible it would be to play that with the current systems that Starfield has

Now, if there were drivable ground vehicles and in-atmosphere flight with landing anywhere, this would be a different conversation imo

I'd argue the reason they didn't do ground vehicles is specifically because they can't or won't do a seamless planet.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I am going to play Starf

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
This is one of those things where if the game and stuff in the game is actually fun or "good", that no one but the biggest haters will bring up or care about.

if it's bad then yeah it's another thing for the pile on.

Also probably something that could be hacked together via mods.

Like all those exterior cities mods for Skyrim and Oblivion.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Again, seems pretty important to acknowledge that each of those games that you mention make significant trade-offs to enable this one cool feature. If you want to play games that allow you to walk around a big planet that’s great - they exist! Unfortunately (particularly in the case of NMS), there are few compelling reasons to engage with the sandbox other than just wanting to tool around in the sandbox. Starfield is pretty explicitly trying to be a Bethesda RPG first, and so they compromise in other areas to make that happen.

Also people keep saying Star Citizen but it seems disingenuous to compare a real game to the fever dream that is SC in theory, rather than the husk of a game they’ve built that they continue to charge large amounts of money for while promising that nirvana is coming just a few more years of development from now.

Like we all understand that Mark Hamill will be long dead before Squadron 42 sees the light of day, right?

VanillaGorilla fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Aug 29, 2023

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

ymgve posted:

I hope there is more than four (five) large-ish cities in the game, but then again I liked Fallout 4 and that technically just has one city

Base Fallout 4 has, in my mind, two major settlements. Neither really feel like cities, even though one is in the name. Unless you're talking about Boston

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Hot take : cities and dialogue are the worst parts of every RPG. Bethesda games are popular in large part because they minimize how much time you waste on the parts everyone says they like but actually don't enjoy.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

K8.0 posted:

Hot take : cities and dialogue are the worst parts of every RPG. Bethesda games are popular in large part because they minimize how much time you waste on the parts everyone says they like but actually don't enjoy.

This is the thinking that led to Fallout 76 lol. Insane

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

All of these games are using much newer engines where texture streaming et cetera are part of the basic feature-set. The engine Starfield is based upon started development in 1997, and still has bug-for-bug compatibility over 20 years later.
It's not just possible but probable that texture streaming et al simply couldn't be retrofitted like they were hoping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

K8.0 posted:

Kind of sounds like you just want a generic action game, and not an actual RPG?